Cat Stevens Treated Like A Terrorist By US Government

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:02 am
The paranoia of the Bush administration has reached Nixon proportions with singer Cat Stevens being treated like a terrorist and denied entry into the USA.
Quote:
Passenger Cat Stevens Gets Plane Diverted

Wednesday September 22, 2004

By LESLIE MILLER

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - A London-to-Washington flight was diverted to Maine when it was discovered that passenger Yusuf Islam - formerly known as singer Cat Stevens - was on a government watch list and barred from entering the country.

United Airlines Flight 919 was en route to Dulles International Airport when the match was made Tuesday between a passenger and a name on the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Dennis Murphy identified the passenger as Islam. ``He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds,'' Murphy said.

He said Islam would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.

Officials had no details about why the peace activist might be considered a risk to the United States. Islam had visited New York in May for a charity event and to promote a DVD of his 1976 MajiKat tour.

One official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. The Transportation Security Administration then was contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, that official said.

Melendez said Islam was questioned by FBI and Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.

Another federal official, who is in law enforcement and spoke anonymously because of agency policy, said that after the interview, Customs officials decided to deny Islam entry into the United States.

Flight 919 continued on to Dulles after Islam was removed from the flight.

Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including ``Wild World'' and ``Morning Has Broken.'' Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his '70s hit ``Peace Train,'' to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion, founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.

Islam drew some negative attention in the late 1980s when he supported the Ayatollah Khomeini's death sentence against Salman Rushdie, author of ``The Satanic Verses.'' Recently, though, Islam has criticized terrorist acts, including the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the school seizure in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.

In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, ``Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.''

After the Sept. 11 attacks, Islam issued a statement saying: ``No right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action: The Quran equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity.''
Source

links: Cat Stevens - homepage

Cat Stevens - Lyrics etc
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,551 • Replies: 56
No top replies

John Kerry

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:16 am
Who is Cat Stevens??????
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:12 am
Walter:

More for the COINTELPRO files.

PS. I've heard a great cover of "Peace Train" by Natlie Merchant.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:35 am
Quote:
The paranoia of the Bush administration has reached Nixon proportions with singer Cat Stevens being treated like a terrorist and denied entry into the USA.

Walter- Back off a minute. Nixon proportions? We have no idea what Cat Stevens has been up to since he converted to Islam many years ago. He is NOT the same guy that sang "Peace Train" to us delighted youngsters.

Quote:
Islam drew some negative attention in the late 1980s when he supported the Ayatollah Khomeini's death sentence against Salman Rushdie, author of ``The Satanic Verses.''

Right now, we have no idea what it is that the US government perceived as a threat. There has to be a reason that he is on the "watch list". Now we don't know whether the reason is justified or not, but I would not rush to judgement against the US government, unless I knew all the facts.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:43 am
I started a thread on this last night Walter.....rampant paranoia in my estimation........despite the fact that he is an Islamic convert...he has preached peace and denounced terror for years...of course so has our own president.....difference bveing Cat Stevens hasn't started any wars "pre emptively"

John Kerry, you are obviously too young to remember Cat Stevens but judging from the general tone of your posts I have always assumed you to be quite young......he was a folk type mega star in the late sixties and early seventies who renounced his fame and fortune when he converted to Islam....he has, since 1983, run a school...not a terrorist school, a school...and has always stood for peace, unless as I already said he works for war behind the scenes like our administration.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:48 am
If, as I just saw on my thread about this subject it is true that he supported the assassination of Salmon Rushdie it would lower my opinion of him and I would then be willing to listen to another rational side of the argument, but I find it hard to believe he would support terrorism......

Phoenix keep in mind that John Lennon was on the watch list too, and they tried to deport him.........government paranoia and hysteria at it's finest...during another republican administration as I recall......
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:50 am
Bear: Having just completed a trip to Eastern Europe, flying into Frankfurt and out of Prague, I was struck by the high level of security at the airports. The lines were long and the carry on baggage searches comprehensive. Had my little pipe bowl reamer confiscated when I forgot to put in checked luggage. Had my pipe lighter and fuel removed from my checked luggage as well.

That is all a good thing, IMO.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:51 am
can't disagree with you there, but I think that's a pretty big jump from diverting a plane and turning away this guy......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:53 am
Quote:
Phoenix keep in mind that John Lennon was on the watch list too, and they tried to deport him.........government paranoia and hysteria at it's finest...during another republican administration as I recall......

Bi-It may or may not be true that the government is overreacting. All that I am saying is that we do not know all the facts, so a rush to judgment is premature!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:55 am
I'll give you that......the sad lesson here is that 5 years ago I, and many others would trust their decision without much question...oh how I long for the days when I trusted my elected officials at least a litttle.......
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:55 am
I think Pheonix has a point. I can just imagine a young Osama bin Laden listening cross legged on the floor to "morning has broken" and deciding to destroy western civilisation.

What other records of mass destruction has he been quitely recording these last decades? He might be about to release them on an unsuspecting populace. Better safe than sorry.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:56 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
can't disagree with you there, but I think that's a pretty big jump from diverting a plane and turning away this guy......

It all stems from the same principle of increased security against the threats of terrorism. But I do not deny that when something like 911 happens, there is an overreaction where the government errs on the side of extreme caution.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:59 am
Quote:
I'll give you that......the sad lesson here is that 5 years ago I, and many others would trust their decision without much question...oh how I long for the days when I trusted my elected officials at least a litttle.......

Five years? I haven't trusted any politician since Harry! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:10 am
This may or may not be relevent in the Cat Stevens issue, but there is an observation borne of many years of living that I would like to share. In my travels, I have noticed that some of the most militant people are those who have converted.........to a religion, to a cause. Somehow, by altering a life's path, many people tend to be caught up in their new found ideology to an extent not always evidenced by people who were born into it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:15 am
You mean the converts are the fanatics?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:17 am
I'll second that, Phoenix. There's nothing like the fervor of the newly converted or the born again.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:18 am
How many converts does it take to change a bulb?

Two, one to hold the ladder, the other to see the light.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:19 am
Quote:
You mean the converts are the fanatics?

I didn't say that. What I implied is that SOME converts to anything tend to go a bit overboard. Many people who are born into an ideology, IMO, tend to take their beliefs more as a matter of course. I have found that many converts seem to have the need to prove something, to show what a good......................he or she is!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:20 am
This is assinine. Cat Stevens retracted his statements regarding Salman Rushdie years ago. He embraces the peaceful side of Islam, and is no fan of the extremists. However, he has relevent points to make about knee-jerk racism against Islamics, which I don't really blame him for: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1558319.stm
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:22 am
I know you didn't say it Pheonix, but the implication was that new converts are more ardent in their beliefs, and could be described as fanatical.

And I agree with you.
0 Replies