CUBS WIN!!!!!

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 09:35 pm
@Region Philbis,
Bob Newhart, of course!

71 wearisome years. That's how long Bob Newhart has waited for his beloved Chicago Cubs to make it back to the World Series.

great 8 minute interview at the link

Quote:
The Cubs last made it to the World Series in 1945, when Newhart was just 16-years-old. He was part of the crowd at their National League pennant victory parade that year, something Newhart still fondly remembers.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 09:40 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's between the Michigan Ave and LSD bridges. That's where they release the green dye for St. Patrick's Day.

You have an LSD bridge? Apparently I know very little about Chicago.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 10:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Me neither, but I'm getting very hard to surprise.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 11:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It's even a double-decker.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 11:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Apparently, I know very little about LSD.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 12:51 am
@roger,
I get you Roger. My first thought went the same way. "They have a LSD BRIDGE?!" Shocked
roger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 12:57 am
@McGentrix,
The part that made me laugh Walter's being so literal.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:44 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Lake Shore Drive

roger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 02:49 am
@joefromchicago,
I scrambled the letters on my first look. I thought maybe it was so named in honor of the Church of Latter Day Saints.

I have been wrong before.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 03:28 am
Some curses have still not been lifted.

Quote:
"The All-Ireland final will beat any World Cup final or European final, trust me," says former Manchester United and Ireland football captain Roy Keane. "It's about local pride, that's what GAA is -- people representing their parishes and the streets where they grew up.

"Gaelic football in Ireland is different. They don't move clubs when they get fed up. They represent the people they're brought up with."
Ireland's national sport mixes the pace, power and skill-sets of football, rugby and basketball. Encounters are typically bruising affairs where fouls can be difficult to define. It is not a sport for the faint of heart.

The pitch is similar to a rugby union pitch, but larger, while the goals at each end are H-shaped with football-style goal nets extending behind them.

The scoring is relatively simple: three points for a goal and one if the ball, which is like a standard football only slightly smaller, is kicked or punched over the bar and between the posts.

Dublin confirmed their status as pre-match favourites with a narrow 18-17 victory, giving them a second successive All-Ireland triumph.

The game was on a knife-edge until the last minute. Dublin were a point ahead and Mayo had the chance to equalise from a free-kick, only for Cillian O'Connor to shoot wide.

Mayo, a county on the western seaboard, have not lifted the trophy since 1951. It was the first replay in 16 years and was worth more than three million euros to the GAA coffers.

In the first game, Mayo snatched a draw deep in additional time, but many analysts believed they deserved to have won, prompting much discussion of 'the curse' that supposedly hangs over the county.

The story goes that the last time Mayo won the trophy in 1951 they failed to pay their respects while passing a funeral as they went through the county on a victorious homecoming journey.

As a result, a priest apparently warned that Mayo would never win another All-Ireland until all of them had died. Two of that team are still alive.

http://en.as.com/en/2016/10/02/football/1475401952_942389.html
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2016 05:05 am
Le Monde calls the Cubs "perdants magnifiques" - magnificent losers?!?

Bild gets it right: "liebenswürdige Verlierer."
lmur

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 05:43 am
@joefromchicago,
The Chicago effect. Ireland beat New Zealand in Soldier's Field to win the World Series!
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-end-111-years-of-hurt-to-beat-the-all-blacks-1.2856477
0 Replies

Alan1991

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 01:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSku1xfvVMM

Why are people bumping there dick now?? I never want to watch baseball again.
0 Replies