monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 10:40 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Blickers wrote:
I am stating that now that the IRS is joining the Mueller investigation of Trump the IRS has access to Trump's tax returns, which Trump has been guarding jealously, unlike every other presidential candidate since 1976.

IRS agents are only allowed to access tax returns with legal justification and legal authorization.

Good news! They have both, and so does Mueller. Neither needs to request extra justification from anyone to access Trump's tax returns.

Cycloptichorn
oralloy

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 10:48 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Except for the fact that nothing - literally nothing - the Democrats are doing here is illegal.

Why does that matter? They are still working to produce results that are contrary to law and justice, and are doing so with malicious intent.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, and that they aren't the ones investigating Trump - a Republican appointed by his own DoJ is.

Didn't I already address this point?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
In reality, the Dems' actions in this matter - though you may find them distasteful - are 100% consistent with the 'rule of law.'

I don't think unjustified criminal investigations and wrongful convictions of innocent people are consistent with the rule of law.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, I don't agree with this at all. There are LOTS of reasons to believe he did.

Can you give examples of this alleged evidence of collusion?

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more, enough evidence has already been revealed to justify the current investigation.

A legitimate criminal investigation requires some reason to believe a crime took place. Even if there were evidence of collusion, collusion isn't even remotely a crime.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more than that, Trump himself has lied about matters related to the Russia investigation constantly.

Most of these alleged lies about Russian contacts have turned out to not be lies once people take a closer look.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
All while heaping praise on Putin and seeking to both a) create back-channels to talk with him that can't be tapped by our own intelligence services, and b) attempting to remove sanctions placed on Russia.

This doesn't even mention the fact that his long-time friend, who was given a free apartment in Trump tower directly below Trump, and who was his campaign manager, worked for Russian oligarchs for years and was absolutely involved in Russian money laundering and in all likelihood murder in the Ukraine.

But sure, nothing to see here, eh comrade

Certainly no evidence of anything illegal on Trump's part.
oralloy

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 10:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Good news! They have both, and so does Mueller.

What is this legal justification for accessing Trump's private tax records?

Is this coming from a judge?
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 11:00 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Except for the fact that nothing - literally nothing - the Democrats are doing here is illegal.

Why does that matter? They are still working to produce results that are contrary to law and justice, and are doing so with malicious intent.

That's an unsupportable assertion on your part. What, specifically, are the Democrats 'working to produce' that's contrary to law and justice? If Trump and his associates end up being charged with crimes, by the legal arm of our government, that's consistent with law and justice.

Be specific in your answer here, vague assertions do your argument no favors.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, and that they aren't the ones investigating Trump - a Republican appointed by his own DoJ is.

Didn't I already address this point?

You made some mutterings, but you never directly addressed the fact that it is Republican appointed by a Republican DoJ that's doing the actual investigation. You seem unable to admit this, because it doesn't pin anything on the Dems and that's your ultimate goal here.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
In reality, the Dems' actions in this matter - though you may find them distasteful - are 100% consistent with the 'rule of law.'

I don't think unjustified criminal investigations and wrongful convictions of innocent people are consistent with the rule of law.

Three points:

1, it's only your personal opinion that the investigation is 'unjustified.' The FBI and DoJ clearly believe it is, in fact, justified. So does the GOP Congress. So does a majority of American citizens. Your opinion is absolutely meaningless in the face of these facts.

2, nobody's been charged with a crime yet, let alone convicted, so you have no basis to conclude their their convictions are in fact 'wrongful.'

3, you have no data that anyone is in fact innocent of crimes, yet you're preemptively declaring them to be so. This doesn't speak to a sense of impartiality on your part.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, I don't agree with this at all. There are LOTS of reasons to believe he did.

Can you give examples of this alleged evidence of collusion?

I did so in the last post.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more, enough evidence has already been revealed to justify the current investigation.

A legitimate criminal investigation requires some reason to believe a crime took place. Even if there were evidence of collusion, collusion isn't even remotely a crime.

You're wrong there. It is in fact illegal to collude with a foreign government to influence an American election. L0ok it up.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
What more than that, Trump himself has lied about matters related to the Russia investigation constantly.

Most of these alleged lies about Russian contacts have turned out to not be lies once people take a closer look.

This is a falsehood on your part. 100%. Trump has made numerous false statements regarding his Russian connections (and really every single topic he discusses).

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
All while heaping praise on Putin and seeking to both a) create back-channels to talk with him that can't be tapped by our own intelligence services, and b) attempting to remove sanctions placed on Russia.

This doesn't even mention the fact that his long-time friend, who was given a free apartment in Trump tower directly below Trump, and who was his campaign manager, worked for Russian oligarchs for years and was absolutely involved in Russian money laundering and in all likelihood murder in the Ukraine.

But sure, nothing to see here, eh comrade

Certainly no evidence of anything illegal on Trump's part.
[/quote]

I don't agree with that point at all. It's like saying there's no evidence that mob bosses do anything illegal, because their underlings are the ones who actually attack people and steal things. The truth is that you have no idea what the investigators do and don't know about Trump and his communications with his underlings re: Russia. If one of his underlings (or kids even!) did something illegal, and Trump knew about it, and investigators can prove that he knew, he's guilty of Obstruction of Justice if he later lied about that publicly or took other steps to sabotage an investigation into those crimes. And guess what? He did exactly that on multiple occasions.

I'm gonna be honest here, and I don't want you to take this as an insult because I don't mean it that way: you're ignorant as to the level of jeopardy that Trump is in. There are any number of ways that this thing could blow up in his face, directly. And no, he will not be able to pardon his way out of it, no matter how many times you assert that he can (illogically).

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 11:02 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Good news! They have both, and so does Mueller.

What is this legal justification for accessing Trump's private tax records?

Is this coming from a judge?

IRS investigators already have access to Trump's tax returns (it's literally their job). Mueller's authority has been granted by the Department of Justice, and he has also been working with multiple Grand Juries to secure warrants for a variety of different things.

Cycloptichorn
Olivier5

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 11:20 am
@oralloy,
I think it's the penguins who presured the Republicans to appoint Mueller.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 11:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Joe Walsh. The man's a freaking genius
Quote:
Joe Walsh‏Verified account
@WalshFreedom
French rag Charlie Hebdo mocks Harvey victims as Neo Nazis

Charlie Hebdo makes fun of every one but Muslims

Cover page after the Barcelona attack:

[Islam, the religion of (eternal) peace]
https://www.dreuz.info/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/islam-religion-de-paix-...-600x611.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 11:58 am
Quote:
The US economy added 156,000 jobs in August, less than the previous month and below expectations.
Analysts had expected US non-farm payrolls to rise by between 175,000 and 185,000 last month.
Data released by the US Department of Labor also showed that employment growth in June and July was lower than originally estimated.
The department also announced that the jobless rate had ticked up to 4.4% from 4.3% in July.
Previous data had put the number of jobs created in July at 209,000, but that has now been revised down to 189,000. June's reading of 231,000 jobs has also been cut to 210,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41125860<br />
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 12:02 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

When self-proclaimed white supremacists and neo-nazis take to public marches in America or most anywhere else, "benign" is no longer a word that has any usefulness.

Sounds deep but it's nonsense.
Blickers

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 12:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Okay, a march of guys with swastikas beating up and even murdering counter protestors while being called "good people" from the President is nothing to be concerned about.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 01:27 pm
@Blickers,
Come down off of that high horse, you're liable to fall and hurt yourself.

Neo-Nazis and KKK members are despicable but in our great nation, they get to spew their hatred so that we can all see it for what it is and condemn it. Do you want to drive them underground?

It's probably pointless to raise this but once we start shutting down free speech we abhor, we open the door to shutting down speech we simply don't agree with. The ACLU gets this; I'm surprised so many on the left don't.

There was one murderer (one too many of course) but we didn't see the streets run red with blood because white supremacist thugs were on a rampage. As for beatings, is there any reliable stats that don't come from a far left or far right site? From the video I saw there was violence on both sides.

I have been consistently clear that I condemn all violence as a political tactic. There's no reason to go on about moral equivalency. Violence is violence and if the Antifa thugs in Berkely had beaten someone to death it wouldn't have somehow been a little less horrible than the Neo-Nazi thug's driving his car through that crowd.

The president didn't call the white supremacists "good people." I know that's the narrative you want to push but it is simply false. He said there were "good people" among the demonstrators who were against the removal of the statue. I don't know how he knows that to be true but then you can't know that it is false.

You and blatham are concerned about Neo-Nazis and I am too, but I'm also concerned about Antifa thugs. Regardless, it's ridiculous to suggest that what is happening in America today has rendered the term "benign" meaningless. As I wrote, it sounds deep but it's nonsense.
Setanta

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 02:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The ACLU gets this; I'm surprised so many on the left don't.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/d/d3/Strawman.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121026220316
Blickers

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 02:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Neo-Nazis and KKK members are despicable but in our great nation, they get to spew their hatred so that we can all see it for what it is and condemn it.

Oh, they have the right to march. On the other hand, when violence breaks out, like it did the day before the march, the cops have the right to call off the march and send people home.

Quote Finn:
Quote:
From the video I saw there was violence on both sides.

The video I saw was of a several hundred Klan/Nazi marchers surrounding a couple of dozen counter-protestors around the statue, first yelling and then beating them. If you are in a group of 20 and being surrounded by a group of several hundred, are you going to throw the first punch?

Check out the video here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/aug/12/far-right-crowd-marches-on-university-of-virginia-campus-video

Quote Finn:
Quote:
The president didn't call the white supremacists "good people." I know that's the narrative you want to push but it is simply false. He said there were "good people" among the demonstrators who were against the removal of the statue.

Care to point out the "good people" on the white supremacy side in that video?
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 03:22 pm
@Setanta,
This thing you have for straw is not healthy.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 03:24 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
The president didn't call the white supremacists "good people." I know that's the narrative you want to push but it is simply false. He said there were "good people" among the demonstrators who were against the removal of the statue. I don't know how he knows that to be true but then you can't know that it is false.

Selective quoting on your part.
nimh

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 04:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Of course it's not violence, which is why I wrote the closest thing to violence.

And I'm saying the analogy is inane. Asking "tell me who is the more violent" about a bunch of childish name-calling between forum members is silly. Unless someone is threatening physical violence, none of them is.
blatham

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 05:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I don't know whether or not Charlie Hebdo got scared off of mocking Muslims after the massacre, so Walsh could be right.
They didn't. He's wrong and he's very stupid. He's always been stupid.

Quote:
The French magazine indulges in bad taste and I criticized everyone (Including the Pope Clown) who made the sickening argument that they somehow asked for the massacre (Did you?),
I have no idea about such an incident. Do you have a credible link?

Quote:
See, this is what Free Speech is all about. You can loathe what some say and criticize them harshly, but Walsh isn't trying to stop the speech, the way some of your flock wish to do.
There's no evidence I know of that Son of Sam tried to stifle people's speech acts. That didn't make him good, sane or intelligent.

Thanks for explaining the whole free speech thing. I wasn't familiar with the political theory on it. Counter-protests are, of course, not instances of curbing speech.

There's a narrative that has emerged in right wing media particularly which posits that voices such as represented in Unite The Right are being unfairly and uniquely suppressed by the left. This is a PR tactic (unless used by stupid people who have accepted it as being true or accurate). It's another variant of the "we are being victimized" habit of mind. Anti-Semites are being victimized. Unfair! Sad!

Real Music

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 06:45 pm
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/paul-ryan-orrin-hatch-push-trump-not-to-end-daca-immigration-program.html

Trump to announce DACA decision Tuesday as top Republicans urge him not to end immigration program
Quote:
President Donald Trump is expected to announce Tuesday whether he will scrap an Obama-era program that protects people who entered the United States illegally as children.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Friday said Trump is "still finalizing" the decision.

"We love the dreamers," Trump told reporters earlier Friday, using the name for the people protected under DACA. "We love everybody."

House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, on Friday pushed Trump not to end DACA. Trump is leaning toward stopping the program, according to multiple reports, though he has not made a final decision.

Ending DACA could affect 1 million immigrants, according to NBC News, and drag on U.S. gross domestic product.

While other GOP lawmakers have spoken out against scrapping DACA, Ryan and Hatch are perhaps the most prominent to urge Trump not to end it.

"I actually don't think he should do that," Ryan told radio station WCLO in Wisconsin, his home state. "I believe this is something that Congress has to fix."

Hatch, the longest-serving Republican senator, said in a statement that he has "urged the president not to rescind DACA, an action that would further complicate a system in serious need of a permanent, legislative solution."

He said he wants to work on legislation that will in part "provide a workable path forward for the Dreamer population."

In an open letter Thursday, nearly 400 U.S. executives, including Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg and Amazon's Jeff Bezos, urged Trump to retain the protections.

As a candidate, Trump said he would rescind DACA. Earlier this year, he softened his stance, saying he would treat the young immigrants with heart.

Trump could simply choose to let DACA lapse.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 07:30 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I don't know whether or not Charlie Hebdo got scared off of mocking Muslims after the massacre, so Walsh could be right.
They didn't. He's wrong and he's very stupid. He's always been stupid.

Quote:
The French magazine indulges in bad taste and I criticized everyone (Including the Pope Clown) who made the sickening argument that they somehow asked for the massacre (Did you?),
I have no idea about such an incident. Do you have a credible link?

Quote:
See, this is what Free Speech is all about. You can loathe what some say and criticize them harshly, but Walsh isn't trying to stop the speech, the way some of your flock wish to do.
There's no evidence I know of that Son of Sam tried to stifle people's speech acts. That didn't make him good, sane or intelligent.

Thanks for explaining the whole free speech thing. I wasn't familiar with the political theory on it. Counter-protests are, of course, not instances of curbing speech.

There's a narrative that has emerged in right wing media particularly which posits that voices such as represented in Unite The Right are being unfairly and uniquely suppressed by the left. This is a PR tactic (unless used by stupid people who have accepted it as being true or accurate). It's another variant of the "we are being victimized" habit of mind. Anti-Semites are being victimized. Unfair! Sad!

You really have become a pompous ass of late; it's too bad.

Walsh is "stupid" because he disagrees with you. I've little doubt that he would think you are "stupid." Mexican standoff.

You really don't remember the Pope and other clowns (like Marilyn ******* Manson) arguing Charlie Hebdo deserved what they got? Spare me your feigned ignorance and if you really are so ignorant Google it.

The Son of Sam bit couldn't be more ridiculous. Very disappointing Bernie.

Free speech is all speech unless it incites or leads to violence. Can you argue a point without trying to make a cute political argument?

Setanta

Fri 1 Sep, 2017 08:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
This thing you have for false, unsubstantiated accusations is what is unhealthy. But then, as I've said so many times, without a straw man fallacy, you have nothing to say.
0 Replies