monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
@tony5732,
Quote:
He was responsible for not doing anything about it, and not helping the situation.
That's actually a falsehood though a commonplace claim in right wing media (Fox, Breitbart, Townhall, etc).

As to ignore, that is specifically on you refusing to answer a question I put to you on what media sources you attend to. Are you going to?
tony5732

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 08:52 am
@blatham,
I'm not understanding what exactly you mean by that. I personally watch CNN, Fox, YouTube, the guardian when someone on here decides to use that as some divine source of information, a2k, Wikipedia, government sites, etc. Pretty much everything in front of me I don't mind at least looking at.
Frugal1

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:05 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzzGpUIUcAEPWYd.jpg:large
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:08 am
@tony5732,
Thank you for the answer. We'll trundle along with you remaining visible for the while.

Now, when you make a claim, I'd like you to provide a link to your data source(s). For example, up above I linked to Politifact which took the time to actually count up the lies from Trump and those from Clinton. If you looked at it, you'll have seen that the count was over 50 for T and 7 for C. If we want to get to the truth of things, if we wish to actually understand what is going on, we need to operate in such a manner. If we don't, there's little or no value in most political discussions.
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:11 am
Quote:
The 17 people who US president-elect Donald Trump has selected for his cabinet or for posts with cabinet rank have well over $9.5 billion in combined wealth, with several positions still unfilled. This collection of wealth is greater than that of the 43 million least wealthy American households combined—over one third of the 126 million households total in the US.

Affluence of this magnitude in a US presidential cabinet is unprecedented.
internal links here
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:16 am
Some might think this comment from conservative David Frum is a step too far. I do not.
Quote:
David Frum ‏@davidfrum 42m42 minutes ago
When start the purges of those in CIA who know dangerously much about Trump's Russia connections?
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:21 am
Re Clinton and her inexcusably insecure email system.
Quote:
Russian hackers struck at the heart of the U.S. military in August 2015 by seizing the e-mail system used by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, CBS News has learned.

Then-Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Martin Dempsey was alerted to the attack by an early-morning phone call from the Director of the National Security Agency, Admiral Mike Rogers.
link
I saw a mention of this yesterday. It may well have been covered at the time but I don't recall reading about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:29 am
@blatham,
He's not the first to ask. Retired American FS officers had seasonal parties in NYC and DC last week. It came up in conversation.
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:34 am
If you read one thing today, make it this
Quote:
Is Donald Trump a Threat to Democracy?

Unlike his predecessors, Mr. Trump is a serial norm-breaker. There are signs that Mr. Trump seeks to diminish the news media’s traditional role by using Twitter, video messages and public rallies to circumvent the White House press corps and communicate directly with voters — taking a page out of the playbook of populist leaders like Silvio Berlusconi in Italy, Hugo Chávez in Venezuela and Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Turkey.

An even more basic norm under threat today is the idea of legitimate opposition. In a democracy, partisan rivals must fully accept one another’s right to exist, to compete and to govern. Democrats and Republicans may disagree intensely, but they must view one another as loyal Americans and accept that the other side will occasionally win elections and lead the country. Without such mutual acceptance, democracy is imperiled. Governments throughout history have used the claim that their opponents are disloyal or criminal or a threat to the nation’s way of life to justify acts of authoritarianism.
link here
Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt are professors of government at Harvard University.
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
@ehBeth,
I gather you refer to Frum?
ehBeth

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:36 am
@blatham,
Yes - if you click on your name in that post of mine - it will take you back to the post I'm responding to.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:39 am
oooooh Good trick!
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:46 am
@blatham,
I think this is a horrible choice, not only since it dashes my own hopes for a way to peace, but that it is idiocy: such takeovers will result in strikes against the US, which would be reasonable from the Palestinian and many others points of view. Fools are rushing to forward Trump's creepy (and worse) agenda.
ehBeth

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:49 am
@ossobucotemp,
What is the Trump team's Haliburton equivalent?
tony5732

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:55 am
@blatham,
Alright, fair enough. I really don't believe Clinton has only lied 7 times or Trump lied only 50. They lied that many times that they got caught during that particular time about a particular subject, sure. The significance of what lies were about what subject thats only a matter of opinion. I personally think lying about whathe was done with classified government information while being incompetent as Secretary of the state was more significant than any lie Trump told. Again though, that's an opinion. Can't really back that up with a source of information, because it's just my opinion, so I guess I would be the source.
revelette1

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:56 am
@ehBeth,
Perhaps Exxon?

Exxon Has Billions at stake over sanctions on Russia
ehBeth

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:56 am
@revelette1,
I guess they could profit from war in some way .
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 09:57 am
@ossobucotemp,
And with bethie's magical trick I even knew what you were talking about. This could change my life.

It would be a horrible choice, for sure. Another hyper extremist and in a part of the world that is deeply unstable. The potential damage this crowd could do is worse than I feared and I was fearful before. I see Eric Alterman (another smart Jewish writer) is noting it on twitter and I'll look for commentary from him as well.
blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:05 am
@tony5732,
Quote:
Can't really back that up with a source of information, because it's just my opinion

But like anyone, you arrived at that opinion after some connection with the commentary of others. As consumers of information (and as citizens) that's the important element here. You say Clinton was "incompetent as Secretary of State". How did you arrive at that opinion? Who did you trust to inform you well on that matter? Do you recall? Do you have in mind some comparison with other prior S of Ss? What sort of criteria are relevant?
ossobucotemp

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 10:08 am
@blatham,
I think of it as The Dismantling of the United States of America, writ large. Ungluing, which Ornstein is pointing out, is a similar word for this ongoing process.
0 Replies