Breaking News: Saddam possessed WMD, extensive terror ties

Xena

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:19 am
Breaking news..

Exclusive: Saddam Possessed WMD, Had Extensive Terror Ties
By Scott Wheeler
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
October 04, 2004

http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=\SpecialReports\archive\200410\SPE20041004a.html

(CNSNews.com) - Iraqi intelligence documents, confiscated by U.S. forces and obtained by CNSNews.com, show numerous efforts by Saddam Hussein's regime to work with some of the world's most notorious terror organizations, including al Qaeda, to target Americans. They demonstrate that Saddam's government possessed mustard gas and anthrax, both considered weapons of mass destruction, in the summer of 2000, during the period in which United Nations weapons inspectors were not present in Iraq. And the papers show that Iraq trained dozens of terrorists inside its borders.

One of the Iraqi memos contains an order from Saddam for his intelligence service to support terrorist attacks against Americans in Somalia. The memo was written nine months before U.S. Army Rangers were ambushed in Mogadishu by forces loyal to a warlord with alleged ties to al Qaeda.

Other memos provide a list of terrorist groups with whom Iraq had relationships and considered available for terror operations against the United States.

Among the organizations mentioned are those affiliated with Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Ayman al-Zawahiri, two of the world's most wanted terrorists. Zarqawi is believed responsible for the kidnapping and beheading of several American civilians in Iraq and claimed responsibility for a series of deadly bombings in Iraq Sept. 30. Al-Zawahiri is the top lieutenant of al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden, allegedly helped plan the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist strikes on the U.S., and is believed to be the voice on an audio tape broadcast by Al-Jazeera television Oct. 1, calling for attacks on U.S. and British interests everywhere.

The source of the documents

A senior government official who is not a political appointee provided CNSNews.com with copies of the 42 pages of Iraqi Intelligence Service documents. The originals, some of which were hand-written and others typed, are in Arabic. CNSNews.com had the papers translated into English by two individuals separately and independent of each other.

There are no hand-writing samples to which the documents can be compared for forensic analysis and authentication. However, three other experts - a former weapons inspector with the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM), a retired CIA counter-terrorism official with vast experience dealing with Iraq, and a former advisor to then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton on Iraq - were asked to analyze the documents. All said they comport with the format, style and content of other Iraqi documents from that era known to be genuine.

Laurie Mylroie, who authored the book, "Study of Revenge: Saddam Hussein's Unfinished War against America," and advised Clinton on Iraq during the 1992 presidential campaign, told CNSNews.com that the papers represent "the most complete set of documents relating Iraq to terrorism, including Islamic terrorism" against the U.S.

Mylroie has long maintained that Iraq was a state sponsor of terrorism against the United States. The documents obtained by CNSNews.com , she said, include "correspondence back and forth between Saddam's office and Iraqi Mukhabarat (intelligence agency). They make sense. This is what one would think Saddam was doing at the time."

Bruce Tefft, a retired CIA official who specialized in counter-terrorism and had extensive experience dealing with Iraq, said that "based on available, unclassified and open source information, the details in these documents are accurate ..."

The former UNSCOM inspector zeroed in on the signatures on the documents and "the names of some of the people who sign off on these things.

"This is fairly typical of that time era. [The Iraqis] were meticulous record keepers," added the former U.N. official, who spoke with CNSNews.com on the condition of anonymity.

The senior government official, who furnished the documents to CNSNews.com, said the papers answer "whether or not Iraq was a state sponsor of Islamic terrorism against the United States. It also answers whether or not Iraq had an ongoing biological warfare project continuing through the period when the UNSCOM inspections ended."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,884 • Replies: 167
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
Never a doubt in my mind and hopefully, the Bushwackers will consider this seriously.

However, I doubt it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
CNSNews again?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
You'll never convince the left wingers on this board of anything concerning WMD's in Iraq. I think many of them would like to defend Saddam in court.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:34 am
Maybe you'd like to name some of those 'left-wingers', cj. Especially if you want to say vile things about them.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:38 am
cjhsa wrote:
You'll never convince the left wingers on this board of anything concerning WMD's in Iraq. I think many of them would like to defend Saddam in court.

It takes a certain minimal level of intelligence to experience shame. Democrats and leftists don't have that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:38 am
COMMIES, we all know that all left wingers are COMMIES. McCarthy was right all along. God bless you JOE!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
My, it's gotten rather rabid in here today, hasn't it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:40 am
Well, this is now 24 hours old - run here yesterday afternoon on CNN tv/videotext - still a breaking news, just because no-one confirmed it?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
dyslexia wrote:
COMMIES, we all know that all left wingers are COMMIES. McCarthy was right all along. God bless you JOE!

I never really understood why the left hated Joe McCarthy the way they do until I read that Joe was singlehandedly responsible for the defeat of 12 (twelve) democrat US senators. Assuming that's correct, the word "hero" doesn't do the guy justice.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
Well, I wouldn't say "single handed" he had Dick Nixon as his aide.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:50 am
Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do we believe everything the media says? Oh yea they are the truthtellers! Even if S.H. did have W.M.D. Bush has still made numerous errors in office. The presence or lack of WMD won't sway me. And I beleive SH was an evil man and should have been dealt with. The other issues (other than war) are equally important.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
gungasnake wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

I never really understood why the left hated Joe McCarthy the way they do until I read that Joe was singlehandedly responsible for the defeat of 12 (twelve) democrat US senators. Assuming that's correct, the word "hero" doesn't do the guy justice.

Wow.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
Quote:
gungasnake wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

I never really understood why the left hated Joe McCarthy the way they do until I read that Joe was single-handedly responsible for the defeat of 12 (twelve) democrat US senators. Assuming that's correct, the word "hero" doesn't do the guy justice.

Wow.

That just proves that a little knowledge or should I say little knowledge can be dangerous.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:15 am
Quote:

All that is really displayed here is how ignorant you are of American history, Gungasnake.

Just another one to Scroollllllllll on by from now on...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
Those documents claim Saddam had WMDs in the summer of 2000. Bush attacked Iraq in 2003 when we had UN inspectors searching for WMDs. That's the issue; not that Saddam had WMDs in 2003 when attacked. If Saddam had WMDs in 2003, they would have been found by now. Most people forget that the US and UK sold Saddam most of the equipment and WMDs, so why wouldn't Saddam have WMDs in 2000? The reason the US attacked in 2003 is Saddam HAD WMDs, but there's no proof of that. We'll never know, because Bush was planning to attack Iraq in 2001.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:35 am
"Iraqi intelligence documents, confiscated by U.S. forces and obtained by CNSNews.com, show numerous efforts by Saddam Hussein's regime to work with some of the world's most notorious terror organizations, including al Qaeda, to target Americans."

"The source of the documents"

A senior government official who is not a political appointee provided CNSNews.com with copies of the 42 pages of Iraqi Intelligence Service documents. The originals, some of which were hand-written and others typed, are in Arabic. CNSNews.com had the papers translated into English by two individuals separately and independent of each other.

"There are no hand-writing samples to which the documents can be compared for forensic analysis and authentication. However, three other experts - a former weapons inspector with the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM), a retired CIA counter-terrorism official with vast experience dealing with Iraq, and a former advisor to then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton on Iraq - were asked to analyze the documents. All said they comport with the format, style and content of other Iraqi documents from that era known to be genuine".

A senior government official... of what government and how senior?
No way to authenticate the documents.....then of what use are they?

Does the word forgeries come to" mind?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
This is the beauty of our news media. Forged documents from CBS, fake stories from Fox...it all makes it so much easier, because now you can discount any story that doesn't agree with your point of view.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
oh dear
no one told Rumsfeld which way this was going

Quote:
Results 1 - 30 of about 187 related articles

google link

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday he was misunderstood when he stated hours earlier that he knew of no "strong, hard evidence" linking Saddam Hussein's Iraq and al Qaeda.

Quote:
Rumsfeld, during a question-and-answer session before the Council on Foreign Relations, had been asked to explain the connection between Saddam and Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network -- one of the U.S. arguments for launching a war on Iraq.

He replied: "To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two."

reuters link
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
Funny--I heard Rumsfeld on the radio yesterday acknowledging that no link has been found between Iraq and Bin Laden's group. Yet the right continues to flog the idea that there was.

Perhaps Rumsfeld needs to be investigated for disloyalty. Where's McCarthy when we need him?
0 Replies