I'm off to watch the debate

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:38 pm
I would have guessed that the polls would show them near tied.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:38 pm
Having given the edge to cheney, who I can't stomach...please let me say on every thread regarding this debate I've posted on, that I will, should Edwards be perceived as the winner of this debate, happily eat crow and ask for second helpings...with a side order of my hat. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:39 pm
nimh wrote:
Jessi Klein:
Quote:
just looking at them, I have finally realized who they are...Garfield and Nermal. Cheney is Garfield, the grumpy old fat cat who hates Mondays, and Edwards is the lesser known "Nermal," the obnoxiously too-cute, little kitten with long eyelashes that Garfield hates.

Point is, who's liked more, Garfield or Nermal?

On the other hand, the MSNBC online poll about "who won the debate" again has some 71% saying Edwards, 29% Cheney, after 323,000 responses. Thats about how Kerry did this time after the last debate. Dunno what that says, if anything.

That doesn't surprise me because Cheney was that same old broken record that offered no changes for the American people, while Edwards covered issues that are very important to the people.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
LOL. I'll hold you to that Bear :-D
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think Cheney will be seen as the winner.

I myself think he won, although not by much. Edwards seemed like a freshman.

Cheney's remark about just meeting Edwards tonight will be seen as extremely damning.

This doesn't mean Edwards did badly...he did not. He made some good, straight ahead points that could not be argued with and Cheney didn't try.

A very succinct and, in my view, accurate summary of the event.

Many of course will see and recall only what they wanted to see even before the debatr took place - as is demonstrated in several if the posts here.

The spinmeisters of both sides will undoubtedly select and dress up excerpts to support their particular viewpoints.

With respect to any lasting effects on the electorate, I believe each participant did his bit to reinforce the standard positions of his respective party. ('We are staying the course and will win' by Cheney, and 'Things are going badly over there' by Edwards.) Towards the end Edwards got a little repititious, leaving an impression of shallowness - a point on which he is vulnerable. Cheny (wisely in my view ) just shrugged off Edwards' personal attacks on Haliburton, and carefully avoided any repetition on any subject - even foregoing some rebuttal time. Some may find this an error, however,I believe it playyed to Cheny's advantage - gravitas I thought Cheey was a bit slow and dry at the start, but he warmed up as the event rolled on. His comment about not ever seeing Edwards in the Senate scored fairly well.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:48 pm
littlek wrote:
I would have guessed that the polls would show them near tied.

Well, you know, I'm sure there's been a Democratic email like this one the Republicans sent out earlier today as well ... so see the poll's current results as a tribute to the Democratic volunteers-and-enthusiasts machine ;-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:49 pm
then, let's await the spin.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:49 pm
A "tie" usually means there was some sort of contest. This wasn't even that! Boring wins.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:53 am
I get up to see that Cheney has been called for outright "forgetting" i.e. lying about never having met Edwards before....so I guess I was happily wrong about my especially damning comment. Hooray!!!!!!!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:01 am
Either that or Edwards just doesn't leave that lasting an impression. I know that I am not impressed with him.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:10 am
The real loser in last night's debate...

...was George Bush.

Anyone watching now knows Bush is less informed and less in command of the facts than any of the three others on the tickets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:14 am
nimh, yeah, we dems got one of those "here's a list of media organizations if you wanna contact them..." emails. I did it after Kerry/Bush (my own words, mind you), haven't done it for this one yet.

What I'm hoping for (haven't seen any "real" polls yet) is that while Edwards was lackluster to those of us who are already sold on his message and were mostly waiting for him to go for the jugular, there are people who have never really seen him and his message before. That's part of what I think happened with Kerry/Bush -- people who get their news through filters or who just don't read the news much had preconceived notions about Kerry and Bush that didn't jibe with what they saw on stage, and so they started a) doubting the filters a bit, b) giving Kerry a more serious look.

So hopefully the debate will still be spin-busting for people who had only the spin to go on thus far.

Oh that reminds me of something else I didn't like, though -- Edwards had a few rather patronizing "I want to be sure the American people understand" kinds of things, seemed a little talking-down. He was better in the closing statement, "As you already know" or "as I don't have to explain to you" or something like thta.

Cool about Cheney lying, Bear! That's what I've been waiting for, the fact-checking... Cheney mentioned factcheck.org (though he said .com) hope lotsa people go there.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:14 am
Frank, I agree. What's interesting is that Edwards said the words John Kerry so many times he even broke the rules doing it. I don't remember Cheney saying Bush's name once (though he might have, it just isn't memorable).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
Oh, evidently two "real" polls already, CBS and CNN, differing results:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/06/debate.main/index.html
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:17 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
The real loser in last night's debate...

...was George Bush.

Anyone watching now knows Bush is less informed and less in command of the facts than any of the three others on the tickets.

he's been a real loser for a damn long time.....we all know that... :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:23 am
I love it. I tried to go to factcheck.org to see if they've factchecked the debate yet and the server is busy. I guess Cheney's comment was effective.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
:-)

One thing that bothered the heck out of me even though I see the political expediency is that Edwards couldn't come out and say "I support gay marriage." He did a good job of showing why a constitutional amendment was unnecessary and dumb, but he still had to say the stupid "I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman" stuff. Bleh.

I guess of all things that doesn't matter much, since Cheney had pretty much already conceded that point (that he disagrees with Bush re: constitutional amendment but will support him anyway.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
nevermind. I read about it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:10 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I get up to see that Cheney has been called for outright "forgetting" i.e. lying about never having met Edwards before....so I guess I was happily wrong about my especially damning comment. Hooray!!!!!!!

I was tickled pink to see this as well. Edwards touched on the grounds of honesty and Cheney lies, lol. Absolutely priceless Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
Eh?

I'm just saying what I wish he would have said (though I recognize why he didn't).

If he had said that ("I support gay marriage") then I'm sure the entire framework would've been altered. He wouldn't, like, just stick in that one sentence.
0 Replies