monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

The NYT and WaPo are tabloids?

Turns out the Washington Post's Art's and Entertainment section commented on her clothing. That would be the tabloid-like/fashion section of their newspaper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/there-was-no-pretense-about-melania-trumps-heels-but-sometimes-a-little-pretense-helps/?tid=pm_pop&utm_term=.4f37c1c37012

It was written by Robin Givin, fashion critic. Her About Me section reads

Quote:
Robin Givhan is the Washington Post fashion critic. She writes about fashion as a business, as a cultural institution and as pure pleasure. A 2006 Pulitzer winner for criticism, she is writing a book, “The Battle of Versailles: The Night American Fashion Stumbled into the Spotlight and Made History.”

In addition to the Post, Robin has worked at Newsweek/Daily Beast, Vogue magazine and the Detroit Free Press. During her most recent tenure at the Post, in addition to fashion, Robin covered Michelle Obama during the first year of the administration.
maporsche

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:53 pm
@maporsche,
She also wrote a piece about how the the neo-nazi fashion choices. Maybe you'd be interested in more of her work.

Neo-Nazis are using fashion in an attempt to normalize. The fashion industry needs to speak up.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/22/neo-nazis-are-using-fashion-in-an-attempt-to-normalize-the-fashion-industry-needs-to-speak-up/?utm_term=.573ad2eece12
maporsche

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What do you know...the Fashion and Style section wrote the piece on Trump's heels too.

Gosh you know right where to find the hard hitting news Finn.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 01:07 pm
Charlottesville and North Korea have interesting parallels. In Charlottesville we have antagonistic Nazis and completely innocent protesters but because of Trump the protesters are seen to bear some responsibility for what happened. Similarly we have an antagonistic North Korea and a mostly innocent USA, but also because of Trump America is seen as partially responsible for tensions in the region.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Your Reuters piece on SF includes only a recap of the incident in Charlottesville.

Another point. I think we ought to be more careful and accurate in the terms we use in related discussions. I don't think "nazi' is an appropriate term in most any case, "neo-nazi" being more accurate. Further, we ought to differentiate that term with "white supremacist". Another such term is "fascist". There can be overlap, of course, but we will serve ourselves better if we don't throw these terms around willy-nilly.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 01:45 pm
Quote:
Trump's Hoodlums
...Putin did not invent vigilantes, of course: autocrats frequently rely on delegating violence to extralegal actors or, as in the case of Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines, on the willingness of law enforcement officers to carry out extralegal violence in exchange for the promise of impunity. Duterte has made this promise explicit; more often, incitement to violence contains a tacit guarantee of protection.

Over the last two weeks, we have seen Donald Trump send out both kinds of signals to the vigilantes of his own choosing. His refusal to condemn the violent marchers in Charlottesville, in pointed and repeated break with political convention, was rightly interpreted by the white supremacists as a signal of encouragement. And his pardoning of former sheriff Joe Arpaio—before he was even sentenced—protected a law enforcement officer from facing any consequences for a long history of brutal violations of constitutional rights. Trump had encouraged extralegal violence in the past—like when he called on police not to be “too nice” to suspects. But the two weeks bracketed by the violence in Charlottesville and the pardon of Arpaio herald a definite turn away from the institutions of a government he despises.
NYRB

izzythepush

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 01:51 pm
@blatham,
I hear what you're saying, but I prefer to call a spade a spade. I see no difference whatsoever between white supremacists and nazis, and if there is some nuanced difference frankly I'm not interested.

Don't let them set the agenda, why are you using antifa, one of their terms, instead of calling it anti fascist, because that's what they are?

We would never let nazis march over here, UKIP gets a hard enough time, but no town councillor in their right mind would give the go ahead for Nazis to march, there'd be a ******* riot.
blatham

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
why are you using antifa, one of their terms
It is a self-applied term by those who deem themselves part of the "movement". And when I use it, I put it in quotations so as to differentiate from anyone who might label themselves as anti-fascism (which is most everyone). Again, it is useful to make such important distinctions.
Quote:
I see no difference whatsoever between white supremacists and nazis, and if there is some nuanced difference frankly I'm not interested.
But there are very important distinctions here as well. White supremacism in the US has a history quite different from nazi-sympathy. If we lump them together, we make a mistake (even if both are perhaps equally despicable and at times will be intersecting sets) in understanding who they are and in why they think as they do.

Anyway, that's where I'll end this off.

0 Replies

snood

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:15 pm
This piece of crap "president" has to be coached by his aides to show empathy for casualties of a natural disaster. And his piece of crap supporters don't think this reflects on his character.
revelette1

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:18 pm
@maporsche,
I clicked on the link, most normal kids don't dress in kaki and polo shirts, they look like they escaped a private school and went into Lowes to get their tiki torches, kind of like nerds with hate vomiting out their mouths.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:18 pm
@snood,
What truly appalled me was how he was "excited" by his reception in Corpus Christi, as though it were some f*cking campaign rally. I wouldn't let that @sshole dogsit for me.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:31 pm
@blatham,
This is over the top. It's worth keeping an eye on because anything is possible, but we are nowhere near seeing para-military groups doing the covert bidding of an autocrat in the White House and any suggestion that we are is not helpful in the least.

Trump did condemn the violent marchers in Charlottesville. Perhaps not to the satisfaction of a group that will never be satisfied with what he says and does, but Gessen has made a factually untrue statement here.

Arpaio is a folk hero for many people on the Right and not because he has a long history of brutal violations of constitutional rights Regardless of what one thinks about BLM in general, it's on record with more than one very nasty and uncivil demonstration that called for police to be killed. Obama invited BLM leaders to the White House. Was he endorsing the murder of police? Of course not, but he was, as Trump is with the Arpaio pardon, engaged in political theater that played to his own sensibilities and those of his supporters.

glitterbag

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:31 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What truly appalled me was how he was "excited" by his reception in Corpus Christi, as though it were some f*cking campaign rally. I wouldn't let that @sshole dogsit for me.

I'm glad you brought that up, it's hard to believe Trump can still shock......but he seems to think it was a big turn out for him.....wow, just wow. He's exhausting in his demands for 24/7 cheering and adulation.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
So, do you really read Vogue?
Setanta

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:36 pm
@glitterbag,
He only reads it is he picks up a clue at a right-wing web site that there's fodder for his polemic. Finny only comes here to attack people and ideas. It's only thing he does here.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 02:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes, I do, and Vanity Fair, Esquire, GQ, WaPo and the NY Times.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
Bad bad finny! Sweet and cordial Setanta. Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:23 pm
Quote:
Finny only comes here to attack people and ideas. It's only thing he does here.

Merited repeating
Cycloptichorn

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Arpaio is a folk hero for many people on the Right and not because he has a long history of brutal violations of constitutional rights

If you're honest with yourself, you'd admit that this is exactly why he's a folk-hero to many on the Right.

He regularly violated the rights of Americans by racially profiling them; the Right applauds this, because they love racial profiling and think it's appropriate.

He abused his prisoners for years with his 'tent cities,' and the Right applauds this, because they believe prisoners deserve abuse.

He was found guilty of Contempt of Court for ignoring a judge's order, and the Right applauds this, for they too hold the Law in contempt.

I could go on. The worse he acts, the more y'all love him.

Cycloptichorn

Edit: come to think of it, the same is true for Trump. The worse he acts, the more some of y'all love him. Why do you think that is?
emmett grogan

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 03:29 pm
@snood,
And an even further repeating.

I remember him from Abuzz and he wasn't such a vetch back then. What the hell happened to him??