THE LIE THAT IS LIBERAL

parados

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:32 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

That doesn't make the judge's words any less valid.

It means the words don't have any legal weight as a court ruling. They are simply the words of a single judge in a single case. You are attempting to give them a legal meaning that is not there. The judge wasn't creating a legal precedent. He was merely stating something that already existed. They could carry weapons suitable to their condition and as allowed by law. The conviction proves that carrying weapons in this case violated the law.

Quote:
Here are the judge's exact words (quoted directly from my sig line):
A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is traveling or going for the ordinary purposes of business.

And you ignore the context of the case. A man has a right to carry arms suitable to their condition. That was not a question here since they were carrying pikes which was suitable to their position. You are attempting to make it include all arms when the facts of the case are restricted to a few types.

Quote:
Nor have I applied any meaning other than the meaning clearly expressed by the judge.
Yes, you included arms not in evidence in the case where the statement was made.

Quote:
Assuming for the sake of argument that the US did change the right, that would still mean we had to receive it from the British first.

It would be pretty hard for us to change the right if we had never received it to begin with.
Drunk
Let me ask you, do the British have the same gun rights as the US? If they have the same rights and it was granted to them in the English Bill of Rights then can you explain when that Bill of Rights was repealed?

You started this by claiming that Rex v Dewhurst granted the rights to carry guns in public.
http://able2know.org/topic/344120-2#post-6270734
It did no such thing. If Rex v Dewhurst was a precedent then what court cases overturned it because I am pretty sure that Britain doesn't allow it's citizens to carry guns.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:44 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:

You're both referring to the same right, aren't you?

Yes. "My claim that the right was created in 1689" and "Parados' claim that the right was created narrowly" do refer to the same right.

So then when parados claimed that "the right to keep and bear arms was not granted to all in the English Bill of Rights," he was directly addressing the argument that you made that "[t]o look at the actual nature of the right [in the USA], you have to look at what the UK created." In other words, you're both trying to determine the extent of the right that was initially created in 1689 by the EBR. Isn't that correct?

oralloy wrote:
So your claim that this isn't true, was incorrect.

As I see it, you're both talking about the same thing, you just have different interpretations of it. Are you, therefore, suggesting that someone with a different interpretation can't say anything relevant about your position?

oralloy wrote:
I did not take his claim as saying that it was narrow to the point of being illusory. I took his claim as saying that it was narrow.

Po-tay-toh, po-tah-toh.

oralloy wrote:
I am unsure if he and I interpret the text of the English Bill of Rights with a significant difference.

Then why do you dispute his interpretation?

oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I honestly cannot perceive any relevance to the claim that the right was created narrowly.

So if someone says that your position is wrong, that's not relevant to your position?

"Someone saying that my position is wrong" and "someone using an irrelevant point as justification for saying that my position is wrong" are not the same thing.

That doesn't answer my question.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:59 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
It means the words don't have any legal weight as a court ruling. They are simply the words of a single judge in a single case. You are attempting to give them a legal meaning that is not there. The judge wasn't creating a legal precedent.

Indeed. Rex v. Dewhurst was a trial court case. The rulings of trial court judges have no precedential value outside of the case in which they are issued. That rule's the same in the US and in the UK.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 04:39 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
It means the words don't have any legal weight as a court ruling. They are simply the words of a single judge in a single case. You are attempting to give them a legal meaning that is not there. The judge wasn't creating a legal precedent. He was merely stating something that already existed.

So the judge's words are evidence showing the existence of this right.

parados wrote:
They could carry weapons suitable to their condition and as allowed by law.

At the time, this meant that ordinary citizens were allowed to carry flintlock muskets (in 1820 the caplock had not yet entered into common use).

parados wrote:
The conviction proves that carrying weapons in this case violated the law.

I do not perceive any relevance to the question of whether the law was violated by those specific defendants. The value of this case is in the judge's statement that provides evidence as to the extent of the right to keep and bear arms.

parados wrote:
And you ignore the context of the case. A man has a right to carry arms suitable to their condition. That was not a question here since they were carrying pikes which was suitable to their position. You are attempting to make it include all arms when the facts of the case are restricted to a few types.

I never said the right included all arms. It certainly included (in 1820) flintlock muskets however.

The sort of arms used by the defendants in this specific case has no bearing on what sort of weapons are covered by the right to keep and bear arms.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Nor have I applied any meaning other than the meaning clearly expressed by the judge.

Yes, you included arms not in evidence in the case where the statement was made.

Which arms were in evidence in this specific case has no relevance to the question of which arms people had the right to have under their 1689 right to have arms.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Assuming for the sake of argument that the US did change the right, that would still mean we had to receive it from the British first.
It would be pretty hard for us to change the right if we had never received it to begin with.

Drunk

Is this an agreement that we had to receive the right from the British before we could change it (assuming for the sake of argument that we did change it)?

I really have a lot of trouble picturing how we could change a right without first already having it.

parados wrote:
Let me ask you, do the British have the same gun rights as the US?

Not anymore. They used to however.

parados wrote:
If they have the same rights and it was granted to them in the English Bill of Rights then can you explain when that Bill of Rights was repealed?

Their 1689 right to have arms was repealed by the Firearms Act of 1920.

parados wrote:
You started this by claiming that Rex v Dewhurst granted the rights to carry guns in public.
http://able2know.org/topic/344120-2#post-6270734

No. The 1689 English Bill of Rights granted the right.

Rex v Dewhurst is evidence that this right included carrying arms in public.

parados wrote:
If Rex v Dewhurst was a precedent then what court cases overturned it because I am pretty sure that Britain doesn't allow it's citizens to carry guns.

The right that was referred to in Rex v Dewhurst was overturned by the Firearms Act of 1920.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 04:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
So then when parados claimed that "the right to keep and bear arms was not granted to all in the English Bill of Rights," he was directly addressing the argument that you made that "[t]o look at the actual nature of the right [in the USA], you have to look at what the UK created." In other words, you're both trying to determine the extent of the right that was initially created in 1689 by the EBR. Isn't that correct?

Not quite correct. I am referring to the right as it existed in society after it was created. I perceive no relevance to the extent of the right at the exact instant that it was created.

It is clear to me that even if the right was initially limited to Protestants (something that I am not convinced is the case, but which I acknowledge could have been true), the right was applied to everyone once the courts started enforcing it.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
So your claim that this isn't true, was incorrect.

As I see it, you're both talking about the same thing, you just have different interpretations of it.

Not quite the same thing. I was talking about the right as it existed in society after its creation. Parados was talking about its extent at the very moment of its creation.

joefromchicago wrote:
Are you, therefore, suggesting that someone with a different interpretation can't say anything relevant about your position?

No. Not saying that.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I did not take his claim as saying that it was narrow to the point of being illusory. I took his claim as saying that it was narrow.

Po-tay-toh, po-tah-toh.

There is a substantial difference between "a right being narrow" and "a right being so narrow that it doesn't exist".

If it was true that the right at the moment of its creation was limited only to Protestants, it would very much have been an actual right. There were a lot of Protestants in England who could have exercised such a right.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I am unsure if he and I interpret the text of the English Bill of Rights with a significant difference.

Then why do you dispute his interpretation?

I have not disputed his interpretation.

I initially ignored his interpretation and focused on other points that I thought were central to the issue.

After he repeated his interpretation and complained that I was ignoring it, I stated that I could perceive no relevance to the issue, and asked why he thought it was relevant.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I honestly cannot perceive any relevance to the claim that the right was created narrowly.

So if someone says that your position is wrong, that's not relevant to your position?

"Someone saying that my position is wrong" and "someone using an irrelevant point as justification for saying that my position is wrong" are not the same thing.

That doesn't answer my question.

Your question covers different possibilities, and the answer is different depending on the circumstances.

If someone says that my position is wrong and they have a sound argument backing their claim, that is highly relevant.

If someone says that my position is wrong and they don't have a sound argument backing their claim, that is much less relevant.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 04:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Indeed. Rex v. Dewhurst was a trial court case. The rulings of trial court judges have no precedential value outside of the case in which they are issued. That rule's the same in the US and in the UK.

They can however provide an indication as to how the courts viewed and applied a right.
parados

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 07:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Which is not your original claim. And the right as you claim it existed didn't really exist. There were some pretty major restrictions you continue to ignore.

Quote:

At the time, this meant that ordinary citizens were allowed to carry flintlock muskets
Really? Do you have a citation?

Quote:
The value of this case is in the judge's statement that provides evidence as to the extent of the right to keep and bear arms.
The value of this case is that people can carry arms but the people that carried arms were convicted of a crime? Do you not understand that the conviction of those people completely undermines your argument?

Quote:
The sort of arms used by the defendants in this specific case has no bearing on what sort of weapons are covered by the right to keep and bear arms.
It has a very real bearing because the judge was dealing with this case. He was not ruling in any other case. His arguments can't be used in any other case. You are completely ignoring how the law and courts work.

Quote:

No, they never really did. The Bill of Rights allowed for the law to control what weapons could be owned and carried.

Quote:
The right that was referred to in Rex v Dewhurst was overturned by the Firearms Act of 1920.

No, the right remained. They could still own and carry arms allowed under the law. What changed was which weapons the law allowed. They still had the same right they had when the Bill of Rights was passed.
oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:17 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Which is not your original claim.

It seems to me to be the same thing that I've been saying from the start.

parados wrote:
And the right as you claim it existed didn't really exist.

The legal and historical record says that it did exist.

parados wrote:
There were some pretty major restrictions you continue to ignore.

There were no restrictions that would have prevented people from carrying guns for their own protection when going out in public.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
At the time, this meant that ordinary citizens were allowed to carry flintlock muskets

Really?

Yes. Flintlock muskets were the primary infantry weapon in 1820, and the general populace was always encouraged to have and use whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.

parados wrote:
Do you have a citation?

Here are some legal rulings that make it clear that the right included guns:

Rex v. Gardner (1739): "And they do not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence, but only from making that forbidden use of it. And the word 'gun' being purposely omitted in this act, the defendant is not within the penalty."

Mallock v. Eastley (1744): "the mere having a gun was no offense within the game laws, for a man may keep a gun for the defence of his house and family."

Wingfield v. Stratford (1752): "It is not to be imagined, that it was the Intention of the Legislature, in making the 5 Ann.c.14 to disarm all the People of England. As Greyhounds, Setting Dogs ... are expressly mentioned in that Statute, it is never necessary to alledge, that any of these have been used for killing or destroying the Game; and the rather, as they can scarcely be kept for any other Purpose than to kill or destroy the Game. But as Guns are not expressly mentioned in that Statute, and as a Gun may be kept for the Defence of a Man's House, and for divers other lawful Purposes, it was necessary to alledge, in order to its being comprehended within the Meaning of the Words 'any other Engines to kill the Game', that the Gun had been used for killing the Game."

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The value of this case is in the judge's statement that provides evidence as to the extent of the right to keep and bear arms.

The value of this case is that people can carry arms but the people that carried arms were convicted of a crime?

Come now. You know very well that the judge made a clear distinction between "carrying arms when going singly or in a small party on the road for business or travel" (which people had the right to do) and "carrying arms when attending a public meeting" (which people did not have the right to do).

parados wrote:
Do you not understand that the conviction of those people completely undermines your argument?

I am confident that any convictions in Rex v Dewhurst do not harm my position even slightly.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

It has a very real bearing because the judge was dealing with this case. He was not ruling in any other case. His arguments can't be used in any other case.

The fact that the judge in 1820 was dealing with only one case does not in any way limit the scope of the 1689 English Bill of Rights.

parados wrote:
You are completely ignoring how the law and courts work.

Generally judges provide jury instructions that are consistent with the law as it is being applied by the courts.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No, they never really did.

The historical and legal record says that they did.

parados wrote:
The Bill of Rights allowed for the law to control what weapons could be owned and carried.

And the law allowed people to own and carry whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

No, the right remained.

That is incorrect. Before 1920 people had the right to own and carry bolt action rifles (then the standard infantry weapon). After 1920 people could be denied the ability to own guns.

parados wrote:
They could still own and carry arms allowed under the law.

Not after 1920. The government gained the power to prevent people from having guns.

parados wrote:
What changed was which weapons the law allowed.

No. What changed was the power of the government to deny people the ability to own guns.

parados wrote:
They still had the same right they had when the Bill of Rights was passed.

After 1920, people no longer had the right to own and carry bolt-action rifles. They had that right before 1920.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 08:00 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Not quite correct. I am referring to the right as it existed in society after it was created. I perceive no relevance to the extent of the right at the exact instant that it was created.

That strikes me as a singularly odd position to take. If the right as created isn't relevant to the right as subsequently interpreted by judges, then aren't you suggesting that judges are free to make up rights as they go along, without regard to the document that created the right in the first place?

oralloy wrote:
It is clear to me that even if the right was initially limited to Protestants (something that I am not convinced is the case, but which I acknowledge could have been true), the right was applied to everyone once the courts started enforcing it.

If you take the position that judges are free to expand rights, aren't you also forced to concede that judges are free to restrict them?

oralloy wrote:
Not quite the same thing. I was talking about the right as it existed in society after its creation. Parados was talking about its extent at the very moment of its creation.

As noted above, that's either a distinction without a difference or it's just a rather weird position to take.

oralloy wrote:
There is a substantial difference between "a right being narrow" and "a right being so narrow that it doesn't exist".

In this instance, not much.

oralloy wrote:
If it was true that the right at the moment of its creation was limited only to Protestants, it would very much have been an actual right. There were a lot of Protestants in England who could have exercised such a right.

But only to the extent that they were permitted by law.

oralloy wrote:
After he repeated his interpretation and complained that I was ignoring it, I stated that I could perceive no relevance to the issue, and asked why he thought it was relevant.

Probably because he couldn't believe you were taking the strange position that you seem to be staking out.

oralloy wrote:
If someone says that my position is wrong and they have a sound argument backing their claim, that is highly relevant.

If someone says that my position is wrong and they don't have a sound argument backing their claim, that is much less relevant.

And you get to decide if they have a sound argument or not.
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 08:02 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
They can however provide an indication as to how the courts viewed and applied a right.

Indeed, they evidently viewed the right as something that could be limited by ordinary legislation.
oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:10 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
That strikes me as a singularly odd position to take. If the right as created isn't relevant to the right as subsequently interpreted by judges, then aren't you suggesting that judges are free to make up rights as they go along, without regard to the document that created the right in the first place?

I'm not saying the right as written was not relevant to the judges who interpreted it. They didn't completely change the right into something else. They merely broadened it a little bit.

joefromchicago wrote:
If you take the position that judges are free to expand rights, aren't you also forced to concede that judges are free to restrict them?

They don't seem like the same thing. No one is injured when a right is expanded. Restricting a right injures everyone who wants to exercise that right.

joefromchicago wrote:
As noted above, that's either a distinction without a difference or it's just a rather weird position to take.

I see a massive difference. In one version we have a right, narrow maybe, but still very much a right. In the other version we don't have a right.

joefromchicago wrote:
In this instance, not much.

In my view "the difference between having a narrow right and having no right" is like "the difference between having an illness and being dead".

joefromchicago wrote:
But only to the extent that they were permitted by law.

That was no big deal. For the duration of the right in England (from 1689 to 1920), the law allowed people to have whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day. Restrictions were limited to specific types of guns that were conducive to some sort of social ill. The Second Amendment under Strict Scrutiny would be pretty similar to that.

joefromchicago wrote:
Probably because he couldn't believe you were taking the strange position that you seem to be staking out.

I think he felt that his point was significant and wanted me to address it.

joefromchicago wrote:
And you get to decide if they have a sound argument or not.

For purposes of me crafting my replies, I suppose so.

Everyone ultimately forms their own conclusions however.
oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 12:11 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Indeed, they evidently viewed the right as something that could be limited by ordinary legislation.

That was the case with all rights in the UK. They don't have a Constitution that allows their courts to overturn laws like we do in the US. In the UK, the will of the majority as expressed by the current parliament had absolute power.

This changed a little bit when the UK submitted to the authority of the European Court of Human Rights, but by that time the UK had already abolished their gun rights (and the European Court of Human Rights does not enforce gun rights).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 09:29 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I'm not saying the right as written was not relevant to the judges who interpreted it. They didn't completely change the right into something else. They merely broadened it a little bit.

So let me get this straight: the right, as originally created, was relevant to the judges who interpreted it, but it isn't relevant to your position regarding the interpretation that those judges gave to it. You'll have to explain that one to me.

oralloy wrote:
They don't seem like the same thing. No one is injured when a right is expanded. Restricting a right injures everyone who wants to exercise that right.

That's simply not true. In the case of competing rights, recognizing one person's right will infringe on someone else's competing right to do something different. My right to be left alone, for instance, comes into conflict with someone else's right to call me as a witness in a criminal case. In this particular instance, parliament limited the right in the EBR from the outset. I'm not sure why, according to your interpretation, it couldn't be limited further by judges. Nothing, after all, compelled them to go in only one direction when it came to changing the contours of the right - or are you aware of some legal or legislative rule that I'm not?

oralloy wrote:
I see a massive difference. In one version we have a right, narrow maybe, but still very much a right. In the other version we don't have a right.

In practice, that's not much of a difference.

oralloy wrote:
That was no big deal. For the duration of the right in England (from 1689 to 1920), the law allowed people to have whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day. Restrictions were limited to specific types of guns that were conducive to some sort of social ill. The Second Amendment under Strict Scrutiny would be pretty similar to that.

Not really.
oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2016 10:47 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
So let me get this straight: the right, as originally created, was relevant to the judges who interpreted it, but it isn't relevant to your position regarding the interpretation that those judges gave to it.

Correct.

joefromchicago wrote:
You'll have to explain that one to me.

The judges who originally interpreted the right needed the text of the right in order to interpret it.

The only reason to refer back to the original text today would be to interpret it anew. My position is that we should focus solely on the existing interpretations of ancient judges.

joefromchicago wrote:
That's simply not true. In the case of competing rights, recognizing one person's right will infringe on someone else's competing right to do something different. My right to be left alone, for instance, comes into conflict with someone else's right to call me as a witness in a criminal case.

I can see that sometimes rights can be in conflict with each other, but I don't think that is universal.

I cannot envision how allowing non-Protestants to have guns would interfere with anyone else's rights.

joefromchicago wrote:
In this particular instance, parliament limited the right in the EBR from the outset.

I am not convinced that this is true. (I acknowledge though that it might be true.)

This right came about because the previous king had just tried to disarm Protestants. The text might have referred specifically to Protestants having the right because Protestants were the ones who had just been the victims of disarmament. There might not have been any intent to exclude non-Protestants from exercising the right as well.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm not sure why, according to your interpretation, it couldn't be limited further by judges. Nothing, after all, compelled them to go in only one direction when it came to changing the contours of the right - or are you aware of some legal or legislative rule that I'm not?

Limiting a right would be violating that right.

If expanding a right caused the violation of a different right, that would be harmful and judges shouldn't do that.

But an expansion that doesn't cause the violation of other rights doesn't do any harm. I see no reason why judges shouldn't be allowed to expand rights in circumstances where there is no harm done.

joefromchicago wrote:
In practice, that's not much of a difference.

I see a huge difference between having a narrow right and having no right.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Not really.

I am confident that everything that I wrote in that paragraph is 100% correct.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 05:52 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
No. What changed was the power of the government to deny people the ability to own guns.

That didn't change. The power was always there in the Bill of Rights under the as allowed by law clause.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 08:49 am
@RABEL222,
He doesn't believe in a woman's right to abortion, he believes in a woman's right to buy an abortion. He doesn't understand "equal access under the law". That's why he doesn't want taxes to pay for poor women's abortions.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 05:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That didn't change.

Between 1689 and 1920, the British government did not have the power to prevent people from owning whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day.

After 1920, the British government had the power to prevent people from owning guns.

That is a substantial change.

parados wrote:
The power was always there in the Bill of Rights under the as allowed by law clause.

That is incorrect. That clause did not authorize the British government to prevent people from owning and possessing whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 06:03 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Between 1689 and 1920, the British government did not have the power to prevent people from owning whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day.

Of course it did. Just because they hadn't exercised that power didn't mean they didn't have it. In 1903 they passed the pistols act which required licenses to buy pistols. Are you arguing that pistols aren't a standard infantry gun since you put the date at 1920?

Quote:
That clause did not authorize the British government to prevent people from owning and possessing whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day.

Of course it allowed for the passage of such laws.
Quote:
That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;

There is nothing in that clause preventing the government from changing the laws about what is allowed. They can't apply it to only Protestants but they can certainly change what the law allows for everyone.
oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2016 07:27 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Of course it did. Just because they hadn't exercised that power didn't mean they didn't have it.

The fact that from 1689 to 1920 the law and the courts said that people had the right to have guns means that from 1689 to 1920 the government didn't have the power to prevent it.

parados wrote:
In 1903 they passed the pistols act which required licenses to buy pistols. Are you arguing that pistols aren't a standard infantry gun since you put the date at 1920?

That 1903 act allowed anyone to acquire a license just by stopping off at a post office. It was no bar to the ownership of handguns.

It stands as a good lesson though as to why it is important to always block centralized gun registration. Whenever centralized registration is allowed to pass, a gun ban will always follow.

And as it happens, the standard infantry weapon both in 1903 and 1920 was not a pistol:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee%E2%80%93Enfield

parados wrote:
Of course it allowed for the passage of such laws.
Quote:
That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;

There is nothing in that clause preventing the government from changing the laws about what is allowed. They can't apply it to only Protestants but they can certainly change what the law allows for everyone.

Yes, there was nothing preventing the British government from changing the law to repeal the right. But until they did change the law and repeal the right (which they only did in 1920), the right stood in the way of the government interfering with the ownership of whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.
parados

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 05:36 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The fact that from 1689 to 1920 the law and the courts said that people had the right to have guns means that from 1689 to 1920 the government didn't have the power to prevent it.

You are confusing not exercising a power with not having that power. The government had the power all along. The people's rights didn't change. They were always restricted by what the law allowed. It was the law that changed, not the right.

Quote:

And as it happens, the standard infantry weapon both in 1903 and 1920 was not a pistol:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee%E2%80%93Enfield

So you are willing to argue that the right as you define it specifies only ONE type of weapon is allowed? So under your argument they could ban every weapon but the one that is currently the standard infantry weapon. (That seems to be rather large concession on your part as to how limited the right is.)

Quote:
Yes, there was nothing preventing the British government from changing the law to repeal the right. But until they did change the law and repeal the right (which they only did in 1920), the right stood in the way of the government interfering with the ownership of whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.
WTF? You don't seem to understand what the right is. They can have weapons allowed by law. When the type of weapons allowed changes it doesn't change the right. The right still exists only the weapons allowed has changed.