Kerry wiped the floor with Bush

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:26 pm
I smell some funky cheese Bill but I ain't got time to rassle with ya. Got a gig to go to. Let me know if you do anything interesting this weekend.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
The one big difference between our efforts in both Afghanistan and Iraq is that unlike all others who have attempted to conquer them, we are not attempting to gain control over either country. We are attempting to give the Afganistani and Iraqi people control over their own countries.

That, in my never to be considered humble opinion, is what gives us a huge advantage for success. We have enemies in both places, yes, but we have many friends wanting us to succeed in both places as well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:53 pm
Many friends wants us to succeed? And exactly who might that be? The Brits? Did you know that the Italians are talking about removing their troops from Iraq? How many will that be of our "coalition of the willing?" Maybe you didn't hear Kerry during the debate; we already provide 90 percent of the manpower and 90 percent of the cost. With Italy's pull-out, does that increase to 94 percent?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
Larry434 wrote:
IMO, the French and the Germans will do what is in their national interests no matter who is in the WH.

Having said that though, if the President would reward them with some sort of benefits at our expense, they would certainly deem that in their national interest I would think.

yep, larry. i agree with you. in this way...

for a moment, let's put the soe on the other foot. g & f are working with us on afghanistan and other "war on terror" projects. the larger w.o.t. is in their national interest.

but, they did not veiw iraq as an "urgent" component of that w.o.t. so, no, we won't be sending troops this time. they have offered to be involved in post war, but were then shut out of the recon bids.

so after they feel they have been snubbed by the u.s. or bush or whatever, they have no reason to do anything unless somebody sweetens the pot. especially when they are being asked to forgive debt.

so no, it is not in their national interest.

the thing that's funny is, i have heard a lot of people say that they will put their national interests above those of the u.s. and then curse them.

let's let that sink in for a moment.

since we have also heard that the u.s. should never out anyone elses national interest above those of the u.s.; why would we even think that another soveriegn nation would do so.

don' make na dern sense. but i do believe one thing. none of them will ever do anything to help bush out of jam. and that, i think, is how they view it. helping bush, not the u.s.

imho
0 Replies

stoplearning

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:09 pm
I didnt like Kerrys comment about shutting down our Nuclear Weapons program. The U.S. needs to maintain technological superiority in military matters. He'll put us on the back burner while others progress. Bad idea.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:20 pm
C.I. writes:
Quote:
Many friends wants us to succeed? And exactly who might that be?

The Afghanis and the Iraqis C.I.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:35 pm
Fox, Read the following link, then tell me the Iraqis wants us to succeed. http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/11/14/us_stays_blind_to_iraqi_casualties?mode=PF
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
This is old news, but the increase in Iraqi casualties probably made things worse in the past 18 months.
Posted on Sat, Apr. 12, 2003

Baghdad Seethes With Anger Toward U.S.

NIKO PRICE

Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq - At first they cheered, smiled, offered hearty thumbs-ups to the U.S. soldiers newly in their midst. But across Iraq's lawless capital, that sentiment is evaporating as quickly as Saddam Hussein's government melted away.

Baghdad was bursting with anti-American feeling Saturday as residents saw their city being stripped by its own citizens while U.S. forces stood by, rarely intervening and in some cases even motioning treasure-laden men through checkpoints.

Some still agreed with the United States' assessment of itself as a liberator. In the middle-class Zayuna neighborhood, friendly people offered American Marines baths, bread and buoyant greetings - and asked for both autographs and help against looters.

But for other Iraqis, in dozens of interviews conducted across Baghdad, the assessment was drastically different: America as conqueror.

"The coalition forces are responsible. Where is the law?" said Safa Hussein Qasim, 44, a jeweler. "This is the promise of the United States to Iraq? This is democracy in Baghdad?"

To walk the streets Saturday was to wade through a crazy-quilt blend of disarray and sadness, rage and jubilation and self-hatred. Though available booty was running low, looting continued apace, as did citizen resistance to it. One man carried a purloined tuba up the street. Baghdadis fretted and argued: What would become of their country?

"Saddam Hussein's greatest crime is that he brought the American army to Iraq," said Gailan Ramiz, 62, helping a mob that was trying to tear down yet another Saddam statue at Shorji market, Baghdad's biggest.

It is stories like Hassan Shrawa's that are making them turn their backs on the uniformed Americans who swept in days ago.

Shrawa, 30, an engineer from Baghdad's Saddam City section, said he and his neighbors captured a Syrian mercenary and turned him over to U.S. troops Friday. As Shrawa tells it, the commander flatly refused to take custody of the man.

"What happens in the future?" Shrawa mused.

U.S. forces say they are doing the best they can under chaotic conditions - chaos, many Iraqis point out, that the United States itself created. Few praised Saddam. But at least, they said, he offered stability.

Baghdad lacks that right now. Water, electricity and gasoline are pipe dreams, and food is becoming almost as scarce.

Impromptu commerce is springing up on the sidewalks. One man made money stitching moccasins back together. At a nearby stall, another man dished out bowls of rice and beans from two steaming cauldrons.

On the streets of Zayuna, curious children milled around Saturday, trying out English phrases and asking for Marines' addresses. One presented Sgt. Paul Coughlin of Boston with a red flower that he nestled in his grenade pouch; another played marbles with medic Brent Cook, 23, of Houston.

Elsewhere, the Marines received less enthusiasm. In front of the Palestine Hotel, an area thick with U.S. Marines, several dozen Iraqis demanded a new government - now. "We want peace," they chanted in English as Marines looked on from fighting vehicles.

Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks, at U.S. Central Command, says reports of looting in Iraq are overblown - that many parts of the country are peaceful, and lawlessness "is already tapering off significantly."

U.S. officials insist the restoration of law and order will become a higher priority. The State Department said Friday it was sending 26 police and judicial officers to Iraq, the first component of a team that will eventually number about 1,200. And on Saturday, the U.S. military and the Iraqi police said they've agreed to joint patrols to restore order - "sooner rather than later," one Marine said.

For Iraqis on the ground, such promises mean little until they're delivered.

Residents, fearing looting would move on to private homes, set up neighborhood patrols to prevent it. One family put a girder across the street at the end of their block and stood by it with guns. They, too, denounced America.

"The United States breaks into the palaces and then threatens all the people who steal from them," said Efil Adnan, a 48-year-old oil engineer guarding the barricade with two of his sons and his brother. He held a pistol; the brother wielded a Kalashnikov.

"The United States is a liar," Adnan said. "They are not going to make anything better."

His son, Forkan Efil, 13, wore a T-shirt that said "Football" and also carried a pistol. He said all his friends have guns now.

"I don't like the Americans," the boy said, "but this pistol is for the thieves."

At the market, the dozens of men attempting to tear down the Saddam statue didn't have the oomph. The chain kept snapping, and finally they turned to Plan B - pouring gasoline over it and setting it ablaze.

But in doing so, they made sure one important point was known - just because they revel in Saddam's ouster doesn't mean they're waving American flags.

"The army of America is like Genghis Khan," Fouad Abdullah Ahmed, 49, snapped as U.S. tanks rumbled by without stopping. "America is not good and Saddam is not good. My people refused Saddam Hussein, and they will refuse the Americans."

One young man went even further.

"If this continues in Baghdad, we'll kill any American or British soldier," said Rahad Bahman Qasim, 30 and unemployed. For emphasis, he added this: "All of us - even the women."

---

EDITOR'S NOTE - Niko Price is correspondent-at-large for The Associated Press.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
Hello how are you? I was just reading your interesting forum, and wanted to add a little opinion. I was so excited about the presidential debate. I am one of the swing voters, and Kerry did pound Busch. Busch looked like a deer in headlights many times. He continued to repeat UH UH He changes positions, and Kerry defended himself well. He simply felt how I always have that Busch isn't handling this war right. Kerry is getting my first ever vote. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of empathy for some others in need (Sudan, Haiti) and that not enough emphasis is put on other very dangerous threats. We are overextended!! And how many National Guards are overseas on 2nd terms! What kind of Home security is that?!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 07:19 pm
c.i., are you really arguing that there is not a significant number of citizens in both Afghanistan and Iraq that would like to see a democracy? It may prove impossible to deliver but to suggest that none even want it is ridiculous. Laughing Fox made a valid point... deal with it.

Welcome to A2K bellavu! I think you are going to like it here.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:12 pm
JustWonders wrote:

So here we have one statement where he says what you claimed he "has always said" - namely, that the final say over the use of US military should be to the UN - and it's from 1970. Nineteen-seventy! I wasn't even born in 1970! That is thirty-four years ago!

And then we have another statement by Kerry that actually doesn't in any way say what you imply it says. In it, he doesn't anywhere say that "the disbursement of our military should be at the discretion of the U.N" - nothing like it. He praises working in "the multilateral cooperative tradition" - well, yeah, Wilson did, FDR did, many great American presidents did, it's a noble sentiment, and in itself implies nothing about the bugbear of 'yielding the final say over our military' to the UN.

And then there's the third quote you bring, claiming you "have done your homework on Mr. Kerry":

JustWonders wrote:
3. On September 30, 2004, he proclaimed in the debate "preemptive military action should be subject to a "global test."

Again, nothing in the actual quote by Kerry implies anything about ceding the final discretion to the use of the US military to the UN - in fact, he said the exact opposite, in the sentence directly before:

Quote:
KERRY: The president always has the right, and always has had the right, for preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold War. [..]

No president, through all of American history, has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt in any way necessary to protect the United States of America.

But if and when you do it, Jim, you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons.

Again, you bring no proof but for a thirty-four year old article for a claim about what "John Kerry has always said" -- when it is furthermore in direct contradiction to what he said in the debate, which was just posted in full on this very thread in response to your earlier iteration of the claim.

"John Kerry has always said" -- misleading and untruthful.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:23 pm
bellavu wrote:
... And how many National Guards are overseas on 2nd terms! What kind of Home security is that?!!

Currently, roughly 55, 000 National Guard/ActiveReserve troops are deployed. Of that total, some 9,000 are engaged in their second consecutive deployment. Approximately 2/3 of both categories are deployed elsewhere than in the US Homeland, Alaska, Hawaiii, Puerto Rico, Us Virgin Islands, and Guam included. That is the type of Home Security which has incidentally resulted in the liberation of some 50,000,000 people spread across two nations while providing for the absence of terrorist attack on the US homelamd since 9/11.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 08:52 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Interesting response Kuvasz. Rather Michael Moorish in that you use a good deal of leading facts to obfuscate the issue instead of addressing it directly. Interestingly, the main thrusts of my argument were almost completely sidestepped:

Gracious me, using facts on you, I apologize profusely for using facts upon which to base my arguments, but since you haven't yet, I thought it best to have at least one of us anchored in reality.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
1. Carter stuck his nose where it had no business being and helped broker an idiotic agreement that paid a murderer to not build nukes. This he did… reportedly just before Clinton was going to order a strike on the Yongbyon Nuclear Power Plant, that would have ended this crisis once and for all. Reportedly, Clinton ultimately decided to go with Carter's plan because he feared 100,000 people might die if NK decided to strike South Korea… (though, doing so would have been suicidal). The results of not ordering that strike is literally MILLIONS of North Koreans dead instead

Your posts have been devoid of cogent argument, with neither major nor minor themes presented. However, I have noticed your hard-on about Jimmy Carter in earlier posts so it is not a surprise here. But, Jimmy Carter was asked by the North Koreans to plead their case on the international scene and through his actions prevented the incineration of millions of North Koreans and tens of thousands of South Koreans (and most certainly my Air Force S.Sgt brother stationed on the 38th parallel). Yet for that, President Carter earns your contempt. And I ask, just what kind of human being are you to revel in such a path of mindless destruction when negotiation is available? You, and C-plus Augustus.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
2. Said agreement failed, completely, to do any such thing.Not only has Kim killed Millions, he went right ahead and developed Nuclear weapons anyway (as your own sources confirm), making the agreed framework 100% appeasement to a madman who delivered absolutely nothing in return. It did however provide an example: If you threaten the US with terrorist-like threats, we'll cave in to your demands. Not a very good policy. Rather unilateral if you ask me.

Now you are mixing issues. No one believes that Maximum Leader Kim is anything but a gangster who is in charge of the worst totalitarian state the world has ever seen. But he is the head of a government that had an active nuclear weapons program with enough conventional air missile weaponry to wreck havoc on the world's second largest economy before North Korea would be wiped out by an American attack.

Your timetable is also out of kilter. The CIA believed through indirect sources (aka… the Chinese) that the NKs had purified enough radioactive material to make 1-2 nukes prior to the crisis Carter helped cool down. In fact, what the Carter negotiations were able to do was slow down the production of nuclear materials after that time and until the NKs decided that begging our C-plus Augustus to come to the negotisting table would get them nowhere, they themselves implored Bush to come to the negotiating table all during 2001-03. It was then that the NKs decided that the only way to get the Americans to negotiate was to crank up their breeder reactors again.

Bush destroyed any semblance of cooperating with the NKs because of his ideologically poisoned position that anything that Clinton had been involved with was tainted goods.

Again, here we are now 40 months hence, the NKs have a dozen more nukes, and we are discussing the same things with them now we could have been talking about with them over three years ago.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
3. More voices standing together against Kim is better.Yes, Kuvasz, the more the merrier. This doesn't mean that we cede power to other countries; it means countries of a like mind will not be excluded at Kim's whim.

More voices, you say? As if the voice and power of the USA is insufficient? You, such a patriot on other threads dismiss American power as insufficient to protect us here when it suits your ideologically driven position. Could you stoop any lower than to denigrate US power as incapable of forcing our enemies to the negotiating table? Instead, according to your position, the enfeebled US must go around begging for the Chinese to help us with the North Koreans. Perhaps you consider negotiations over nuclear weapons a subject of merriment, however, no sane person does, cheese head or not.

Inclusion of other powers in negotiations with NK provides them, as well as the Chinese with potential tools to undermine clear US security objectives on the Korean Peninsula and elsewhere in East Asia. While North Korea and its nuclear capacities are a clear, present, and future danger to the security of the US, it is not the only one, nor can the objective of a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula alone be the overriding principle and linchpin of US foreign policy in the region.

It may well be your naive opinion that US, Japanese and Chinese security interests travel parallel lines, however, while they may do so, they will always be lines that never meet.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
4. Your assumption that China's inclusion in the talks automatically weakens our position, when dealing with them elsewhere, is pure fantasy.This is just pure fantasy, you know. I'm not even sure how to respond. China gains no advantage over the US merely by participating in talks. While they may, it is equally plausible that the US and China come to an even better understanding with each other.

If you do not know how to respond, perhaps you should not do so. Anyone who trusts the Chinese to look out for anyone but themselves is suspected of knowing nothing of East Asian history and current affairs. Nor should anyone pay attention to one who believes that the Chinese will not use any advantage to further their own hegemonic goals.

A fundamental principle of East Asian foreign policy is that while North Korea may be a problem for US national security over the next decade, the Chinese will be so for the next century.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Other items of interest from that Ad Hominem laden onslaught:

Since you don't participate much in discussions here; I'll assume your accusations of my Republican Partisanship and Bush machismo, etc. are honest mistakes. Those are common misconceptions about me. See my reaction to the first debate here.

Blah, blah, blah.

It ain't the meat, it's the motion, and counting posts as an effective way of determining value to discussions on A2K is as bogus as your claim that you are not steeped in Republican partisanship.

btw: I read A2K threads regularly, but do not respond to many since most of what is presented here has been hashed out long ago on Abuzz.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Yet you have a problem with the US paying the NKs not to build nukes that could incinerate tens of millions of Americans.
Yes, I do. Not only is paying terrorist's ransoms the worst precedent one could set…Which part of that policy failed did you not understand? Your own sources conclude Kim was building Nukes behind our backs before Bush even took office. It could be argued that we even helped finance them by reducing the fuel oil burden, if there was any evidence that Kim ever gave a rat's ass whether his people froze to death or not. Unfortunately, no such evidence exists. Damn it man; think it through.

As to failed US policy vis-à-vis North Korea: any reduction in the escalation, any deceleration in the manufacture of fissionable materials should be examined critically. Moreover, yes, that applies to Chinese and Japanese multi-lateral agreements, but it does not include the pre-emption and pre-eminence of bi-lateral agreements between the US and North Korea

But I am glad you enjoyed the thoroughness of my documentation of my position; a level, unfortunately I should note, that your own efforts never quite seem capable of rising to.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Oh, and take it easy on the Cheese Heads, will ya? I can handle your childish insults…hell, being retarded, many of them just fly right over my head anyway... but there is no reason to paint such a fine group with your ugly brush. Don't be so jealous. :wink:

I spent my summers as a youth in Fondulac near Lake Michigan and La Crosse on the Mississippi River and assume that qualifies me as a yogurt head.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:00 pm
panzade wrote:
nimh wrote:
I think one of the major problems your political system is grappling with, in this age, is that the news media are working on a perverted interpretation of objectivity.

I don't know nimh, I lived for many years in Europe and know first hand that the British press and the political parties have their own spin-meisters. I Imagine Holland is the same.

Well, Panzade, I have the sometimes exasperating advantage of being able to compare American, British, Dutch, Belgian and German news reporting.

The Brits are hors concours. The tabloids are shameful, and the broadsheets shamelessly politicized - not to mention how they in turn pander to the tabloid market by focusing to an extraordinary degree on crime and scandal.

But the case I laid out here directly refers to the increasing surprise with which I've observed US reporting - in comparison to what I'm used to here (or in Germany or Belgium). Yes, you have political spinmeisters in every country. But the differences in reporting conventions are very real.

I'm not saying everything is better here. For example, bias here abounds too, tending to be more anecdotal, playful - don't be surprised to find the news reporter visibly frowning or jokingly smiling when turning from Bush footage to the next topic - doesn't even need to say anything, we all know what he means. But what I was posting about - well, for one I wrote before that I am sincerely surprised about the everpresence of paid political spinners in US news reporting.

What does a standard American news report look like? The debate, speech or poll is "explicated", first, by a Republican "analyst", then a Democrat one, or vice versa. Then an "ordinary voter" or two is interviewed. If outside analysists are brought in, they're from the NEI or some Democratic counterpart - institutes with clear partisan affiliation.

We have few if any of that here. Actual politicians (parliamentarians, office holders) get their say, but otherwise the punditry is done almost entirely by "experts", whether academic or business or whatever, which very seldomly have a political affiliation. You don't get the Democratic/Republican "analysts" and such.

Some would say that just makes the bias harder to catch - most acedemics are leftwing, they might say, so you get the progressive spin without ever any party affiliation being explicited. But at least any spin anyone chooses to apply will be one of personal preference and thus reflect a wild variety of personal perspectives - which at least spares you the unending recitation of party-imposed talking points.

That way there can also be (and is) much less in the way of concerted party efforts to get a certain charge, allegation or insinuation out, not the way you see them hammered out relentlessly by the partisan pundits that are hired by US news media to balance each other out. We have 9 parties in parliament here - even if a party would try to get a certain line through, it'd be countered with 8 different other ones, rather than always the same 1 other one.

Another clear difference is the use of anonymous sources. Happens everywhere, of course. But never in the Dutch press have I seen the equivalent of the numbers of "unnamed Democratic campaign advisors" or "anonymous Pentagon officials" that turn up in US news stories. Anonymous government sources are used almost by standard practice as the basis for stories publishing claims about the other side, even if they can not be fact-checked by the journalist himself.

Again, a clear difference there, but I outlined it already above. When an "unnamed government [or, say, Democratic party] official" does come up, the average US news story's idea of neutrality appears to be to publish his claims, then quote the denial or retort from the other side. That's it. Would hardly happen here. Journalists fact-check themselves, and tell the reader what they find. There is no shyness about "judging" a story, perhaps because of fewer fears about legal or political (being denied access to politicians etc) retaliation. And though norms are shifting the past few years (for sure), traditionally, if they can't verify it, they won't publish it. Goes especially for the press.

It has to do also with a for us unimaginable shyness about approaching the government and President, and a ditto unaccessibility of ministers and President for journalists (see "political retaliation", above). The rare press conferences. The control over who gets to ask a question and who doesn't. The (resulting?) softball-character of the questions. All just makes us shake our heads in incomprehension.

Here, when the Prime Minister leaves his office at a time of turbulence, the journalists throng around him at the exit and while he walks, fire questions at him. He can choose not to answer, but he can't control whether they even get to ask them. Here, he does have his own little-watched (weekly?) TV appearance, but on the regular news gets grilled by TV interviewers none the less aggressively.

No, one can't just "imagine Holland is the same". There are eye-catching differences. Not if you compare both countries to Red China, obviously, but yeah, for democracies these media cultures are pretty far apart. Not everything may necessarily be better here, but different they are. Hence my recurrent impatience and bafflement.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
nimh wrote:
No, one can't just "imagine Holland is the same". There are eye-catching differences. Not if you compare both countries to Red China, obviously, but yeah, for democracies these media cultures are pretty far apart. Not everything may necessarily be better here, but different they are. Hence my recurrent impatience and bafflement.

I split off the media discussion into a thread of its own:

The trouble with your press
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
Kerry wiped the floor with Bush:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6159637/site/newsweek/

Looks like the polls agree with the actual subject of this thread.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 10:05 pm
http://www.buckfush.com/images/bush_Masterdebator.gif
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 11:29 pm
My little six year old nephew sees it all in terms of "Good Guys vs. Bad guys", which is an age appropriate perspective... for a six-year-old.

Or a "Pro" Wrestling fan.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 01:28 am
Thanks for that really good expertise - I fully agree.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2004 02:07 am
kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Interesting response Kuvasz. Rather Michael Moorish in that you use a good deal of leading facts to obfuscate the issue instead of addressing it directly. Interestingly, the main thrusts of my argument were almost completely sidestepped:

Gracious me, using facts on you, I apologize profusely for using facts upon which to base my arguments, but since you haven't yet, I thought it best to have at least one of us anchored in reality.
Cute, but I was referring to your facts about Rummy and Cheney etc, that have nothing to do with any discussion you're having with me.

kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
1. Carter stuck his nose where it had no business being and helped broker an idiotic agreement that paid a murderer to not build nukes. This he did… reportedly just before Clinton was going to order a strike on the Yongbyon Nuclear Power Plant, that would have ended this crisis once and for all. Reportedly, Clinton ultimately decided to go with Carter's plan because he feared 100,000 people might die if NK decided to strike South Korea… (though, doing so would have been suicidal). The results of not ordering that strike is literally MILLIONS of North Koreans dead instead

Your posts have been devoid of cogent argument, with neither major nor minor themes presented. However, I have noticed your hard-on about Jimmy Carter in earlier posts so it is not a surprise here. But, Jimmy Carter was asked by the North Koreans to plead their case on the international scene and through his actions prevented the incineration of millions of North Koreans and tens of thousands of South Koreans (and most certainly my Air Force S.Sgt brother stationed on the 38th parallel). Yet for that, President Carter earns your contempt. And I ask, just what kind of human being are you to revel in such a path of mindless destruction when negotiation is available? You, and C-plus Augustus.
While I can understand your bias on account of your brothers location, I can't let you get away with insulting me while posting such utter nonsense. Kuvasz, Kim is 10 times more dangerous now than he was when we started bribing him. Mindless was negotiating with the terrorist Kim and paying his ransom. Defending the failed attempt; is bordering on idiotic. Idea

Late 1993: NK threatens to withdraw from the non proliferation treaty after Hans Blix reports he can no longer provide "any meaningful assurances" that North Korea is not producing nuclear weapons.

Early 1994: Jimmy Carter on a "private" mission, without any authority whatsoever travels to NK and negotiates, again without any authority to do so, the so-called agreed framework. Clinton, without congressional approval, decides to go against the advice of his own cabinet (who said strike Yongbyon), and accepts the ridiculous blackmail arrangement: NK agrees to cease plutonium production in exchange for the U.S. agreeing to provide 500,000 metric tons of heavy fuel oil annually until construction of two light-water reactors is complete. However, Kim doesn't give up his Nuclear ambitions. Soon after he starts work on a purified Uranium program. (For those who don't know; both purified uranium and plutonium go in Nukes. They are not the same however. Plutonium requires a complicated implosion detonator that is extremely difficult to manufacture. Purified Uranium works with a gun-type system that any machinist could build. See Fat Man and Little Boy for more details) So, we are now paying a kings ransom to a murderous bastard who is now working on even more dangerous nuclear weapons than we bribed him not to work on in the first place. And Kuvasz here thinks that's a good idea. Rolling Eyes

kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
2. Said agreement failed, completely, to do any such thing.Not only has Kim killed Millions, he went right ahead and developed Nuclear weapons anyway (as your own sources confirm), making the agreed framework 100% appeasement to a madman who delivered absolutely nothing in return. It did however provide an example: If you threaten the US with terrorist-like threats, we'll cave in to your demands. Not a very good policy. Rather unilateral if you ask me.

Now you are mixing issues. No one believes that Maximum Leader Kim is anything but a gangster who is in charge of the worst totalitarian state the world has ever seen. But he is the head of a government that had an active nuclear weapons program with enough conventional air missile weaponry to wreck havoc on the world's second largest economy before North Korea would be wiped out by an American attack.
Nonsense. We could easily have vaporized every living thing in NK if we went nuts… Using conventional weapons, we could cripple his forces sufficiently that he'd be lucky to get a single shot off to Japan. Seoul was the concern… and it is debatable whether he'd have retaliated at all. If he didn't, his considerable conventional arsenal was still a credible threat against future aggression… and to attack was certain suicide. I don't think he would have.

kuvasz wrote:
Your timetable is also out of kilter. The CIA believed through indirect sources (aka… the Chinese) that the NKs had purified enough radioactive material to make 1-2 nukes prior to the crisis Carter helped cool down. In fact, what the Carter negotiations were able to do was slow down the production of nuclear materials after that time and until the NKs decided that begging our C-plus Augustus to come to the negotisting table would get them nowhere, they themselves implored Bush to come to the negotiating table all during 2001-03. It was then that the NKs decided that the only way to get the Americans to negotiate was to crank up their breeder reactors again.
First, it was plutonium they were working with prior to Carter's arrival. The rest is pure nonsense… NK was secretly working on Nukes before Bush stopped paying the ransom money… Hell it was widely reported that that's why he stopped paying it. And you think slowing his pace was a good thing? That wasn't the deal and never would, or should, have been. Your suggestion that multi-lateral talks are a bad thing is ridiculous. I've never heard anyone say that before. Rolling Eyes

kuvasz wrote:
Bush destroyed any semblance of cooperating with the NKs because of his ideologically poisoned position that anything that Clinton had been involved with was tainted goods.
Shocked Either you're kidding or this is some kind of paranoid delusion. Bush learned that we were paying bribe money, while Kim was building weapons anyway. Of course he stopped paying. Hello?

kuvasz wrote:
Again, here we are now 40 months hence, the NKs have a dozen more nukes, and we are discussing the same things with them now we could have been talking about with them over three years ago.
No, here we are a decade later, and they now have Nukes. Had Carter not interfered, or Clinton had the sense to listen to his cabinet, we wouldn't be facing a Nuclear Korea that is at least 10 times more dangerous than they were. Get it?

kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
3. More voices standing together against Kim is better.Yes, Kuvasz, the more the merrier. This doesn't mean that we cede power to other countries; it means countries of a like mind will not be excluded at Kim's whim.

More voices, you say? As if the voice and power of the USA is insufficient? You, such a patriot on other threads dismiss American power as insufficient to protect us here when it suits your ideologically driven position. Could you stoop any lower than to denigrate US power as incapable of forcing our enemies to the negotiating table? Instead, according to your position, the enfeebled US must go around begging for the Chinese to help us with the North Koreans. Perhaps you consider negotiations over nuclear weapons a subject of merriment, however, no sane person does, cheese head or not.
This one gets the award for most idiotic paragraph of the day. I'd like to see every country on earth follow us in everything. The more that do, the stronger we are (not just militarily Idea ) the better off we are. This babbling about denigration and begging and whatnot is 100% a figment of your imagination. Please refrain from attributing your idiotic fantasies to me.

kuvasz wrote:
Inclusion of other powers in negotiations with NK provides them, as well as the Chinese with potential tools to undermine clear US security objectives on the Korean Peninsula and elsewhere in East Asia.
Dude, snap out of it. It does no such thing.

kuvasz wrote:
While North Korea and its nuclear capacities are a clear, present, and future danger to the security of the US, it is not the only one, nor can the objective of a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula alone be the overriding principle and linchpin of US foreign policy in the region.
This is true, but largely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

kuvasz wrote:
It may well be your naive opinion that US, Japanese and Chinese security interests travel parallel lines, however, while they may do so, they will always be lines that never meet.
Again, where is the dispute? Other than provide a space for yet another Ad Hominem what does this sentence say to you? Rolling Eyes

kuvasz wrote:
If you do not know how to respond, perhaps you should not do so. Anyone who trusts the Chinese to look out for anyone but themselves is suspected of knowing nothing of East Asian history and current affairs. Nor should anyone pay attention to one who believes that the Chinese will not use any advantage to further their own hegemonic goals.
Inviting the Chinese to talks is hardly the same thing as trusting them to look out for us. Your paranoia is showing again. That second sentence was silly. The third was completely idiotic. Really. Look for yourself. Idea

kuvasz wrote:
A fundamental principle of East Asian foreign policy is that while North Korea may be a problem for US national security over the next decade, the Chinese will be so for the next century.
That's a reasonable observation. What's your point?

kuvasz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Other items of interest from that Ad Hominem laden onslaught:

Since you don't participate much in discussions here; I'll assume your accusations of my Republican Partisanship and Bush machismo, etc. are honest mistakes. Those are common misconceptions about me. See my reaction to the first debate here.

Blah, blah, blah.

It ain't the meat, it's the motion, and counting posts as an effective way of determining value to discussions on A2K is as bogus as your claim that you are not steeped in Republican partisanship.
Laughing I did no such thing. Your paranoia is showing again. I simply thought you had made an honest mistake… but see now you are being deliberately obtuse. Check out my voting record here.

kuvasz wrote:
btw: I read A2K threads regularly, but do not respond to many since most of what is presented here has been hashed out long ago on Abuzz.
This is the first such site I've joined and I'm starting to see what you mean already.

kuvasz wrote:
But I am glad you enjoyed the thoroughness of my documentation of my position; a level, unfortunately I should note, that your own efforts never quite seem capable of rising to.
After this post, I'm not sure why I'm responding at all or that I will again. Half of what you type either doesn't make sense or has nothing to do with the discussion. You seem like a friendly enough fellow, but your insults are getting old and you're arguing against easily retrievable facts. Tone down the rhetoric a little and we'll get along just fine.

kuvasz wrote:
I spent my summers as a youth in Fondulac near Lake Michigan and La Crosse on the Mississippi River and assume that qualifies me as a yogurt head.
Ah, I see. Tornado Alley and the one place on the Mighty Mississippi one might have trouble swimming up stream. Summers eh? Would that mean you grew up a Flatlander?
0 Replies