monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Earlier, I pasted a graph that shows the Dow moving steadily upwards from 2009 (I think it was). The arrival of Trump and the last six months shows no change in that graph. He's not causal in any way. You could make the reasonable argument that Trump so far has not caused a decline in the existing trend, but that's the only warranted claim.
blatham

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:09 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
What I'm saying, is that [Obama] actually took some action to improve the economy.
This is where a real change in the graph does happen (as a consequence of steps taken by Bush II at the very end of his term and steps taken by Obama at the beginning of his. After that, the growth is steadily up.

Trump is, again, trying to take credit for something which he has had no real role in creating. It's predictable he would. And he's not the first to pretend (for public consumption) that Wall Street's wins are due to him/them. But it's merely a convenient boast which will not be matched by acceptance of self-blame when the market goes down. That's a guarantee.

Live by the Dow, die by the Dow. It's a stupid and dishonest game.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:16 pm
I see the admins done deleted the picture of the donkey-****** I posted, eh? What's up with that?

As a matter of animal safety, everyone should know that face to they can protect their pets from him when they spot him, know what I'm sayin?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:23 pm
@snood,
Me too, me too.

Alternately, I am not thrilled with Pence.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:24 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Earlier, I pasted a graph that shows the Dow moving steadily upwards from 2009 (I think it was). The arrival of Trump and the last six months shows no change in that graph.

That's not what the Mother Jones graph you posted tried to show.

You can find analysts that believe Trump has been good for the market and those who think either he's had nothing to do with it or will soon cause it to tank. It depends on their politics.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:28 pm
@layman,
Boy, I guess a lot more people hate Mueller and his whole bogus investigation than I knew, eh? Even posting a link to a sober, objective discussion of what's going on with him gets 7 downvotes.

Maybe they just hate his face, and get an immediate negative reaction when they see it, though. I could see that, too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:34 pm
Donald Trump Voldemorts Theresa May's knee.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF28cVWXoAAB35p.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DF28dBQWAAAaQiV.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 02:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

https://youtu.be/v_I4zqC7GN8

Quote:
Bruce Willis is making no friends among the far-left hate America crowd with this remake of the Charles Bronson classic, “Death Wish.”

The film is being called “alt-right trash”, “racist” (of course) and “dangerous”, among other things.

Check out the just-released trailer and decide for yourself:

http://dcwhispers.com/check-brand-new-bruce-willis-death-wish-trailer-snowflakes-screaming-mad/#TXUWXxxjSqdqZ5dD.97

No sourcing on the original article. So I googled the outrage...it's from TWITTER and the articles I've seen have posted a handful of comments.

Maybe they're the same people who tried to boycott Harry Potter for trying to turn their kids into witches/wizards. Or maybe it's that entire website that takes movies and removes scenes from them so that people don't hear bad words or maybe see a butt.

People bitch and moan on the internet Finn...about anything.

YOU should understand that more than anybody.
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 03:02 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

People bitch and moan on the internet Finn...about anything.

YOU should understand that more than anybody.

I know, what with you and your A2K confreres always bitching at me. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 03:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Blathams graph showing that no appreciable delta Is attributable to Trump. Hes , at best, not associated with any major correction to this point. The markets have been on an upward tick of roughly the same slope since 2009. DO you agree?
You mat see what you wish whether its factual, that's another thing.
blatham

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 03:49 pm
**** politics. THIS is important. Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars and some amazing editing of hollywood dance scenes.

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Blathams graph showing that no appreciable delta Is attributable to Trump. Hes , at best, not associated with any major correction to this point. The markets have been on an upward tick of roughly the same slope since 2009. DO you agree?
You mat see what you wish whether its factual, that's another thing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGTc_fLUQAUKmYC.jpg

http://cdn.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/Trump-Stock-6-months.png

I'll assume the data points have not been manufactured on either graph and yet they show different pictures. Pretty clear that Mother Jones (and Blatham) want to suggest that the market has been falling off since Trump was elected, while the other source wants to show it's all been gangbusters.

I agree that really the most Trump can claim is that he hasn't caused the trajectory of the market to change for the worse, but since every president gets undeserved blame and credit regarding the market (and should the market tank, Trump will receive a lot of blame from Mother Jones, blatham et al) he might as well take credit like Obama did.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Hello all -

I agree with Finn in this rare instance. Trump has every right to claim credit for the economy continuing to do well. Now, those in the know are well aware that he really hasn't done anything to MAKE that happen, but he didn't cause it to STOP happening either.

But every prez since day one has claimed all possible good news flows from their actions, so I don't blame him for doing the same as the rest. I do think some pointed questions should be asked re: his rhetoric about unemployment, and whether or not he thinks the numbers are still fake, and if not, why not?

Cheers
Cyclo
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Welcome back
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:26 pm
@maporsche,
I think you're mixing up two things.

Both the Secret Service and the Pentagon rented space in Trump Tower. The space rented by the Pentagon is used for the White House Military Office, which provides services and communications and handles the nuclear football. The space rented by the Secret Service was used as the Secret Service command post for Trump Tower.

The Pentagon rents from a private owner. The Secret Service was directly renting from Trump's company.

The Secret Service moved out, with reports saying that "the sticking points included the price and other conditions of the lease."

Since Trump never divested from the Trump Organization, he was personally profiting from having the Secret Service rent space in Trump Tower.
roger

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:28 pm
@blatham,
Thanks. It was time for a break.
layman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:33 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Since Trump never divested from the Trump Organization, he was personally profiting from having the Secret Service rent space in Trump Tower.

Yeah, so? He owns it, he would have presumably profited from anybody else who rented it, too. He had been giving the SS a break on the rent, so it's not even clear if he actually "profited."

Basically they were told to find other space by the Trump org. (which is not Trump personally--he has disengaged himself from managment).

You should be cheering because Trump is no longer benefiting from a putative "conflict of interest," eh, Yurp? His company threw the leeching bums out.
layman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 04:51 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The Trump Organization said the agency should look elsewhere.

According to the New York Times, it was the president's real estate company that objected to the insertion of a clause in the contract.

But in a statement to US media, spokeswoman Amanda Miller said: "After much consideration, it was mutually determined that it would be more cost effective and logistically practical for the Secret Service to lease space elsewhere."

What's not to like about the government being more "cost effective," I ax ya?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 06:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Pretty clear that Mother Jones (and Blatham) want to suggest that the market has been falling off since Trump was elected
Neither said nor implied.
snood

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 07:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Pretty clear that Mother Jones (and Blatham) want to suggest that the market has been falling off since Trump was elected
Neither said nor implied.

That's so interesting... It was neither said, nor implied - yet it's "pretty clear" to Finn. Must be some kind of ESP. That, or he's drawing again from that bottomless reservoir of knowledge, the library of 'pulled out of his arse'.