monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 24 May, 2017 07:56 am
Trump visits Pope Francis.

I'm curious as to how many right wing posters here deem Trump a better, wiser sort of human than Francis.
izzythepush

Wed 24 May, 2017 07:57 am
@blatham,
Depends on whether you worship Christ or Mammon.
blatham

Wed 24 May, 2017 08:05 am
Jennifer Rubin has a good column on the Fox/Seth Rich thing where she makes some of the same points I made earlier this morning...
Quote:
Unfortunately, the task of policing Fox is mainly left to liberal groups. Conservative media watchdogs have no stomach, it seems, for tackling a media operation that has become the scourge of journalism and of principled conservatism. Talk radio is likewise infected by conspiracy mongering and aversion to empirical data.

By contrast, some responsible conservative voices have condemned Fox’s conduct and/or pleaded with Hannity to end his plunge into the sewer of conspiracy-mongering. Max Boot, for example, wrote, “Twenty-one years after the creation of Fox News, America is more in need than ever of a principled conservative TV channel — one that will be loyal to conservative ideals rather than to populist demagogues and that will rely on actual facts instead of alternative ones. Maybe, just maybe, this is the role that Fox can finally play if it is radically revamped by Rupert Murdoch’s sons.”) Becket Adams at the Washington Examiner wrote a column entitled, “That report about Seth Rich, the slain DNC staffer, is hot hunk of hokum.”

The episode is the culmination of a long trend at Fox, which began as an antidote to perceived liberal bias and has devolved into a cesspool of anti-immigrant hysteria, climate-change denial, cultist support for President Trump and assaults on “elites,” including legitimate news operations.

The debasement of conservative debate and dumbing down of the Republican Party cannot be blamed entirely on Fox, talk radio and absence of adult supervision in previously upscale conservative circles, but its role in transforming the party of ideas into the party of “alternative facts” — better known as lies, rumors and crackpottery — cannot be overstated.
WP
But her indictment ought to go further than merely criticizing right wing media operations for failing so poorly to take Fox and right wing radio to task. Deeply complicit here are all the GOP politicos from leadership down who have long supported and facilitated this degradation of discourse for their very selfish political ends.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 24 May, 2017 08:12 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think that's a modern dilemma not exclusive to the right. But it does grate rather more where theological/moral righteousness is trumpeted as in the welcoming of a proud pussy grabber and Gold Medal false-witness-bearer champion at Liberty U.

But Trump and Duterte don't like liberals. So, that's the important thing.

McGentrix

Wed 24 May, 2017 08:27 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Quote:
In testimony before the House Intelligence Committee, Brennan said

“I was worried by a number of the contacts that the Russians had with U.S. persons,” Brennan said, adding that he did not see proof of collusion before he left office on Jan. 20, but “felt as though the FBI investigation was certainly well-founded and needed to look into those issues.”

Brennan was also asked about Trump’s disclosure of highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting this month. Brennan said that the CIA at times provided tips about terrorist plots to the Kremlin...

Anything else is speculation and unimportant.
blatham

Wed 24 May, 2017 08:38 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Speculation? Sure. Unimportant? Hardly.
Quote:
“felt as though the FBI investigation was certainly well-founded and needed to look into those issues.
McGentrix

Wed 24 May, 2017 08:52 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
“felt as though the FBI investigation was certainly well-founded and needed to look into those issues.

Quote:
former agency director John Brennan testified on Tuesday,

Brennan said he became increasingly concerned...

I was worried by a number of the contacts that the Russians had with U.S. persons,” Brennan said, adding that he did not see proof of collusion before he left office on Jan. 20, but “felt as though the FBI investigation was certainly well-founded and needed to look into those issues.”

Sensitive information should only be passed through intelligence services, not divulged to foreign ministers or ambassadors, Brennan said. Referring to the information revealed by Trump, Brennan said it had neither gone through “the proper channels nor did the originating agency have the opportunity to clear language for it.”

Brennen was "concerned" and "Worried" and he "felt" and "he did not see proof of collusion" despite his feelings and concerns. Feelings and concerns are not enough to prosecute an impeachment.

maporsche

Wed 24 May, 2017 09:02 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

blatham wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
former agency director John Brennan testified on Tuesday,

Brennan said he became increasingly concerned...

I was worried by a number of the contacts that the Russians had with U.S. persons,” Brennan said, adding that he did not see proof of collusion before he left office on Jan. 20, but “felt as though the FBI investigation was certainly well-founded and needed to look into those issues.”

Sensitive information should only be passed through intelligence services, not divulged to foreign ministers or ambassadors, Brennan said. Referring to the information revealed by Trump, Brennan said it had neither gone through “the proper channels nor did the originating agency have the opportunity to clear language for it.”

Brennen was "concerned" and "Worried" and he "felt" and "he did not see proof of collusion" despite his feelings and concerns. Feelings and concerns are not enough to prosecute an impeachment.

Is the CIA director in charge of investigating American citizens?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 May, 2017 09:02 am
@izzythepush,
blatham wrote:
I'm curious as to how many right wing posters here deem Trump a better, wiser sort of human than Francis.

izzythepush wrote:
The order of precedence visiting the main sides of three religions could give some clue ... Wink

Pope Francis on Wednesday gave President Trump a copy of his 2015 encyclical letter on the environment and climate change.
Trump responded to the gifts by saying: "Well, I'll be reading them."

"Laudato si'", with the subtitle "On Care For Our Common Home", laments environmental degradation and climate change, and calls all people of the world to take "swift and unified global action".
Reading about it is the first step ...
giujohn

Wed 24 May, 2017 09:44 am
To all the cheese heads, (but especially blather) who are gleefully a twitter thinking Trump is on the ropes and the knock out punch is inevitable, I issue this challenge.

All your bloviating amounts to less than a hill of chicken ****.

Considering how cocksure you all are, put up or shut up.

You see I'm am confident Trump will still be President in 2020 and beyond. If we are to believe all you propogandists on the left, Trump won't last his first term. So step up to the plate. Have the courage of your convictions...don't be a 🐔 **** blather...take the bet.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 May, 2017 09:54 am
@giujohn,
Now, that really is a very convincing post!
Certainly your thoughtful arguments will change my mind and that of others.
Thanks for these well articulated words!
glitterbag

Wed 24 May, 2017 09:57 am
Does anybody know what it is gooey is trying to say???
izzythepush

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:04 am
@glitterbag,
Don't know. Don't care. Don't read.
glitterbag

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:15 am
@izzythepush,
I can't argue with that.
InfraBlue

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
First, it's revealed that Trump directly expressed to Comey his hope that Comey would let the Flynn investigation go.

Really? What were the president's words?

According to a memo of Comey's, Trump said, “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let
this go.”

Brandon9000 wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Now, there's the revelation that he instructed his director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and his director of the National Security Agency, Adm. Michael S. Rogers, to publicly deny the existence of evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.

Really? Where does this claim come from?

According to the article that I linked, the claim comes from "two current and two former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private communications with the president."
Olivier5

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:25 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
In our nightmares, we wondered what a Palin administration might look like. Now we know.

Palin would be a bit better. At least she's cute.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:27 am
Not only some posters here take internet rumours for the absolute truth but:

Another elected official cites ‘the Internet’ in defense of his bad arguments

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/dS1nxH4.jpg
giujohn

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:41 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Does anybody know what it is gooey is trying to say???

🐔Cluck cluck
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:45 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
georgeob1 wrote;
Quote:
blatham wrote:

This is interesting in two ways. First, you seem to have the notion in your noggin that though I have set to a study of media issues over many years that this study provides me with no greater benefits in understanding the subject than you have acquired with no such level of study.

Some learn a great deal from a little experience: others don't. Some experts in narrow fields are fools in others; others acquire more wisdom from the same effort.
That's simply a cop-out george. Some humans are born albino and some with three nipples but the next person to knock on your front door isn't going to be a three-nippled albino.

You missed my point. I was somewhat gently suggesting that your "study over many years" of political commentary has god you little beyond familiarity with the commentators themselves and the arguments they put forward in advancing their views. It appears to have got you very little in understanding the real economic and moral issues behind the political maneuverings they address at such length. I don't think you are either an albino or a possessor of extra nipples, rather simply less wise and all-knowing than you pretend to be.

Quote:
georgeob1 wrote;
Well, I think you're on to something here, but you quickly flew off into hyperbole and absurdity. I think the U.S. Constitution was an act of some very wise men who understood the tumult of human affairs and deliberately created a government with the checks and balances needed to limit most excesses.
Quote:
blatham wrote; I suggested the US Constitution as an example of how human society can be improved - that progress can be made in human affairs. Your quote of the French cliche has no utility other than as a generalized dismissal of such progress, where you find it convenient. You aren't being wise. You're being lazy.

Not lazy at all, and again you miss the point. The US constitution was an example of improvement for one human society precisely because it favored limited government; local government over central ones; and contained a collection of checks and balances to preserve individual liberty precisely against government.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
georgeob1 wrote
I believe that human nature is sufficiently complex and human behavior sufficiently adaptable to confound any system imposed to organize it in detail, and that very few of the designers of such systems , including "safety nets", foresee the side effects of what they create.
You've forwarded this argument before yet seem to have little grasp on how analytically valueless it is. Any human act or any developed policy will have unintended and unforseeable consequences. Likewise, the absence of any act or policy will also have such consequences.

It is not valueless at all, Even in physical science complexity has an important and often decisive role. Most complex dynamic systems either have no analytical solution that can be represented by any formal or numerical model or, having one in theory, are such that it cannot be accurately computed or measured with any finite effort. That's why free markets work better than planned and managed production and distribution systems, and why weather forecasts are good for only a few days in advance. Unfortunately you appear not to understand these things. Others have paid a high price for such learning including the former Marxists of the Soviet Empire and the unfortunate people of Venezuela today.
giujohn

Wed 24 May, 2017 10:46 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I can't argue with that.

Oh hell Bag...you probably argue with yourself.
0 Replies