monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 28 May, 2017 07:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Senior US advisers have refused to answer questions about Donald Trump's son-in-law, following reports that Jared Kushner tried to set up a secret communication line with Moscow.
National Security Adviser HR McMaster said backchannel communications between different governments was normal.
Economic adviser Gary Cohn said: "We're not going to comment on Jared."
Mr Kushner is said to be under scrutiny as part of the FBI inquiry into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Surely our top government officials have better things to do than answer questions about a childish witch hunt.

Reporters who ask pointless questions might better start getting used to having their questions ignored.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 28 May, 2017 08:12 am
Duterte - the Philipine President and one of Trump's examples of a good leader - is encouraging his soldiers that, if they happen to rape a few people during martial law, he'll support them.
gungasnake

Sun 28 May, 2017 08:38 am
@snood,
That bullshit story is being promulgated by libtard rags like Huffpo and the Guardian, which bills itself as "The world's leading liberal voice, since 1821."

Duterte, while a bit rough, IS in fact a VERY good leader and, if you are wondering why the globalists might have sicced ISIS on him, you might want to take a look at this:

http://yournewswire.com/duterte-rothschilds-philippines/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sun 28 May, 2017 08:56 am
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message3537754/pg1
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 08:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
But I'm not trying to be helpful.
I mean "helpful" in an analytic sense (accurately grasping real-world phenomena). Generalized formulations which refuse to allow for differences commonly obscure far more than illuminate. "All politicians lie" provides no means of properly portraying the profound differences between Nixon and Lincoln.

Quote:
the theme of your ongoing narrative has always been and always will be that the right is the source of what ails the US and while the left may need to tweak things around the edges, it's the utterly corrupt right that requires a major overhaul.
That's very close to my argument but with important caveats.
- many modern Republicans/conservatives are not utterly corrupted. I quote some of these voices often and there are many more.
- the Democratic/liberal contingent has its problems/corruptions too (reliance on big money donors, fealty to banks and corporate entities, a propensity of radicals to suppress speech, etc)

There are problems here that are systemic and so effect both parties (the role of money in elections, the clout of big business and their lobbyists, the influence of the war machine, the revolving doors between government office and the Pentagon, the consolidation of media in the hands of five or six huge commercial conglomerates, etc).

But in the present period, it is US conservatism that has become acutely and uniquely radicalized and which has fallen away from principled behaviors. It is an asymmetrical phenomenon. There's a discernible history here and I've written about that before on many occasions. I've cited some of the many studies that track this change (like Hacker and Pierson's Winner Take All Politics or Mann and Ornstein's It's Even Worse Than It Looks). Whether one carbon-dates the beginnings of this shift to Goldwater or to the Powell memo, the move towards this modern extremity is an observable, measurable thing. Nixon started up the EPA and said, famously, "We are Keynsians now". Eisenhower wrote to his brother in '54
Quote:
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.5 Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

0 Replies

snood

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:01 am
Here are a few other sources for the story that Duterte joked about and minimized rape. The man said what he said, and it was totally in his character.:

http://www.dw.com/en/duterte-slammed-for-marshal-law-rape-impunity-joke/a-39012358
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/philippines--duterte-under-fire-over--sickening--rape-joke-8889240
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40072315
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/900121/duterte-told-rape-a-heinous-crime-never-a-laughing-matter
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/05/26/1703881/duterte-tells-troops-jest-i-will-answer-your-rape-cases

The thing is, no amount of tap-dancing will obscure the fact that Cheetolini embraces murderous dictators and alienates our allies. He keeps proving over and over who he is. None so blind as those who won't see.
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:08 am
@layman,
"Completely retracted it", eh? Sure.

Quote:
"I saw both his hands go up, not around his neck in a strangling type of way, but more just on each side of his neck, just grabbed him and I guess it could've been on his clothes, I don't know."

Ingraham asked Acuna if that meant she was changing her story.

"Again, just to clarify, he didn't grab him by the neck with both hands in the way that was initially described, that's not quite accurate," Ingraham asked at the end of the interview.

"​No, so it wasn't like he grabbed him around the neck, he had one hand on each side of his neck," Acuna confirmed.

So he didn't grab him by the neck, he just had "one hand on each side of his neck". Okay. That can only be a "complete retraction" in the Layman dictionary.
blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:10 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The biggest single cause of rampant tribalism is the revolution in electronic communication.

I think that's an astute point. New media/communications systems have profound social consequences that can take a long while to grasp even as we operate within them. Then, as you suggest, add in the modern capacity to determine, with incredible accuracy, demographics that are likely to respond to a certain sort of appeal (or react badly to another sort of appeal) and then you've set up a pretty ideal environment for those who find it convenient to divide and conquer.
blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:11 am
@snood,
But as Trump said, Duterte has done a great job on the whole drug thing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:13 am
@blatham,
yeh, we got either "Believe only your personal political team" or else it " post cute kitties"
blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:15 am
@nimh,
Quote:
The biggest single cause of rampant tribalism is the revolution in electronic communication.
You're like a modern Job, nimh.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:25 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
yeh, we got either "Believe only your personal political team" or else it " post cute kitties"
Well, there's also Top Gear and cavorting naked people and youtube and photos of Jupiter so things aren't quite that bleak.

The Gianforte incident really caught my attention (along with many others, of course). This is right into brownshirt territory.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 09:34 am
This tells a story. The three main petroleum industry groups fervently demand to be included in a law suit launched against the US government re environmental consequences of energy policy. Then, at the moment discovery is imminent, they ask to withdraw.
TP
****, I so despise these people.
camlok

Sun 28 May, 2017 12:34 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
****, I so despise these people.

And they are only the tip of the iceberg. Why are you so selective in your condemnations, blatham?
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 28 May, 2017 12:41 pm
You're not going to change your mind
Quote:
Our study suggests that political belief polarization may emerge because of peoples’ conflicting desires, not their conflicting beliefs per se. This is rather troubling, as it implies that even if we were to escape from our political echo chambers, it wouldn’t help much. Short of changing what people want to believe, we must find other ways to unify our perceptions of reality.

NYT
camlok

Sun 28 May, 2017 12:47 pm
@hightor,
I would guess - neither are you, hightor. Correct?

Did this come from within the NYT's echo chamber?
layman

Sun 28 May, 2017 01:13 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Our study suggests that political belief polarization may emerge because of peoples’ conflicting desires, not their conflicting beliefs per se

Of course. Like David Hume done said:

Quote:
“Reason is, and ought only to be, the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them.”
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 28 May, 2017 01:16 pm
Following on the unification theme...

Alabama Shakes is a very recent discovery for me. I'm linking a performance here as an example. You'll pay attention to the singer because that's unavoidable. She's incredible. But also pay attention to the four guys pushing her along. They are perfectly tight and the drummer's rhythm, even though he's aggressive, is about as close to a metronome as you can get doing handmade music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQEbAlFw5_0

PS... the flourishing of the arts in America is one of the very fine things about the place. It's up there with K-Tel products.

What the hell, here's another. I actually like this one better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8V6pPHMSEo
layman

Sun 28 May, 2017 01:43 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
You want to argue that "choked" is nevertheless a totally unwarranted description, go ahead, be weaselly.

The witness, according to your post on the topic:

Quote:
"I saw both his hands go up, not around his neck in a strangling type of way...

Nice try, cheese-eater.
camlok

Sun 28 May, 2017 01:48 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Nice try, cheese-eater.

I'll bet you pack away more than a few pounds of cheese yourself, layman, possibly even in one sitting.
0 Replies