Polyamory - Right or Wrong?

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 09:43 am
I am currently writing an essay on the ethical principles of polyamory. Is it right or wrong, and why? Should it be embraced by society? Or should we take steps necessary to educate people on the ethical and psychological effects? --- Aside from the gut feeling that I have to support my thesis that polyamory is bad for the soul, unsatisfactory, and unsustainable, there is little research to support it. However, when discussed, majority of people would agree that it is not good, won't last, and wouldn't be satisfying. How do you all feel? And why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,069 • Replies: 35

tictacti

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 12:43 pm
@wilkinsonsarah,
In my personal opinion, it's fine. It's naturally for many different animal species. (Although monogamy has been routine in humans.) I've been in so many relationships where men would stray, cheat, have a wandering eye. At some point, I came to the conclusion that I'd be perfectly okay with a polyamorous relationship so long that protection is used and honesty is practiced. I've never ended up doing this, because shockingly, men think I'm much to promiscuous and open-minded when I present this idea to them. I've not met one man that will say he'd be okay with it. It's not something I would personally take part in, but it's better than being lied to.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 02:18 am
@wilkinsonsarah,
There's little evidence to support the existence of the soul for that matter. As long as they're not hurting anyone else people should be able to do what they want.

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-most-of-the-trouble-in-the-world-has-been-caused-by-folks-who-can-t-mind-their-own-business-william-s-burroughs-28013.jpg
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:10 am
@wilkinsonsarah,
IMO if you love more than one person yu don't love none of them.
You are just searching. When you will love one to death - you will know there is no other one. This is why I am always stressing out that a lot of people simply don't know love from lust from desperation to find somebody. Anybody but to have some.
XxSiCxX

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:23 am
@wilkinsonsarah,
People are people. As long as those that are engaging in it are all informed consenting adults leave them be. You, me, or anyone else has no "right" to say it's wrong. Everyone is free to define what love, happiness, and a relationship is for them. You or I don't have to like it. As long as those people are happy with it and make it work for them, it's not any place for me to stick my nose.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 08:50 am
@Eliusa,
It is just your opinion, and considering how much you like to bore everyone else with your own unfulfilling sex life you've got no business telling other people how to live their lives.
Eliusa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:58 am
@izzythepush,
I wish you weren't talking to me but apparently I am irresistBle
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
@Eliusa,
That must be why I've not commented on any of the threads you've started since you got back.
Eliusa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:08 pm
@izzythepush,
So you had could not keep NOT commenting? Lol
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:34 pm
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:

So you had could not keep NOT commenting?

I've never been accused of that before.
Eliusa

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 04:30 pm
@izzythepush,
There is first time for everything!

And Have you heard yourself what you written?

I am surprised at men who are come and stuck in women love
threads like don't you have some frinds in political boards or
anywhere? Its pathetic how you are arguing with women about
Our love life!
I can't imagine my man sits in forum and arguing with random
strangers women whether they should fk or not to fk!
I would never have sex with one who does. Yuck!
hingehead

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 06:49 pm
@wilkinsonsarah,
Our national broadcaster has been doing a series of shows where minority groups get asked anonymous questions (on cards) about what their experience as that minority is like.

It's surprisingly entertaining (the ones I've watched anyway).

This is the link to the one on Polyamory (I haven't watched it).
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/you-cant-ask-that/LE1517H005S00

It may not work for you (geoblocking) if not maybe a hunt on youtube will get you a viewable copy.

There are links to others in the series that may interest other readers. I found ex-prisoners, sex workers, fat, muslims and the short statured an intriguing combination of enlightening and saddening.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 12:08 am
@Eliusa,
There's something wrong with you. This is not a "women love thread" it's a discussion of a polyamory. I don't care who, what, or how you shag, I'd just rather you kept the details to yourself.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 12:21 am
@hingehead,
Have you got this going round your head or was Australia mercifully untouched by Balamory?

0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 04:48 am
@izzythepush,
I rather share details and apparently you peeling uour eyes for it.
I don't know why I don't follow you?
Because I don't care? Right!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 05:55 am
@Eliusa,
I'll get over it.
Eliusa

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 02:34 pm
@izzythepush,
You think?

I am sure you will find someone else to read and badger instead of doing something useful with your happy man life!
No, seriously! Why do you spend so much time in forums?
I found it ridiculous. And not your gender/age appropriate.
We girls can be stupid. But you are a MAN! Are you?
ClaireEllison

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 03:32 pm
@Eliusa,
You Must Have a Lot of Sex’

Just like monogamous people, polyamorous people have varying levels of interest in sex.

Some are on the asexual spectrum. Some have illnesses or disabilities that impact their desire or ability to have sex (or their partners do). Some choose to implement rules that limit what they can do sexually with some of their partners. Some are single.

The fact that someone is polyamorous says nothing about how much or what types of sex they have.
vikorr

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 03:21 pm
@wilkinsonsarah,
Quote:
Is it right or wrong, and why?

In terms of ethics. You may wish to pin down what ethics they are talking about - personal ethics, or social ethics. In social ethics, it doesn't have to be the whole of societies ethics, but the group they belong to's ethics (like a church doesn't have exactly the same ethics as the rest of society).

In terms of laws, you may wish to discuss how they government doesn't intrude into all aspects of life, for a reason - showing its legality.

You could discuss how morals came into existence and why (ie. why the monogamous marriage) - to use as a comparison later.

You could discuss the spread of disease. The percentage practice of safe sex etc.

Also you can discuss the difference between love & lust. And the acceptability (or not) of just plain lust.

You could also discuss the types of abuse that people engaged in it may attract (guys being admired, girls being called sluts), and the affect it has on them.

And from one side, you may wish to discuss the concept of knowledge, and consent. You can reference this back to your discussion on laws, and ethics.

From the other side you may wish to discuss the emotional issues that often arise (consenting because of lust, but in love, and the issues that arise. Or when one partner starts developing deeper feelings while the other doesn't, etc)

In the end, we humans are emotional creatures, so this last part can never be underestimated in its affect on our lives.

You are of course, discussing a subjective topic.

Eliusa

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2016 04:44 pm
@ClaireEllison,
I have years of waiting and very far and few in between due to a marital
status of both involved.
My husband prefers to have drink to taking pills. He is telling me about
Love daily! However that's all talk. He is cozy! And comfy for 20 years.
10 of which he had resorted to TV, home made daily dinner and drinks!

My love subject is having basically the same thing at home.

So at one point I had stopped feeling sorry for my husband and said ok!