monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Sturgis

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:52 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I didn't know you had standards.

I have a Crane. Not sure if I've ever had an American Standard brand toilet.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:55 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Oh ****, I didn't know you had standards.

I continue to communicate with you, so obviously I don't.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 10:56 pm
@glitterbag,
OK, just to even things out and not be all feministy......Scaramucci looks like a diamond pinky ring, and Trump is a rumpled, wrinkled suit wearing man who doesn't shine his shoes because he hates anything that shines more than his ego. He's a bubble butted debt dodger with megalomaniacal needs to be worshipped by the citizens he pretends to serve unless he gets to sit at the knees of Putin or the Russian Foreign Minister while they mock they people of the US as lacking. Ain't that great? Trump is anxious to please the folks who mock the free world.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Not necessarily, but why do you think the White House Press secretary handles hair and makeup? Is that what Sean did???

Yes, yes, I know Huckabee is Pinky Rings subordinate.....but I bet they have staff to take care of stuff like that. By the way, it never occurred to me that Sarah might be gay.......she couldn't possibly be gay.....her clothing is so dreadful.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
I didn't know you had standards.

I have a Crane. Not sure if I've ever had an American Standard brand toilet.

Is that the one that is low flow, or higher than the regular, oblong or one of those round babies?
Sturgis

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:13 pm
@glitterbag,
Supposedly a water saver , which is a joke because it needs double and triple flushing to get any water through.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 24 Jul, 2017 11:50 pm
SHOCK: Trump Considering 1st Amendment Clampdown
(May 2, 2017)

0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:18 am
Why Can't Donald Trump Take Criticism?
(Dec 4, 2016)

0 Replies

layman

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:56 am
Nice try, cheese-eaters:

Quote:
Judge clears way for Trump commission to collect voter data

A federal judge on Monday cleared the way for President Donald Trump's commission on election fraud to resume collecting detailed voter roll information from the states.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington filed a suit to block the data collection. "The commission cannot evade privacy obligations by playing a shell game with the nation's voting records," EPIC president Marc Rotenberg said.

U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, in the District of Columbia, denied the advocacy group's request. The judge also found the group failed to show that its members would be harmed by the data collection.

Voter fraud, referred to by cheese-eaters only as "voter suppression," is gunna be exposed. We know they hate to lose their illegal voters, but them's the breaks, eh? Criminal enterprises can only last so long before they are crushed.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 01:12 am
Tony Scar aint takin no prisioners, eh?:

Quote:
RNC officials who followed Spicer, Priebus to White House worried about jobs, sources say

Multiple former Republican National Committee officials who followed Reince Preibus and Sean Spicer to the White House are “seriously concerned” about their jobs now that President Trump tapped Anthony Scaramucci as his new communications director, White House sources said.

The Post, citing several unnamed officials, reported that Scaramucci has started an audit on staffers. He is reportedly meeting with them and weeding out “those he determines are not working hard enough to defend the president.”

“We have to get the leaks stopped,” Scaramucci, named Friday to the post, told “Fox News Sunday.” “What’s going on right now is a high level of unprofessionalism, and it’s not helping the president. … I will take drastic action to stop the leaks.

Those most aghast are the MSM reporters who bribe and otherwise manipulate weak-ass white aides. Where will they get the gossip they report as truth from now, they wonder?

Reckless disregard for truth subjects the press to liability for libel, so they try to cover their ass by saying they got their information from what they believed to be "reliable sources." Now they might have to risk it all and just make **** up, whole cloth, to keep their cheese-eating audience satisfied and to keep the money from the chumps rolling in.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 01:22 am
@blatham,
He's dressed like a baby. Is he one of those weirdos who likes getting his nappy changed?

He looks like Eddie Large after a crystal meth binge.
izzythepush

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 01:31 am
Maybe it's just the luddite in me but I find this quite scary.

Quote:
A Wisconsin company is to become the first in the US to microchip employees.
Three Square Market is offering to implant the tiny radio-frequency identification (RFID) chip into workers' hands for free - and says everyone will soon be doing it.
The rice grain-sized $300 (£230) chip will allow them to open doors, log in to computers and even purchase food.
And so far, 50 employees have signed up for the chance to become half-human, half-walking credit card.
But far from being some sort of dystopian nightmare, Three Square Market's Patrick McMullan believes everyone will soon be wanting their own microchip.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40710051
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 01:59 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
When the ACA went into effect, it made it possible for that mother to put her daughter on her insurance, why didn't she do it? So instead of being personally responsible for her family as an adult should, her daughter dies

Her daughter was on her insurance plan.

She just didn't know it, so she got the ER treatment of an uninsured person: instead of completing an MRI, the hospital pressured her into being released.
layman

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 03:19 am
This article by a UCLA law professor was published in the Washington Post. They should read it carefully:

Quote:
Libel by implication

The Memphis Press-Scimitar published the following article that mentioned Mrs. Ruth Ann Nichols:

Quote:
WOMAN HURT BY GUNSHOT

Mrs. Ruth A. Nichols, 164 Eastview, was treated at St. Joseph Hospital for a bullet wound in her arm after a shooting at her home, police said.

A 40-year-old woman was held by police in connection with the shooting with a .22 rifle. Police said a shot was also fired at the suspect’s husband.

Officers said the incident took place Thursday night after the suspect arrived at the Nichols home and found her husband there with Mrs. Nichols.

Witnesses said the suspect first fired a shot at her husband and then at Mrs. Nichols, striking her in the arm, police reported.

No charges had been placed.

Did you read the story as suggesting that the shooter found her husband in a compromising position with Mrs. Nichols — perhaps having sex, or having had sex, or being just about to have sex? That’s apparently how many readers read the story as well.

But it turns out that, though each statement in the story was literally true, Mrs. Nichols was at the Nichols home together with the shooter’s husband, Mr. Nichols, and two neighbors. They were apparently all sitting in the living room, talking.

The court concluded that the story could be libelous — assuming negligence was shown on the newspaper’s part — because, even though the statements were literally true, they carried a strong implication (that the husband and Mrs. Nichols were together by themselves in a compromising position) that was false:

the court wrote:
In our opinion, the defendant’s reliance on the truth of the facts stated in the article in question is misplaced. The proper question is whether the meaning reasonably conveyed by the published words is defamatory, “whether the libel as published would have a different effect on the mind of the reader from that which the pleaded truth would have produced.” The published statement, therefore, so distorted the truth as to make the entire article false and defamatory. It is no defense whatever that individual statements within the article were literally true.

When a statement carries a very strong implication that turns out to be false, a libel claim can indeed be brought even when the statement is literally true.

=====

Another classic example — though just a hypothetical and not a real case — involves the first mate who, upset by his teetotaling captain, writes in the ship’s log,

Captain sober today.

The statement may be literally accurate (the captain was sober today, as on all days) but it carries a very strong implication that turns out to be false (that today was unusual in this respect).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/05/12/more-on-libel-by-implication/?utm_term=.96f5500a1ee1

"The published statement, therefore, so distorted the truth as to make the entire article false and defamatory." AKA fake news.

Wapo libels by implication every day of the week. They think Trump won't file suit against their sorry ass, the chumps.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 03:43 am
Quote:
Scientists are "very worried" that the melting of the Greenland ice sheet could accelerate and raise sea levels more than expected.
They say warmer conditions are encouraging algae to grow and darken the surface.
Dark ice absorbs more solar radiation than clean white ice so warms up and melts more rapidly.
Currently the Greenland ice sheet is adding up to 1mm a year to the rise in the global average level of the oceans.
It is the largest mass of ice in the northern hemisphere covering an area about seven times the size of the United Kingdom and reaching up to 3km (2 miles) in thickness.
This means that the average sea level would rise around the world by about seven metres, more than 20ft, if it all melted.
That is why Greenland, though remote, is a focus of research which has direct relevance to major coastal cities as far apart as Miami, London and Shanghai and low-lying areas in Bangladesh and parts of Britain.
Algae were first observed on the Greenland ice sheet more than a century ago but until recently its potential impact was ignored. Only in the last few years have researchers started to explore how the microscopically small plants could affect future melting.
A five-year UK research project known as Black and Bloom is under way to investigate the different species of algae and how they might spread, and then to use this knowledge to improve computer projections of future sea level rise.
The possibility of biologically inspired melting was not included in the estimates for sea level rise published by the UN's climate panel, the IPCC, in its latest report in 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40686984
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I can see why Oralloy likes him, he makes the same meaningless boasts about brilliance and that's it.

I presume you mean Trump. You were replying to a post about Kushner.

I do in fact like Trump. The main reason I like him is because he isn't trying to eradicate the Second Amendment.

But you appear to be confusing my factual defense of Trump as a sign that I like him. Actually I'd be defending Trump from untrue accusations even if I did not like him.

As for my intellectual superiority, if it bothers you to hear about it, don't bring it up all the time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:07 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I was thinking the other day, I argued and debated the Bush Iraq war and the tax give aways for around 6 years and I don't recall getting so burned out as I have since Trump has been office. I am not ever sure why that is the case. I mean when you think about it, Bush and Iraq war/torture and all the rest was way more terrible than this Russian stuff and Trump. Yet I am completely burnt out and disgusted with Trump and all the people and events connected to him or in support of him here on A2k.
Just saying.

The anti-Trump position largely depends on avoiding all contact with reality. That might be the source of your exhaustion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:11 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
And people who support and defend him have to contort their arguments to defend something unrecognizable as conservative or christian or sometimes even a sympathetic human.

All it takes to defend Trump is a willingness to point out facts and reality.

snood wrote:
Trying to carry on an argument/discussion with a Trump supporter is like two people trying to carry a long heavy plank of wood, with only one person holding their end. You have the whole burden, and they have none.

That's because the entire political philosophy of liberalism is based on denying reality.

snood wrote:
They can say anything, lie all the time, and take no responsibility - just like Trump.

It is the liberals who are spouting untrue gibberish and it is the Trump supporters who are pointing out facts.

snood wrote:
I think your exhaustion (and I share it, and suspect many do) comes from having to try to use the same tools of logic, morality and common sense as you ordinarily would, but you have to use them to contend with a phenomenon who has no allegiance to any of those things, - or even to reality itself.

All the logic and morality is coming from the trump supporters. The liberals are the ones who refuse to adhere to reality.

Common sense is most often invoked by Fascists when they argue for violating civil rights, so I'll agree with you on that one. That's a leftist phenomenon.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:14 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I, too, am puzzled and disgusted with the behavior of some of Mr. Trump's more rabid defenders on A2K and other forums and I have to make quite an effort not to join in the childish name-calling and juvenile attempts at sarcasm.

I'm not aware of any such bad behavior. Most of the problem that I see tends to be liberals engaging in name-calling.

hightor wrote:
I brought this up here a week or so ago and got accused of "having a stick up my posterior", received an unsolicited analysis of my psychopathology, and got the full GOP "what about" treatment — something like "bobsal posted cartoons and you all were fine with that."

I think I must have missed whatever thread that was on. The problem with Bobsal was the truly horrendous namecalling that he engaged in. Bobsal on a normal day was as bad as Blatham at his worst.

hightor wrote:
blatham is right — don't bother engaging with these people. Refute their misstatements with facts but forget about finding "common ground".

In general it is the left who are making the misstatements and the Trump supporters who are refuting them with facts.

True though that there is no point in finding common ground. Liberalism needs to be politically annihilated. There is no point in bothering with common ground.

hightor wrote:
Trump's mobs have never been interested in having a respectful dialog or an actual conversation.

It probably depends on which mob it is. Trump supporters on a2k seem pretty interested in conversation.

hightor wrote:
We can use A2K to share information and insights among ourselves and let the Trump mob rave on, ignored — a tale of two echo chambers. And so it goes.

Echo chambers are boring. If I wanted to talk with someone who always agreed with me, I'd invest in a quality mirror.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:19 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Cheese-eaters want it all ways, eh? They want activist judges to pass laws for them that they don't have the votes for. They want the judicial branch to have the powers of the legislative branch when it advances their lame-ass agenda.

At the same time, the want the legislature to usurp the power of the courts when it suits them, too:

Quote:
House Dem drafts bill to stop Trump from pardoning himself

Texas Democratic Rep. Al Green is pushing a bill to stop President Trump from pardoning himself in the Russia meddling ordeal, as the president's team tries to tamp down speculation that pardons might even be considered in a case that's so far produced no charges.

Green has been on the far edge of the Trump resistance on Capitol Hill and is also backing an article of impeachment filed by his colleague, Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif.

Green, a first-term congressman, also said his proposed legislation would clarify the powers of the presidential pardon and is not directed specifically at Trump.

The impeachment article does not enjoy widespread support even among Democrats, and the pardon preemption could encounter similar problems.

Now they think they're the ultimate arbiters of what the constitution says and means, see?

I guess he aint heard, eh? It is the Supreme Court, not a democratic representative for some small fraction of the State of Texas, who "clarifies" the meaning of constitutional clauses.

Judges writing laws, legislators dictating the meaning of the constitution, cats sleeping with dogs--it's a crazy cheese-eating world there, sho nuff.

I'm sure glad that Republicans will be picking all of our Supreme Court justices for the next 20 years. With those three liberal extremists nearing retirement, we will soon have a balance of seven conservative votes against two Obama appointees.
0 Replies