monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:16 am
@snood,
Quote:
Amazing, isn't it?
Yes. But I'm more frightened by it than amazed. It's a level of tribal loyalty that is taking the US to very bad places.
giujohn

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:17 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

It's like a bad dream and you can't wake up. Apparently his supporters are sheep.

Nah, sheep is way too benificent an appellation for these people who, with eyes wide open, handed this pestilence the reins of federal government... AND who continue - with evidence of 45's bottomless twistedness piling high - to support, defend and enable. 'Sheep' connotes a sort of innocent mindlessness that's easily led about. No, I think we are dealing with people who are, in the best case scenario, operating inside some kind of weird, willful cognitive dissonance they have to keep erected so that they can call wrong right, a lie the truth, and evil good. I'll NEVER believe they can't see the piece of crap this administration is.

LOL...When faced with a choice between the 😈 (Clinton crime family) and the deep blue sea (Trump) you bet your ass I'll put a sailors hat on every time.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:22 am
@izzythepush,
God, what an ugly story.
camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:23 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Yes. But I'm more frightened by it than amazed. It's a level of tribal loyalty that is taking the US to very bad places.

Deja vu all over again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
There's a thesis I've been pushing (and thinking about, obviously) for quite a few years - that in many important ways America has not been well-served in its revolution against Britain. I began thinking about this in trying to figure out why the US has so many foundational myth stories whereas Canada has really almost nothing of the sort. We have nothing like "the redcoats are coming!", the Tea Party rebellion, Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, "I regret I have but one life to give for my country", Johnny Appleseed, etc etc. And because both nations' origins and settlement patterns are really so similar, this struck me as very curious.

I just bumped into a brilliant piece by Adam Gopnik in the New Yorker that addresses precisely the questions and ideas I've been interested in. I've not finished reading it yet but I highly recommend this piece.
Quote:
WE COULD HAVE BEEN CANADA
Was the American Revolution such a good idea?

And what if it was a mistake from the start? The Declaration of Independence, the American Revolution, the creation of the United States of America—what if all this was a terrible idea, and what if the injustices and madness of American life since then have occurred not in spite of the virtues of the Founding Fathers but because of them? The Revolution, this argument might run, was a needless and brutal bit of slaveholders’ panic mixed with Enlightenment argle-bargle, producing a country that was always marked for violence and disruption and demagogy. Look north to Canada, or south to Australia, and you will see different possibilities of peaceful evolution away from Britain, toward sane and whole, more equitable and less sanguinary countries. No revolution, and slavery might have ended, as it did elsewhere in the British Empire, more peacefully and sooner. No “peculiar institution,” no hideous Civil War and appalling aftermath. Instead, an orderly development of the interior—less violent, and less inclined to celebrate the desperado over the peaceful peasant. We could have ended with a social-democratic commonwealth that stretched from north to south, a near-continent-wide Canada.

The thought is taboo, the Revolution being still sacred in its self-directed propaganda.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/15/we-could-have-been-canada

I'll take the USA. Having our Bill of Rights protects our freedom. We've seen that same freedom be abolished in country after country elsewhere in the world.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:37 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The real goal of all this is to just prosecute members of the Trump Administration for any little offense.

I don't think that anyone would have figured you for a partisan little hack until just now, oralloy.

Quote:
Now, let's have FBI investigations and IRS audits for all the Democrats to see what they can be prosecuted for.

Okay.
camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:42 am
@roger,
Quote:
it is very good for them to have us as an ally.

How can it be good for anyone to have vicious war criminals and the world's top terrorists as an ally, Roger?
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:45 am
@layman,
Quote:
and constantly urges it's sorry-ass adherents to attack "soft targets," like crowds at sporting events, dance clubs, concerts, etc.

Any "softer" target than the half million Iraqi children the US/UK slaughtered in the 1990s, layman? You vicious, evil folks are such incredible hypocrites.
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:51 am
@oralloy,
You never have been very good at facing reality, oralloy. Such is the fate of being an severely deluded, fully propagandized American.
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 27 May, 2017 07:55 am
@gungasnake,
I don't know which was the clincher, gungasnake, Dixon Diaz or Rowdy Yates.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 27 May, 2017 08:19 am
@layman,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 May, 2017 08:26 am
@blatham,
I consider WH staff to be government employees. I feel certain that US tax dollars are used to pay their salaries.

There are leaks that fit the traditional definition of "whistle blowing" and then there are those done for political ends, spite and, I'm guessing, ego. Those that truly fit the traditional definition are rare.

Leaking details of the Manchester Bombing investigation could not possibly be called whistle blowing. Those that did it were either paid in cash or the attention and flattery of media hounds.

Yes, I did miss comments from Limbaugh and Ingraham. I'd point out though that neither are GOP politicians nor leaders of the conservative movement. Obviously Limbaugh is a very influential conservative as respects the opinions of millions of Americans who classify themselves as conservative (Ingraham far less so), but they are no more leaders of the conservative movement than Rachel Maddow and Jonathan Stewart are leaders of the liberal movement.

Unless the facts of the particular incident are very much different from what I've heard or read, Gianforte's behavior was inexcusable, in my mind, and I don't find it appropriate to condone it in any way simply because so many reporters are obnoxious twits. They don't have violence coming to them. Anyone making a joke about it is in a grey area for me. He doesn't seem to have been seriously injured so it would be hard to say any such jokes were as insensitive and in horrid taste as those that have been made about Sarah Palin's children, but I doubt that, unlike with the Palin jokes, any late night comics addressing the incident cast the innocent party as the butt of the joke.

In any case, assertions that the incident is evidence that a) Donald Trump has corrupted American society, the GOP or the conservative movement or b) The conservative movement is corrupted are entirely overblown and people like Charen (who I often agree with) and Gershon (who I rarely agree with) are using it for the convenience of their obvious distaste for Trump. Charen though is no hypocrite. For years she has reliably spoken out against acts and words of incivility and if she reserved her criticism only for that which comes from the left, I would be disappointed.

In both cases, we see pundits who are not at all happy with the fact that Trump is president, but I think that each has come to that point along different paths. The writers at National Review all like to consider themselves intellectuals and for the most part they all are, but regardless of what policies Trump had campaigned on, they were never going to fully embrace him. Intellectuals of any stripe tend to be elitists and a crude populist is rarely going to be a personal favorite. I've no problem with that since I was never going to fully embrace him and I still haven't. The difference though is that many of the writers can't resist highlighting any and all incidents that can be used in defense of "I told you so!" In this case, Charen couldn't resist using an incident that is entirely besides the point. No one at National Review, to my knowledge, predicted that if Trump was elected, GOP candidates would resort to violence in dealing with obnoxious reporters.

As far as Gershon goes, while I dislike use of the term RINO, it seems to suit him well.

That a man with Trump's obvious personality flaws is our president is a symptom, not the cause, of the ever coarsening American culture and I would argue that liberals are far more responsible for that unfortunate arc than conservatives. Regardless, it is a pre-existing condition that can't be blamed on any one person or event.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 May, 2017 08:29 am
@giujohn,
Well said
0 Replies