monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Kolyo

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 01:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I can tell you who the dumbest of fucks are, they're the citizens of Maine who elected this loud mouthed lout, and those who are "liking" his inane rant on Facebook.

A word about state legislature campaigns in southern Maine....

1. Voting is determined mostly by party affiliation and the quality of the road signs.

2. Voting takes place first, and only afterwards do they make their stupid remarks.
0 Replies

lmur

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 01:54 pm
A friend posted this link on Facebook.
https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/7/12/1680101/-Why-did-the-DOJ-abruptly-settle-Russian-money-laundering-case-with-attorney-at-center-of-collusion
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You are laboring to draw a distinction between two processes that are more similar than different, but it is, in any case, of little relevance to the point I raised with you.

Not even slightly. You haven't even began to explain their similarities in the overall process. I've outlined several important ways they are different. No laboring on my end except in trying to understand your inability to comprehend this.

Quote:

Baldimo provided a link that reveals you are factually wrong maporche about the Republican amendments. There...now we've both accused each other of being factually wrong about a subject that is far more about opinion than facts.

It is factually true that a hundred or so amendments were adopted. Fact. Another fact is that over 800 were considered. Fact.

Quote:
The comparison of the process in question and that which led to the passage of the ACA was offered not to debate their equivalency but to acknowledge that your concern over the GOP process is legitimate, if based on ideology and the outcome which you anticipate with concern, however the acknowledgment was in the context of arguing that your implication that there is significance in the fact that the legislators in question are all white males, regardless of what their ideology may be, is at best specious.

I'm going to need this run on sentence fixed before I can understand your full point.

Quote:

You seem to be arguing (it's tough to tell for sure because you have not yet responded to my specific post) that because they are all white, male and rich (the latter a characteristic you added to your original profile) it is reasonable to assume they are currently acting either without any input from people who do not meet their physical and economic profile, or with complete disregard for it.

Not because they are white. They ARE going to vote without input from people who don't meet their demographics. Possibly with complete disregard. Again, Obamacare had over a year of debate and hundreds of town halls across the country.

Quote:

Maybe you have some way of being certain they've not solicited or received any such input, in which case I hope you will share it, or maybe you know something about rich white men that allows for the assumption that these characteristics incline them to be exclusive and dismissive of any input, and here again, if you do, I hope you will share it. Following that, I would ask you to explain how and why rich white men who happen to be Democrats are not similarly inclined.

If they've been conducting town halls nationwide, meeting with industry leaders, doctors, business groups, or the like...then I've missed it. If fact I've been noticing that most senators are purposefully avoiding their constituents. The leadership especially.

Quote:
You have made a point of identifying these Republicans as rich, white, men and it's perfectly clear that it wasn't just to provide us with some interesting but essentially meaningless background information. You subsequently indicated you don't believe rich white men are incapable of drafting effective legislation (which would have been a whooper of a claim had you made it) but there was, nevertheless, a reason you felt the need to stress their physical and economic characteristics. If you would prefer to argue about the equivalency of examples of Democrat and Republican legislative process and avoid providing a clearer answer to my question, I think I can understand why, but I'm not interested in a discussion of the ACA, the law or the process by which it was passed.

Please reread my post about the 13 rich white men comment. It 100% sums up my purpose in posting those qualifiers. I'm not going to talk anymore beyond that.

And yes, I've been arguing about the democratic and republican legislative process this entire time!!! The 13 white men comment was on the context of that overall point.

Quote:
Thanks.

Welcome.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 05:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
You have to remember that Pat Robert's fan base are the same people who have to look up the number for #911 and believe that the sun revolves around the earth because they think it's in the bible.
Yes, these aren't bright folks but that phrasing is typical Trump as in yesterday's piece of brilliance
Quote:
"France is America's first and oldest ally. A lot of people don't know that."
blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 06:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
A Jesuit journal close to the Pope says "Manichean vision" is behind Trump. An article in the influential Rome-based Jesuit publication La Civiltà Cattolica argues "a strange form of surprising ecumenism is developing between Evangelical fundamentalists and Catholic Integralists brought together by the same desire for religious influence in the political sphere" in the United States.

That's certainly the case as regards what we refer to with the phrase "religious right", whether Evangelical or Catholic, in the US. They've bought the Manichean formulation because it is simple (by which I mean it is searingly stupid) and because it serves their goal of ideological and political dominion (not to mention that it serves them psychologically being a means of regarding themselves as above others).

But the term Catholic Integralism was new to me. Here's the first two graphs from wikipedia.
Quote:
Catholic Integralism (also called Integrism) is an "anti-pluralist" trend in Catholicism; the Catholic Integralism born in 19th century Spain, France, and Italy was a movement that sought to assert a Catholic underpinning to all social and political action, and to minimize or eliminate any competing ideological actors, such as secular humanism and liberalism.[4]

Catholic Integralism does not support the creation of an autonomous "Catholic" state church, or Erastianism (Gallicanism in French context). Rather it supports subordinating the state to the worldwide Catholicism under the leadership of the Pope. Thus it rejects separation of the Catholic Church from the state and favours Catholicism as the proclaimed religion of the state.[5]
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 06:10 pm
Lovely people in the Trump circle
Quote:
Marc Kasowitz, President Trump’s personal attorney on the Russia case, threatened a stranger in a string of profanity-laden emails Wednesday night.

The man, a retired public relations professional in the western United States who asked not to be identified, read ProPublica’s story this week on Kasowitz and sent the lawyer an email with the subject line: “Resign Now.”

Kasowitz replied with series of angry messages sent between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. Eastern time. One read: “I’m on you now. You are ******* with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch.”

In another email, Kasowitz wrote: “Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of ****. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid.” And later: “I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”
TPM
snood

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 06:29 pm
It's really breathtaking - the hubris...the absolute unmitigated gall.

For months it was "No proof of collusion! No proof of collusion!"
The Don Jr email surfaced, and without missing a beat it became "Collusion's not a crime! Collusion's not a crime!"
For months it was "No meetings with Russians! No meetings with Russians!"
Scores of meetings surface, and it becomes "Anyone would do it - it's just politics!"
There is no shame. I hope they get held to account.
farmerman

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 06:52 pm
@snood,
Think about it. Many of our friends herein have expended a lot of time and energy to defend Mr Trump . When their entire bases of defense begin to erode around them, the only thing they have left is to get mean and ugly.
propaedeutics is where ya learn in stages(Some of us take a bit longer).

His base has waay too much talent invested on his behalf. Sad really.

ehBeth

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 06:57 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Trump as in yesterday's piece of brilliance
Quote:
"France is America's first and oldest ally. A lot of people don't know that."

#45, fan of the cheese-eating nation
blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
They invented Liberty Fries. A lot of people don't know that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:03 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Lovely people in the Trump circle
Quote:
Marc Kasowitz, President Trump’s personal attorney [/url]

Kasowitz
good name
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Käse
snood

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:05 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Sobering news:

We still do not know how far down Congressional Republicans and Trump supporters will go in defending this administration but there is every reason to assume it is much lower. There is no more telling indictment of the modern GOP and conservatism than this.

Tonight Joy Reid said it best - painful but succinct, and I think unfortunately true: "There isn't going to be a moment. There aren't going to be any heros. The only thing that changes this is if the Democrats get control of the house. Otherwise, Donald Trump is going to go on sitting right there; colluding in plain sight, and laughing at everyone - laughing at his own party, because he can get away with ANYTHING."
blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:06 pm
@snood,
Quote:
It's really breathtaking - the hubris...the absolute unmitigated gall.
With Trump, there is no moral compass, no integrity and not even a political ideology. Everything - absolutely everything - is about domination of others.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Kasowitz
good name

Perfect fit.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:25 pm
Hahahahaha. You cheese-eaters are acting like you just won something. Fraid not. Not even close. When will you figure out that "collusion," whatever the **** that is supposed to mean, is not a crime? If it were, there would be a ton of democrats going the jail for their relentless "collusion' with the Russians AND the Ukranians.

What Junior did was perfectly legal, perfectly "normal" for any political campaign, and not the least bit "immoral."

He aint the president, anyway. There aint gunna be no "impeachment," fools.

You think it's a crime to oppose, and defeat, Hillary. Ludicrous.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:25 pm
@snood,
Getting rid of Trump is necessary, obviously. But that is nowhere near sufficient to salvage US politics. Nor is a Dem majority in the House. That Republican politicians and the party continue to support/defend Trump along with so many Republican voters tells us with utter clarity that the system is badly broken. I don't know how a sane realignment comes about short of some real catastrophe. I used to be optimistic but I no longer am.
layman

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 07:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I used to be optimistic but I no longer am.

Only a fool would be optimistic about left-wingers taking political control of this country. A few, like yourself, seem to be wising up to that indisputable fact.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 08:53 pm
Here's the WH photo of evangelical bigwigs laying their magic-prayer hands on Donald and thereby passing on god's goodness to him. God, I guess, can't do this transfer without the hands thing.

But really, the key element here is - What is going on in Trump's mind during this? Is he reveling in god's sublime grace? That seems unlikely, given the guy thinks he's the world's greatest sexual athlete who can just grab women's pussy whenever he feels like it. Is he reflecting on his imperfections, pride and sins? Ha ha ha ha ha. Is he thinking, "Germs!"? A fair chance of that. Is he maybe thinking, "**** me, these people are such easy marks". That one seems the certainty.

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2017/07/12/12-trump-prayer.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg
ossobucotemp

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 09:05 pm
@blatham,
One of my friends told me about this.
blatham

Thu 13 Jul, 2017 09:10 pm
@ossobucotemp,
As I've said before, I'm shifting all my hopes over to dolphins.