monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 05:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You will never get the leftists on this site to admit Bill Clinton gave NK this ability in the first place. This is why so many of us were against the Iran deal, it sounds just like a repeat of Clinton and North Korea and we will deal with Iran in the next 10 or 20 years, just like we now have to deal with NK.

If Iran turns away from their agreement and pursues North Korea's path, the world will slam them with overwhelming sanctions much like they are doing with North Korea. Will Iran wish to undergo that?

The US and Israel will also have the option of bombing Iran's illegal nuclear sites.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:06 pm
Cosmopolitanism notes from all over. Tweet with included photo.
Quote:
Roger Stone‏Verified account @RogerJStoneJr 38m38 minutes ago
In DC w/ my pal @mbrooksrjc feasting on Russian caviar and laughing about what an asshole Robert Mueller is

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DG0_ElLXkAAljeq.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:08 pm
Evidence that Obama was a pussy. Am I right or am I right.
Quote:
Eric Kleefeld‏ @EricKleefeld 1h1 hour ago
During the Obama years, there was never a single day that the public was in collective fear over the possibility of an imminent nuclear war.
ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:31 pm
@blatham,
So.... we have ourselves dealing with two loons.
Does that constitute a Balloon?
Perhaps a Saloon would be better. . . unless that would end up worse.
Buffoonery is gaining an edge..
blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:37 pm
Quote:
Right Wing Watch‏ @RightWingWatch 12h12 hours ago
Robert Jeffress, who just gave Trump God's permission to attack NK, once said 9/11 was God's punishment for abortion

Trump has just the best friends, doesn't he? The wikipedia page on him is fun...
Quote:
in 2010, Jeffress referred to Roman Catholicism as a "Satanic" result of "Babylonian mystery religion".
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 07:53 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
So.... we have ourselves dealing with two loons.
Indeed, this is the situation.

You got me checking the etymology of "loon". I'd assumed it was a bastardization of "lune" (as in moon, crazy, lunatic) but that was wrong. It has a northern European history related to the behavior of a bird species (or perhaps more than one). We have loons in Canada, of course, and our one dollar coin is called a loon (the bird is portrayed on the coin).
ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:03 pm
@blatham,
Hey! I even knew that.

I get them mixed up with gooney birds..
0 Replies

roger

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:10 pm
@blatham,
Bet you really call the coins loonies.
blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:33 pm
@roger,
Actually, that's right. I'm not that familiar with the coin as I only bother with large denomination bills. I'm a cosmopolitan, Roger.
ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 08:57 pm
@blatham,
Roars laughing.

Oh, wait... I don't think I know how to roar.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:08 pm
Gooney birds - what we have happening.

check gooney birds at Midway Island..

blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I rather like them. Though perhaps a tad overboard on the mascara.

https://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/gooney-bird.jpg
blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:17 pm
From today's Authoritarians R Us file
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account
@mattyglesias
Meanwhile, on Fox News they are testing the theory that congressional criticism of Trump is emboldening the North Koreans.
ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:19 pm
@blatham,
The piece I saw had two of them fighting, so it goes, but I had trouble capturing it to show here.
blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:21 pm
Now this is very funny indeed
Quote:
Sopan Deb‏Verified account @SopanDeb 3h3 hours ago
THIS IS NOT A JOKE: Bill Murray went to see the Groundhog Day musical again tonight.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:28 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't want to watch them fighting. I don't want to watch anyone fighting. Though I would enjoy watching Melania order the chef at Bedminister to haul off and whack Donald across the side of the head with a cast iron frying pan.
glitterbag

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:28 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Shame on you Georgeob, it should be beneath you to even think of a sentence that puts the right of Americans to vote for our representatives in Local, State and Federal elections on a par with individual States establishing laws to regulate the privilege of driving a motor vehicle.

Get a grip on yourself. No shame and no par either. I merely pointed out - accurately - the readily verifiable facts that states are empowered to, and do, regulate voter registration qualifications and procedures, and those for Drivers licensing on the same constitutional sovereign authority. Other constitutional limitations exist and apply, but this state level authority does indeed exist. For example there are minimum ages established for both voting and driving. Voting generally requires proof of residency., etc. There's nothing either
inherently new or prejudicial in either .... of, for that matter unique to this
country about either.

As predictably as the earth turns on its axis once again you peevishly lash out over a simple statement. Apparently you are not always as amused by the natterings of the little people as you routinely proclaim. You have tried to make a federal case over a basic and all too readily verifiable fact. I am now forced to merely point out that you have a distasteful habit of larding up a non-explanation as if it actually has merit or intellectual weight. In DOD we informally called it baffaloney. You might remember that phrase, it was the less rude way of describing the utter nonsense that tends to spout out of the windbags who are insufferably impressed with their own delusions of cutting wit and laser sharp intellect.

ossobucotemp

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 09:40 pm
@blatham,
The birds fighting wasn't horrible, sort of like a pass time.. my impression.

Cast iron? time for an italian recipe from Marcella Hazan. Her food would easily revive folks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 10 Aug, 2017 12:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

From today's Authoritarians R Us file
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account
@mattyglesias
Meanwhile, on Fox News they are testing the theory that congressional criticism of Trump is emboldening the North Koreans.

What emboldening the North Koreans is the fact that there's a bombastic gobshite in the Whitehouse. Everyone, except the idiots who supported him, knows Trump is a complete joke. Fire and fury? He can't even tell the truth about the figures at his inauguration or phone calls from the boy scouts. He's full of **** and little else.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 10 Aug, 2017 01:00 am
Quote:
North Korea says its plan to fire four missiles near the US territory of Guam will soon be ready, as a war of words with Washington intensifies.
State media said Hwasong-12 rockets would pass over Japan and land in the sea about 30km (17 miles) from Guam, if the plan was approved by Kim Jong-un.
It denounced Donald Trump's warnings of "fire and fury" and said the US leader was "bereft of reason".
The US has warned the North its actions could mean the "end of its regime".
US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said Pyongyang would be "grossly overmatched" in any war against the US and its allies.
The BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes, who is in Guam, says there is a sense that the North Korean threat is rhetorical, as most people feel that if they really did strike with missiles it would be suicidal for the North Korean regime.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40883372<br />
0 Replies