monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:32 pm
@blatham,
I'm sure there are tons of people who find all this 'staying informed' blather annoying or more likely boring. And I understand that a big flamboyant tycoon is fun to watch especially as he takes on everyone, crushes critics on Twitter and generally barrels around like Georgeous George from the old pro-wrestling slap fests. However, I truly hope that someone will be keeping their eye on the ball, and not just stage managing events for Donald Trump. We get constant updates on Kanye West, and minute by minute updates on the stock market, let's not pretend that nothing else matters.
Frugal1

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:03 pm
@glitterbag,
Well said.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:14 pm

By the way, politifact IS the Enemy.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:50 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. What I'm trying to do on this thread is a bit unusual for A2K so that might cause some consternation among regulars. But I really see no value at all in the pissing contests the commonly erupt in political discussions here or most anywhere else. Insults versus insult, assertion versus assertion, etc. Likewise, I don't see much value in the repetition of arguments that have been going on for a decade here.

So I thought I'd carve a space where I can bring in educated and thoughtful opinions and commentary from outside our little circle. The voices I choose to include are from people or news-related entities I've come to trust over the years. A key goal is to provide a venue for learning.

I have no idea, really, how many participants bother to read the links I add but I'm not much bothered if some read them now and again or if some don't bother at all. Making them available is the point.
ossobucotemp

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:58 pm
Haven't yet read the last few posts, but I was impelled to look up how to spell mischegas; turns out there is more than one way to spell it; from Jewish English Lexicon.com, it means "Foolishness, nonsense, craziness." Craziness fits with how I took the word when I first heard it in my lab days. That is how I see the U.S. presently romping downhill in a wide and sticky basket, with us not the only ones in the world jumping into baskets.

In contrast to others, I thank Blatham for providing a thread with contributions he found that are written by people monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events, and by some a2kers, including arguments against such takes as mine in the paragraph above about the goings on now..

So, thanks for the work you are doing, Bernie.
Debra Law

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:12 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm sure there are tons of people who find all this 'staying informed' blather annoying or more likely boring. And I understand that a big flamboyant tycoon is fun to watch especially as he takes on everyone, crushes critics on Twitter and generally barrels around like Georgeous George from the old pro-wrestling slap fests. However, I truly hope that someone will be keeping their eye on the ball, and not just stage managing events for Donald Trump. We get constant updates on Kanye West, and minute by minute updates on the stock market, let's not pretend that nothing else matters.

The written word is often interpreted by the reader in a manner contrary to the intent of the writer.

I can't tell from your post, glitterbag, what you intended by your words. Please elaborate.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Tah, as my sweet little English granny would say.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:26 pm
@blatham,
This is similar to the approach I was taking, particularly during the primaries, but carrying through the election. I saw no point arguing, finally, with people who voiced the same arguments and criticism, with little variation. I appreciate it much more than "Is too." "Is not." "Is too."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:32 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Yes. What I'm trying to do on this thread is a bit unusual for A2K so that might cause some consternation among regulars. But I really see no value at all in the pissing contests the commonly erupt in political discussions here or most anywhere else. Insults versus insult, assertion versus assertion, etc. Likewise, I don't see much value in the repetition of arguments that have been going on for a decade here.

And yet you keep posting the same old opinions from the same old sources, merely updated with the latest rather insignificant details. It looks and smells like repetition to me. The difference is there is no dissent; no discussion; no alternative.

blatham wrote:

So I thought I'd carve a space where I can bring in educated and thoughtful opinions and commentary from outside our little circle. The voices I choose to include are from people or news-related entities I've come to trust over the years. A key goal is to provide a venue for learning.
Perhaps some serious delusions of grandeur here "I'd carve a space ... " ; "I can bring in educated and thoughtful opinions..." "...provide a venue for learning" Yes you all do indeed sit at his feet and gobble up the crumbs he selects for you. Be good little sheep.

blatham wrote:

I have no idea, really, how many participants bother to read the links I add but I'm not much bothered if some read them now and again or if some don't bother at all. Making them available is the point.
Yes those poor benighted souls do need the availability.

What a lot of horseshit!
tony5732

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:36 pm
@Debra Law,
That's not a faux banner..... I also do not own a gun. Ithe is true that while black lives matter can burn the American flag, and raise their own banners, the confederate flag has become illegal. That is hypocrisy. Seeing Trump as "unfit" for being dishonest, but supporting Hillary Clinton, would also be hypocrisy. No, conservatives did not pull the same level of nationwide violence and hatred when Obama won. That again, is liberals. No victimization here from me, I do not feel like a victim. I feel as someone who helped get the RIGHT candidate in and knows exactly why I voted Trump.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:42 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
"We have all the guns."

Too late. I seem to remember why back at the start one of them had claimed just that.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:43 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I enjoy this thread. I like reading the materials at the sites linked and pondering the information and/or point of view offered. Feeding the mind is one of my favorite things to do.

I don't know what glitterbag meant by her post. I don't think she meant that people are bored with being informed on this thread; afterall, there is no requirement that any member read the thread. I think the people who participate in this thread do so because you offer us substantial fodder for thought and discussion. I think glitterbag was being facetious? I asked her to clarify or elaborate on her words.
RABEL222

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Perhaps he just got weary of all the high school sorority stuff that prevails here.

Or maybe he got tired of being proven a liar like some others on this site.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 06:56 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra, I just saw your post. Let me answer you in a few hours, I've had a fever today and am a little worn out......I'm glad you asked for clarification, I didn't think I was being opaque but I take your point.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 07:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
So, thanks for the work you are doing, Bernie.

Me to Bernie. I just wish more of the conservatives were more honest about them.
blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 07:33 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
What a lot of horseshit!

You know, george, if you were to go back through my posts/links here (or elsewhere on other threads) you'll find that I've linked to more pieces by conservative writers than anyone else. That's one thing.

Earlier, you told me that during the last Bohemian Grove get-together that most of the people there (or perhaps who you spoke with) were supporting Clinton rather than Trump. When I inquired why, you said [paraphrasing from memory] "for a lot of the same bullshit reasons you I read here". Do I have that right?

So the notion that the content I post/link is merely unthinking, uncareful lefty stuff doesn't make much sense. I like honest people. I despise dishonest people in positions of great responsibility.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
If Russia, or some other entity, was hacking, why did the White House wait so long to act? Why did they only complain after Hillary lost?
6:24 AM - 15 Dec 2016

He's lying and he knows he's lying.
Quote:
“The Obama administration on Friday officially accused Russia of attempting to interfere in the 2016 elections, including by hacking the computers of the Democratic National Committee and other political organizations.”
Washington Post, Oct 7

Quote:
A senior U.S. intelligence official assured NBC News that cybersecurity and the Russian government's attempts to interfere in the 2016 election have been briefed to, and discussed extensively with, both parties' candidates, surrogates and leadership, since mid-August.
NBC news

And, of course, he was confronted with this in the presidential debates as we all witnessed.

That lie is one of literally hundreds he has spoken or written often in the face of video/audio/textual evidence that he has lied.

And far, far too many Republicans who previously indicted him for this sort of behavior as making him unfit for office have now dropped their integrity and their civic duty by supporting him, excusing him, spinning for him.

Lastly, the broad propagandist attack on empiricism and science and the media coming from the right is now so serious that the US is in real danger as a functioning democracy. And it is certainly not just lefties who perceive this danger.

blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 07:35 pm
@RABEL222,
To rabel, deborah and edgar - thank you
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 07:40 pm
@blatham,
It's easy to prove that Trump is a pathological liar. Trump even won the Lie of the Year in 2015.
blatham

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It's easy to prove that Trump is a pathological liar.

Yes it is. And it has been obvious to so many for so long now. What frightens is the hyper-partisan zeal that excuses and minimizes it. And the destructive, short-sighted, selfish zest for power or increased wealth placed above the good of the nation and its 300 million humans.
cicerone imposter

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:23 pm
@blatham,
We can't help it if the American voters are so misinformed and stupid. They all believe Trump is a good businessman, but they don't understand that he inherited his money, and his performance has been pretty bad. He's also a scam artist that have bankrupted other people. Most people heard of his fraudulent university, Trump University. It wasn't a accredited university, and he should not have used "university."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/432010/trump-university-scam

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-business-success-claims-questioned/
0 Replies