monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Baldimo

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 08:49 am
@Blickers,
If it was a Muslim ban, then he missed a few countries. There are about 50 Muslim majority countries in the world and his EO only had an impact on 6/7 of them which is about 15%. I wouldn't call that a Muslim ban.
0 Replies

Lash

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 08:49 am
@maporsche,
I'm not the only one who is a bit tired of the knee jerk response.

When people decide to murder, they find a way.
maporsche

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 08:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

When people decide to murder, they find a way.

Sure Lash. Sure.

Some countries make that 'way' much easier and much more deadly though.
Lash

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 08:55 am
@maporsche,
66 year old James T Hodgkinson came to D.C. and opened fire on a baseball field after asking people nearby if those on the field were Republicans.

0 Replies

Lash

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:17 am
@maporsche,
It looks like you may be right.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:25 am
Well, Donald Trump plans to address the nation at noon.
revelette1

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:30 am
@glitterbag,
Oh goody, now, more dem and media bashing in the name of a tragedy instead of addressing gun control.
giujohn

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:37 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

They have not identified the shooter with even a cursory description. Makes me even more sure he's a white male. Might sound like illogic, but if it was a middle eastern or other brown skinned person it seems like we know that right away.
I'm probably just paranoid.

Paranoia is the least of your problems.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:40 am
@revelette1,
Jesus, he's describing this event as if it was the Bin Ladin take down.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:41 am
@revelette1,
Well, I feel better. Trump told me the entire world is praying for us.
snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:42 am
Well, so much for taking him alive. Herr Gropenfuhrer just said the shooter "has died".
izzythepush

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:52 am
@Lash,
Guns kill lots of people, stupid gun laws mean lots of people get killed. Is there a grown up that can explain this to you.
izzythepush

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:56 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Well, I feel better. Trump told me the entire world is praying for us.

Nobody gives a **** about a couple of republicans shot by an idiot who could only get a gun in America. There was a fire in London overnight, six people are confirmed dead, that's who the people of Britain are praying for.
ehBeth

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:57 am
@snood,
Did he ever manage to say anything about Portland?
revelette1

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:58 am
@izzythepush,
I just want to get it straight here that I don't agree with you. I care about anyone getting shot and we are trying to change our gun laws, progress takes time, but even so, no one deserves to get shot down like wild dogs.
snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:59 am
@ehBeth,
I think, after several days of being begged, prodded and advised by everyone to address it, he finally said something like - you know the standard 'terrible tragedy and our thoughts and prayers,,,'.
But he absolutely will not connect the word "terrorism" to anything that's perpetrated by white shooters. Or if he has, I haven't seen it.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:00 am
@ehBeth,
Doubt it, it involved two Muslim women and brave people who took up for them which cost their lives. The whole thing barely got covered.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:05 am
Quote:
The man suspected of firing dozens of rounds into an Alexandria baseball field Wednesday morning has been identified by federal law enforcement officials as James T. Hodgkinson, 66, of Belleville, Ill.

A Facebook page belonging to a person with the same name includes pictures of Democratic presidential candidate, Bernie Sanders, and rhetoric against President Trump, including a post that reads: “Trump is a Traitor. Trump Has Destroyed Our Democracy. It’s Time to Destroy Trump & Co.”

Charles Orear, 50, a restaurant manager from St. Louis, said in an interview Wednesday that he became friendly with Hodgkinson during their work together in Iowa on Sanders’s campaign.

Orear said Hodgkinson was a passionate progressive and showed no signs of violence or malice toward others.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Orear said when told by phone about the shooting.

Orear described Hodgkinson as a “quiet guy” who was “very mellow, very reserved” when they stayed overnight at the home of a Sanders’s supporter in Rock Island, Ill., after canvassing for the Vermont senator.

“He was this union tradesman, pretty stocky, and we stayed up talking politics,” he said. “He was more on the really progressive side of things.”

When informed that the suspect’s Facebook page prominently features Sanders’s image, the senator’s spokesman Michael Briggs said:

“Our prayers go out for a full recovery of Rep. Scalise, the congressional aides and police officers who were injured. We’ve got to stop the violence.

WP

A little more at the source, but I thought that last sentence should be the main point. No matter what side people are on in this political climate, this violence has got to stop.
maporsche

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:06 am
@revelette1,
Yep, no excuse for this.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 10:07 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
this violence has got to stop

But, if the gratuitous gun violence stopped, how would we be able to tell what country we're in?
0 Replies