I'm off to watch the debate

husker

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
RfromP wrote:

This disease is not a communicable airborne disease, it's not like tuberculosis. The way this disease is transmitted most often by having unprotected sex. Why should the government do anything? If someone choses to have unprotected sex then the consequences are their own responsibility, not the government's.

are you serious Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:55 pm
Quote:
What I just said to E.G. is that I can't tell if he came across as charming or slick.

Well, I was an Edwards supporter myself, as you <ahem> well know, but I don't think he came across as very "charming". But not quite as an effective attack dog either. More kinda, like - exasperated ... but you cant help think he was exasperated as much by the deadpan way in which Cheney delivered the most egregious pieces of spin as by his own failure to get a grip on how to best deal with that. Cause he didn't, not really.

Finally, in his closing statement he showed a bit of a speaker who I can see would be greatly effective - in another context. After rightly hacking away at Cheney all debate long, and juxtaposed to the near-dismissive "can-we-finish-this-meeting-now-I-still-have-important-matters-to-attend-to" CEO style of Cheney, it was such an unnatural shift in gears - it had a slight hint of desperation about it.

Then again, those who are wrestling with the everyday squeeze and dont have enough money to get by on, perhaps they recognized themselves a bit there after all and perhaps they might feel dismissed themselves by Cheney's brisk, business style of responding to questions about their problems. Perhaps. If they were still watching.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
husker wrote:
RfromP wrote:

This disease is not a communicable airborne disease, it's not like tuberculosis. The way this disease is transmitted most often by having unprotected sex. Why should the government do anything? If someone choses to have unprotected sex then the consequences are their own responsibility, not the government's.

are you serious Rolling Eyes

Yes, you disagree?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:59 pm
I think Cheney will be seen as the winner.

I myself think he won, although not by much. Edwards seemed like a freshman.

Cheney's remark about just meeting Edwards tonight will be seen as extremely damning.

This doesn't mean Edwards did badly...he did not. He made some good, straight ahead points that could not be argued with and Cheney didn't try.

So...Edwards not as good as Kerry. Cheney WAY better than bush. The gap between the abilities of the presidential and vice presidential candidates much narrower between Kerry and Edwards. The gap between Cheney, an accomplished and sharp politician whether you ike him or not, and bush, an idiotic talking head.....well a kentucky show horse couldn't jump it.

Example? Cheney's gracious response to Edwards' equally gracious remarks about his daughter. Never see that kind of graciousness out of a bush. 41 or 43.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:01 pm
there will need to be tons of spin on both sides of the aisle because there was nothing happening during the debate. I went channel surfing for femenine deodorant products for a little excitement.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:03 pm
I like Edwards', "We will do what they haven't done" approach. I.e., prescription drugs, Social Security, health insurance.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:05 pm
Does anyone else agree that this debate was a pretty poor performance by all three participants?

I was very bored.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:08 pm
I'm just still baffled by this scene on CSPAN now ... was after the previous debate, too. You know, the spin room? With all these politicians and campaign advisors walking around with some guy holding up their name on this huge vertical sign, looping around while journalists seek them out? And none of them spews out anything but pure spin?

<scratches head>
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:10 pm
I agree ebrown but unfortunately, the media is declaring Cheney the big winner and of course, the public believes what the media tells them.

And Cheney, although lackluster, is the more accomplished veteran of the political wars and it showed a little.

I would still vote for a yellow dog before bush and cheney.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Well, unfortunately, I didn't get any laughs out of this one, which made for a very boring hour and a half. My thoughts are that they both held up well, but I was grabbed more by Edwards when he talked about health care and the drug companies. This is a huge issue for the American people and Chaney didn't even touch on it. I think Chaney was focused only on the war in Iraq and neglected to offer anything to the American people.
The debate on Friday should be interesting, as I know I'm sure to atleast get a chuckle out of it.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
The closing statements were especially poignant. Cheney's was hurried and obviously scripted. Edwards' was scripted also but at least he sounded genuine. Cheney's remarks fell flat and insincere.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
hmmmmm, it was definitely less telling to me than the presidential debate. I found it interesting that Cheney chose to not to respond to Edwards on the gay marriage issue. I found it very dismaying that the word CONDOM was not used ONCE during the discussion about AIDS.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
I agree. It seemed that Cheney had this, lets get this over with attitude.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:24 pm
k, I have to say that with all the other problems going on right now, AIDS just isn't high on the list.

Not politically correct, and I think it's a big problem and I have genuine sympathy for those who have it and believe they deserve the most affordable, available and best care for it....but there's way more important issues.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
littlek wrote:
hmmmmm, it was definitely less telling to me than the presidential debate. I found it interesting that Cheney chose to not to respond to Edwards on the gay marriage issue. I found it very dismaying that the word CONDOM was not used ONCE during the discussion about AIDS.

I was surprised at that myself.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:25 pm
RE: AIDS - I was SHOCKED Edwards didn't bring up the HUGELY FAILING "Abstinence Only" education now in place across the country. Especially when the questioner phrased the question as to how it pertains to young black women. Would have been a nice tie in to No Child Left Behind, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:26 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
k, I have to say that with all the other problems going on right now, AIDS just isn't high on the list.

It should be pretty damned high on the list.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:32 pm
I do think Edwards did very well when he talked about lowering the price on prescription drugs, allowing Americans to buy their drugs from Canada, and their health care plan on making sure every child is insured. I liked that a lot and I'm sure I'm not alone. I believe he also pulled some weight when talking about their plans for protecting Social Security funds.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:32 pm
This is another discussion altogether. I think it's a serious problem with many facets...I am completely aware that many of the it's victims do NOT acquire the disease through indiscriminate intercourse, so don't think I'm one of those well they ask for it guys....I'm not.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
Jessi Klein:
Quote:
just looking at them, I have finally realized who they are...Garfield and Nermal. Cheney is Garfield, the grumpy old fat cat who hates Mondays, and Edwards is the lesser known "Nermal," the obnoxiously too-cute, little kitten with long eyelashes that Garfield hates.

Point is, who's liked more, Garfield or Nermal?

On the other hand, the MSNBC online poll about "who won the debate" again has some 71% saying Edwards, 29% Cheney, after 323,000 responses. Thats about how Kerry did this time after the last debate. Dunno what that says, if anything.
0 Replies