monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 09:21 am
Quote:
The Secret Service has moved out of Trump Tower in New York City to a street-level trailer in a dispute with the Trump Organization over a lease.
The federal agency which protects US presidents has been renting office space in the Midtown Manhattan skyscraper since 2015.
But its representatives are baulking at the cost and other unspecified rental terms, reports the Washington Post.
The Trump Organization said the agency should look elsewhere.
Since Mr Trump became a front-runner in the presidential race two years ago, the Secret Service has stationed its command post in a unit one floor below his triplex residence.
But its nerve centre was relocated in early July this year to a trailer 58 floors below on the street, it has now emerged.
The General Services Administration, a government agency which arranges office space for federal employees, has been negotiating terms with the Trump Organization.
According to the New York Times, it was the president's real estate company that objected to the insertion of a clause in the contract.
The Trump Organization did not clarify the sticking point.
But in a statement to US media, spokeswoman Amanda Miller said: "After much consideration, it was mutually determined that it would be more cost effective and logistically practical for the Secret Service to lease space elsewhere."
Secret Service spokeswoman Catherine Milhoan told the Washington Post that it was continuing the search "to obtain permanent work space in an appropriate location".
Mr Trump has not visited the tower since his inauguration, but his two adult sons, Eric and Donald Jr, often work there.
Security analysts say the Secret Service's relocation to a trailer outside could hamper radio transmissions between agents and the president's family inside the building.
GSA spokeswoman Pamela Dixon told National Public Radio in an email that the agency does "not comment on projects in active procurement".
The Secret Service is not the only government agency occupying space in Trump Tower.
The Pentagon is renting a 3,475 sq ft unit there for $130,000 ($100,000) a month, but it is reported to be privately owned so the Trump Organization will not profit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40829550
snood

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 09:22 am
LOL Check out Newsweek's cover
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGWl9XdWsAAnq3G.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 09:42 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And yet he's a real solid Republican?

You tell me. Trump really likes him.

Any politician who switches parties to improve their chances of election or re-election is not a solid member of either party.

Trump is hardly the proto-typical, solid Republican himself.

Agreed, but...

Fun Fact: Justice was a Republican in 2012, and now very, very recently.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 09:48 am
Senate blocks Trump from making recess appointments over break
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/345261-senate-blocks-trump-from-making-recess-appointments-over-break

Quote:
The Senate blocked President Trump from being able to make recess appointments on Thursday as lawmakers leave Washington for their August break.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), doing wrap up for the entire Senate, locked in nine "pro-forma" sessions — brief meetings that normally last roughly a minute.

The move, which requires the agreement of every senator, means the Senate will be in session every three business days throughout the August recess.

0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:09 am
@izzythepush,
Is Trump financially profiting from the agency that is responsible for protecting him at the Trump tower in New York city?
maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:11 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Is Trump financially profiting from the agency that is responsible for protecting him?

Not in this case, but likely in others.
Real Music

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:16 am
@maporsche,
Quote:

Correction. I was specifically referring to the Trump tower I read in the Izzythepush post.
maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:19 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Correction. I was referring to the Trump tower I read in the Izzythepush post.

I know. The last sentence of that article says the space that the secret service was leasing was privately owned (not by Trump).

Not every space within Trump tower is owned by Trump.
Real Music

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:20 am
@maporsche,
Thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:37 am
Is McMaster on the hit list?

Quote:

Maggie Haberman‏Verified account @maggieNYT 14h14 hours ago

Sustained attack has been in effect against McMaster for the last two days. He has said Rice did nothing wrong + fired a key Bannon ally

who wins this round of Kushner v Bannon?

time to update my love you/love you not thread? soon?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:42 am
@blatham,
http://cdn.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/Trump-Stock-6-months.png

The DOW daily closing stock market average has risen 18% since the election on November 8th.
* Since the election the DOW has set a new all time closing high one out of every four days the market is open!
* Since the Inauguration on January 20th the DOW is up 9%. (It was at 19,827 at January 20th.)
* The DOW took just 66 days to climb from 19,000 to above 21,000, the fastest 2,000 point run ever. The DOW closed above 19,000 for the first time on November 22nd and closed above 21,000 on March 1st.
* The DOW closed above 20,000 on January 25th and the March 1st rally matched the fastest-ever 1,000 point increase in the DOW at 24 days.
* On February 28th President Trump matched President Reagan’s 1987 record for most continuous closing high trading days when the DOW reached a new high for its 12th day in a row!
* The S&P 500 and the NASDAQ have both set new all-time highs during this period.
* The US Stock Market gained $4 trillion in wealth since Trump was elected!
* The S&P 500 also broke $20 Trillion for the first time in its history.
izzythepush

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 10:43 am
@Real Music,
I don't really know, I just cut and pasted the story.
Real Music

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Can you point to any policies Trump has passed that has led to this run?
snood

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:10 am
@maporsche,
I heard somewhere the market's confidence comes in part from anticipation of the massive tax cuts Trump/Ryan are expected to deliver.
maporsche

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:14 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I heard somewhere the market's confidence comes in part from anticipation of the massive tax cuts Trump/Ryan are expected to deliver.

That's my suspicion too. It's speculative.

I was just giving Finn an opportunity to point to some actual thing that Trump may have done to cause "Trumps Bull Run".
snood

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:22 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

snood wrote:

That's my suspicion too. It's speculative.

I was just giving Finn an opportunity to point to some actual thing that Trump may have done to cause "Trumps Bull Run".

Those defending Trump seem to take it on faith that any good numbers are because of Trump and any bad numbers are because of fake, biased news. I wish they could explain how the good numbers before Trump were fake but as soon as Trump got in office they started touting the same numbers as proof of Trumps success.
farmerman

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:31 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You do realize that you are giving credit for " the sunrise" to Mr Trump. I don't think anyone gave Obama any credit for his watch and how much the market recovered from the previous admin's tankage. Could the "trump bump" be more an Obama Melodrama?
Debra Law

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 11:43 am
Trivia question:

Who self-appointed himself as "the world's greatest person"?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 4 Aug, 2017 12:35 pm
@maporsche,
Maybe you didn't notice that mine was in response to a chart blatham posted