monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:08 pm
@reasoning logic,
No copy/paste other than the wikipedia quotes. But as is the case for any of us, many of my ideas aren't really my ideas. The only instance where I grant myself licence to steal is with jokes. Those things are community property.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
He is, I think, working from an axiom. A liberal politico MUST NECESSARILY BE worse than a conservative politico.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:13 pm
And we have our winner for today's No ****, Sherlock award.
GOP on eggshells as Trump storms into Phoenix
0 Replies

roger

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:19 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:

Had the wisdom of the people ... prevailed, we wouldn't have the least competent and least honest president the US has ever been saddled with.

Yes we would, Hillary would be far more hated and despised than Trump. She'd have been a colossal failure.

I'm sure I would have dispised her as much, and possibly more. Probably, she would have been more competent, but that is not necessarily a good thing.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:23 pm
Yes, I do despise these people.
Quote:
One of the more alarming habits of the Bush/Cheney administration was its tendency to get rid of reports that offered information the White House didn't like. As long time readers may recall, it was a trick the Republican administration pulled off a few too many times.

In 2005, for example, after a government report showed an increase in terrorism around the world, the administration stopped publishing annual data on international terrorism. When the Bush administration was discouraged by data about factory closings, the administration announced (on Christmas Eve) it would stop publishing information about factory closings. When Bush's Department of Education found that charter schools were underperforming, the administration sharply cut back on the information it collected about charter schools.

It's an approach the Trump administration is starting to duplicate. The New York Times reported overnight:

Quote:
The Interior Department has ordered a halt to a scientific study begun under President Obama of the public health risks of mountaintop-removal coal mining.

The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, which was conducting the study, said in a statement Monday that they were ordered to stop work because the Interior Department is conducting an agencywide budgetary review.
Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:27 pm
Golly. This fellow seems just perfect for the post.
Quote:
When Donald Trump nominated Sam Clovis to be the Department of Agriculture’s top scientist, an obvious problem emerged: Sam Clovis isn’t a scientist. The USDA post manages research on everything from climate change to nutrition, and the president’s choice for the post seemed to have the wrong background.

As a Washington Post report put it in May, the nomination represented “a break with recent Republican and Democratic administrations alike, which have previously reserved the high-level position for scientists with expertise in agricultural research.”

But it as it turns out, this isn’t the end of the controversy. CNN reported yesterday:

Quote:
Sam Clovis, Donald Trump’s pick to be chief scientist for the Department of Agriculture, has argued that homosexuality is a choice and that the sanctioning of same-sex marriage could lead to the legalization of pedophilia, a CNN KFile review of Clovis’ writings, radio broadcasts, and speeches has found.

Clovis made the comments between 2012 and 2014 in his capacity as a talk radio host, political activist, and briefly as a candidate for US Senate in Iowa.

There’s more where this came from. CNN also reported a couple of weeks ago that Clovis “maintained a now-defunct blog for years in which he accused progressives of ‘enslaving’ minorities, called black leaders ‘race traders,’ and labeled former President Barack Obama a ‘Maoist’ with ‘communist’ roots.”

Clovis also questioned Obama’s birth place, accused then-Attorney General Eric Holder of being “a racist black,” and said then-Secretary of Labor Tom Perez, who now heads the Democratic National Committee, was “a racist Latino.”
Benen

Isn't all that just special.
snood

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:45 pm
@blatham,
It's laugh or cry at this whole trump clown show.
blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 05:54 pm
This is interesting and follows a consistent pattern
Quote:
In a series of tweets this month, Mr. Trump criticized Mr. McConnell publicly, then berated him in a phone call that quickly devolved into a profane shouting match.

During the call, which Mr. Trump initiated on Aug. 9 from his New Jersey golf club, the president accused Mr. McConnell of bungling the health care issue. He was even more animated about what he intimated was the Senate leader’s refusal to protect him from investigations of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to Republicans briefed on the conversation.
NYT

It is going to be interesting to find out (presuming we do) just what this dude is trying to keep hidden.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:15 pm
@snood,
Perhaps that is the inevitable consequence when a person of majestic incompetence ends up at the top.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:18 pm
Quote:
On the morning he was being ousted as Donald Trump’s chief strategist last Friday, Steve Bannon had already turned the page. “Why do you sound unfazed?” a friend asked Bannon as news of his demise ricocheted across the web. “Because,” Bannon replied, “we’re going to war.” Hours later, Bannon was calling into the editorial meeting at Breitbart News, rallying his troops to continue the battles he waged inside the White House. “We have a duty to the country to be the vanguard of ‘The Movement,’” he told his staff, according to one person on the call. Bannon’s main targets are the West Wing’s coterie of New York Democrat “globalists”—Ivanka Trump, Jared Kushner and former Goldman Sachs president Gary Cohn—as well as the “hawks,” comprised of National Security Adviser H.R McMaster and his deputy, Dina Powell. “He wants to beat their ideas into submission,” Breitbart News Editor-in-Chief Alex Marlow told me. “Steve has a lot of things up his sleeve.”

The chaotic, war-torn West Wing of the past six months will be prologue, but the coming struggles will be as personal as they are ideological, waged not with leaks but with slashing Breitbart banners. On Sunday, Breitbart took renewed aim at McMaster, with a headline claiming he advocated “Quran Kissing.” But most of all, there’s a deep animosity between Bannon and Kushner, amplified by a lack of respect. Bannon finds Kushner’s political instincts highly questionable. “He said Jared is a dope,” one Bannon ally recalled.
Gabe Sherman
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:30 pm
Witness in real time Cruz's ex comm director experiencing a brain-storm
Quote:
Amanda Carpenter‏Verified account
@amandacarpenter
Early thoughts: Paul Ryan is a man struggling to do the right thing, pushed into terrible circumstances by Trump.
6:51 PM - 21 Aug 2017
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:32 pm
@Olivier5,
I was responding directly to a question that called for a comparison.
Lash

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:33 pm
@emmett grogan,
Trump is a mere symptom of the disease that is rotting away the US.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 06:55 pm
@blatham,
It seems like we agree for the most part about the influence of the Deep State (or shadow govt or unelected power behind our govt--whatever euphemism you use), so I don't understand why you get so balled up in the puppet show and ignore the string-pullers?

I agree with Chomsky about most everything he says. President Bernie would have Chomsky writing policy.

Anyway, I appreciated your considered response; it just leaves me puzzled.
glitterbag

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 07:20 pm
Quelle surprise
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:25 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
It seems like we agree for the most part about the influence of the Deep State (or shadow govt or unelected power behind our govt--whatever euphemism you use), so I don't understand why you get so balled up in the puppet show and ignore the string-pullers?
I've been writing about the bastardization and corruption of politics by money and corporate interests for three decades. More recently, no one here has been pointing to the deep and profound influence of the Koch network more often than myself.

I've never used the phrase "puppet show" with an attending connotation that it properly describes US politics. I'm not nearly that cynical. But I do acknowledge that democracy waxes and wanes and that we are often on or near the precipice where democratic norms and institutions can be seriously degraded. One element that saves us are all those people in and around government who work very hard to keep things on an even keel. Another, of course, is citizens who work to the same end. Another is people in news media who (as the cliche has it) afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted.

President Sanders? I've read nothing that has led me to conclude that he would have won the last election or that if he had won, he might have much room to implement his policy notions. The institutionalized machinery that stands in his way is too entrenched, too wealthy, too powerful.

Not long ago, Chomsky noted in an interview that the most common question he is asked is, "What can I do to help?" He said, "It's the same as it has always been - get informed and join with others in activism". Implicit in this observation/recommendation is, I think, Chomsky's understanding that positive change happens incrementally, not via revolution (in the dramatic, immediate sense some hope for or imagine possible). And we should know this from the examples of every positive social movement I can think of. And even negative examples (modern conservatism from the Powell memo in the early 70s up to today).

When Sanders first announced, I had a mixed reaction. On the one hand, I thought it a good and necessary thing if the Dems could be moved further to the left (continuing the trajectory of Obama). On the other hand, I knew that the Republicans very much wanted to stand against Sanders rather than Clinton but past that, that they would effectively use Sanders as a means of attacking Clinton from the left so as to sew discord and dissent among Dem voters, promoting doubts about Clinton as a true rep of Dem values (100% predictable strategy). And they did.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:28 pm
I don't remember what I ever thought about Karzai, good, bad, or indifferent back then, but I agree with him here:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/22/trump-afghanistan-plan-hamid-karzai-241907
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:44 pm
Talk about surprising.
Quote:
Josh Marshall‏Verified account @joshtpm 5s5 seconds ago
So Trump called out the victimization of Jeff Lord (Nazi slogan firing) but not Heather Heyer.

Or not.
glitterbag

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:51 pm
@blatham,
Now Trump is flirting with pardoning Arpaio. He hasn't done it quite yet, but it looks like it could happen.

Oh any by the way, Trump has created one million jobs during his term (yes he actually said that)
glitterbag

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 08:54 pm
@glitterbag,
It looks like the entire cast from 'Deliverance' cheering behind Trump.
0 Replies