I mean, like, really....

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:15 am
@layman,
thatll be your inquiry for the weekend lull. Write a few paragraphs and we will see where he tangentially spoke of things that he wishes to do.

Youll get it more if you spend your own quality time wrestling with it.

OH YEH, you can actually include the 14th amendment in there too.

Several others (like segments of the first as well) seem to be demonstrably in some danger as he wants to restore prayer in schools, admonition of the free press, and several fringey views of some of his appointees (BUT in that case, Der Donald is not an ideologue, I think hell remain rather pragmatic)

Im going up to the mountains to eat roadkill

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
admonition of the free press

Speaking of those guys, I just love watching the evolution of the Trump pictures in the press. I think those, along with the disparaging comments underneath, are what got Der Donald elected.

The Hillary pictures were interesting too! My God was she look'n good near the end.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:31 am
@layman,
Quote:
who was, as the cheese-eaters have amply demonstrated, a total racist, just like his creator, Mark Twain.

Your acuity of historical "facts" is like many of your assertions, full of blow and little light.

I dont believe Ive read anyone here (other than spendius)who considered Clemens a racist. In fact, quite the opposite. The book, "FINN" about Huck's father , was not, written by Clemens. Perhaps you didnt know? Well now you do.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:34 am
@Leadfoot,
One plays with a bass, one doesnt engage it.
Maybe the bass feels its making some good points , its generally of no consequence unless the bass tries to affect the fishermans life with its"bassy" beliefs.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:38 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
And don't even THINK about dis'n evolution!

Im sure if you could, you would try. So far youve been dealing with an empty quiver Dobby
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:41 am
@layman,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:

You should try commenting when the wimmings are talking in the henhouse. Holy cow, what a **** storm that was. Amazed I wasn't banned for that one.

I musta missed that one, Leddy. Got a link?

Not a really big deal, (artistic license ya know) but there were a couple.

The one below came to mind. The hell of it was, the OP hen invited the roosters into the house but when I offered a polite cock-a doodle-doo she handed my head to me.

The votes showed that the silent hens in the house could feel me but they were too timid to speak up. I been look'n for brave hens all my life so girls, when you have the opportunity - Give a cluck.

http://able2know.org/topic/341464-3#post-6307974
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Your acuity of historical "facts" is like many of your assertions, full of blow and little light.

I dont believe Ive read anyone here (other than spendius)who considered Clemens a racist.

That so, Mr. Astute Historian?

Quote:
In September 1957 the New York Times reported the first case that brought about official reaction and obtained public attention for the conflict. The New York City Board of Education had removed Huck Finn from the approved textbook lists of elementary and junior high schools. The book was no longer available for classroom ...Though the Board of Education acknowledged no outside pressure to ban the use of Huck Finn, a representative of one publisher said that school officials had cited "some passages derogatory to Negroes" as the reason for its contract not being renewed....

Around 1976, striking a bargain with parents of black students who demanded the removal of Huck Finn from the curriculum, the administration of New Trier High School in Winnetka, Illinois, agreed to withdraw the novel from required courses and confined Huck to the environs of elective courses and the school library....however, for as recently as March 1988 black parents "discovered" Huck in American Studies, an elective course team taught by an English teacher and an American history teacher, and once again approached school administrators about banning the book.....

The most outspoken opponent to Huck Finn has been John Wallace, a former administrator at the Mark Twain Intermediate School....The fact that people from Texas to Iowa to Illinois to Pennsylvania to Florida to Virginia to New York City concur with Wallace's assessment of Huck Finn demands the attention of the academic community.

Critics vilify Twain most often and most vehemently for his aggressive use of the pejorative term "nigger." Detractors, refusing to accept the good intentions of a text that places the insulting epithet so often in the mouths of characters, black and white, argue that no amount of intended irony or satire can erase the humiliation experienced by black children.

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~acareywe/huck.html

"... no amount of intended irony or satire can erase the humiliation experienced by black children." Well, there ya have it, eh? As I done said, it has been amply demonstrated by cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:50 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im sure if you could, you would try. So far youve been dealing with an empty quiver Dobby
Still play'n the negation game I see.

Am Not!
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:19 pm
"Critics vilify Twain most often and most vehemently for his aggressive use of the pejorative term "nigger." Detractors, refusing to accept the good intentions of a text..."

It seems to me that the easiest and most obvious response to arguments like this are implicit in any kind of actual understanding of history and historical context.

"Agressive?" "Pejorative?"

At the time the ineffable N-word was not "pejorative." It was simply descriptive, like the word "chinese," or "african," for example. If this cannot be understood by cheese-eaters, who invariably project their idiosyncratic values onto all people, everywhere, at all times, past present, and future, then they're really not very smart, are they?

Well, I guess we already knew that and that it goes without saying, but, still....
Krumple

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:37 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

What is up with these pompous, pretentious pontificatin, pedantic, politically-correct, "progressive" pansies, anyway?

They like to call themselves "social justice warriors," eh?

Others might call them snowflakes.

I call them candy-ass cheese-eaters.

What's up with them, exactly, ya figure?

There is a video from the 70s on youtube of a soviet defector who worked for the KGB and in this interview he states all the silent infultration into the US. By having marxist russian professors join US universities and colleges to spread promarxist propaganda to destabilize the mindset in the US.

He clearly states the results such as social extremists (sjws) who are taught victimhood to create disorder by constant complaining as if they are being oppressed by patriarchy and elitist white privileged americans. To keep this infighting going as if any solution is never good enough.

I was considered leftist when I was younger but I got pushed right because I can not get on board with this whiny ultra regressive left. SWJ, black lives matter and third wave feminism is all bullshit. The minds of americans are so easily polluted with propaganda.
layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 12:59 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I was considered leftist when I was younger but I got pushed right because I can not get on board with this whiny ultra regressive left. SWJ, black lives matter and third wave feminism is all bullshit. The minds of americans are so easily polluted with propaganda.

Here again, I can't help but think that Fred Nietzsche might have some valuable insights into the origin, the pervasiveness, and the perpetuation of this sorry state of affairs, eh, Krumps?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 01:52 pm
When your main "weapon" is the self-indulgent, self-congratulatory proclamation of your own supposed "moral superiority" (as measured by your own weak-ass moral standards) and the concomitant condemnation of anyone who doesn't share it, it's kinda hard to convince others to get on board if they have any kinda self-respect and any inclination to trust their own counsel.

The glorification of weakness, not surprisingly, only appeals to the weak.

Three year olds sometimes think the ability to say "no" endows them with the power to dictate reality and with virtual omnipotence. Most people outgrow that delusion, but....
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 07:23 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

farmerman wrote:
Im a particularly vocal opponent of the Broadway musical. I find them overacted, hyperbolic and full of lame music. However ,we enjoyed Hamilton immensely. ..

"We," Farmer? You and your wife? Or buddies? This suggests at least 2 people. Did you and your company pay $2800 to see a one-hour play belonging to a genre that you are "particularly vocal" in opposing?

Somehow, this all aint addin up so good, eh?

I find it kinda fascinating that you go through all these contortions in order to cast yourself as the quintessential cheese-eater, Farmer.

I mean, like, really, what's up with that?
nimh

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:08 pm
@layman,
I don't know where you get your numbers from. $2800 for two tickets to Hamilton? On the black market, maybe. If someone bought them in time, no way - they were available for $140-180. So whatever that was supposed to prove, it doesn't.
layman

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 09:21 pm
@nimh,
Well, I hear that tickets are unavailable, except from the secondary market. Like all prices, the cost varies with supply and demand. According to this website: "on the secondary market. Tickets for June are currently averaging $2,394, according to marketplace TiqIQ. The asking price for seats to "Hamilton" creator Lin-Manuel Miranda's last show on July 9 are as high as $10,000."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/09/hamilton-ups-ticket-prices-adds-lottery-seats.html

Most recently I heard $1400 on some talk show. I don't really know, or care for that matter.

But, if your point is that only a cheese-eating chump would pay that much for a ticket, I agree with you. That said, it's only because they are so many cheese-eatin chumps that prices are absurdly high.
nimh

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2016 10:12 pm
@layman,
Right. Now. On the black market. Or "secondary market", whatever.

Meanwhile, if Farmerman - or anyone - bought tickets before they were sold out, it woulda been $150-180. And whatever you were trying to insinuate wouldn't apply. So.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 05:03 am
@layman,
You have an amazing ability to quote aqnd misunderstand whqt you quote. The topic of Twains racism (like EDgar Rice Burroughs) hs been much discussed here and, the use of a pejorative term by his was sorta his point. When you consider when HF was published (in the early 1880's) the Southern Whites had, since the late 1870's been successful at rolling back most of the civil rights that were won during Reconstruction. HF was a cry by Twain, (in the only style he knew, derisive humor). Tina Fey won the Mark Twin prize three years ago and , in her acceptance speech she said"

Quote:
The only reason you may think Twain was a racist is because today we are able to see, as a society, what he was talking about (in Huck Finn and Puddinhead Wilson)he was saying "Boy we have some more work to do"

I dismiss your earlier observation(and quotes) about Twain as kind of naive and a position quickly jumped to by those unfamiliar with Twain and his own positions about equality and even religions.

Now, had you brought up Twains own negative writings about American Indians (Roughing It), I think Id have a harder time in balancing that and disagreeing with it.

If you want to continue your opinion about Clemens from Huck Finn, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but youd be wrong.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 05:20 am
@nimh,
Hamilton has received hype in the long haul after it opened and was on stage for almost 6 months. When we went up (I already had a meeting on the next day so we made a trip out of it and we read about this musical and it was a present for Mrs F (who does like musicals))
We paid 450 plus tax for two tickets and they were fairly good seats , we could see and hear everything and I actually enjoyedthe play.

So laymans point is that Im a cheese eater . Ok, I like certain cheeses. I love Asiago and Stilton, I would kill for a really crystalline Monchego.
Layman's kind of a bitter white guy who every year or so, comes back to A2k and draws fire on topics , about most of which he remains clueless.

layman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 05:23 am
@farmerman,
"Hamilton has received hype in the long haul after it opened and was on stage for almost 6 months..."

So you went more than 6 months after it opened, Farmer?
layman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2016 05:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The only reason you may think Twain was a racist... I dismiss your earlier observation...If you want to continue your opinion about Clemens from Huck Finn, ...

"My" opinion?

"I" think Twain was a racist?

"My" observations about Clemens?'

And you pretend that I lack reading comprehension?
0 Replies