monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 07:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
"Cosmopolitan" is a word with interesting uses. Your association of the word with NY is right on the money. Here's a few definitions:
Quote:
-containing or having experience of people and things from many different parts of the world - Cambridge

-free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.
-belonging to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world - dictionary.com

-showing an interest in different cultures, ideas, etc.
-having people from many different parts of the world
-Having worldwide rather than limited or provincial scope or bearing - MW

So how would this be a bad thing? Why would Miller use it as he did? As various writers and historians have remarked, there is a history of the term/idea being used by authoritarian regimes (notably by Mussolini, Hitler's crowd and Stalin) to cast some classes or groups of citizens as "the other/not us", Jews being a frequent target. It appears that Miller picked up this terminology from the alt-right world. The subject was immigration, after all. That is, the attempt to or the policy of curtailing immigration from non-white, non-christian areas and cultures.

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 08:01 pm
@georgeob1,
If I had seen you even begin to study the research and legal findings on "voter fraud" and "voter suppression", I'd engage you on this.
blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 08:16 pm
Nine months following the election, Fox continues to work hard at making stupid people even stupider

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGuOookXsAEgsIe.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 08:27 pm
If you aren't worried about Sinclair Broadcasting, you should be.
Columbia Journalism Review
Below viewing threshold (view)
emmett grogan

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 08:42 pm
@blatham,
Been extremely concerned with Sinclair and the Trump FCC.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 08:43 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
It appears that Miller picked up this terminology from the alt-right world. The subject was immigration, after all. That is, the attempt to or the policy of curtailing immigration from non-white, non-christian areas and cultures.

That's all been addressed already. Could ya get just a little more stupid there, ya think? I mean, like, would that be possible, ya figure?

Quote:
That is, the attempt to or the policy of curtailing immigration from non-white, non-christian areas and cultures.

Are you Jim Acosta? Miller already tore you a new asshole about making that absurd claim, but we all know Acosta never learns.

I've heard a number of media white house correspondents complain about Acosta and his unprofessional behavior. Rule number 1 of journalism is "don't make yourself the story," but he manages to do it every time he's allowed back in. He thinks he's the show, and that he's entitled to control the whole proceeding, the whole time.

He aint none too bright, which is one reason I ask if that's you, Jim.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 09:13 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Driving is a privilege, voting is a right.

It's a right which the States, and in some limited cases, the Federal government, are free to regulate. Many states rescind the right of convicted Felons to vote. The procedures for voter registration and the management of eligibility are the proper province of the states, just as are those for licensing drivers of vehicles.
georgeob1

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 09:18 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

If I had seen you even begin to study the research and legal findings on "voter fraud" and "voter suppression", I'd engage you on this.

Well, that's your excuse. I don't consider it a loss.

Odd that you so often venture into areas in which it is very evident, from both your comments and some of the "journalistic" sources you cite so lavishly, that you haven't even a basic understanding of the material and the issues involved.
blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 10:49 pm
Well this is interesting. The following ABC News feature...
Quote:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell vents about Trump's 'excessive expectations' regarding legislation

gains this tweet from right wing genius
Quote:
Sean Hannity‏Verified account @seanhannity 2h2 hours ago
@SenateMajLdr No Senator, YOU are a WEAK, SPINELESS leader who does not keep his word and you need to Retire!

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 11:06 pm
Quote:
Fox News‏Verified account
@FoxNews
Stephen Miller: "President #Trump's the most gifted politician of our time, and he's the best orator to hold that office in generations."

psst... America has gone crazzzzy
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 11:19 pm
Quote:
Trump: "They will be met with the fire and the fury like the world has never seen"
Politico
I expect everyone has read or watched this lunatic's statement. Of course, no credit given to Tom Waits or The Wire.

blatham

Tue 8 Aug, 2017 11:41 pm
From the WSJ editorial board
Quote:
Chief of Staff John Kelly is by all accounts imposing more discipline in the Trump White House, but a mini-drama of the last week shows there’s still more clean-up duty to be done. To wit, notice the alt-right brigades who seem to rise up as if on call to smite some White House policy opponent of aide Steve Bannon.

The latest target has been H.R. McMaster, the three-star general who took over as national security adviser after President Trump fired Michael Flynn. Lt. Gen. McMaster has come in for abuse for favoring more troops and a new strategy in Afghanistan, for warning that Vladimir Putin is no friend of America, and for advising that Mr. Trump not precipitously withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal. He also recently dismissed some NSC staff members who were brought on by Mr. Flynn and are said to be allies of Mr. Bannon.

...Mr. Trump may worry about the damage Mr. Bannon and his allies could do to his Administration if he is no longer part of the White House team. But if his minions continue to vilify his colleagues inside the White House, how can anyone tell the difference?

Totally sane, all of this.
blatham

Wed 9 Aug, 2017 12:05 am
The VP at Fox doesn't think much of Pope Francis. Neither does the Catholic League's Bill Donohue (now that was impossible to predict). Do take a look at this Fox editorial by John Moody, it's quite something. But I'll quote the concluding graph from Moody because it tells a clarifying story.
Quote:
It is, in the end, a dog eat dog world – and church.

Have you ever seen a more succinct statement of christ's message? He could have skipped so much, like the Sermon on the Mount, like all the things he said to his followers.

Kill or be killed. Eat or be eaten. The savagery of the world is unabated and not abatable. There's christ's message right there.
0 Replies