monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

tony5732

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:29 pm
@blatham,
Wouldn't this lying thing be a mute point?? We had two realistic choices as a country when we voted, neither candidate was honest at all. We all knew that.

I personally don't excuse Trump for being a liar, he just had better ideas than the other liar. I don't think he will build a wall, I know he backtracked on several statements and the whole birther thing. I get it.

He is interested in fueling the economy, making some good numbers, and out doing other presidents probably for the sole purpose of boosting his own image and ego.

I'm OK with that.
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:32 pm
@tony5732,
We can't do anything about his election as president. All we can do now is wait and see how he performs.
I'm not sure how other heads of state can trust a pathological liar like Trump, but that's our problem. His buddy Putin will probably help him keep out of real trouble.
tony5732

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 09:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As long as he isn't stopped before becoming president I am pretty sure we will be OK. Companies will get some life and some breathing room, there will be less incentive to pack up and head overseas, and Obamacare will be replaced by something more sane.

If Trump is somehow stopped by the Electoral College, than goodbye America. We will never be united again. As it is the country has been split down the middle over the last 8 years to the point where people straight up rioting nation wide, constantly. Liberals are getting super violent and conservatives have elected Trump as sort of middle finger to liberals.

A faithless elector candidate instead of the election winner would move us past a point of no return.

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 09:40 pm
@tony5732,
Quote:
neither candidate was honest at all.

You refuse to face up to the empirically discernible differences in the frequency and the magnitude of lies told. You also fail to honesty come to grips with how anomalous Trump is in comparison with any prior candidate of either party in your or my lifetime. The only good news in this is that many conservatives don't share your casual approach to such a key aspect of character in a leader.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 09:46 pm
@tony5732,
Quote:
As it is the country has been split down the middle over the last 8 years to the point where people straight up rioting nation wide, constantly.

Your specification of "the last eight years" suggests you are either very young or that your information sources are severely limited to rightwing outlets.

Quote:
people straight up rioting nation wide, constantly.

There's nothing much I can do with a claim so far from being accurate. Where do you get your information? Serious question.
blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:06 pm
Quote:
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump took aim at a new media target Thursday morning, writing on Twitter that Vanity Fair magazine is "dead" and its editor has "no talent."

The magazine has been regularly critical of Trump throughout his candidacy and into his transition, publishing stories this week headlined "someone has finally agreed to perform at Donald Trump inauguration" and "Trump Grill could be the worst restaurant in America."

It's an eerily familiar pattern: Trump sees criticism, Trump resents criticism, and Trump lashes out at those responsible for the criticism. In this case, Vanity Fair published a piece late yesterday with unkind words about the restaurant at Trump Tower, leading the president-elect to put aside the work he's supposed to be doing, fire up Twitter, and announce his contempt for the publication that's slighted him.

This obviously isn't how U.S. leaders are supposed to conduct themselves -- especially in public -- and it's not how Trump should be spending his time. But even more jarring is the frequency of these incidents.
thin skinned authoritarian

Again, this is not merely unusual behavior in a president, it is seriously authoritarian behavior. Authoritarians always begin by trying to bully and suppress any commentary about them which they see as a criticism or as insufficiently adulatory (ie satire). This is a pattern with him and it is truly ugly.

But it is critically important to keep in mind that his behavior is supported by many on the right because of the the notion drilled in their noggins by Limbaugh and Fox and other such sources that the news media is unfair and untrustworthy. Within that mindset, Trump is not merely forgiven when he does this, he is cheered.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:15 pm
Rick Perry as head of Energy. Good idea? Maybe not.
Quote:
The United States Department of Energy (DOE) is a Cabinet-level department of the United States Government concerned with the United States' policies regarding energy and safety in handling nuclear material. Its responsibilities include the nation's nuclear weapons program, nuclear reactor production for the United States Navy, energy conservation, energy-related research, radioactive waste disposal, and domestic energy production.
wikipedia

Note that the last two Energy secretaries were physicists. Perry was an air force pilot and has been on Dancing with the Stars and he does have smart glasses now. So that ought to be fine.
tony5732

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:24 pm
@blatham,
Alright bLatham, here is a list of riots in the US.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_States

2000-2008 11 riots.
Obama's presidency 2009-2016. 26 riots.

Over double the riots. Possibly ongoing if liberals haven't stopped rioting over their candidate not being elected. Are they finished with that yet?

I don't know if Wikipedia is really a right wing source but if you have a left wing source that lists riots use that and we can count those.

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:26 pm
@blatham,
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaVUavmknNx7bJBM2QwOTYNiD85Q5m2vOgShz-fOeY4eMdZfdB
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:46 pm
@tony5732,
I'd like to discuss with you but I won't if you continue to be this careless in making false claims and then pretending that what you cite supports the claims.

1. That is not a list of riots. It is a list of "incidents of civil unrest" which includes, of course, protests which are protected under the First A.
2. The claim you made was "over the last 8 years to the point where people straight up rioting nation wide, constantly."

PS... and I did ask you what information sources you attend to. Could you please answer that and do so honestly.
glitterbag

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:58 pm
@blatham,
Psst, he's very young and he doesn't know how to fact check.
giujohn

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:03 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Hey granny...so if you don't like what somebody has to say they're automatically too young... Could it be that as an octogenarian everyone is young to you even a sixty-year-old?
blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
I'll give the fellow (or reverse fellow) a chance. Maybe two.
0 Replies

tony5732

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:33 pm
@tony5732,
OK, I guess injured officers and stabbings weren't called "riots" but if you count just the incidents that were officially "riots" (Wikipedia lists that too) than you still have over double the amount of riots during the Obama presidency. Point still stands.

The protests in which highways are blocked, stuff gets robbed, or police officers are injured are also still pretty messed up. Just saying.
glitterbag

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:36 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Hey granny...so if you don't like what somebody has to say they're automatically too young... Could it be that as an octogenarian everyone is young to you even a sixty-year-old?

Oh that's certainly a possibility, but then again maybe it's more like someone who has 70 brain cells automatically seeing some one like the aforementioned stupid. Not that I think you're stupid, I just think you are angry and you also think you have an influence of sorts. Isn't this a school night and shouldn't you
be asleep? Nite nite
blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:47 pm
@tony5732,
What point still stands? Obviously not the claim you made as it does not come anywhere near being accurate. If you wish to say that there were approximately 2X the number of riots during Obama's term than the previous year, that would a justifiable claim. But if you wish to go further and make a secondary claim that Obama or his policies were causal, then you are going to have to do far more work than I expect you are prepared to do.

And you continue to avoid my question regarding what information sources you attend to. You know many of mine as I have entered them here. And that's a partial picture of what I read every day and have for years. So, please respond. I'd rather not put you on ignore but I will if you're not honest.
georgeob1

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 01:07 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

What point still stands? Obviously not the claim you made as it does not come anywhere near being accurate. If you wish to say that there were approximately 2X the number of riots during Obama's term than the previous year, that would a justifiable claim. But if you wish to go further and make a secondary claim that Obama or his policies were causal, then you are going to have to do far more work than I expect you are prepared to do.

When have you ever met this standard yourself ? You blithely assert vast "conspiracies of movement conservtism" and "the evil Koch brothers" with nothing more than your own ufounded assertions, and, when pressed, offer nothing more than some juornalist's equally unfounded assertion as "proof".

Who or what gives you the authority to lay out such "expectations" for others ? Perhaps you do really believe you are the schoolmaster here and the others here really do sit at your feet awaiting the bits that fall from your hands, as you ( I now think seriously) indicated earlier. Some here do indeed appear to rather slavishly submit ( tho' I find it sadly pathetic) . I hope Tony isn't fool enough to take the bait.

blatham wrote:

And you continue to avoid my question regarding what information sources you attend to. You know many of mine as I have entered them here. And that's a partial picture of what I read every day and have for years. So, please respond. I'd rather not put you on ignore but I will if you're not honest.

Some remarkable, and perhaps revealing, posturing on your part here, and accompanied by a rather presumptious threat, don't you think?

Are you the judge of who here is honest? We all have opinions, but only delusional people believe they have a right to impose them on others. You wield the ignore feature as though is is a weapon of punishment that others must necessarily fear. I find that a bit .... strange and unreal.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 06:00 am
Quote:
Who or what gives you the authority to lay out such "expectations" for others ?

Me, if he would like like me to engage him. If he doesn't want to play it that way, then he can chat with others. We all pick and choose whether we want to engage others in conversation here or anywhere.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 06:06 am
NY Times editorial on the blatant power grab in North Carolina
Quote:
Having lost the governorship of North Carolina, Republicans there are resorting to a novel strategy to subvert the will of the voters: They are trying to strip the new governor of some of his powers.

First, for weeks after the close election, Gov. Pat McCrory refused to concede to Attorney General Roy Cooper, demanding recounts and alleging, without evidence, widespread voting fraud. It didn’t get him anywhere. So on Wednesday, during a hastily convened special session, Republican lawmakers introduced bills to, among other things, require State Senate confirmation of cabinet appointments; slash the number of employees who report to the governor to 300 from 1,500; and give Republicans greater clout on the Board of Elections, the body that sets the rules for North Carolina’s notoriously burdensome balloting.

...This legislative power grab is the latest underhanded step by a state Republican Party desperate to stay in power in a state where demographic changes would normally benefit Democrats. Republicans in North Carolina, a presidential battleground state, have used aggressive redistricting and voting suppression measures that are among the most brazen in the nation to win elections. The courts have blocked some of these efforts, but Republicans have found workarounds, for instance, by limiting voting hours and sites.
link

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 16 Dec, 2016 06:10 am
Bait and switch news from all over (well, actually, not from all over but just from Trumpland)
Quote:
During the campaign, Donald Trump railed against powerful corporations and promised to prevent blockbuster mergers like the proposed $85.4 billion deal between AT&T and Time Warner. That was then. Since the election, Mr. Trump has been decidedly less interested in constraining the power of big companies, especially those in the telecommunications industry.

It now appears that the AT&T acquisition of Time Warner might be approved after all, according to The Financial Times. One antitrust adviser to Mr. Trump, Joshua Wright, argued last month in The New York Times that “a high level of concentration in an industry simply does not mean the industry lacks competition.”

...In addition to being more open to big deals, Mr. Trump appears ready to do away with regulations on this oligopolistic industry. As it is, a lack of competition for some services is driving up prices.
but you can trust the man
0 Replies