monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:08 am
Jim Rutenberg at the NYT has a good piece on modern media and how this makes the Watergate era importantly different from today. Here's one interesting bit of history.
Quote:
Review papers from the Nixon White House and you can see just how much Nixon and his team pined for a media environment resembling the one today.

“Nixon was always complaining that he had no defenders,” John Dean, the former Nixon White House counsel, and current CNN contributor, told me Friday.

As a memo from one adviser read in 1970: “The lens through which our message gets through is a distorted lens,” therefore “we ought to give consideration to ways and means if necessary to acquire either a government or other network through which we can tell our story.”

When a separate memo presented a more detailed plan for a pro-administration news service, White House records show, another adviser, Roger E. Ailes, raised his hand to start it. The plan fizzled, but Mr. Ailes, who died last month, would start the Fox News Channel some 25 years later.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:24 am
Quote:
A day after Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he would testify this week before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Democratic senators on Sunday urged the panel to question him about the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia in a public hearing, rather than behind closed doors.

It was unclear on Sunday whether the committee planned to question the attorney general on Tuesday in an open or closed session.
NYT
My wager here would be that Republicans and Sessions demand it be behind closed doors. And that's fine because it would follow the model set by the two-year, 7 million dollar investigations of Benghazi. Am I right or am I right?
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:30 am
Feelings. Nothing more than feelings...
Quote:
Ivanka Trump Says Father Felt ‘Vindicated’ by Comey Testimony
NYT headline
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:58 am
Quote:
With newly elected Scott Walker in the governor’s office and a firm grip on the legislature, Wisconsin Republicans in 2011 had a unique opportunity to redraw the state’s electoral maps and fortify their party’s future.

Aides were dispatched to a private law firm to keep their work out of public view. They employed the most precise technology available to dissect new Census Bureau data and convert it into reliably Republican districts even if the party’s fortunes soured. Democrats were kept in the dark, and even GOP incumbents had to sign confidentiality agreements before their revamped districts were revealed to them. Only a handful of people saw the entire map until it was unveiled and quickly approved.

In the following year’s elections, when Republicans got just 48.6 percent of the statewide vote, they still captured a 60-to-39 seat advantage in the State Assembly.

Now, the Supreme Court is being asked to uphold a lower court’s finding that the Wisconsin redistricting effort was more than just extraordinary — it was unconstitutional.
WP

Forget Trump for a minute. This one is extremely important.

A friend of mine at the Washington Post wrote in an email this weekend the following:
Quote:
I think we need to confront the possibility that many Republicans simply don't view their party as playing a role in a democracy anymore.

But I think he's understating what is going on. I think it is more accurate to say that many Republicans in this period are strategically working to diminish democracy because, (a) they don't really believe in it or (b) they understand that a robust democracy will not support their modern party thus it must be curbed (though done so covertly and under cover of secrecy and with propaganda campaigns to justify the steps taken).

The two most obvious evidences of this attitude towards democracy is re-districting as in the case of Wisconsin and the broad and well-organized campaigns across GOP-controlled legislatures to suppress likely Dem voters.

This is a species of corruption which really does have the potential to effectively turn America into a political entity which has far greater similarities to banana republics than to what America has, for the most party, tried to reach towards. This is a critical matter. How the SC finds in this case will tell us how the future is going to go.

blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:10 am
Oh give me a ******* break. On Fox this weekend...
Quote:
Ivanka Trump on Monday morning told the hosts of “Fox and Friends” that she wasn’t expecting the “level of viciousness” she has experienced since her father was elected president.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ivanka-trump-viciousness-dc

Surprised at the viciousness? Where the hell was her brain during the GOP primaries or the debates with Clinton when her poor victimized father was continually advancing a level of insult against pretty much every contender that none of us had ever, in our lifetimes, witnessed before? What was she doing when her saintly father encouraged supporters at his rallies to rough up protesters? Was she trying on shoes when her pathological old man was demeaning female reporters and any women who had stood up to him or who had accused him of assault?
blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:14 am
Winner of today's "No ****, Sherlock" award
Quote:
McCain: America's leadership standing in the world was better under Obama
Politico headline
blatham

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:43 am
Steve Benen quotes a NYT passage I'd noted last week
Quote:
Roughly 19.5 million Americans tuned in on Thursday to watch James B. Comey, the former F.B.I. director, unspool the tale of his awkward, unsettling and, at times, ethically questionable encounters with President Trump.

That is about the same number of people who watched Game 2 of this week’s N.B.A. finals between the Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
But he adds an important note on how this figures is surely too low and what this level of attention seems to mean.
Quote:
Note, that 19.5 million figure is a low estimate. It doesn’t account for people who watched on PBS or C-SPAN, those who attended viewing parties, or those who tuned in online.

And given the fact that the hearing was at 10 a.m. (ET) on a weekday – a time when millions of Americans were already at work – it’s likely that the online audience was considerable.

All of this certainly reflects an enormous public appetite for information related to the president’s Russia scandal, but I also believe this is emblematic of a broader civic awakening that’s quite encouraging.

After Election Day 2016, it wasn’t at all clear how Trump’s critics would respond to his victory, and it was easy to imagine much of the country giving up, withdrawing, and disengaging from the political process altogether.

But by and large, it seems the evidence is now pointing in the opposite direction. We’ve seen enormous rallies and protests, with attendance that’s far exceeded expectations. We’ve watched people who aren’t generally active in politics pick up the phone to register concerns with their representatives on Capitol Hill. We’ve seen lawmakers face town-hall crowds larger than at any point in their careers. We’ve seen Americans holding placards such as, “Not usually a sign guy, but jeez.”

And we’ve seen tens of millions of Americans watch a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing with testimony from the former director of the FBI.

Sure, showing up for the women’s march takes considerably more effort than picking up the TV remote on a Thursday morning, but I think there’s more than one to way to demonstrate civic engagement, and the more Americans give a darn about politics, the healthier our democracy becomes.

I heard MSNBC’s Chris Hayes recently refer to the “awakening of civic consciousness” in response to Trump’s presidency, and with each passing week, it’s heartening to discover fresh evidence of that phenomenon spreading.

Benen
ehBeth

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:51 am
@blatham,
How many posts do you need to read saying America is not a democracy?

Those posts have been a feature here for at least 4 or 5 years, with a big surge about 2 years ago.

#itsabananarepublic has been my fav twitter hashtag for close to eight months now
revelette1

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:53 am
@blatham,
I agree, she can't be that much of an airhead. I guess she thought everybody would just shrug their shoulders and accept Trump as President once he was elected. He was elected not because he beat Hillary, he was elected because there were enough people who just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Hillary even though Trump was obviously horrible. The primaries did a good job of doing the republicans work for them and it stuck.
Blickers

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 09:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote Blickers:
Quote:

Article 1 of the Impeachment of Richard Nixon....interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the Department of Justice of the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the office of Watergate Special Prosecution Force, and Congressional Committees;
Adopted 27-11 by the House Judiciary Committee. Nixon resigned before the House could vote on it.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
That fact that the Democrats have in the past shamefully abused the law to lynch a president is not justification for them doing it again. It is instead justification for outlawing the Democratic Party in America.

So your position is: Congress must change the existing standards of impeachment to favor Trump, or they're a bunch of big fat baddies.

Quote Blickers:
Quote:
Whether it is a crime [Trump's attempt to get Comey to give up investigating Flynn], is not relevant at this time.

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Give the Democrats a pass for committing actual crimes, and then lynch Republicans for doing nothing wrong?

Never!

Presidents cannot be tried while in office. No President ever leaves the White House doing the perp walk. First it must be judged by the House and Senate if his behavior merits removal from office, then if he is removed he can do the perp walk as a private citizen. Therefore, as long as Trump is President whether he committed a crime or not is not relevant-only if his actions are impeachable.
revelette1

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:00 am
@blatham,
I agree it is good that Americans have awoke to civic consciences; but speaking as one who wants the democrats or the trump resistance to turn into votes; I think we need to just let the special prosecutor do his job now that Comey has testified. (Who is going to believe Sessions this week? Not me.) We need to move on a little from the Russian angle and start paying attention to what else is happening. All of the GOP's agenda is horrible and it is all still going on while all the Russian stuff is going on.
camlok

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:44 am
@revelette1,
Always whining about "we poor poor put upon Americans". Have you no sense of compassion. empathy, shame, revelette?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:58 am
@Debra Law,
Quote:
There you go again, demeaning my existence.

You have the nerve to say this in light of the way you put others down when discussing the "law"? ******* hypocrite!
snood

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:00 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Oh give me a ******* break. On Fox this weekend...
Quote:
Ivanka Trump on Monday morning told the hosts of “Fox and Friends” that she wasn’t expecting the “level of viciousness” she has experienced since her father was elected president.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ivanka-trump-viciousness-dc

Surprised at the viciousness? Where the hell was her brain during the GOP primaries or the debates with Clinton when her poor victimized father was continually advancing a level of insult against pretty much every contender that none of us had ever, in our lifetimes, witnessed before? What was she doing when her saintly father encouraged supporters at his rallies to rough up protesters? Was she trying on shoes when her pathological old man was demeaning female reporters and any women who had stood up to him or who had accused him of assault?

Quote:
‘She’s a filthy liar’: NY Post columnist slams Ivanka for feigning ignorance about ‘viciousness’ in politics.
New York Post columnist and editor of Commentary magazine John Podhoretz called out Ivanka Trump on Monday after she told Fox News that she was surprised at the “viciousness” directed at her father.

“Her father said Ben Carson was a psychopath and Ted Cruz’s father killed JFK and she wasn’t expecting viciousness. She’s a filthy liar,” he wrote.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/shes-a-filthy-liar-ny-post-columnist-slams-ivanka-for-feigning-ignorance-about-viciousness-in-politics/
camlok

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:00 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo, you have the nerve to say this in light of the way you put others down when discussing anything? ******* hypocrite!
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:01 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
On my screen, 36 user ignored posts in last three pages. They line up like tombstones in an institutional cemetery.

In other words there have been 36 points that you can't come up with any answer to.
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:07 am
@glitterbag,
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

I believe in freedom of speech for you and blatham, actually everyone, glitterbag.

What's up with you "freedom lovers"?
0 Replies