Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:37 am
@revelette1,
I agree.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:38 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Others on the left disagree, saying antifa’s methods harm the fight against right-wing extremism and have allowed Mr. Trump to argue that the two sides are equivalent. These critics point to the power of peaceful disobedience during the civil rights era, when mass marches and lunch-counter protests in the South slowly eroded the legal enshrinement of discrimination.
Yup.
blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:46 am
Who goes first, Kelly or Bannon? I'd wager Kelly and I don't think it will be very long.
Lash

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:51 am
I think Kelly will throw his hands up. It's too humiliating to stand in the face of the televised meltdown at Trump tower and pigs' blood tweets.

I think articles of impeachment must be in the works. Congress is in a feeding frenzy for removal, and Trump is throwing them fresh meat every day.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:53 am
Noticed this:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/democratic-congressman-to-introduce-articles-of-impeachment/
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:59 am
This from Bob freaking Corker
Quote:
Quote:
A prominent Republican senator delivered a stinging rebuke Thursday of Donald Trump's short time in office, declaring he has not shown the stability or competence required for an American president to succeed.

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, also said Trump "recently has not demonstrated that he understands the character of this nation." During comments to local reporters after a speech to the Chattanooga Rotary Club, Corker called for "radical changes" in how the Trump White House operates.

In the same public remarks, the Republican senator reportedly said, "The president has not yet been able to demonstrate the stability, nor some of the competence, that he needs to demonstrate in order for him to be successful -- and our nation and our world needs for him to be successful, whether you are Republican or Democrat."
Benen

Corker, just by the way, is given an "A" rating by the Koch Americans For Prosperity organization.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 07:04 am
From Vox
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bMFyk5UuvxVnw_aUriip_BRjtXs=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9064851/Domestic_terrorism_incidents_by_type.png
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:08 am
I've been making an attempt to figure out how the "very good people" in Charlottesville got there and, I guess, stumbled into a KKK/Nazi/White Supremacist rally.

Did it go like this?

1. Oh look, some Nazi's are protesting the removal of the Lee statue in Charlottesville
2. I agree with the Nazis, these statues are our heritage
3. I think we should go down there and join with the Nazis in protesting this statue's removal
4. I want to make it clear though, I don't support the Nazis at all. Well except for this weekend, I'm going to support their protest, but I'm not a Nazi, I'm just in agreement with the Nazis on this issue...oh, and on immigration and a few other issues (like Obama being a radical Christian Muslim born in some other country). But not the really bad stuff, I think....

Now, I agree that there were probably some righties there that really didn't support the Nazis that were there on many levels....I really just wonder how their brains worked and thought it would be a good idea to go join their march. It was a march organized and setup and communicated BY THE NAZIS. This wasn't something planned by another group and the Nazis showed up. It was a Nazi march from the get go.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 08:10 am
Quote:
The mother of a woman killed in violent clashes at a white supremacist rally has said she has "no interest" in speaking with President Donald Trump.
Susan Bro said she refuses to speak to Mr Trump after hearing him equate demonstrators, like her daughter, with white supremacists.
Her daughter, Heather Heyer, was killed on Saturday after a car ploughed through a crowd of counter-protesters.
She said she did not "want to be used for political agendas".
Mrs Bro told ABC New's Good Morning America television programme she missed a call from the White House, which appeared to have been made during her daughter's public memorial on Wednesday.
She added that she received three more "frantic messages" from Mr Trump's press team later in the day but was too exhausted from the funeral to talk.
It was when she saw a news clip of Mr Trump again blaming both sides for the violence that she changed her mind about speaking to the president.
"It's not that I saw somebody else's tweets about him, I saw an actual clip of him at a press conference equating the protesters... with the [Ku Klux Klan] and the white supremacists," she said on Friday.
"You can't wash this one away by shaking my hand and saying, 'I'm sorry.' I'm not forgiving that."
When asked if there was anything she wanted to say to Mr Trump, she added: "Think before you speak".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40977695
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 09:30 am
Another OP piece by Anthony Zurcher on Trump and race.

Quote:
On Wednesday night the talk of Washington was whether Steve Bannon, thanks to his candid interview with Robert Kuttner, the co-founder of the liberal magazine The American Prospect, had ensured his own dismissal as a senior presidential adviser.
On Thursday morning it became readily apparent that, whether or not Mr Bannon remains, Bannonism - if that's what it can properly be called - is firmly entrenched in the White House.
Donald Trump, in a series of tweets, bashed his Republican opponents and the media and defended Confederate Civil War monuments - the cause for which white supremacists and neo-Nazis marched last weekend.
The president appears to be forcing exactly the kind of fight with progressive groups that Mr Bannon, in his interview, said he welcomed.
"The longer they talk about identity politics, I got 'em," Mr Bannon said. "I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats."
On Tuesday and again on Thursday the president made a decided effort to shift the debate from one about the acceptability of white nationalism - a gentle way of describing the racists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux Klanners who marched with torches and fought with counter-demonstrators last weekend - and onto more stable footing.
A recent Marist poll shows that a majority of Americans support (62%) allowing "statues honouring the leaders of the Confederacy" to "remain as historical symbols".
While the survey question was a bit loaded (the other option was to remove them "because they are offensive to some people"), the bottom line is clear.
While Americans overwhelming reject racism and white supremacists, a debate over weather-worn statues cuts much more in Mr Trump's favour.
Liberals will point out that the "historical" nature of the statues includes that they were largely erected in the early 20th Century, when southern states were codifying government-sanctioned segregation; that some of these "beautiful" statues, in Mr Trump's words, are accompanied by exceedingly racist text; and that local governments, reflecting the will of their residents, are the ones opting to remove the statues.
That is all well and good, but if that debate also means Democrats abandon bread-and-butter economic issues, Mr Bannon's side will welcome the exchange.
More than an issue of race, Mr Trump set up his defence of the statues as an attempt to protect a way of life under attack.
"You are changing history and culture," the president said on Tuesday.
And in his tweet on Thursday: "Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart."
With his "ripped apart" imagery, Mr Trump is playing into the anxiety of Americans - explicitly about the anxiety over cultural change, but those sentiments go hand-in-hand with the financial uncertainty and upheaval that has wracked the nation since the Great Recession of 2008.
That was a central theme of Mr Trump's winning presidential campaign, an appeal to lower-middle- and middle-class voters who, even if they weren't personally devastated by the economic freefall and slow rebound over the preceding eight years, could see the chasm from where they stood.
"These are men and women who are, in the main, still working, still attending church, still members of functioning families, but who often live in communities where neighbours, relatives, friends and children have been caught up in disordered lives," was how New York Times columnist Thomas Edsall describes them.
"The worry that this disorder has become contagious - that decent working or middle class lives can unravel quickly - stalks many voters, particularly in communities where jobs, industries and a whole way of life have slowly receded, the culminating effect of which can feel like a sudden blow."
Mr Trump railed against change - a return to when America was "great". And the statue debate, as he's constructing it, snugly fits that theme.
In his interview, Mr Bannon dismissed what he called "ethnonationalists" as a "collection of clowns", but that view seems more an attempt to put his liberal interviewer at ease.
Elsewhere, Mr Bannon has boasted that Breitbart, the publication he used to head, was a "platform for the alt-right" - the anodyne term for the collection of white nationalist groups that have seen a resurgence in power and numbers as Mr Trump campaign gathered strength.
Mr Bannon needs nationalists of all stripes - white, economic, even left-leaning populists and anti-trade liberals like Kuttner - for the new political order he hopes to build that will be willing to wage an economic war against China.
"To me the economic war with China is everything," Mr Bannon said. "And we have to be maniacally focused on that. If we continue to lose it, we're five years away, I think, 10 years at the most, of hitting an inflection point from which we'll never be able to recover."
Standing between himself and a successful prosecution of this showdown are global elites, including establishment politicians, the mainstream media, financial conglomerates and even Trump administration officials like Goldman Sachs executive turned White House economic advisor Gary Cohn.
If these themes sound familiar, it's because they were interwoven into Mr Trump's presidential campaign, particularly after Mr Bannon joined the team in August 2016. They were also a central focus of Mr Trump's combative inaugural address in January.
If one squints the right way, all of Mr Trump's recent actions can be seen as part of this overarching strategy. There's the non-stop battles with the "fake news" mainstream press. The seemingly unnecessary fights with members of his own party, including Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell. And the recent announced administration probe of Chinese intellectual property practices, with promises of more trade actions to come.
Squint another way, of course, and Mr Trump's strategy devolves into the fits and starts of a chief executive who reacts to perceived slights and counter-punches whenever he feels disparaged. The embrace of the Confederate statues is a response to liberal criticism of his handling of the Charlottesville unrest. The feuds with Republicans are because they won't do his bidding. The media-bashing is because reporters aren't treating him with appropriate respect.
"I think the president enjoys a scrap with the press," says Ron Christie, a former adviser to President George W Bush. "I think he believes this is about him and the press and how he's going to beat the press. What he doesn't recognise is that the importance of being the president of the United States is to unify the country, to bring people together and to heal divisive wounds."
As Nancy Cook and Josh Dawsey write in Politico, Mr Trump's behaviour can be boiled down to a collection of anger triggers.
"White House officials and informal advisers say the triggers for his temper are if he thinks someone is lying to him, if he's caught by surprise, if someone criticises him, or if someone stops him from trying to do something or seeks to control him," they write.
If Mr Trump's actions are part of a larger strategy, and not a fit of pique, there is also the question of whether it's correct to attribute this to Mr Bannon at all.
While he appears more than willing to take credit for the strategy, the larger themes of the Trump "movement" - border security, aggressive trade protectionism, immigration reform and a certain kind of cultural nostalgia - were well in place before his arrival, as Mr Trump himself likes to point out.
Mr Bannon may have given ideological focus to what was a flailing Trump campaign last August, but the raw material was all Trump's. And this week - as always - the man at the lectern, the man with his finger on the Twitter trigger, is the president.
The "Make America Great Again" slogan isn't Bannonism. It's Trumpism. But whatever you call it, that strain of politics is woven into the fabric of this presidency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40965827
hightor

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:22 am
Couldn't help but notice that no self-driving cars have been used for these low-budget terrorist attacks on pedestrians. Might be a selling point.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:49 am
Twitter is aflame with reports that Drudge says Bannon is out.
MontereyJack

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:09 am
@Lash,
CNN is saying the dsame thing. Good riddance to bad rubbish as we used to say in fifth grade. Say goodbye to the cutrate Svengali.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:19 pm
I am sure somewhere the terrorist attack in Barcelona is being discussed but I just read a headline so I checked it out. Bannon leaving is not going to make any difference in Trump's views. The man is just plain mean hearted.

Trump responds to Barcelona terror attack by spreading debunked rumor. (CNN)

Quote:
"Study what General Pershing of the United States did to terrorists when caught," Trump urged his 36.1 million Twitter followers. "There was no more Radical Islamic Terror for 35 years!"

Trump was likely referring to a supposed practice of shooting Muslims with bullets dipped in pig's blood or burying them with the bodies of pigs. For some time, there have been rumors that claim Gen. John J. Pershing employed such tactics following the Philippine-American War in order to deter insurgents.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:34 pm
@roger,
"Supposed, i.e. presumed to be true or real without conclusive evidence, participants" means those people that they claim protested along with the white supremacists who aren't white supremacists but joined them to protest the removal of a statue.

You might also try following a thread more closely before commenting.
blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Who goes first, Kelly or Bannon? I'd wager Kelly and I don't think it will be very long.
I got the timing right but the big thing I got wrong. Now, what is Bannon/Breitbart going to do?
revelette1

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:42 pm
@blatham,
My guess, Bannon will go on a lot conservative talk shows and talk bad about Trump. Trump will tweet back. Bannon will fade from history.
Lash

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:42 pm
Maybe Bannon's exit was a Kelly job, a la The Mooch.

I called it wrong.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:47 pm
My hope is that if he stays in the public eye, he will get a good aesthetician. Focus on skincare.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 18 Aug, 2017 12:59 pm
@revelette1,
I'm thinking more along these lines, from Steve Benen.
Quote:
One of the key elements worth watching now is not the White House’s change in direction, which seems unlikely, but what Bannon’s allies do in response to his ouster. When Bannon ran Breitbart News, he famously described it as “the platform for the alt-right,” and many of those who identify with that brand of radical politics saw Bannon as their key ally in the West Wing.

With Bannon out, those far-right activists won’t be pleased.
Benen

0 Replies