monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 09:14 am
Back before the conservative movement drove the Republican party into its present ugly condition.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI4bvKzXYAAp4u_.jpg:large
hightor

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 10:10 am
@blatham,
The union-busting Taft-Hartley Act was enacted over Truman's veto when a majority of Democratic congressmen and almost half the Democratic senators voted to override. It marks the beginning of the end of the trade union movement in the USA. Organized labor is now primarily made up of public sector employees — these unions do not really reflect the original purpose of the labor movement and because of pension obligations they have become extremely vulnerable to anti-union legislation.

A personal note — my family was quite poor in the early years of my life and sometimes it was a struggle to put food on the table. I knew this because I sometimes had cold cereal for breakfast and supper. When I was 8 or so, my father joined the printer's union. I remember my mother cautioning me not to blurt this out in school or anything because of anti-union sentiment. Our standard of living increased rapidly. When my father stopped working on the shop floor he got a job with the union preparing brothers for the changes computers would soon make in the printing industry. The union was good for my family.

Repeal Taft-Hartley!
blatham

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 10:14 am
Quote:
Jim Roberts‏Verified account @nycjim 24h24 hours ago
"This is the greatest statewide heat wave ever recorded in California.” Records set from Bay Area to Palm Springs. https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/heat-smoke-and-fire-assault-western-states-all-time-record-heat-california

Similar story of unprecedented weather extremes here.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 10:17 am
@hightor,
My dad was a union organizer. I discounted his fears that unionism was a fragile arrangement. I was wrong.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 10:26 am
Gosh. How unusual in this circle of humans.
Quote:
Most seriously, according to seven sources currently and formerly employed by LifeZette, the organization has become a deeply uncomfortable place for women to work, with a top company official repeatedly making sexually suggestive comments about female employees—sometimes within earshot of those female staffers.
Byron Martinez, LifeZette’s former broadcast engineer and IT administrator, recalled Peter Anthony, the site’s chief executive “talking about other women’s boobs, butts… how he would desire sexual activities with [female colleagues] and stuff like that… All kinds of inappropriate talk about women in the office.”
Six other sources also singled out Anthony by name as the chief culprit. Anthony, a longtime friend and business partner of Ingraham’s, co-founded the D.C.-based site with her and oversees its day-to-day operations.
DB
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 11:08 am
Quote:
The congressional Russia investigations are entering a new and more serious phase as lawmakers return from the August recess amid fresh revelations about contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia.

In the coming weeks, both intelligence committees are expected to conduct closed-door interviews with high-ranking members of the Trump campaign, and potential witnesses could include Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort and Donald Trump Jr.

The two panels are also looking at possibly holding public hearings this fall.

In addition, Trump Jr. is set to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is conducting its own parallel investigation into President Donald Trump and his associates’ alleged ties to Moscow.

The return of the congressional Russia probes also means the return of a phenomenon that has reportedly enraged Trump and caused him to lash out at GOP leaders: constant headlines about the latest incremental developments in these sprawling and unwieldy investigations.

There will be the daily, sometimes hourly, leaks about new witnesses, new lines of inquiry. There will be ominous cable news footage of lawmakers and witnesses disappearing into classified briefing rooms. And there will be grandstanding and bickering among members of Congress in both parties, many of them trying to capitalize on the Russia investigations to further their own political ambitions.

There will also be competition between three committees investigating many of the same issues and seeking testimony from the same witnesses — and doing very little to coordinate their efforts.

"They're doing their thing and we're doing our thing," said an aide on one of the Senate committees, speaking of the other congressional panels.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/04/trump-russia-investigations-congress-242256
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 11:20 am
To get this thread back on track,

Today it's revealed that Pence was in the room when Trump wrote the first draft of his Comey firing memo. Had the memo handed to him and everything.

Later, he went on TV and insisted that the firing was ONLY due to Rosenstein's recommendation. No other reason. He literally bore false witness on TV, the man is a liar as bad as Trump.

He also insisted over and over again that he knew nothing of Flynn's problems - despite being the head of Trump's transition team. That was a lie as well. I'm beginning to think that Pence has a very small chance of surviving this, he is actively engaged in the same Obstruction of Justice that Trump is.

What is it about the GOP these days? It's like the gang who can't shoot straight. Their leadership are the worst sort of transparent liars, and yet - their supporters don't care and won't stop blabbing about Hillary of all people. It's insane

Cycloptichorn
Below viewing threshold (view)
Cycloptichorn

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 11:32 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

A brief aside. If Hillary would keep herself out of the news, I doubt anyone would be talking about her.

She pops up every other week, trying to get more money.

I mean, she isn't sitting at home just twiddling her thumbs. Is that what you want her to do? She has literally nothing to do with anything important going on in politics.

But, you just lap up news about her, because you hate her and the right-wing media knows it. It's hard for me to see you as a true Bernie supporter when you so willingly follow the same assholes who Bernie hates.

Cycloptichorn
Olivier5

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 11:37 am
@Lash,
You're welcome to comment on her fundraising efforts.
Lash

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Bernie's not my diety, just a guy I respect.

Hillary is starting up a PAC, still trying to influence the DNC, and squeezing more money out of her election loss with her latest book.

I point out what she's doing when I think it should be pointed out. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Setanta

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 12:37 pm
As I demonstrated with a few links (many, many more were possible) here in this thread, Sofia/Lash has been after the Clintons, and Hillary in particular, from at least as long ago as 2003 (at this site, one doesn't know what she had been up to elsewhere). I also suspect her support of Sanders was never anything other than another opportunity to take cheap shots at Hillary, while appearing to be virtuous and "progressive" (Dog, I think i'm going to be ill).

Once again, President Plump is the subject of this thread, not the Clintons. Don't let the running dog conservatives dominate the discussion, don[t let them seize the initiative.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 12:52 pm
@Lash,
You don't understand...you're not fitting the desired mold.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 01:11 pm
@Olivier5,
I'll limit myself to political moves and money.
Setanta

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 01:15 pm
There is no " desired mold," you bullshit merchant. The topic is President Plump.

I find the situation of General Kelly interesting. He has been attempting to impose discipline on the Trump White House, and Trump doesn't like it, and doesn't like being "managed." This like is from the Chicago Tribune, and although worth reading, the page is hag-ridden with advertising and subscription gimmicks.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-john-kelly-trump-discipline-20170816-story.html

This is from the Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/during-a-summer-of-crisis-trump-chafes-against-criticism-and-new-controls/2017/08/31/8fb32d72-8d97-11e7-91d5-ab4e4bb76a3a_story.html?utm_term=.5397ff7f89cf

Kelly may not last long.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 01:18 pm
@Setanta,
I can just imagine how you would like anyone trying to impose discipline on you and your nastiness.
snood

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 01:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I can just imagine how you would like anyone trying to impose discipline on you and your nastiness.

I can't imagine you taking kindly to anyone trying to manage your nastiness for that matter.. But the subject was the putative most powerful man on earth resisting the imposition of discipline by his chief of staff, so your random personal attack is also a non sequitur.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 01:56 pm
https://static.politico.com/dims4/default/ea65ce2/2147483647/resize/463x/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F71%2F4c%2Fae8c21fa488f8af86447b41c8f2f%2F170828harveymagap-17239610324602jpg.politico.jpg
David J. Phillip/AP Photo

Harvey Is What Climate Change Looks Like
It’s time to open our eyes and prepare for the world that’s coming.

By ERIC HOLTHAUS
August 28, 2017

In all of U.S. history, there’s never been a storm like Hurricane Harvey. That fact is increasingly clear, even though the rains are still falling and the water levels in Houston are still rising.

But there’s an uncomfortable point that, so far, everyone is skating around: We knew this would happen, decades ago. We knew this would happen, and we didn’t care. Now is the time to say it as loudly as possible: Harvey is what climate change looks like. More specifically, Harvey is what climate change looks like in a world that has decided, over and over, that it doesn’t want to take climate change seriously.

[...] Harvey is the third 500-year flood to hit the Houston area in the past three years, but Harvey is in a class by itself. By the time the storm leaves the region on Wednesday, an estimated 40 to 60 inches of rain will have fallen on parts of Houston. So much rain has fallen already that the National Weather Service had to add additional colors to its maps to account for the extreme totals.

Harvey is infusing new meaning intometeorologists’ favorite superlatives: There are simply no words to describe what has happened in the past few days. In just the first three days since landfall, Harvey has already doubled Houston’s previous record for the wettest month in city history, set during the previous benchmark flood, Tropical Storm Allison in June 2001. For most of the Houston area, in a stable climate, a rainstorm like Harvey is not expected to happen more than once in a millennium. ...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/28/climate-change-hurricane-harvey-215547
blatham

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 02:23 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Kelly may not last long.

That's my guess.
roger

Mon 4 Sep, 2017 02:31 pm
@blatham,
It should be amazing how many appointments Trump has made without having the slightest idea what his appointments would actually do. Does he not know anything about these people.