Kerry wiped the floor with Bush

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
No it doesn't as it doesn't reference Bush at all other than when referenced by Kerry. But can you honestly say Kerry has been consistent? Or is likely to actually have a position he;ll stick to now?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
I can't get the damn thing to play....lol

My computer lists to port.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:00 pm
Oh darn....not either on Media player or Real player? I couldn't get it to work on Real player either though.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
I know why you're concerned Foxy...Kerry makes me nervous too...just not as much as Bush does...sad
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
No it doesn't as it doesn't reference Bush at all other than when referenced by Kerry. But can you honestly say Kerry has been consistent? Or is likely to actually have a position he;ll stick to now?

I notice how you once again attack Kerry, and ignore the specific statements that Bush said in the debate. Once again, you show that it's easier to attack specifics than to defend incompetence.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:02 pm
Interesting response Kuvasz. Rather Michael Moorish in that you use a good deal of leading facts to obfuscate the issue instead of addressing it directly. Interestingly, the main thrusts of my argument were almost completely sidestepped:
1. Carter stuck his nose where it had no business being and helped broker an idiotic agreement that paid a murderer to not build nukes. This he did… reportedly just before Clinton was going to order a strike on the Yongbyon Nuclear Power Plant, that would have ended this crisis once and for all. Reportedly, Clinton ultimately decided to go with Carter's plan because he feared 100,000 people might die if NK decided to strike South Korea… (though, doing so would have been suicidal). The results of not ordering that strike is literally MILLIONS of North Koreans dead instead

2. Said agreement failed, completely, to do any such thing.Not only has Kim killed Millions, he went right ahead and developed Nuclear weapons anyway (as your own sources confirm), making the agreed framework 100% appeasement to a madman who delivered absolutely nothing in return. It did however provide an example: If you threaten the US with terrorist-like threats, we'll cave in to your demands. Not a very good policy. Rather unilateral if you ask me.

3. More voices standing together against Kim is better.Yes, Kuvasz, the more the merrier. This doesn't mean that we cede power to other countries; it means countries of a like mind will not be excluded at Kim's whim.

4. Your assumption that China's inclusion in the talks automatically weakens our position, when dealing with them elsewhere, is pure fantasy.This is just pure fantasy, you know. I'm not even sure how to respond. China gains no advantage over the US merely by participating in talks. While they may, it is equally plausible that the US and China come to an even better understanding with each other.

Other items of interest from that Ad Hominem laden onslaught:

Since you don't participate much in discussions here; I'll assume your accusations of my Republican Partisanship and Bush machismo, etc. are honest mistakes. Those are common misconceptions about me. See my reaction to the first debate here.

kuvasz wrote:
Yet you have a problem with the US paying the NKs not to build nukes that could incinerate tens of millions of Americans.
Yes, I do. Not only is paying terrorist's ransoms the worst precedent one could set…Which part of that policy failed did you not understand? Your own sources conclude Kim was building Nukes behind our backs before Bush even took office. It could be argued that we even helped finance them by reducing the fuel oil burden, if there was any evidence that Kim ever gave a rat's ass whether his people froze to death or not. Unfortunately, no such evidence exists. Damn it man; think it through.

Oh, and take it easy on the Cheese Heads, will ya? I can handle your childish insults…hell, being retarded, many of them just fly right over my head anyway... but there is no reason to paint such a fine group with your ugly brush. Don't be so jealous. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
Bush may do the wrong thing, but I trust him to do what he believes is right. Every time. It only took those mass graves in Iraq and the testimony of many honest Iraqis to convice me that whatever the reasons were that took us to Iraq, what we are doing there is a good thing for us, for them, for everybody other than the terrorists.

I put the war on terrorism as the No. 1 priority of the United States right now--not the ONLY priority mind you, but the most important one--and I trust Bush to stay on track with that. I trust Kerry not at all.

I have too many friends and relatives in the military to trust their welfare and safety to a John Kerry who in so many ways has proved he loathes the military despite what he says as campaign rhetoric now.

I believe in lower taxes and watch history as proof that when tax cuts are done appropriately, government revenues rise. Bush believes in lower taxes for everybody. Kerry has shown time and again he doesn't approve of lower taxes for much of anybody.

I believe the best role of the Federal government is to empower the state and local governments and individuals to get the jobs done that need to be done, and that a one-size-fits-all approach by the Federal government is often not the best way to do something. George Bush has demonstrated that he thinks this way too. John Kerry has demonstrated that he does not.

I wish Bush was a better speaker, a better communicator, a little quicker on his feet when the arrows are coming at him. But I trust him to tell the truth as much as he can without jeopardizing national security. I trust him to be a leader and a good and decent man even when that costs him political capital. He has not disappointment me there, and, even though I disagree with him on some issues, that's why I will vote for him again.

John Kerry has not demonstrated leadership in any area or time of his life and has proved beyond any doubt that he says what is politically expedient to whatever group he's addressing. I can't believe his conviction about much of anything other than the self-promotin of John Kerry..
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Oh, and take it easy on the Cheese Heads, will ya? I can handle your childish insults…hell, being retarded, many of them just fly right over my head anyway... but there is no reason to paint such a fine group with your ugly brush. Don't be so jealous. :wink:

You mean...

...it is actually possible to insult a cheesehead???

Holy Toledo...!

Anyway...my beloved Jints play the Pack tomorrow...and I am looking for an upset!

(Actually have 25 of the remaining 100 in my suicide pool on the pack...and I would love to see them outta there. I've got the Eagles.

For me, rooting for the Eagles is about as enjoyable as having to root for Dumbya Bush. But the suicide pool is worth lots of bucks.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
what are jints?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
Foxy, we're just tilling infertile soil here...we've been over this. I respect your strong belief in your leader. I disagree that the war on terrorism has been handled correctly....that is what our election is coming down to.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

You mean...

...it is actually possible to insult a cheesehead???
No, not really... we're a pretty durable group. Just trying to lighten things up a bit. Cool

Frank Apisa wrote:
Anyway...my beloved Jints play the Pack tomorrow...and I am looking for an upset!

(Actually have 25 of the remaining 100 in my suicide pool on the pack...and I would love to see them outta there. I've got the Eagles.

For me, rooting for the Eagles is about as enjoyable as having to root for Dumbya Bush. But the suicide pool is worth lots of bucks.
Regrettably, I must report, you may be in luck. Flanagan, our Pro-bowl center, is out for the season... and without him it will be much easier to get to Brett... which in turn may result in an even more conservative game plan, which of course, frequently proves disastrous. Sad
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:32 pm
Just answering Kicky's assertion that we Bush-supporters give no reason to support him Panzade. Serious mistakes have been made in the war on terror--I've been reading everything I can get my hands on which 1) gives me encouragement that our leaders are trying to get it right and 2) gives me confidence they are learning from their mistakes. The one thing that is most hampering successes is the court of public opinion--can't blow up a mosque full of terrorists because it's just too politically incorrect for instance. Being a child of the WWII generation, there were far more defeats, miscalculations, and setbacks than victories for the allies, but through a unified front and strength of will, the victories became decisive.

You've probably noticed that my personal campaign is an attempt to encourage a mentality of 'let's win this thing' rather than constantly dwelling on the set backs.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Bush may do the wrong thing, but I trust him to do what he believes is right. Every time.

I agree completely. And that is the exact reason that I am opposed to him.

A person who does what he believes is right, when he obviously doesn't have the mental capacity to disseminate information to come to a logical course of action, is not fit to be the president.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Just answering Kicky's assertion that we Bush-supporters give no reason to support him Panzade. Serious mistakes have been made in the war on terror--I've been reading everything I can get my hands on which 1) gives me encouragement that our leaders are trying to get it right and 2) gives me confidence they are learning from their mistakes. The one thing that is most hampering successes is the court of public opinion--can't blow up a mosque full of terrorists because it's just too politically incorrect for instance. Being a child of the WWII generation, there were far more defeats, miscalculations, and setbacks than victories for the allies, but through a unified front and strength of will, the victories became decisive.

You've probably noticed that my personal campaign is an attempt to encourage a mentality of 'let's win this thing' rather than constantly dwelling on the set backs.

yeah, that's what we need right now. More cheerleaders. Let's not dwell on the fact that iraq is getting worse everyday, but instead, cheer Bush because he says he's not sending "mixed messages".
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
Yeah I noticed...seems to me the White House has been micro managing Afghanistan and Iraq...can't they leave it to the brass?...I mean come on...announce you're clearing out Samarra and then wait 2 months for the insurgents to set up their defense...our boys are getting sent home in body bags by criminal stupidity.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 02:54 pm
nimh wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
So you know that Kerry has always said he thinks the disbursement of our military should be at the discretion of the U.N., right?

JustWonders wrote:
Panzade - Years ago the Harvard Crimson quoted Kerry as saying he thought the disbursement of the U.S. military should be at the discretion of the United Nations. In the recent debate he said something about having to pass a "global test" for preemptive action.

Yep. Something about that. In fact, this was what he said:

Quote:
KERRY: The president always has the right, and always has had the right, for preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold War. [..]

No president, through all of American history, has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt in any way necessary to protect the United States of America.

But if and when you do it, Jim, you have to do it in a way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons.

The "global test" does not include UN approval. There is no mention of it being at the UN's discretion for America to use its military. In fact, he explicitly said, just the sentence before, that would not be the case: "nor would I [cede] the right to preempt in any way necessary". The "global test" he referred to on justifying such a preemption is about credibility, not about approval.

In short, you're lying, up there in that first quote.

And to nimh - you're one of the few on these forums I'd have ever thought would call someone a liar. As I stated to panzade earlier (with the source) Kerry did indeed say he thinks we should leave disbursement of our troops up to the UN. He has given me no reason to think he's changed his mind over the years.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
Quote:
Published on Wednesday, February 11, 2004
Old Crimson Interview Reveals A More Radical John Kerry
The Crimson reported Kerry called for U.N. control of troops in 1970

By ZACHARY M. SEWARD
Crimson Staff Writer

Ten months after returning home from Vietnam, a young John Kerry strolled into the offices of The Harvard Crimson on Feb. 13, 1970 as an obscure underdog in the Democratic Congressional primary.
The decorated veteran, honorably discharged after a tour of duty in the Mekong Delta, spoke in fierce terms during his daylong interview with The Crimson's Samuel Z. Goldhaber '72.

But almost 34 years later, Kerry's remarks on American military and intelligence operations vastly diverge from opinions expressed by the present-day Sen. John F. Kerry, D.-Mass., the leading candidate in the Democratic primary for president.

"I'm an internationalist," Kerry told The Crimson in 1970. "I'd like to see our troops dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations."

Kerry said he wanted "to almost eliminate CIA activity. The CIA is fighting its own war in Laos and nobody seems to care."

The Kerry campaign, celebrating primary victories in Virginia and Tennessee last night, declined to comment on the senator's remarks.

As a candidate for president, Kerry has said he supports the autonomy of the U.S. military and has never called for a scale-back of CIA operations.

Former Secretary of Labor Robert B. Reich defended Kerry's 1970 statements as appropriate for their time.

"In the context of the Vietnam War, those comments are completely understandable," said Reich, who has endorsed Kerry.

But a spokesperson for President Bush's reelection campaign said Kerry's 1970 remarks signaled the senator's weakness on defense.

"President Bush will never cede the best interests of the national security of the American people to anybody but the president of the United States, along with the Congress," said the spokesperson, Kevin A. Madden.

The increasingly likely matchup between Kerry and Bush has already prompted comparisons of the senator's record in Vietnam and the president's domestic service in the National Guard. And the two Yale graduates, both members of the secret society Skull and Bones, appeared set to square off in future months under the specter of the ongoing war in Iraq.

Goldhaber, whose first-person profile of Kerry ran in The Crimson Feb. 18, 1970, said yesterday he recalled the candidate as an emerging outsider whose campaign focused squarely on his opposition to the Vietnam War.

"We lived, dreamed and breathed Vietnam," Goldhaber said.

Still, Adam Clymer '58, political director of the National Annenberg Election Survey at the University of Pennsylvania, said Kerry's comments would likely find their way into Bush campaign materials.

"If I were them, I'd use this," said Clymer, a former Crimson president. "I'd use it in direct mail."

Kerry's conservative opponents have already begun painting the Massachusetts senator and former deputy governor as an elite, New England liberal, and his 21-year voting record in the Senate may provide considerable ammunition.

Madden said the Bush campaign would highlight Kerry's Senate votes should he win the Democratic nomination.

And Reich forecasted G.O.P. research would extend far beyond Capitol Hill.

"If Kerry is the nominee, Republicans will try and search back into everything he ever said on every issue," Reich predicted.

Kerry's 1970 remarks to Goldhaber portray a fiery, novice politician inspired by his opposition to the Vietnam War.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
nimh wrote:
[ quote]
I think one of the major problems your political system is grappling with, in this age, is that the news media are working on a perverted interpretation of objectivity. >

I don't know nimh, I lived for many years in Europe and know first hand that the British press and the political parties have their own spin-meisters. I Imagine Holland is the same. It's just more imperative when the most powerful nation on earth is trying to decide in which direction it will go.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 03:04 pm
Quote:

Rose
Colored
Glasses

Don't give ya an accurate view of the world, yaknow.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies