monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
@Debra Law,
Hi Debra
Pence is one weird character. He's almost totally without emotional affect. He couldn't actually pull off a role as a robot on Westworld because they show more emotion and inner life than Pence does. And he speaks (thinks?) in formulas as with his repeated use of "sends a message of resolve" as in that ridiculous photo of himself on the S/N Korea border glowering. He seems to think this stuff has meaning, that it has some actual influence on the world. Or - he believes that his intended audience is so completely stupid that they buy such crap.

This "Trump has broad shoulders" line falls in this same category of weird. Jon Chait gathered up all or most of the examples of Pence saying this and it isn't really going too far south when he labels it as having "distinct homoerotic overtones".
Quote:
July 15, 2016: “Donald Trump is going to provide the kind of broad-shouldered American leadership on the world stage that I think will make the world a more stable place.”

July 17, 2016: “One of the reasons why I said yes in a heartbeat to run with this man, is because he embodies American strength, and I know that he will provide that kind of broad-shouldered American strength on the global stage as well.”

July 29, 2016: “To be around Donald Trump is to be around a man with broad shoulders …”

August 14, 2016: “He’s a man with broad shoulders, he’s got a clear vision, he’s strong.”

August 14, 2016: “I think you’re going to be ready, Chris, for a vision, but also for real specifics about how new leadership in the White House, a change of direction in the White House and the kind of broad-shouldered leadership that Donald Trump will bring is going to make our country more safe.”

August 28, 2016: “As I am traveling all over the country, people are coming up to me. They are responding to Donald Trump’s broad-shouldered, plainspoken leadership that we can make America great again, we can be strong on the world stage, we can have an economy that works for every American.”

August 31, 2016: “I think it shows the kind of broad-shouldered leader he is. He’s willing to sit down with whom he may have strong differences of opinion to look for things we can work on together and begin the process of discussions.”

September 23, 2016: “Well, I said today at — at the church gathering where we were before, this is a broad-shouldered leader, but he’s also a man that’s impatient with failure.”

Sept 26, 2016: “Look, Donald Trump’s got broad shoulders. He’s able to make his case and make a point.”

October 4, 2016: “We have got to lean into this with strong, broad-shouldered, American leadership.”

December 4, 2016: “— with broad shoulders, who’s going to advance America’s interest. But he’s also going to be engaging the world on behalf of America.”

December 4, 2016: “And I think the American people want — are encouraged, rather, George, to see that President-elect Trump is — is taking calls from the world, speaking to the world. They know he’s going to be out there advancing America’s interests first with that broad-shouldered leadership that’s characterized his entire life.”

January 27, 2017: “Our President is a man with broad shoulders and a big heart.”

March 1, 2017: “What the American people saw is the president I serve with every day — broad shoulders, a big heart.”

March 19, 2017: Trump “has broad shoulders, but he’s a got a big heart.”

August 15, 2017: Trump “brought the kind of broad-shouldered leadership to the world stage” [that was lacking in previous presidents with presumably narrower shoulders.]

August 22, 2017: “Criticism comes with this job, and this president has the kind of broad shoulders to be able to take it.”
Chait
0 Replies

Debra Law

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:23 pm
Here's a good look at Pence from October 5, 2016:

https://www.popsugar.com/news/Trevor-Noah-Segment-Vice-Presidential-Debate-2016-42513460

Pence's modus operandi: He avoids questions, pivots, lies, denies facts, and often mentions Trump's "broad shoulders".

Baby hands, baby shoulders Trump and his straight man Pence: If many millions of lives weren't in jeopardy because of those clowns, they would be a comedy show.

blatham

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 02:44 pm
@Debra Law,
I'd never seen that. Thank you. How do these fucks live with themselves?

Actually, I know the answer.
snood

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:07 pm
@blatham,
Donald Plump stands at the "rally" and takes potshots at everyone for an hour, then the next day makes a speech talking about the need for the country to unify. Do you think he is even aware of how ridiculous he looks and sounds?
blatham

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:32 pm
@snood,
I doubt it. He apparently believes that bluster and lies and contradictions will be no impediment to his advance as president. This necessarily entails an opinion of most or perhaps all others as exceedingly stupid and himself as some sort of genius in intelligence and manipulation. He's a conman and probably a sociopath. He is certainly a meglomaniac.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:46 pm
And to be totally honest, I do not want Trump to quit. I think American citizens need to understand far more clearly than they do now that the GOP has become so corrupted and vile that their access to power will lead to nothing good for the vast majority of citizens.
ossobucotemp

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 05:56 pm
@blatham,
I would like him to, but I observe that Pence is brighter... and may get more that I don't agree with done.
On the other hand, maybe more trustworthy re the atomic football (and similar), than Trump could be.
0 Replies

jcboy

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:04 pm
Guess what was missing from tRump's speech today. No mention of the lost Navy personnel. 3 lives lost at Charlottesville. He is void of empathy toward others. The poorest example of a leader in our lifetime.

tRump lashes out during combative speech at campaign-style rally in Phoenix

Quote:
In Phoenix, Arizona on Tuesday night, President Trump insulted journalists, complained about Republican senators, defended his remarks concerning the rally in Charlottesville that left one dead and many wounded and strongly implied he would soon pardon Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Mr. Trump started off by criticizing the press. "I'm really doing this to show you how ... dishonest these people are," Mr. Trump said toward the beginning of the speech, referring to the media.

Police fire gas, flash bangs on crowd outside Trump rally in Phoenix
The president spent roughly the first half of his rally defending his response to the violent events in Charlottesville, Virginia. He called the media's coverage of his initial statement unfair and began reading a transcription of his first statement verbatim.

"They don't report it," Mr. Trump said of the media as he began to read a transcript of his initial statement.

Tuesday evening's rally was the first since Mr. Trump's comments blaming "both sides" for the violence in Charlottesville earlier this month. The remarks were heavily criticized by Democrats and Republicans alike.

0 Replies

snood

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:11 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And to be totally honest, I do not want Trump to quit. I think American citizens need to understand far more clearly than they do now that the GOP has become so corrupted and vile that their access to power will lead to nothing good for the vast majority of citizens.

That sounds a little sadistic and even a little more paternalistic. I mean, you hope he's allowed to wreak more havoc so that we "learn our lesson"?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:32 pm
The subject of this column is a horse's ass and has terminal Trump Derangement Syndrome.

I sometimes wonder if he appears in this forum under an assumed identity. In one of his WaPo columns he led off a hyperbolic paranoid rant with "I don't want to be melodramatic, but..." Sound like anyone we know?

Eugene Robinson - Horse's Ass

Robinson wrote:
I have spoken with people who have known Trump for decades and who say he has changed. He exhibits less self-awareness, these longtime acquaintances say, and less capacity for sustained focus. Indeed, it is instructive to compare television interviews of Trump recorded years ago with those conducted now. To this layman’s eyes and ears, there seems to have been deterioration.

jazz Shaw wrote:
Robinson then goes on to aver that he is, “not professionally qualified to assess the president’s mental health.” Not being one to let a little thing like professional qualifications stand in his way, he finishes up with this:

Robinson wrote:
It is uncomfortable to talk about the president’s mental health. But at this point it is irresponsible not to.

I guess, if one regularly giggles with delight and rubs one's hands together when uncomfortable.

Shaw wrote:
First of all, discussing his mental health when you have zero, zip, nada in the way of qualifications is actually incredibly irresponsible. But let’s just put that aside for a moment and assume that you can. Now what do you plan to do about it? Because I don’t hear you offering a suggestion as to how you might get an actual professional evaluation which might lead to some sort of 25th Amendment action or whatever it is that you’re hoping for. All you’re really doing is generating headlines and fodder for liberal cable talk shows and that’s not going to help the prospective patient or the nation at large.

Unless… oh, wait. Is that what you were angling for all along?

Well of course. The Washington Post editors, reporters and columnists have fully embraced their roll as the lead propaganda arm of the Resistance, and none more than Eugene Robinson.
jcboy

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 06:50 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

blatham wrote:

That sounds a little sadistic and even a little more paternalistic. I mean, you hope he's allowed to wreak more havoc so that we "learn our lesson"?

James Clapper, the former Director of National Intelligence called Trump's Phoenix speech downright scary and disturbing. And all those right wing idiots ate it up! I honestly think if he cut up a baking pan full of **** and he told them it was brownies, they'd believe every word he said, and devour every morsel of fecal matter. They'd end up vomiting turds and still refuse to admit he just fed them actual crap Razz
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 08:42 pm
Panel on Trump Defends Charlottes ville Response, Omits "MANY SIDES" Line. Trump Also attacks both Arizona's Republican Senators
(Phoenix, Arizona)
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 09:06 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-mexico-pay-for-wall_us_599da87ee4b0a296083ba142

As Trump Threatens Government Shutdown, What Happened To Mexico Paying For The Wall?
Quote:

WASHINGTON ― After regularly proclaiming that Mexico would pay for his signature campaign promise ― a wall along the U.S. border with its southern neighbor ― President Donald Trump on Tuesday night threatened a government shutdown if Congress refused U.S tax dollars for it.

“If we have to close down our government, we’re building that wall,” he said during a raucous campaign rally in Phoenix. “We’re going to have our wall.”

The stunning ultimatum reflects a gradual reversal of course and a further indication of the wall’s unfeasibility. Strikingly, Trump did not broach Mexico financing the barrier in his rally remarks.

Throughout the presidential campaign, Trump’s wall was generally considered an unrealistic proposal that experts estimated would cost upwards of $25 billion to construct. (Earlier this year, the Department of Homeland Security reached a similar assessment, placing the wall’s cost at about $21.6 billion and concluding it would take more than 3 years to complete.)

But Trump nevertheless made the wall a symbol of his campaign, an integral part of the anti-immigrant rhetoric and policy proposals that galvanized many of his supporters.

“Who’s going to pay for the wall?” he regularly shouted at his campaign rallies.

“Mexico!” the crowd responded.

Since becoming president, he has been forced to back down, because — like many of the pillars of his campaign — the realities of governing intervened.

Mexico’s president, Enrique Peña Nieto, has repeatedly affirmed that his country rejects the very idea of the wall ― much less paying for it. (Peña Nieto did, however, catch grief for not responding when Trump said Mexico “absolutely” would provide the money for the wall as the two sat together during early July’s G20 meeting of world leaders in Hamburg, Germany.)

Soon after taking office in January, Trump himself conceded that Mexico would not pay, during a Jan. 27 phone call with Peña Nieto.

But according to the leaked transcript of the call obtained by the Washington Post, Trump urged his Mexican counterpart not to discuss it publicly because that would leave Trump in a “political bind.”

“So what I would like to recommend is ― if we are going to have continued dialogue ― we will work out the wall,” Trump told Peña Nieto. “They are going to say, ‘Who is going to pay for the wall, Mr. President?’ to both of us. And we should both say, ‘We will work it out.’ It will work out in the formula somehow. As opposed to you saying, ‘We will not pay’ and me saying, ‘we will not pay.’

“If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that,” Trump added.

Publicly, Trump all but admitted that U.S. taxpayers would have to foot the bill, while at times claiming Mexico would provide reimbursements. In March, his administration included funding for the wall in its proposed budgets for the 2017 fiscal year ending Sept. 30 and the 2018 spending blueprint.

Trump failed in efforts to keep the funding in the final version of the 2017 budget — but promised that the wall would happen “eventually, but at a later date,” despite there being few viable options for paying for it.

In recent weeks, White House officials have reportedly floated a possible deal with Congress that would link keeping protections for the young undocumented immigrants known as Dreamers with a proposal that includes border wall funding.

Democrats this week said any such deal was “a nonstarter.”

Similarly, in response to Trump’s shutdown threat, top congressional Democrats said on Wednesday that they would reject any government funding bill that included money for the wall.

If the issue comes to a head, Republicans would face an uphill battle, as they need Democratic votes to pass a continuing resolution to keep the government open.

Despite the obstacles, Trump is unlikely to abandon at least the idea of the wall, as it energizes his base.

Like clockwork, his campaign released a fundraising email on Wednesday morning calling the wall “non-negotiable.”

“Let’s remind every single Senator the American VOTERS want this beautiful, impenetrable wall constructed,” the email read. “I want to show every Republican Senator a list of American voters that will NOT be happy if the wall isn’t built.”

MontereyJack

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 09:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn quotes approvingly Jazz Shaw, who tries to trash someone who admits he has no professional training in determining craziness, just his own opinion, in calling Trump crazy. Are Shaw and Finn equally willing to trash Trump for having no, that's ZERO ;professional qualification in determining craziness either, yet he has repeatedly called people he disagrees with crazy, nuts, wacko? Just the first few hits in Google of people that Trump has called crazy include Glen Beck, Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, Lindsey Graham, and Hilary Clinton " She is a totally unhinged person. She's unbalanced," Seems to me that the person who really deserves the condemnation is in fact Donald Trump.,
MontereyJack

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:03 pm
@Real Music,
From Ral Music's cite about about Trump threatening to shut down the government unless his idiotic wall is built:
Quote:
Despite the obstacles, Trump is unlikely to abandon at least the idea of the wall, as it energizes his base.

Like clockwork, his campaign released a fundraising email on Wednesday morning calling the wall “non-negotiable.”

“Let’s remind every single Senator the American VOTERS want this beautiful, impenetrable wall constructed,” the email read. “I want to show every Republican Senator a list of American voters that will NOT be happy if the wall isn’t built

That is a ******* LIE. Polls show 60% OR MORE strongly OPPOSE the wall. Flagrant wast of our hard-earned money.]
Real Music

Wed 23 Aug, 2017 10:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
I agree with you completely. You are preaching to the choir. I'm on your side. The words you are quoting are from Donald Trump and his campaign. The article was only pointing out what Trump and his campaign are saying. I just copy and pasted the article. I posted it so everyone can see the crap that Trump and his campaign are saying.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 24 Aug, 2017 12:02 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Finn quotes approvingly Jazz Shaw, who tries to trash someone who admits he has no professional training in determining craziness, just his own opinion, in calling Trump crazy. Are Shaw and Finn equally willing to trash Trump for having no, that's ZERO ;professional qualification in determining craziness either, yet he has repeatedly called people he disagrees with crazy, nuts, wacko? Just the first few hits in Google of people that Trump has called crazy include Glen Beck, Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, Lindsey Graham, and Hilary Clinton " She is a totally unhinged person. She's unbalanced," Seems to me that the person who really deserves the condemnation is in fact Donald Trump.,

I'm right here Jack you can ask me these questions directly. It's a little creepy doing it your way.

Well, it would seem to you that Trump really deserves the condemnation since you're crazy with hate for him (and that's my professional opinion as a non-doctor).

Trump constantly calling people crazy, unhinged, nuts etc is childish and unbecoming of the president of the United States. If you want to condemn him, have at it, but while you're at it, save some of your ire for Robinson's bull-shite.

Shaw criticized Robinson (I trashed him), and he did it because while Trump is acting like a child, Robinson is trying to act like a psychologist which he admits he's not. He wasn't simply calling Trump a name he was seriously opining that the man has psychological problems that can be dangerous for the nation. And based on what? Watching video's of him from the past and the present? Speaking with people who have known him for decades and say he's changed? Are these people anything like the ones who claim to be familiar with all of these matters and keep giving WaPo bogus information that they run with?

Shaw could have written that he spoke with unidentified people who have known Robinson for decades and say he's changed...he's become even more obsessed with having sex with minors. It's unlikely you would believe that (and rightly so) and yet you believe Robinson. What's the difference? One is something you want to believe.

If you are a journalist you don't render medical opinions about someone unless you are also a doctor, have examined the person (not simply talked to people who may or may not actually know him well enough to be a source of reliable information) and you are willing to flagrantly violate your code of professional ethics. Robinson can't provide his readers with the medical opinion they would devour like a chocolate sundae because he can't find any doctor who has actually been in a position to render a diagnosis of whatever condition Trump may or may not have AND completely dump all over his or her professional ethics by talking to him about it.

Robinson's also not going to find a doctor qualified to render an opinion based on training, credentials AND actually examining the man who will tell him that Trump is not suffering from a psychological condition unless Trump gives him permission to speak with him and why would he do that?

So, faced with the inability to report on a psychological assessment of Trump that is worth anything at all, what does Robinson do? He provides his readers with his own and pathetically attempts to give it credence while admitting it deserves none.

His line about it being uncomfortable discussing the president's mental health but irresponsible not to, is a particularly weaselly way of creating the illusion that a) There is something wrong with the man since talking about him being sane as rain wouldn't be uncomfortable, and b) That somehow Robinson is in a position of professional authority whereby his talking or not talking about Trump's mental health is a matter of his responsibility.

It would be like me suggesting that our nuclear arsenal is hopelessly obsolete and completely non-functional, something I have absolutely no qualifications to assess, but that I have a professional responsibility to do so. You and many others here would be immediately calling bull-shite and giving me not an inch of slack because I admitted to my lack of qualifications...and you would all be 100% correct! Yet here you are willing to accept the same sort of bull-shite from Robinson because you want to believe Trump is mentally ill.

That I have to explain this you and that you are almost assuredly still not going to buy it demonstrates just how crazy in hate you are for Trump

MontereyJack

Thu 24 Aug, 2017 12:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That is absolute rot, Finn, and you should know it. The fact is, everybody all the time is assessing people they come in contact with and basing their actions on those assessments, even tho they have no professional qualificztions to do so. You do it all the time, if you function in society at all. Evrybody does. Society would probably not function if we didn't. Robinson was overly apologetic. Donald Trump is probably the worst offender here. He seems to pretty much detest everybody who isn't as rich as him. "Loser". "nuts", "out of his mind" seem to pretty much his repertoire for everybody. And he certainly has no knowledge base to work with for most of the people he dumps ov, except that they don't agree with him, which seems to make them anathema in his book. And two thirds of the country has seen enough and heard enough of him to make and informed opinion about him. And reject him and his agenda.

Donald Trump is very far from being an unknown quantity. He has spent a decade thrusting himself and his opinions (birtherism, for an egregious example) on us. I'd say most people have a whole log of information about him and his views to draw on, and while it may not be the opinion of a professional in the field of mental health, it is the kind of information, indeed in his case, information overload, that enable us to function in society with ourselves and the people we cone in contact with. We're all sort of jackleg psychologists, and two thirds of the country has serious reservations about Trump.
oristarA

Thu 24 Aug, 2017 01:17 am

Professor Daniel M. Kammen, the Science Envoy of the State Department, told President Donald Trump:

"Your presence in the White House harms the United States domestically and abroad and threatens the life on this planet."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH9W3SHUIAEYrUc.jpg

Sources:

Professor Daniel M Kammen's twitter account
@dan_kammen

CNN
USAToday
0 Replies

snood

Thu 24 Aug, 2017 06:05 am
@MontereyJack,
Finn's got a sick antipathy toward Eugene Robinson, an outspoken Pulitzer Prize winning Black journalist who is very often on MSNBC. As ever, Finn is intellectually disingenuous here - not to mention hypocritical. He trashes Robinson and defends crazy ass Trump.