Diversity or intergration by quota.

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:40 pm
The point, steissd, is that we will do that in the future after having minorities in positions where they can help dispell ignorant myths about themselves.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
Because for too long, women didn't have equal opportunity. The obstacles were many, overt or not. Women can be excellent scientists. Women are becoming scientists more and more. Women are out there are as role models and examples for girls who will then become scientists. Eventually, the playing field will be level, and judgements can be made solely on professional grounds. But while we've made a LOT of progress, and that's great, we ain't there yet.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:50 pm
You're going around in circles steissd. Affirmative action addresses the opportunity to achieve the professional skills to compete. The scales have been tipped for so long that to achieve any kind of balance, they had to be tipped the other way for awhile. I'm glad that sozobe wrote about the woman benefitting from affirmative action. The naysayers tend to forget that people of color are not the only ones to benefit.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:54 pm
littlek
Why rebuild schools. After all a school is just a building. If you want to learn the physical plant should make no difference. That is just an excuse. Maybe we should have public whippings Evil or Very Mad of parents of failing students to make them aware of the fact that they are the problem. Not the schools or the buildings. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:57 pm
littlek wrote:
tw - close and rebuild schools?!?! In this economic climate?

No, we should just let the kids currently being screwed out of an education suck it up, and we'll worry about fixing education when we can afford it. :wink:

Sorry, just had to let my sarcastic side out for a stroll. No offense intended, and I know that's not what you meant! Very Happy

I didn't mean that we should raze schools to the ground and build new buildings, I meant create a new school--new administration, new policies, new rules, new teachers; whatever is necessary--in the place of the old one. There's no reason we can't use the same physical plant.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
But, even that, tw, would cost big. Here in massachusetts they've cut the school funding 3 times since this summer. 3 times! And, Romney hasn't even told us what he wants to cut......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:59 pm
Basically, I'm jabbing a big pointy stick at the exasperating irony that is our education system.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:05 pm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:07 pm
there can't be a complete turn-over without disrupting countless student-years of learning.... There's got to be another way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:10 pm
On the other points, athletes salaries, funding for warfare, tax cuts for SUVs and wealthy families, prioritization of spending..... all very good points. We've had teachers in my family for generations. I want to be a teacher. Until recently, I thought trying to work within the system would kill me. Recently, MA put new regulations into effect and things started looking better to me, then the budget crunch... I can't go to school to get certified until the economy picks back up.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:20 pm
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:23 pm
Of course, I oppose benefits to athletes and alumni offspring as well. The only category of people that should get benefits are soldiers that fought for their country in the wars the USA took part in.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:32 pm
littlek wrote:
But, even that, tw, would cost big. Here in massachusetts they've cut the school funding 3 times since this summer. 3 times! And, Romney hasn't even told us what he wants to cut......

I suspect that there are economies to be had in improving failing schools, but I'm not ready to get into a detailed discussion of what they might be.

I will however help you with that stick! (poke-poke)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:34 pm
steissd
Things never change in Russia. My mother came from what was than Russian-Poland in 1906 and she told me the same story. Her sister was one of the few to get into the gymnasium, I think that is how you spell it.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:40 pm
And in spite of this, the Soviet Jews managed to promote themselves to the leading positions in fields of science, industry, mass media, medicine and music. Maybe, American minorities should try such a way?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:41 pm
By the way, as far as I know, there is no ethic discrimination in the modern Russia; both Yeltzin and Putin have never practiced the state-sponsoed anti-Semitism.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:42 pm
By the way, as far as I know, there is no ethic discrimination in the modern Russia; both Yeltzin and Putin have never practiced the state-sponsored anti-Semitism.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:42 pm
Steissd - Ok, good for the jews! I still think affirmative action is helpful.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:45 pm
Whom does it help to? Do you really think that Blacks or Indians are unable to compete with Whites on the equal grounds? Hmm, it sounds somewhat racist...
BTW, sorry for posting twice the same thing; something happened to the delete option, I failed to delete the excessive posting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 01:49 pm
The way it seems to work is to pat those people on the back who have excelled already. Those same people wh may be overlooked for less than ethical reasons. If an employer interviews a woman and thinks, "well she's good, but she might get preggers and leave for 3 months, but I'm low on my quota for women, so I guess I'll hire her." than I think it's a good thing.

Or if an employer is racist or if an employer is anti-semetic.....
0 Replies