monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

NSFW (view)
snood

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 02:57 pm
Finn wrote:
Quote:

Having seen him a few times on TV before he joined the White House, I was pretty surprised by his profanity ridden rant to the NYT reporter. He always came across as well spoken and even keeled. He also seemed, at least when I saw him, fairly moderate... to the extent that he disagreed with some of the wilder claims and suggestions of Trump Supporters who were appearing with him.

All depends on one’s perspective I guess – the filters through which one judges people. Scaramucci always seemed like a pompous ass to me, the few times I saw him. Now he just seems like a foul-mouthed pompous ass.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
The stuff that is going on between him and Priebus and Bannon is a marked departure from the image he previously displayed. I hope it's an aberration that he will discard, because Trump certainly doesn't need a Communications Director who communicates in the same way he does.

Seriously? The endearing little collar-popping, chest-thumping personality traits are likely why Trump wanted him in the first place.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
I figured a shakeup in the White House was coming and thought it was needed, and, at first, I thought it was a great idea to bring in the Mooch, but it certainly seems like he might think he was brought in to replace Priebus as Chief of Staff. If he was, all fine and well, but Trump needs to make it happen clearly and quickly and not allow chaos to replace dysfunction.

“A shakeup was coming”. That’s funny. People have been leaving this stinking administration since day one. They had to get rid of their National Security Chief, their acting Attorney General, their FBI director, and their press secretary. Now he’s at odds with his chief of staff and his Attorney General.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
It seems like he thinks it's good executive management to set his subordinates against one another in a managerial dog fight, on the theory that the one most suited to the task will prove victorious.

If that's the way he ran his business, it's amazing he had any success. It's stupid and self-defeating on numerous levels and not the least of which is that the winner is always going to harbor resentment that he or she was forced to go at a rival with fang and claw, particularly if that winner was an incumbent.

It’s amazing, alright. It’s amazing that so many people regard this inherited money, six times bankrupt, thousands of lawsuits against, serial adulterer and liar as a success. A success is someone I’d like a child of mine to grow up to be like.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
I really thought that as a successful business man Trump would nail this part of the job, but it's where most of his problems are coming from.

And just think, that’s only a miniscule representation of how wrong you are about most things- Trump and otherwise.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
His inability to coherently and effectively manage the White House is causing me increasing irritation and frustration.

If you get to embarrassment, you’ll be making progress.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
Whatever model he is applying, if any, is clearly not effective, and the dysfunctional environment of the White House is hamstringing his agenda. It pisses me off because I voted for him hoping he would get certain things done.

And we’ve only begun to see how wrong you were.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
He's come through on several of those things which means he's capable of coming through on others,

Just curious, what “things” are those – that he’s “come through" on, in your estimation?

Finn wrote:
Quote:
but self-inflicted wounds are making that harder and less probable...and it's such an easy thing to fix! Or it should be for someone who has a brilliant master plan.

Boggles the mind that anyone could look at Trump and see someone with a “master plan”.

Finn wrote:
Quote:
I also freely admit that I don't want him to go down in flames because I don't think I could stand the self-congratulatory gloating of the Resistance. I might have to become a Taoist monk and live out the rest of my life in a cave.

Believe it or not, I don’t think I’d spend much time gloating. Because by that time a hell of a lot of damage will have been done to the country. I’d like to think that on fora like this my efforts would be at trying to make points in the emerging narrative about where the hell we can go from there.
snood

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:02 pm
True to form, Trump just tweeted that John Kelly was in, and Priebus was out as chief of staff. I bet dollars to doughnuts he didn't bother giving Priebus a heads up.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:14 pm
Very interesting

What Is Fusion GPS? You may have heard a bit about Fusion GPS, “the opposition research firm that paid former MI6 spy Christopher Steele to collect intelligence on the Trump campaign’s ties with Russia.” This is what ultimately turned into that dossier that was full of increasingly absurd and salacious claims of collusion, blackmail, and other nefarious ties between Donald Trump and the Russian government. William Browder, the head of Hermitage Capital Management, testified before the Senate yesterday, and offered some really intriguing allegations.

Go back a few years, when Congress debated, and ultimately passed, the “Magnitsky Act,” aiming to punish Russian officials who were thought to be responsible for the death of Russian auditor Sergei Magnitsky. The law prohibits these Russian officials from entering the United States and using its banking system.

Browder testified:
Quote:
Veselnitskaya, through Baker Hostetler, hired Glenn Simpson of the firm Fusion GPS to conduct a smear campaign against me and Sergei Magnitsky in advance of congressional hearings on the Global Magnitsky Act. He contacted a number of major newspapers and other publications to spread false information that Sergei Magnitsky was not murdered, was not a whistle-blower, and was instead a criminal. They also spread false information that my presentations to lawmakers around the world were untrue.

The “Veselnitskaya” he’s referring to is Natalia Veselnitskaya, that Russian lawyer who looks like Valerie Bertinelli who was in that meeting with Donald Trump Jr., Paul Manafort, and Jared Kushner. You may recall their characterization of the meeting as being about “Russian adoptions” – in particular, the law the Russian government passed in response to the Magnitsky Act. In other words, here’s this Russian lawyer, pushing for a goal of the Russian government . . . who has also hired a firm to investigate the presidential candidate she’s seeking to persuade on a policy change. And that dossier was being shopped around to journalists for months, meaning before the 2016 presidential election:

Quote:
The documents have circulated for months and acquired a kind of legendary status among journalists, lawmakers, and intelligence officials who have seen them. Mother Jones writer David Corn referred to the documents in a late October column.

Does this sound like someone was hedging their bets? Trying to persuade the Republican nominee, while simultaneously putting together an unsavory dossier on him?

Fusion GPS’s defense is, “The President’s political allies are going after Fusion GPS because it was reported to be the first to raise the alarm about the Trump campaign’s links with Russia.” Except, if Browder’s telling the truth, they were working for the Russians at that time.

Move on to this exchange with Sen. Lindsey Graham:

Quote:
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM: This whole story reads like some kind of novel that nobody would buy, it’s got to be fiction, but unfortunately maybe it’s true. Let’s just break down sort of why you’re here. You believe that Fusion GPS should have registered under FARA, because they were acting on the behalf of the Russians?

Quote:
WILLIAM BROWDER: That’s correct.

Quote:
SEN. GRAHAM: So, I just want to absorb that for a moment. The group that did the dossier on President Trump hired this British spy, wound up getting it to the FBI. You believe they were working for the Russians
?

Quote:
BROWDER: And in the spring and summer of 2016 they were receiving money indirectly from a senior Russian government official.

Quote:
SEN. GRAHAM: Okay. So, these are the people that were trying to undermine Donald Trump by showing the nefarious ties to Russia. Is that what you’re saying?

Quote:
BROWDER: Well, what I’m saying with 100% certainty is that they were working to undermine the Magnitsky act and the timing of that.

Quote:
SEN. GRAHAM: But, the Fusion GPS products apparently as they hired a guy to look into Trump?

Quote:
BROWDER: Yes.

Lee Smith, writing at Tablet, points out that we’re now in a really murky area where the line between a typical public relations firm pitching stories and a foreign government shaping American news coverage is really hard to see anymore. “What’s new about Fusion GPS and its fellow DC oppo shops – few of which register as foreign lobbyists – is that they take money from entities linked to foreign governments that are eager to re- frame or invent news stories to punish their enemies at home and torque American foreign policy by controlling information.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/jolt
layman

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:16 pm
Trump wrote:
“I am pleased to inform you that I have just named General/Secretary John F Kelly as White House Chief of Staff,” Trump said on Twitter. “He is a Great American and a Great Leader. John has also done a spectacular job at Homeland Security. He has been a true star of my Administration.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-28/trump-replaces-priebus-as-chief-of-staff-with-dhs-chief-kelly
Debra Law

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:19 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

True to form, Trump just tweeted that John Kelly was in, and Priebus was out as chief of staff. I bet dollars to doughnuts he didn't bother giving Priebus a heads up.

It may not be long before the mooch follows.

After all, mooch told everyone there were only two people in the Whitehouse whose **** didn't stink ... Trump and himself ....

Oops. He put himself on the same level as Trump.

And he may be getting more press coverage than Trump.

That's not good for mooch's longevity.

snood

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:30 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
He put himself on the same level as Trump.

I agree. And after tomorrow night, when a 'Mooch' SNL character is almost certainly going to be rolled out, his profile and fame are just going to grow. And The Don can't have anyone getting more famous than him.
Debra Law

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:41 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Quote:
He put himself on the same level as Trump.

I agree. And after tomorrow night, when a 'Mooch' SNL character is almost certainly going to be rolled out, his profile and fame are just going to grow. And The Don can't have anyone getting more famous than him.

Perhaps The Don, Mooch, Sean Hannity, and Bill Shine met for dinner at the White House to discuss the launch of a new "Presidential Network" for our 24/7 viewing enjoyment of a new "reality" (or "alternative fact") show: THE DON, his magnificence, his accomplishments, and his wealth.

I would like to see SNL portray that dinner meeting.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:41 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
What had McCain done of which Trump became aware, that led to the vicious counter-punch.

I don't see this as a "vicious counter-punch," really. His point, while obviously intended to piss off McCain, had some semi-valid merit, I suppose. McCain himself has seemed to make the same point.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. Casting aspersions on any aspect of the service of a man who endured any time in the Hanoi Hilton is to me "vicious."

Most people prefer success to failure. If getting caught means failure and not getting caught implies success, then, obviously, not getting captured is preferable.

When Trump said he was "only a hero because he was captured," I think he was pointing that much of the narrative about McCain's heroics was centered around the fact that he was tortured by the VC.

Of course, Trump later rejected the MSN spin that Trump was saying that a captured serviceman could not be a "hero."

Too little, too late. You can't unsay what has be said, and especially not with John McCain.

jcboy

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:43 pm
People are not playin' around with these Republicans assholes anymore. They're gonna start to feel the backlash real soon. From everything from like advocating police brutality to voting against our healthcare.

Trump is now firing back with police clapping for him, talking about how police violence is now acceptable!!! Disgusting!!!

http://i67.tinypic.com/20ubzpw.jpg
snood

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 03:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
1) He banned filthy Muslims from stepping onto our sacred soil
2) He's banned weirdo transgenders from serving in our sacred military
3) He's reduced the the number of filthy wetbacks crossing into our sacred nation by about 70%
4) He sent a bunch of our sacred cruise missiles to blow up a filthy Syrian airstrip

I thought for a minute that Layman had hijacked your account. Filthy muslims and weirdo transgenders and filthy wetbacks and sacred cruise missiles... I don't mind risking your calling me dense because I don't get the joke by asking -Your idea of humor, I hope?