THE LIE THAT IS LIBERAL

oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:17 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
You are confusing not exercising a power with not having that power. The government had the power all along.

During the period from 1689 to 1920, the government did not have the power to interfere with people owning the standard infantry weapon of the day.

The government only gained this power when the law was changed in 1920.

parados wrote:
The people's rights didn't change.

Before 1920, the people had the right to have bolt-action rifles. After 1920, they did not have the right to have guns.

parados wrote:
They were always restricted by what the law allowed.

The law always allowed them to have whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day. The restrictions that you refer to were limited to narrow circumstances or unusual gun types.

The Second Amendment under Strict Scrutiny is subject to similar restrictions. It's not a big deal.

parados wrote:
It was the law that changed, not the right.

Changing the law in 1920 eliminated the right.

parados wrote:
So you are willing to argue that the right as you define it specifies only ONE type of weapon is allowed?

I've taken that position before. Currently I favor an interpretation where militiamen have the right to keep all sorts of military weaponry (Stinger missiles, etc) at home, and non-militiamen have the right to carry weapons suitable for self defense.

parados wrote:
So under your argument they could ban every weapon but the one that is currently the standard infantry weapon. (That seems to be rather large concession on your part as to how limited the right is.)

Keep in mind that the current infantry weapon is an M-16 with a 30-round magazine and a three-shot-burst option. If people were limited so that this was the only weapon that they could carry in public, they would likely be adequately armed for self defense.

parados wrote:
WTF? You don't seem to understand what the right is. They can have weapons allowed by law.

I understand just fine. What you are referring to allowed the government to set rules and regulations for the civilian ownership of guns. It was not authorization to prevent anyone from having guns, only authorization to set rules that they had to comply with in their gun ownership.

parados wrote:
When the type of weapons allowed changes it doesn't change the right. The right still exists only the weapons allowed has changed.

The Firearms Act of 1920 was not a change in what types of weapons were allowed to the public. It gave the government the power to completely disarm individual people.
parados

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:24 am
@oralloy,
It seems you want to argue that your opinion trumps the actual words of the EBR.

Arguing that owning a gun is a right granted by the EBR is nonsense. If that was true then the only way to overturn that would be to repeal that part of the EBR. The current gun laws in Britian align perfectly with the words in the EBR.

Quote:

The law always allowed them to have whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.
What utter nonsense. If that was true then there would have been no reason to implement the EBR. The law didn't always allow them to have the standard infantry weapon.

Quote:
I understand just fine. What you are referring to were narrow restrictions aimed at limited types of guns, and never prevented people from having standard infantry guns.
The restrictions were within the rights granted by the EBR. You don't seem to understand right granted in the EBR vs laws passed to restrict weapons under the rights.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
When the type of weapons allowed changes it doesn't change the right. The right still exists only the weapons allowed has changed.

The Firearms Act of 1920 was not a change in what types of weapons were allowed to the public. It gave the government the power to completely disarm individual people.
According to your 'definition' of rights and laws/acts, already the Assize of Arms of 1181 did so.
oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:43 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
It seems you want to argue that your opinion trumps the actual words of the EBR.

Not at all. I am merely pointing out what the words meant.

parados wrote:
Arguing that owning a gun is a right granted by the EBR is nonsense.

Pointing out reality is never nonsense.

parados wrote:
If that was true then the only way to overturn that would be to repeal that part of the EBR.

Yes. That is exactly what happened in 1920.

parados wrote:
The current gun laws in Britian align perfectly with the words in the EBR.

That is incorrect. They are contrary to the part of the English Bill of Rights that allowed everyone (or at the least, all Protestants) to have guns.

parados wrote:
What utter nonsense. If that was true then there would have been no reason to implement the EBR. The law didn't always allow them to have the standard infantry weapon.

Good grief. My statement was clearly referring to the period when the right was in existence.

Of course there were abusive disarmament laws that preceded (and provoked) the English Bill of Rights.

parados wrote:
The restrictions were within the rights granted by the EBR. You don't seem to understand right granted in the EBR vs laws passed to restrict weapons under the rights.

I understand perfectly. These restrictions were rules and regulations for people to follow in their ownership of guns. This was never authorization to prevent someone from having guns altogether.
oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 06:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
According to your 'definition' of rights and laws/acts, already the Assize of Arms of 1181 did so.

That was a bit before 1689.

The anti-Semitism in the document was shameful though.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 07:19 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Not at all. I am merely pointing out what the words meant.

No, you are not. What does "allowed under the law" mean to you? There is no restriction that no laws could be passed in the future.

Quote:
Yes. That is exactly what happened in 1920.
What part of any law overturned the EBR? Citizens are still allowed to have weapons allowed under the law precisely the way the EBR states. Changing which weapons are allowed doesn't change the EBR. Changing the types of weapons complies completely with the EBR.

Quote:
I understand perfectly. These restrictions were rules and regulations for people to follow in their ownership of guns.
Really? Where does the EBR even mention guns? Where does it mention weapons carried by the infantry? You simply make stuff up and then expect us to believe you.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 08:00 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The judges who originally interpreted the right needed the text of the right in order to interpret it.

The only reason to refer back to the original text today would be to interpret it anew. My position is that we should focus solely on the existing interpretations of ancient judges.

I'm not sure why, unless you're assuming that their interpretations are correct, which is a sort of begging the question.

oralloy wrote:
I cannot envision how allowing non-Protestants to have guns would interfere with anyone else's rights.

But the authors of the EBR could.

oralloy wrote:
This right came about because the previous king had just tried to disarm Protestants. The text might have referred specifically to Protestants having the right because Protestants were the ones who had just been the victims of disarmament. There might not have been any intent to exclude non-Protestants from exercising the right as well.

No, here you're quite wrong. The authors of the EBR had no interest in seeing weapons of any kind in the hands of non-Protestants, whom they regarded as little better than traitors. And besides, that's not how statutes are written. If a law, for instance, is limited to persons 65 and older, that doesn't mean it also applies to people younger than 65.

oralloy wrote:
Limiting a right would be violating that right.

Even if it is to preserve someone else's right? So prohibiting someone from shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater is a violation of that person's right to free speech?

oralloy wrote:
If expanding a right caused the violation of a different right, that would be harmful and judges shouldn't do that.

But sometimes it can't be helped. Rights come into conflict all the time.

oralloy wrote:
But an expansion that doesn't cause the violation of other rights doesn't do any harm. I see no reason why judges shouldn't be allowed to expand rights in circumstances where there is no harm done.

Who decides?

oralloy wrote:
I am confident that everything that I wrote in that paragraph is 100% correct.

Yeah, I know.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 07:18 pm
I was reading one of my conservative magazines and got tired of the lies and so switched to one of my liberal ones. Almost the first article I ran into was about welfare. Welfare for the poor cost us 159 billion dollars,in one year. I thought to myself, my god, how can we afford this. I kept reading my liberal rag and came across this bit of information. We spend 1.539 trillion dollars on corporate welfare. 10 times what we spend on the poor. $1,539,000,000,000 is I think the number that you need to look at.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:07 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
No, you are not.

When I point out what a law means, that counts as pointing out what a law means.

parados wrote:
What does "allowed under the law" mean to you?

These restrictions were rules and regulations for people to follow in their ownership of guns. This was never authorization to prevent someone from having guns altogether.

parados wrote:
There is no restriction that no laws could be passed in the future.

True. That's why they continued to pass laws in the future.

parados wrote:
What part of any law overturned the EBR?

The part of the Firearms Act of 1920 that allowed the government to prevent people from having guns, overturned the part of the English Bill of Rights that gave everyone (or at least all Protestants) the right to have guns.

parados wrote:
Citizens are still allowed to have weapons allowed under the law precisely the way the EBR states.

That is incorrect. The law was changed in 1920 to allow the government to disarm people.

parados wrote:
Changing which weapons are allowed doesn't change the EBR.

The Firearms Act of 1920 did not change what guns were allowed. It gave the government the power to deny individuals from having any gun.

parados wrote:
Changing the types of weapons complies completely with the EBR.

Not necessarily. A restriction broad enough to prevent the possession of whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day would have been contrary to what the right intended.

Narrow restrictions against specific non-military weapons types would have been OK however. Or restrictions against carrying guns in specific limited locations.

parados wrote:
Really?

Yes.

parados wrote:
Where does the EBR even mention guns?

Guns are included in the word "arms".

parados wrote:
Where does it mention weapons carried by the infantry?

That was understood by everyone to begin with. England had for centuries encouraged the general populace to own and use whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day. Then Protestants who tried to possess those standard infantry weapons were disarmed. After they deposed the king who had disarmed them, they created the right to have arms.

That is why for the entire duration of the right none of the laws governing the possession of arms prevented people from having whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.

parados wrote:
You simply make stuff up and then expect us to believe you.

The legal and historical record (and the existence of facts in general) are hardly things that I created myself.
oralloy

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
I'm not sure why, unless you're assuming that their interpretations are correct, which is a sort of begging the question.

My entire position is based on the assumption that their interpretation is the correct one.

joefromchicago wrote:
But the authors of the EBR could.
No, here you're quite wrong. The authors of the EBR had no interest in seeing weapons of any kind in the hands of non-Protestants, whom they regarded as little better than traitors.

You seem confident that they intended non-Protestants to be disarmed. Is there someplace I can read more about this?

joefromchicago wrote:
If a law, for instance, is limited to persons 65 and older, that doesn't mean it also applies to people younger than 65.

Yes, but I'm not so sure that the text was intended as a limitation.

joefromchicago wrote:
Even if it is to preserve someone else's right?

I don't think the reason for a limitation changes whether or not the limitation is a violation.

joefromchicago wrote:
So prohibiting someone from shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater is a violation of that person's right to free speech?

If a limitation meets the standard of Strict Scrutiny then I do not see it as a violation of a right. I think restrictions against shouting fire in a crowded theater meet the standard of Strict Scrutiny.

I will also accept restrictions against the Second Amendment if I believe that those restrictions meet the standard of Strict Scrutiny.

joefromchicago wrote:
But sometimes it can't be helped. Rights come into conflict all the time.

I don't think it happens all that often. When it does happen, Strict Scrutiny is the answer.

joefromchicago wrote:
Who decides?

It depends. As far as deciding how the law is enforced, the courts decide.

But we the people should be observant of what the government is doing, and when a political party always nominates judges who maliciously allow our rights to be violated, we should vote against that party so that we end up with judges who will protect our rights.

If we end up with judges who will not protect our rights, then we need to vote against legislators who try to pass laws that violate our rights (which is where the NRA comes into the picture).

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I am confident that everything that I wrote in that paragraph is 100% correct.

Yeah, I know.

We'll see if any arguments arise against what I wrote in that paragraph.
parados

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 09:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
When I point out what a law means, that counts as pointing out what a law means.
We are talking about the words of the right granted in the EBR. Pointing out what a law says does not tell us what the EBR says. You are interchanging the laws with the rights you claim were granted. They are not the same thing. The rights have not changed. The laws have.

Quote:
These restrictions were rules and regulations for people to follow in their ownership of guns. This was never authorization to prevent someone from having guns altogether.

In your first sentence you admit there can be rules and regulations to follow for gun ownership. Then in your second sentence you argue that the current rules and regulations are not authorized. People can own guns in England. They do own guns in England. There are rules and regulations in place for them to follow in the ownership of guns. You are arguing it is fine to make rules and regulations as long as they are not rules and regulations you disagree with.

Quote:
The part of the Firearms Act of 1920 that allowed the government to prevent people from having guns, overturned the part of the English Bill of Rights that gave everyone (or at least all Protestants) the right to have guns.
The EBR didn't grant the right to have guns. It granted the right to have arms as allowed by the law. Guns are not the only type of arms and guns are not exempt from being restricted by law. You mis-characterize and bastardize the words found in the EBR.

Quote:
Not necessarily. A restriction broad enough to prevent the possession of whatever was the standard infantry gun of the day would have been contrary to what the right intended.
What do you think the right intended? You keep changing your argument. Is it a right to defend oneself in the home as the court cases you quoted? Is it a right to carry arms openly in public? Is it a right to have standard infantry weapons which you have never presented a court case that says that?

Quote:
That was understood by everyone to begin with. England had for centuries encouraged the general populace to own and use whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day.
Do you ever stop to consider how you contradict yourself? Read your statement again. Then go back and read some of your previous arguments?

Quote:
The legal and historical record (and the existence of facts in general) are hardly things that I created myself.
If only you would rely on the legal and historical record instead of making up meanings.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 09:45 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
My entire position is based on the assumption that their interpretation is the correct one.

That assumption may not be warranted. More to the point, your interpretation of their interpretation of the EBR may not be accurate. I think that is what parados is trying to get across to you.

oralloy wrote:
You seem confident that they intended non-Protestants to be disarmed. Is there someplace I can read more about this?

There is no shortage of books on the Glorious Revolution. The time for you to read up on that event may have been before you started forming conclusions about that event.

oralloy wrote:
Yes, but I'm not so sure that the text was intended as a limitation.

Because?

oralloy wrote:
We'll see if any arguments arise against what I wrote in that paragraph.

Would any such argument sway you?
oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 03:44 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
We are talking about the words of the right granted in the EBR. Pointing out what a law says does not tell us what the EBR says. You are interchanging the laws with the rights you claim were granted.

Good grief. Whether I'm explaining what the law says or explaining what a right says, I'm still explaining what words mean.

parados wrote:
The rights have not changed. The laws have.

The right ceased to exist (in England at least) when the law was changed to repeal it.

parados wrote:
In your first sentence you admit there can be rules and regulations to follow for gun ownership.

Yes.

parados wrote:
Then in your second sentence you argue that the current rules and regulations are not authorized.

Correct. The authorization of rules for governing the possession of guns was not authorization for barring individuals from possessing any gun.

parados wrote:
People can own guns in England. They do own guns in England. There are rules and regulations in place for them to follow in the ownership of guns.

However people in England no longer have a right to have guns, that right having been repealed in 1920. If the government there wishes, it can prevent individuals from having guns.

parados wrote:
You are arguing it is fine to make rules and regulations as long as they are not rules and regulations you disagree with.

I have not made such an argument.

I have however pointed out that authorization to set up rules for someone to follow when owning guns, is not authorization to bar individuals from having any gun.

parados wrote:
The EBR didn't grant the right to have guns. It granted the right to have arms as allowed by the law. Guns are not the only type of arms and guns are not exempt from being restricted by law.

Restrictions against people possessing specific narrowly defined non-military weapon types would be authorized. Barring an individual from having any gun at all would not be authorized.

parados wrote:
You mis-characterize and bastardize the words found in the EBR.

That is incorrect. I am pointing out the clear and intended meaning of those words.

parados wrote:
What do you think the right intended?

It intended to ensure that people could own and possess typical infantry weapons, use them to defend their homes, and carry them for self defense when on the road for travel or business.

parados wrote:
You keep changing your argument.

I'm pretty sure that my argument is the same as it was when I first posted in this thread.

parados wrote:
Is it a right to defend oneself in the home as the court cases you quoted?

Yes. The right allows people to keep guns in their homes and use them for self defense.

parados wrote:
Is it a right to carry arms openly in public?

Yes. People have the right to carry guns when going out singly or in a small party for purposes of travel or business.

The government is allowed to set restrictions against carrying guns in certain public locations however.

parados wrote:
Is it a right to have standard infantry weapons which you have never presented a court case that says that?

That is one valid interpretation. As I said, I have in the past been a proponent of that interpretation. (In truth it is the interpretation that most adheres to the intention of the right.)

As I said though, currently I favor a different interpretation where militiamen have the right to keep all sorts of military weaponry (Stinger missiles, etc) at home, and non-militiamen have the right to have guns that are suitable for self defense.

If you want a court case that mentions the focus on infantry weapons, have a look at the Miller ruling by the US Supreme Court in the late 1930s.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/307/174.html

parados wrote:
Do you ever stop to consider how you contradict yourself? Read your statement again. Then go back and read some of your previous arguments?

I am confident that I am not contradicting myself.

parados wrote:
If only you would rely on the legal and historical record instead of making up meanings.

I am confident that you cannot indicate a single thing that I have ever falsified.
oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 03:48 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
That assumption may not be warranted.

Those judges were part of the same culture that spawned the right, and were from a time just after the right was created.

I think there is a good argument to be made that they were better able to interpret it than anyone today can do.

joefromchicago wrote:
More to the point, your interpretation of their interpretation of the EBR may not be accurate.

Perhaps. I'll have to see if anyone can poke any holes in my interpretation of their interpretation.

joefromchicago wrote:
I think that is what parados is trying to get across to you.

I recall that he once made an issue of one of my quotes being a judge's jury instructions, but I was unable to see how that made the judge's interpretation of the right invalid.

joefromchicago wrote:
There is no shortage of books on the Glorious Revolution. The time for you to read up on that event may have been before you started forming conclusions about that event.

I haven't formed any conclusions about the event. Unless I misspoke, I phrased my comments as speculation and openly acknowledged that it could very well be wrong.

I'm still not able to perceive how it would damage my position even slightly if it is true that they intended non-Protestants to be disarmed.

joefromchicago wrote:
Because?

Because it seems possible to me that they could have just been trying to remedy the injury to Protestants without causing reciprocal injury to non-Protestants.

As I said, maybe that is wrong. But it seems possible based on the data that I currently have about the era.

joefromchicago wrote:
Would any such argument sway you?

It depends. If the argument contained something that I felt was factually or logically erroneous, that seemed relevant and able to undermine the conclusion, I would challenge the perceived error.

I would find it difficult to challenge solid facts and sound logic however. Exposing a fatal flaw in my position would compel me to abandon it and adopt a different position.
parados

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 06:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Good grief. Whether I'm explaining what the law says or explaining what a right says, I'm still explaining what words mean.
No, you aren't explaining what the words mean. You are making up meanings and giving us your opinion and demanding we accept those beyond the normal meanings found in any court ruling or English dictionary.

The EBR says this:
Quote:
That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;

"Arms" does not refer to guns alone. "Suitable to their conditions" means not all arms are allowed for everyone but those arms have to relate to who they are, where they live, etc. "Allowed by law" means those arms that they can legally have under the law even laws passed at later dates. If a type of arm is not allowed the right still exists if other arms are allowed.

That means that even if all guns are banned but they can still have pikes and knives then they right would still exist since pikes and knives are arms.

Quote:
However people in England no longer have a right to have guns, that right having been repealed in 1920. If the government there wishes, it can prevent individuals from having guns.

So if 2 million Englishmen still have guns that means none of them have guns? Your argument that they have no right to have guns is nonsense. They have guns. They merely have to follow regulations in order to have guns. You have already admitted that regulation is OK. Now you are continuing to argue that regulation means they have no rights. It's nonsense on your part.

Quote:
The authorization of rules for governing the possession of guns was not authorization for barring individuals from possessing any gun.
More nonsense from you. You completely ignore the words of the right granted to them. Let me repeat it to you.
Quote:
Quote:
That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;
If the law no longer allows a type of arm it doesn't mean the right went away. The right still exists exactly as written. The problem you are having is you are arguing that the right granted in 1689 was something you made up rather then the exact words as written.
parados

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 09:00 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Let's look at your logic and facts.
You claim that the right to carry guns was granted in 1689.
Quote:
The right in question was created by the UK and then transmitted to the US as part of English Common Law.
The right was created in 1689.

Repeal has a very real meaning. It means something is revoked. It does not mean amended or changed. It means it goes away completely.

Since the right was created in 1689, it was created by the English Bill of Rights. I have repeatedly posted the sentence granting that right.

Here is a link to the Firearms Act of 1920.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1920/43/pdfs/ukpga_19200043_en.pdf
The only thing the bill repeals is the pistol act of 1903. It says nothing about repealing a right granted in the EBR.

But even more clear when you read the act, it in no way takes away the possibility to have a gun. It places restrictions on owning or possessing a gun by requiring a certificate. It is quite clear that guns can be owned and carried. They are not banned from owning a gun unless designated as such by the local police when a certificate is refused and the court also refuses.

Quote:
That is incorrect. I am pointing out the clear and intended meaning of those words.

No, you are pointing out your interpretation which has nothing to do with the meaning of the words.

Are you really citing US court cases when it comes to British law and rights? Do you expect to be taken seriously when you do that?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 09:08 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I think there is a good argument to be made that they were better able to interpret it than anyone today can do.

On the contrary, that would be a very bad argument.

oralloy wrote:
I haven't formed any conclusions about the event.... Because it seems possible to me that they could have just been trying to remedy the injury to Protestants without causing reciprocal injury to non-Protestants.

And there you are.
oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 11:14 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
No, you aren't explaining what the words mean. You are making up meanings and giving us your opinion and demanding we accept those beyond the normal meanings found in any court ruling or English dictionary.

That is incorrect. I have not made anything up.

I have not offered any opinions. With the exception of a bit of clearly-labeled speculation, I have provided nothing but facts.

While I recommend embracing reality, I certainly don't demand it.

parados wrote:
"Arms" does not refer to guns alone.

True.

But guns (specifically whatever gun is the standard infantry weapon of the day) were what the right was all about, so there is an emphasis on infantry guns within the right.

parados wrote:
"Suitable to their conditions" means not all arms are allowed for everyone but those arms have to relate to who they are, where they live, etc.

For the duration of the right, whatever was the standard infantry weapon of the day was allowed to everyone (or at the worst, was allowed to all Protestants).

parados wrote:
"Allowed by law" means those arms that they can legally have under the law even laws passed at later dates. If a type of arm is not allowed the right still exists if other arms are allowed.

"As allowed by law" meant that the government could provide rules that people had to comply with in their possession of guns. It was not authorization to prevent individuals from having any gun.

parados wrote:
That means that even if all guns are banned but they can still have pikes and knives then they right would still exist since pikes and knives are arms.

That is incorrect. As the right is all about standard infantry guns, a ban on all guns repeals the right.

parados wrote:
So if 2 million Englishmen still have guns that means none of them have guns?

Of course not.

parados wrote:
Your argument that they have no right to have guns is nonsense.

Reality is never nonsense.

parados wrote:
They have guns.

Some of them do. This does not change the reality that they no longer have the right to have guns.

parados wrote:
They merely have to follow regulations in order to have guns.

That is incorrect. The government over there has the power to deny an individual the ability to have guns even if that individual follows regulations.

parados wrote:
You have already admitted that regulation is OK.

I've also pointed out that "regulation that people have to follow in order to possess guns" is not even remotely the same as "barring individuals from having guns no matter what they do".

parados wrote:
Now you are continuing to argue that regulation means they have no rights. It's nonsense on your part.

I have not made such an argument. I have however said that the government's power to deny individuals from having guns means that they no longer have the right to have guns.

Factual statements like this are never nonsense.

parados wrote:
More nonsense from you.

Facts and reality are never nonsense.

parados wrote:
You completely ignore the words of the right granted to them.

That is incorrect. Despite the fact that no one has demonstrated how they are relevant, I have in fact addressed them numerous times.

parados wrote:
Let me repeat it to you.
Quote:

If the law no longer allows a type of arm it doesn't mean the right went away.

"Barring individuals from having any gun" is not even remotely the same thing as "prohibiting a type of gun".

Further, given the right's focus on standard infantry guns, any prohibition against those would be contrary to the right.

parados wrote:
The right still exists exactly as written.

That is incorrect. The right was repealed in 1920.

parados wrote:
The problem you are having is you are arguing that the right granted in 1689 was something you made up rather then the exact words as written.

That is incorrect. I have not made anything up. I have merely explained the factual history of the right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 11:15 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Let's look at your logic and facts.
You claim that the right to carry guns was granted in 1689.

Repeal has a very real meaning. It means something is revoked. It does not mean amended or changed. It means it goes away completely.

Since the right was created in 1689, it was created by the English Bill of Rights. I have repeatedly posted the sentence granting that right.

OK so far.

parados wrote:
Here is a link to the Firearms Act of 1920.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1920/43/pdfs/ukpga_19200043_en.pdf
The only thing the bill repeals is the pistol act of 1903.

The Firearms Act of 1920 also repeals the right to have guns from 1689.

parados wrote:
It says nothing about repealing a right granted in the EBR.

It doesn't have to say anything about it. All a new law has to do in order to repeal an old right is override it with new rules that are contrary to the right.

parados wrote:
But even more clear when you read the act, it in no way takes away the possibility to have a gun. It places restrictions on owning or possessing a gun by requiring a certificate. It is quite clear that guns can be owned and carried. They are not banned from owning a gun unless designated as such by the local police when a certificate is refused and the court also refuses.

Those are gun-banner weasel words. People are not banned unless the police decide to ban them.

parados wrote:
No, you are pointing out your interpretation which has nothing to do with the meaning of the words.

That is incorrect. I am pointing out the clear and intended meaning of the words.

parados wrote:
Are you really citing US court cases when it comes to British law and rights? Do you expect to be taken seriously when you do that?

You wanted a court ruling that mentioned infantry weapons. Off hand that is the only one I can think of. Their logic was sound I think.
oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 11:16 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
On the contrary, that would be a very bad argument.

I disagree.

But if it is a bad argument, then perhaps my position will fail.

The stronger the challenge to my position the better.

If a very strong challenge doesn't harm my position, that testifies to the solidness of my position.

On the other hand, if a challenge demolishes my position, the discovery of the flaw in my position will allow me to construct an even better position.

I believe that my position is invulnerable. Hit it with a nuclear warhead (or the rhetorical equivalent) and it will survive without a scratch.

We'll see how things turn out.

joefromchicago wrote:
And there you are.

Speculation about possibilities in the absence of data is not the same thing as forming a conclusion.

If I had formed a conclusion, instead of saying "maybe this happened although maybe I'm wrong" I would be saying "this is what happened".

I would likely put a lot more time into figuring out what the facts are regarding "non-Protestant arms" if I could envision the question having any impact on my argument. At the moment I cannot see how it would damage my position even slightly if they intended Protestants to be disarmed.