monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ossobucotemp

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 02:58 pm
An aside - lots of posters on this thread don't like Zuckerberg. I don't follow him much, at least not enough to know why...
someone tell me about it?
blatham

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 03:02 pm
Quote:
“What card left do you have to get China to act?” Fox News’ Bill Hemmer asked Gorka, after referencing an op-ed in a state-owned Chinese newspaper that downplayed the influence China has over North Korea.

...“We have the President’s Twitter feed,” Gorka responded.
TPM
Just imagine the Chinese leadership passing this quote around.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 03:21 pm
Actual quotes from the leaked transcripts (h/t Dan Froomkin)

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/893091252689924099/lwGIV0mj?format=jpg&name=600x314
revelette1

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 03:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Probably some scandal attached to him we missed. He seems like an ok guy to me. Maybe not President material, but then after Trump....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Kudos to you for humoring the poor wretch.

You're such a sweetheart snood. Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:12 pm
@maporsche,
If you meant right-wing websites, that's what you should have written. I've no doubt that the ones who criticized Obama are not criticizing Trump, but that's an assumption we both have made.

"people" encompasses a vast multitude of which neither you nor I know everything.

If you don't wish to be more precise in your criticism, then don't.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:13 pm
@blatham,
I don't understand that photo and the differing texts. I suppose it's explained on whatever h/t is...
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:13 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Beats me.

I wish there was some policy or something to discuss but this presidency really hasn't accomplished much and there really isn't much on the table to discuss....just this constant flow of Trump's image problems.

That's because you don't see any of his accomplishments as such. Pretty narrow minded of you.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:15 pm
@lmur,

Good. I was concerned that he would drag this thing out. Now we get to see his cards, keeping in mind the old adage that it's easy to get a Grand Jury to indict a ham sandwich.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
h/t means hat-tip (acknowledging where I got it)
Multiple statements by Trump found in the transcripts. Each quoted statement was spoken in a phone call.
maporsche

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, it's pretty objectively true too.

The lists I've seen are pretty stark
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
By most recent tradition, this IS OUR BUSINESS.

That attitude is why it is necessary to outlaw the Democratic Party in America.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:24 pm
@blatham,
Ah, thanks, I'd missed learning hat-tip or I forgot. I was sort of clamflugeled, or similar word, by all the related sentences but now I caught on. Ah, those phone calls keep the boy busy.
jcboy

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:31 pm
Word salads that would make Sarah Palin scratch her head. We can see that the Emperor's clothes are just not there. We would need to develop a whole new set of acronyms just to identify all his pathological diagnosis. Unfortunately, his supporters see velvet, ermine, emeralds, and diamonds, but that is because they're imbeciles.

This man is insane! Razz

The Transcript Of Trump’s Latest Interview Just Leaked And It’s Truly Unhinged

Quote:
POLITICO has obtained a copy of the President’s most recent interview with the Wall Street Journal, and it marks a new low in the president’s mental capacities and demonstrates an astounding ignorance of not only basic economics but of the policies that his own administration is putting forth.

Here’s a sampling of Trump’s most delusional and simply incoherent statements:

0 Replies

blatham

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
re Zuckerberg
His political views seem to be varied (that's ok) and he's given a lot of money to good causes (not sure about his education donations/theories).

Obviously, he's ambitious. But it seems to be an ambition to "sit at the top". I'm not aware of any serious study on his part re politics, history, ethical theory, law, etc. He may have done some but I have never seen evidence of it. There's a very fair chance that he imagines, like Trump, that business acumen equals leadership talent and some particular quality needed in and sufficient for a high level politician. I imagine many very very wealthy people think this way. I see no reason to support him politically and good reasons to support others who have dedicated far more of their lives to helping others rather than getting rich.
Setanta

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 06:08 pm
Trump doesn't possess any business acumen. Everything he's ever had came from his daddy, and he squandered that pretty damned quickly. He has filed for Chapter 11 reorganization four times, and claims that that shows he's a good business man. Four such filings between 1991 and 2009 hardly constitutes evidence of good business practice. Actually successfully running one sound business would be better. He didn't really get successful in any "business" venture until he went into reality television. He's a fraud in his claims of business acumen as he is in just about everything else.

Politifact article on Trump's Chapter 11 filings.

Zuckerberg, for what every flaws or foibles one may allege, has accomplishments. Zuckerberg and Moskovitz set up Facebook from a dorm room in their sophomore year at Harvard. Zuckerberg had already been writing successful code for machine learning and a program for a machine to program your music for you based on previously expressed preferences. He is now estimated to be worth in excess of $70,000,000,000, making him the fifth richest man in the world. Although he drooped out of Harvard in his sophomore year, he was given an honorary degree from the university just after his 33rd birthday this year.

Trump is a small time petty BS artist who whines and consistently lies about his accomplishments. Zuckerberg, on the other hand, has genuine accomplishments one can point out. I'm not terribly impressed with Facebook, and have no reason to want to see Zuckerberg in the oval office. But I can readily see the difference between genuine accomplishment and a line of BS from a has-been reality television "star."
blatham

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
But I can readily see the difference between genuine accomplishment and a line of BS from a has-been reality television "star."
No argument from me here.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 06:17 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

No, it's pretty objectively true too.

The lists I've seen are pretty stark

And there it is. It is objectively true that Trump's "accomplishments" don't amount to much more than one Supreme Court justice and a lot of efforts to eliminate regulations. The most significant actual legislation he's signed was the Russia Sanctions Bill he signed against his own will. If this is not true, why aren't any of his stalwart defenders here trying to make ANY kind of argument to support the idea that he's done anything substantial?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 3 Aug, 2017 06:19 pm
@blatham,
<nods>
0 Replies