Hillary Clinton Press Conference Clock

maporsche

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 09:08 am
@giujohn,
She did not discuss a drone strike...she was discussing a news report ABOUT drone strikes. That is the extent of the classified information. Discussions about how to handle a news report that was coming out. Anything 'classified' was going public by the press.
Below viewing threshold (view)
maporsche

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 09:36 am
@giujohn,
http://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-emails-in-probe-dealt-with-planned-drone-strikes-1465509863

Yawn.... much ado about nothing
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette2

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 12:27 pm
@maporsche,
They dealt with drones already discussed in the news. Why in the world they classified that I have no idea.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 04:27 pm
Hillary talked to reporters today; I am wondering if this counts as a "press conference?"

Clinton: Trump trying to hide something in his taxes

Quote:
Hillary Clinton, speaking to reporters Tuesday, said Donald Trump "clearly has something to hide" in his tax returns, adding that the GOP presidential nominee is "dead wrong" that Americans don't care about seeing what's in them before voting in November.

"The burden is on him, and indeed for the rest of us in the campaign on our side, the press, the public, to demand what a big majority of the public says they want," Clinton told reporters aboard her new campaign plane. She also said Trump is hiding something and we “are getting better guesses about what it probably is.” The Democratic presidential nominee cited a New York Times report that Trump owes $650 million to foreign banks and entities.

She also blasted her opponent over Trump University, which she said is being sued because "of the way it has scammed so many students." Clinton referenced reports that Trump's charitable foundation had contributed to a group supporting the campaign of Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi as she was deciding whether to investigate allegations of fraud against the university, which she ultimately opted against.

Clinton hit Trump for what she called “the scams, the frauds, the questionable relationships, the business activities that have stiffed workers" in the session with reporters ahead of a campaign rally in Florida.

The appearance marked the second day in a row Clinton wandered to the back of her plane to talk with journalists traveling aboard her plane. Clinton has come under assault from Republicans for shunning the national press corps that travels with her, although the campaign points to hundreds of interviews the candidate has granted.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 05:17 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
A Press conference is when all the Press are invited to ask questions of Hillary in an uncontrolled situation

So if Trump is NOT allowing all the Press to be invited then would that mean he hasn't held a new conference for 410 days?
parados

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 07:41 am
@parados,
Today is day 411 of Trump banning reporters from attending his events.

Day 7 of guijohn failing to explain how his twisted logic makes failing to honor the Constitution the same thing as violating it.

(It appears this would be day 411 of Trump failing to holding a news conference where ALL reporters were allowed to attend which according to guijohn would mean Trump hasn't held a news conference for over 411 days.)
engineer

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 08:06 am
@parados,
I thought this was an interesting article and explains some of Clinton's attitude to the press.

Confessions of a Clinton reporter: The media's 5 unspoken rules for covering Hillary

Each of these are expounded upon in the article, but to hit the main bullets
Quote:
1) Everything, no matter how ludicrous-sounding, is worthy of a full investigation by federal agencies, Congress, the "vast right-wing conspiracy," and mainstream media outlets.

2) Every allegation, no matter how ludicrous, is believable until it can be proven completely and utterly false. And even then, it keeps a life of its own in the conservative media world.

3) The media assumes that Clinton is acting in bad faith until there's hard evidence otherwise.

4) Everything is newsworthy because the Clintons are the equivalent of America's royal family

5) Everything she does is fake and calculated for maximum political benefit

One very interesting quote concerning reporters making a reputation by "collecting scalps" (and Clinton's would be the most valuable scalp out there):
Quote:
One of my former colleagues, a hard-nosed reporter who has put countless political pelts on his wall, once told me that everyone in public life has something to hide. Who goes down in the flames of scandal? The politicians we decide to go after.

That may not be 100 percent true, but it's true enough. The act of choosing, time and again, to go after the same person has the effect of tainting that person, even when an investigation or reporting turns up nothing nefarious — and it's time not spent digging into his or her adversaries. The original source of alleged malfeasance could come from the other party, within a politician's party, or from the reporter's own observations and industrious digging. But two things are crystal clear: If there's no investigation, there's no scandal. And if there's no scandal, there's no scalp.

On some of the more absurd allegations thrown at Clinton
Quote:
In touring the country to promote our book in 2014, my co-author and I were repeatedly lobbied to assert that Clinton is a lesbian. One gentleman pushed the issue during a Q&A at a Barnes and Noble on the Upper West Side of Manhattan — one of the few places you might expect that kind of thing to get a rest.

The National Enquirer published a story in April alleging that Clinton wiped her personal email server clean because it contained references to her lesbian lovers.

Meanwhile, the conservative media are also convinced Clinton is preparing to wage a war on Christianity if she wins the presidency. But one thing revealed in her State Department emails is that Clinton shared daily religious reflections with her friends.

It's not just the out-of-the-box allegations that keep the media machine spun up. A year before Chelsea Clinton got married, Clinton staffers were kept busy by mainstream journalists who were absolutely sure she had already gone through with secret nuptials.

Of course Clinton's avoidance of the press tends to promote their hostility and their hostility tends to encourage her avoidance, so it's pretty much a never ending cycle.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 08:49 am
@parados,
So why is it when I'm asking questions about Hillary not being open to the Press your answer is well how come Trump isn't open to the Press... kind of like when your mother accused you of doing something wrong and your retort was that your friend did the same thing... And then your mother said well if he jumped off a bridge would you jump off a bridge too... So why don't you go jump off a bridge.
parados

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:01 pm
@giujohn,
Pointing out you don't have a standard you apply to everyone equally is not the same thing as wanting to jump off a bridge because you did. Rather it would be pointing out how stupid you are to jump off the bridge.

This was your definition of a press conference you applied to Hillary.
Quote:
A Press conference is when all the Press are invited to ask questions of Hillary in an uncontrolled situation where she is forced to answer those questions not on her terms but I'm the terms of the reporters asking them.

If we use your definition of a press conference (even with the fractured grammar) and apply it equally to Trump then we can clearly see that Trump has not held a press conference for over 400 days. He started banning reporters from attending and asking him questions 411 days ago.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:22 pm
@parados,
Do you recall when candidate Obama kicked reporters off his plane?

http://www.mediaite.com/online/flashback-when-candidate-obama-booted-3-papers-from-his-campaign-plane-nobody-cared/

parados

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:36 pm
@Baldimo,
Having a restricted number of seats on a plane is not the same thing as refusing to let reporters into events that still have many seats left.

The candidate's plane is not a public event as much as the author if that idiotic piece tries to pretend it is. Obama didn't strip the press credentials from reporters when he said they couldn't fly on his plane. They were free to make their own way to every event Obama held and attend it and report on it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 04:57 pm
@parados,
The Salient point of this thread is Hillary... not Trump but Hillary's reluctance to have a proper news conference... Contouring with, "Well, mommy Trump does it to." Is not a cogent argument.
maporsche

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 06:40 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

The Salient point of this thread is Hillary... not Trump but Hillary's reluctance to have a proper news conference... Contouring with, "Well, mommy Trump does it to." Is not a cogent argument.

It's not an argument for why Hillary took so long to talk to the press...it IS an argument why YOU are a hypocrite.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 07:03 pm
@giujohn,
If you want to talk about press conferences, then Hillary had one yesterday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clinton-speaks-briefly-with-press-on-her-new-plane-227737

I wonder if you will agree this is a press conference or will you continue to have a different standard for Hillary than you do for Trump.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 11:36 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
I'm actually at my job...your tax $ at work

My tax dollars support your job greeting at WalMart?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 08:23 am
@parados,
I will agree in the strictest definition that it was a brief press conference... But the interesting portion of that link you posted was how the Press was nervous about how to react and that there was tension evident... That speaks volumes. People are carrying on about how Putin throws his reporters in jail if they disagree with them... And while I can think of several reporters in this country that need to go to jail, in this country the Press is nervous and tense about asking Hillary questions.
parados

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:37 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
the Press is nervous and tense about asking Hillary questions.

And yet it is Trump that has banned reporters and threatened to sue others if they don't write nice things about him. Trump has also threatened to weaken the first amendment if elected.

parados

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 09:38 am
@parados,
Today is day 412 of Trump banning reporters from attending his events.

Day 8 of guijohn failing to explain how his twisted logic makes failing to honor the Constitution the same thing as violating it.