I'm off to watch the debate

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
sozobe wrote:
Eh?

I'm just saying what I wish he would have said (though I recognize why he didn't).

If he had said that ("I support gay marriage") then I'm sure the entire framework would've been altered. He wouldn't, like, just stick in that one sentence.

Same here, soz. I was hoping he would at least say the words 'civil union'. On that issue, Cheney came off looking better, I think.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
something that cheney said really sort of reinforced my opinion of what the bush/cheney administration is all about;

when talking about attempts to lift the u.s. unilateral sanctions on iran, cheney said something to the effect of " i didn't see any reason for american companies to be hurt by the sanctions".

doesn't that seem to say that "the money" is more important than the right or wrong of the sanctions ?

apparently so...

washingtonpost/halliburton/iran

truthout/halliburton/dresser-rand
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:08 pm
sozobe wrote:
:-)

One thing that bothered the heck out of me even though I see the political expediency is that Edwards couldn't come out and say "I support gay marriage." He did a good job of showing why a constitutional amendment was unnecessary and dumb, but he still had to say the stupid "I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman" stuff. Bleh.

I guess of all things that doesn't matter much, since Cheney had pretty much already conceded that point (that he disagrees with Bush re: constitutional amendment but will support him anyway.)

Who, then was being more honest?

The constitutional amendment bit was code for support of gay "marriage", since the state courts are striking down current laws based on a revisionist interpretation of the state constitutions. Cheny at least tacitly acknowledged his disagreement. Edwards wanted it both ways.

Overall I would say that "political expediency" is a much larger factor in the Kerry rhetoric than in the Bush product.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:49 pm
Bush and Cheney ain't no saints, but Kerry and Edwards aren't either. They all lied during the campaign in the hopes of winning voters instead of advocating ethics and credibility. We all lost.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
I heard a person on the radio today say that compared to Cheney, Edwards came off looking like a high school class president.

All I can say is that Edwards doesn't make me want to shoot my TV the way Kerry does.
0 Replies