monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 01:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One of my phobia's is being eaten by things. As a result, I have avoided swimming in the ocean, visiting the plains of Africa or other places that have apex predators that might be in a position for that to happen.

Owing to the fact that I do not know all of the laws of a place like N. Korea, but knowing the results of breaking those laws, I will avoid visiting N. Korea.

Knowing that making myself a target could result in my becoming a victim, I do not place myself in situations where I would allow that to happen. Because I do these things, I expect others to do the same and when they don't, I figure they made a choice not to.

Do not confuse this with victim blaming, that is NOT what I am doing. Predators will do what they do regardless of precautions taken. Criminals are criminals regardless of the victim they choose.
wmwcjr

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 01:32 pm
@McGentrix,
Excellent post!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:16 pm
@McGentrix,
I didn't think you were blaming the victim.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:42 pm
@McGentrix,
I really have no clue, but I suspect that not everyone in N. Korea gets a 15 year sentence for filching a $1.00 poster. And I would further doubt that many, if any, of those kind of "criminals" get tortured to death. I wouldn't "expect" that in any non-muslim country if I didn't know all the laws.

In short, this guy got what he got, not really because of what he did, but because he's an American. They killed him for "sport." That, to me, is an attack on all Americans.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:57 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

One of my phobia's is being eaten by things. As a result, I have avoided swimming in the ocean, visiting the plains of Africa or other places that have apex predators that might be in a position for that to happen.

Here's what ya gotta do with lions, eh, Gent?

Seneca wrote:
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult.”
gungasnake

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 03:54 pm
http://nypost.com/2017/06/24/inside-the-shadowy-intelligence-firm-behind-the-trump-dossier/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:03 pm
@layman,
Sooner or later they're gonna run into a group of lions which cannot be chumped that easily.....

layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:22 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Sooner or later they're gonna run into a group of lions which cannot be chumped that easily.....

Maybe, but the fact is, them lions in Africa have learned, through hard experience, not to **** with humans who look cocky. I've seen documentaries where a few africans are walking in the savanah, talking and laughing, and they walk right past (within 30 feet) 4 or 5 lions. They'd seen them in advance, and they just kept walking. They don't even look at them when they pass, and once they've passed, they don't even look back.

Those lions might just as well be housecats, as far as they're concerned. Of course stealing their food is somewhat risky, but the lions are afraid to attack, just for the hell of it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 09:56 pm
@gungasnake,
Not that long ago what the North Koreans did to Warmbier would have been considered an Act of War, however when a murderer nation has a 1 million man army, chemical and biological weapons up the wazoo, and a half dozen or more nukes, the US can't respond with the same righteous fury it might once have.

Seizing and torturing to death American citizens is the least of the acts of war this state is prepared to engage in, and it's not as if any of their crimes could not have been predicted decades ago when we had the means to keep them from developing into their current level of threat. Each time an American president got cold feet and kicked the can down the road for the next guy, the regime got bolder and it's capabilities to really hurt us grew. If one of those presidents had had the foresight and guts to castrate the Kim Dynasty when there was a chance to do so, Warmbier and a great many South Koreans would be alive today, scores of Japanese citizens would have lived out their lives in their homeland, and we wouldn't have to worry if the dough-boy maniac with the bad haircut will soon be able to nuke an American city. There's a good chance millions of North Korean would be alive today as well.

If prior presidents were afraid to act before NK achieved it's current destructive capabilities, it's very unlikely that any president, including Trump, will going forward and now that's probably for the best. There just isn't doesn't seem to be a scenario where the Kim Dynasty can be ended, the NK tiger defanged and declawed, without millions of deaths and not all on the Korean Peninsula. We had our chance and we let it pass so now we are pretty much stuck with more saber rattling and crossing our fingers. There will be meager solace in turning Pyongyang into a sheet of glass and, Fat Boy Kim and his homicidal goons into bubbling pools of melted lard, if in the process, millions of innocent North and South Koreans are killed either by the direct effects of nuclear explosions or the aftermath of radiation poisoning, and complete social upheaval, including civil violence and famine. To get to the point where a US president has no choice but to destroy a nation to destroy a regime, we will also be faced with the devastating effects of mushroom clouds having risen over Seoul, Tokyo or Seattle or San Francisco.

The latest issue of Atlantic Monthly contains a cover story about North Korea and the options the US has to deal with it's threat and the author makes a pretty compelling case that they are all very, very lousy. Not surprisingly, given his background, the author arrives at the conclusion that the only option we have (if we don't want to see millions of people die, the world's economy go into a tailspin, and the vulnerability of the US actually increase) is to accept a NK armed with the means to deliver nukes to American cities and count on AS (Assured Destruction) and the self-preservation instincts of the criminally insane Kim. Like I said, lousy options. Fortunately Gen. Mattis is Secretary of Defense and Trump seems to worship him, if not just trusting him completely. If there is a mind that can cut through both the timid whimpering and the bombastic roaring, it's Mattis. If there is a way to militarily take out the NK threat, I'm more confident in him than anyone else currently in the Pentagon or broader US government to develop it, and if he can't and agrees that we're pretty much stuck with knocking wood and hoping for the best, then that's what we need to do. No matter how you look at it, it sucks and it's impossible not to come to the conclusion that prior presidents retreated from the tough decisions they're paid to make.
layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There will be meager solace in turning Pyongyang into a sheet of glass and, Fat Boy Kim and his homicidal goons into bubbling pools of melted lard, if in the process, millions of innocent North and South Koreans are killed...

Well, yeah, Finn, but who says it would be millions? Unfortunately there is ALWAYS some collateral damage and civilian suffering when it becomes necessary to take a country OUT due to it's lawlessness. Them's just the breaks, and it can't be totally avoided (although it can be minimized).

We could use "tactical nukes," no need for huge megaton ICBM's. And we would use conventional weapons to simultaneously attack virtually every military base, airfield, and nuclear facility they have.

Not only would it be the "right" thing to do, it would be fun!

But, chances are that the CIA is working behind the scenes to have the fatboy assassinated, with new, more pacifist, leaders ready to step in. That would be the least messy way to deal with them.
roger

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:25 pm
@layman,
Are there any more pacifist leaders in North Korea?
layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:26 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Are there any more pacifist leaders in North Korea?

For the right price, sure. I could have said "non-belligerent" rather than "pacifist," I guess.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:38 pm
It never fails that those who scream the loudest for "tolerance" are the most intolerant, eh?

Quote:
Women with Star of David flags told to leave Chicago gay pride march

LGBT Pride festivities in Chicago took an ugly turn over the weekend when three women were ejected from a march because their rainbow flags bore a Jewish Star of David.

One of the women told to leave the march, Laurie Grauer, said her so-called Jewish Pride flag was "from my congregation which celebrates my queer, Jewish identity which I have done for over a decade marching in the Dyke March with the same flag."

The Chicago Windy Times, the city's LGBT paper, reported that the women were told that they could not take part in the city's Dyke March because their flags" made people feel unsafe."

The Dyke March organizers issued a statement on Twitter Sunday afternoon, which said the women were told to leave the March "after they repeatedly expressed support for Zionism."

The Dyke March is separate from Chicago's main Pride Parade and is described by organizers as being "more inclusive" and "more social justice-oriented" than the main event.

There's their "inclusive social justice" for ya, eh? If you support zionism then you are a threat to gays and make them feel unsafe, and are therefore ostracized.

Kinda strange that Islam doesn't make queers feel "unsafe," know what I'm sayin?
oralloy

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:39 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Well, yeah, Finn, but who says it would be millions? Unfortunately there is ALWAYS some collateral damage and civilian suffering when it becomes necessary to take a country OUT due to it's lawlessness. Them's just the breaks, and it can't be totally avoided (although it can be minimized).

We could use "tactical nukes," no need for huge megaton ICBM's. And we would use conventional weapons to simultaneously attack virtually every military base, airfield, and nuclear facility they have.

Not only would it be the "right" thing to do, it would be fun!

If an American city is nuked, I will accept nothing less than a genocidal response, and will be in favor of impeaching any president who chooses a response less than genocide.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:45 pm
@layman,
If you get a chance read the Atlantic article. The author answers your questions.
oralloy

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:47 pm

Torturing Terrorists is Back

http://apnews.com/4925f7f0fa654853bd6f2f57174179fe/In-Yemen's-secret-prisons,-UAE-tortures-and-US-interrogates

http://apnews.com/b2a5ecfd1adb442a86df5bd05bc6599e/Inside-Yemen's-secret-prisons:-'We-could-hear-the-screams'

And is Already Producing Results

http://apnews.com/60b0145e86724f12bdd1888c33d9d848/A-US-drone-strike-kills-3-al-Qaida-millitants-in-Yemen

Note: The charred bodies are because of the use of thermobaric warheads. Instead of normal high explosive, a thermobaric warhead ignites a bit of rocket fuel that produces a nice hot fireball (over 4,000 degrees) that instantly produces whole-body third-degree burns to anyone within the fireball. The terrorists get nice and crispy on the outside but stay tender and juicy on the inside. And say goodbye to your lungs if you inhale burning rocket fuel. I understand that it's difficult to breathe if you have no lungs.

(Apologies if this has already been covered. I haven't kept up on this thread over the past week.)
layman

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:02 pm
@oralloy,
Well, we don't watch it. Our hands are clean, eh?:

Quote:
Senior American defense officials acknowledged Wednesday that U.S. forces have been involved in interrogations of detainees in Yemen but denied any participation in or knowledge of human rights abuses.

Several U.S. defense officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the topic, told AP that American forces do participate in interrogations of detainees at locations in Yemen, provide questions for others to ask, and receive transcripts of interrogations from Emirati allies. They said U.S. senior military leaders were aware of allegations of torture at the prisons in Yemen, looked into them, but were satisfied that there had not been any abuse when U.S. forces were present.

Hundreds of men swept up in the hunt for al-Qaida militants have disappeared into a secret network of prisons in southern Yemen where abuse is routine and torture extreme — including the “grill,” in which the victim is tied to a spit like a roast and spun in a circle of fire, an Associated Press investigation has found.

At one main detention complex at Riyan airport in the southern city of Mukalla, former inmates described being crammed into shipping containers smeared with feces and blindfolded for weeks on end. They said they were beaten, trussed up on the “grill,” and sexually assaulted.

Gives a whole new meaning to "grilling a suspect," eh?

I wonder if the screams are recorded in the "transcripts?"

"Uh, hold on before you light that butane torch. We're gunna leave first. Let us know how it all comes out, eh, Yemeni?"

I heard Steve Bannon spends time in Yemen, learning which techniques are most effective, so that he can get all cheese-eaters to rat on their homeys when the final solution goes down, eh?

It still aint too late to leave the country, cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:17 pm
@layman,
Quote:
The Chicago Windy Times, the city's LGBT paper, reported that the women were told that they could not take part in the city's Dyke March because their flags" made people feel unsafe."

Because as we all know, Jews have a long history of oppressing homosexuals...especially the filthy Zionists Jews. I don't, for a second, blame LGBT-LMNOP marchers for fearing Jews. You know the way the sneaky bastards are...One minute you're happily marching down a Chicago city street with your partner and your child, and in a flash, a transgender Jew makes off with your poor kid to drain his blood for matzohs!

Or the Zionist Jew lesbian marching along side of you in celebration of your mutual gayness, mistakes your swarthy Italian skin for a sign of a your being Palestinian. In an instant she might whip out an Uzi and spray you and nearby gays, transgenders and queers with bullets. This sort of thing happens all of the time when there are Zionist Jews in the vicinity!

It's just not safe to be near them!

It's amazing how effective this snowflake fear tactic can be in bullying others. I'm going to have to try it next time I'm at a large gathering of people and there are some who make it clear that they support animal rights or environmental justice. I'm going to march right up to the organizers or authorities and demand they ban these folks because they make me feel unsafe.

Isn't it a little ironic that women who march under the banner of The Dyke March can so easily be made to feel unsafe?

I'm going to make a reasonable assumption that The Dyke March is a left-wing group. I'm going to follow it with a fair assessment that this is anti-Semitic behavior which will lead to me to the conclusion that left-wingers are anti-Semitic. Now I'm not Jewish, but behavior based on bigotry makes me feel kind of...unsafe, so now I have a reason to seek left-wingers being banned from any large gathering I attend. I think I like the way this works!