Are the presidential election results real? Or simply a simulation?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:35 pm
@maxdancona,
...3.30 AM, I want to go to bed in Europe but you murikans don't let me...sheeeesh !
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Clinton's chances aren't looking so good any more.

Strangely Iowa (which everyone thought she was likely to lose) might be the state that saves Clinton. She needs to hold Michigan and Wisconsin.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 09:46 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know why they haven't called Florida for Trump yet. He has a big enough lead and 99% of the vote has been counted.

Something strange is going on in Florida. But then again something strange is always going on in Florida.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 10:47 pm
@maxdancona,
This is sick.

Clinton has to win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. If she loses any of these, it is over.

Michigan seems likely for her. Wisconsin is slipping away. It looks like "President Trump" is going to happen.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It looks like Virginia and Michigan (both swing states) are going to Clinton. This is going to be tight.

No more tight. I'm nervous to see this:

Clinton 209
Trump 254
Foxnews' results
America is great peril.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:16 pm
@oristarA,
I don't think America is in great peril. We don't know what will happen in a Trump administration. America is a democracy and our government has built in checks and balances.

I am not happy. But this is not the end of the world.

It does look like Trump will be our next president.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:22 pm
@oristarA,
Most of the major news channels show Trump in the lead. They also show that the GOP is going to be in control of Congress. Lets hope they can slow Trump down enough to keep him in check. Who saw this coming?
McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:22 pm
@Baldimo,
/raises hand
oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:23 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

America is in great peril.

Sorry for the typo.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Not me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:29 pm
@Baldimo,
There is still a chance for a 269-269 tie. If Clinton wins Michigan, Trump wins Wisconsin, and they split the single-elector regions of Nebraska and Maine they get a tie.

The tiebreaker will be broken by the GOP led House. But it is likely that Hillary will still win the popular vote putting the House in the uncomfortable position of opposing the popular vote.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:29 pm
@McGentrix,
My state went to Hillary and I wasn't surprised. Although I was hoping Johnson would pull just a bit higher %.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:32 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't think America is in great peril. We don't know what will happen in a Trump administration. America is a democracy and our government has built in checks and balances.

I am not happy. But this is not the end of the world.

It does look like Trump will be our next president.

Of course America is a democracy with checks and balances.

But if the mentally sickening Trump be its leader, American credibility will be greatly weakened. I've seen how he argued with Clinton in presidential debates. He's emotional, not reasonable. He will wield the great power of the United States in an irrational way and the world will be less peaceful and less comfortable.
oristarA

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is still a chance for a 269-269 tie. If Clinton wins Michigan, Trump wins Wisconsin, and they split the single-elector regions of Nebraska and Maine they get a tie.

The tiebreaker will be broken by the GOP led House. But it is likely that Hillary will still win the popular vote putting the House in the uncomfortable position of opposing the popular vote.

Let us hope that.

I wish Hillary Clinton be the next President.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:41 pm
@oristarA,
I am not that worried. The United States is a mature democracy. Trump will be checked by the American, and by his own party.

It is very disappoining, and I do think it will be damaging. But it is not the end of the world.

I wanted Hillary to win, but that is the problem with a free democracy. The good guys don't always win.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:47 pm
OK guys, Trump won.
Just don't go on calling him "leader of the free world".
Krumple

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:16 am
@fbaezer,
The right man won.
oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:37 am
@Krumple,
fbaezer wrote:

OK guys, Trump won.
Just don't go on calling him "leader of the free world".

Krumple wrote:

The right man won.

Not yet.

Now Clinton: 215 and Trump 244 (CNN and USA Today data, Fox data are suspicious)

Still not decided:
Maine: 4
New Hampshire:5
Arizona:11
Alaska:3
Minnesota: 10
Wisconsin: 10
Michigan: 16
Pennsylvania: 20

Let the first four go to Trump and the last four go to Clinton. The latter will win with an extremely narrow margin: 271.
Krumple

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 12:39 am
@oristarA,
Trump is gunna take Arizona, Michigan and Penn. Probably Wisconsin as well.

update Trump took Penn.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2016 01:20 am
Quote:
The media didn’t want to believe Trump could win. So they looked the other way.

By Margaret Sullivan Media Columnist November 9 at 12:48 AM

To put it bluntly, the media missed the story. In the end, a huge number of American voters wanted something different. And although these voters shouted and screamed it, most journalists just weren’t listening. They didn’t get it.

They didn’t get that the huge, enthusiastic crowds at Donald Trump’s rallies would really translate into that many votes. They couldn’t believe that the America they knew could embrace someone who mocked a disabled man, bragged about sexually assaulting women, and spouted misogyny, racism and anti-Semitism.

It would be too horrible. So, therefore, according to some kind of magical thinking, it couldn’t happen.

(And at this writing, we don’t know for sure that it has happened; the election hadn’t yet been called.)

Journalists — college-educated, urban and, for the most part, liberal — are more likely than ever before to live and work in New York City and Washington, D.C., or on the West Coast. And although we touched down in the big red states for a few days, or interviewed some coal miners or unemployed autoworkers in the Rust Belt, we didn’t take them seriously. Or not seriously enough.

And Trump — who called journalists scum and corrupt — alienated us so much that we couldn’t see what was before our eyes. We just kept checking our favorite prognosticating sites, and feeling reassured, even though everyone knows that poll results are not votes.

After all, you never know who’ll show up to vote, especially when votes are being suppressed as never before. And even the most Clinton-leaning prognosticators allowed for some chance of a Trump win.
But no one seemed to believe it in their bones. We would have President Clinton, went the journalistic conventional wisdom, and although she would be flawed, she would be a known quantity. There was a kind of comfort there.

Make no mistake. This is an epic fail. And although eating crow is never appealing, we’ll be digesting feathers and beaks in the next weeks and months — and maybe years.

The strange thing, of course, is that the media helped to give Trump his chance.

Did journalists create Trump? Of course not — they don’t have that kind of power. But they helped him tremendously, with huge amounts of early, unfiltered exposure in the months leading up to the Republican primary season. With ridiculous emphasis put on every development about Hillary Clinton’s email practices, including the waffling of FBI Director James B. Comey.

I’m no fan of Peter Thiel, the billionaire who put Gawker out of business by bankrolling a lawsuit by Hulk Hogan, the professional wrestler. In fact, I find him appalling.
But when he spoke recently at the National Press Club, he said something that struck me as quite perceptive about Donald Trump.

“The media is always taking Trump literally. It never takes him seriously, but it always takes him literally,” Thiel said. Journalists wanted to know exactly how he would deport that many undocumented immigrants, or exactly how Trump would rid the world of ISIS. We wanted details.

But a lot of voters think the opposite way: They take Trump seriously but not literally.

They realize, Thiel said, that Trump doesn’t really plan to build a wall. “What they hear is, ‘We’re going to have a saner, more sensible immigration policy.’ ”

Trump, quite apparently, captured the anger that Americans were feeling about issues such as trade and immigration.

And although many journalists and many news organizations did stories about the frustration and disenfranchisement of these Americans, we did not take them seriously enough.

And although we journalists try to portray ourselves as cynical sometimes, or hard-bitten, we can also be idealistic, even naive.

We wanted to believe in a country where decency and civility still mattered, and where someone so crude, spiteful and intemperate could never be elected — because America was better than that.

I can fault journalists for a lot of things, but I can’t fault us for that.