Cat Stevens Treated Like A Terrorist By US Government

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:25 am
This book was written a long time ago, but is still very relevent, and worth a read.

Link to "True Believer"
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:27 am
Cav

What did Mr Islam say about Mr Rushdie that he felt he had to retract?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:40 am
Interesting book Pheonix

How many people reconvert? i.e. have second second thoughts and think, you know perhaps devil worship is not what I thought it was... back to unitarianism
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:51 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I think Pheonix has a point. I can just imagine a young Osama bin Laden listening cross legged on the floor to "morning has broken" and deciding to destroy western civilisation.

What other records of mass destruction has he been quitely recording these last decades? He might be about to release them on an unsuspecting populace. Better safe than sorry.

I'm sensing sarcasm......and enjoying it..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:53 am
Quote:
Ever since going into hiding after 1988's The Satanic Verses provoked the Ayatollah's fatwa (and death threats from another Muslim zealot, the erstwhile Cat Stevens), Rushdie has been busy

http://www.bookmagazine.com/archive/issue4/ro.shtml

Quote:
1990: Iranian leader upholds Rushdie fatwa
Iran's spiritual leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has said the death sentence on writer Salman Rushdie for alleged blasphemy will remain in force.
He rejected the author's repentance and recent decision not to publish a paperback edition of the novel The Satanic Verses which was deemed offensive to the Islamic faith.

Tehran Radio quoted Ayatollah Khameini as saying the decree by his predecessor Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini "remains unchanged even if he repents and becomes the most pious man of his time".

The Indian-born novelist has been in hiding under police guard since Ayatollah Khomeini ordered his death 22 months ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/december/26/newsid_2542000/2542873.stm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:59 am
Stevens has changed his mind about supporting the threats on Rushdie and he has very publicly spoken out against the terrorists, mainly because they attack innocent people.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:17 am
Anyone who seriously advocates killing an author for what he writes is going to have trouble regaining any credibility even if he does change his mind.

I am also quite willing to believe Yousef Islam holds extremist views, even if he did make some fairly mediocre pop records in the 1970s.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:25 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Cav

What did Mr Islam say about Mr Rushdie that he felt he had to retract?

edgar just answered that question.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
Last time Mrs. cav had really bad PMS, she threatened to kill me for not cleaning the toilet, and I must say, I took her at her word, what with the fire in her eyes. She did eventually apologize, and I forgave her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:33 am
Quote:
Anyone who seriously advocates killing an author for what he writes is going to have trouble regaining any credibility even if he does change his mind.

Exactly- I had found a link to his original refutation, but can't seem to access it again. It was a very lukewarm effort. Basically, he said that at the time that he agreed with the fatwa against Rushdie, he was new to Islam. He knows now that the laws of a nation supercedes Islamic law. In other words, if the laws in the UK would not allow the killing of Rushdie, he would not advocate people taking the matter into their own hands. He did say though, that people need to work within a country to change the laws.

I will look for the exact quote later!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:01 am
So the stupid crap you did as a kid or a teenager that you now regret, being older and wiser, should be held against you? Interesting theory.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:04 am
Sorry, bear didn't notice your thread.

Well, I really didn't know the facts of the "why", when I opened this thread - just read about 30 or so press articles and opinions on this.

Seems to be quite nice by Her Majesty's Government - if all that is true - to let them both live there.

However, there must have something happened between May and now - since in May Islam/Stevens could still visit the USA.
And now he is denied admission to the United States on national security grounds.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:14 am
A couple of years ago I heard some nut saying he would fight until sharia law was imposed in Britain, and that the green flag of Islam was flying over 10 Downing Street.

I still think he was a nut. But now I realise he wasn't being ironic.

Like it or not there is a political agenda within Islam which seeks to replace the secular law with religious law. Until it does, Yousef Islam is quite willing to accept that he must obey the law of the land, and not advocate killing Salman Rushdie. But once sharia law is in place....

I dont know how many times I hear that Islam is a religion of peace. Yet the beheadings of hostages is done in the name of Allah. Other Muslims condemn this blasphemy, and are themselves killed for their apostasy.

I think American neo imperialism is an affront to Muslim countries. But I also condemn backward restrictive even barbaric practices which seem to find justification within Islam.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
Quote:
So the stupid crap you did as a kid or a teenager that you now regret, being older and wiser, should be held against you? Interesting theory

No I think you're missing the point here Cav.

I'm willing to bet that Yousef Islam still believes that the punishment for apostasy is death....but now he's older and wiser, he keeps his trap shut.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
Quote:
So the stupid crap you did as a kid or a teenager that you now regret, being older and wiser, should be held against you? Interesting theory

Quote:
Born: Jul 21, 1947 in London, England

Quote:
On December 23, 1977, Stevens formally became a Muslim and adopted the name Yusuf Islam. Notwithstanding this change, there was an eleventh and final Cat Stevens album, Back to Earth, released in December 1978; it sold modestly. With that, Yusuf Islam retired from the pop music business. He entered into an arranged marriage that eventually produced five children, auctioned off his possessions, and founded a Muslim school near London. He was not widely heard from for another ten years, until he shocked admirers at the end of the '80s by supporting the death sentence ordered by the Ayatollah Khomeini against novelist Salman Rushdie for writing the book -The Satanic Verses.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Cat%20Stevens:1927004768:page=biography

Cav- Cat Stevens was born in 1947. He converted to Islam in 1977, when he was 30. His agreement with the Rushdie fatwa was in the late l980's, which would make him around 40.

Do you consider what someone does at 40, being the act of a kid or a teenager?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:23 am
Interestingly, the conservative Telegraph points out that Stevens last year two songs, including a re-recording of his 1970s hit Peace Train, in opposition to the war in Iraq ... ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:15 am
Quote:
September 22, 2004
Cat Stevens Detained, 70s Stars Vie to Get on Watch List
(2004-09-22) -- After the singer formerly known as Cat Stevens (TSFKACS) was detained by federal agents in Bangor, Maine, as he attempted to enter the United States, other 1970s pop stars lobbied to get their names included on the Department of Homeland Security's terrorist watch list.

"Cat Stevens shouldn't be grabbing all the glory and the royalties," said Terry Jacks, whose hit "Seasons in the Sun" captivated the nation in 1974. "There are others out there you know -- T. Rex, Helen Reddy, Rick Derringer -- many of them are still alive. Each of us deserves a place on the terrorist watch list, and the publicity that comes with it."

Homeland Security czar Tom Ridge said his department is currently considering requests for inclusion on the watch list from the following: Carl Douglas ('Kung Fu Fighting'), Stealers Wheel ('Stuck in the Middle with You'), Van McCoys ('The Hustle'), Gary Wright ('Dream Weaver'), John Sebastian ('Welcome Back'), Van Morrison ('Moondance') and Nick Gilder ('Hot Child in the City').

"Now that we have the Cat formerly known as Stevens in custody," said Mr. Ridge, "Other former pop stars will be reluctant to try to penetrate our borders. We've sent a clear signal to potential singer/terrorists: If you try to export your brand of music/terror here, you'll end up cooling your heels in Bangor, Maine."
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:18 am
The above is a satire.

So, Stevens said such about Salman Rushdie.

Obviously this became a thread against US national security only after May 2004.

And might be related to the fact that Homeland security officials recently revoked the visa of Ramadan, a Swiss Islamic scholar who was due to begin teaching at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana. No explanation for the abrupt move was given.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:43 am
My understanding is that he gave large sums of money to Hamas.

This guy dropped way too much acid with Jimi back in the days, made himself an easy target for "conversion".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:49 am
Okay, even if - why did the USA authorities not make this decision for his previous US-visits, before he boarded the plane or at least after he landed in Washington ?
0 Replies