Why Is The US Fighting Assad In Syria?

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 10:32 am
Former D.C. area police officer found guilty of trying to back Islamic State
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/former-dc-area-police-officer-found-guilty-of-trying-to-back-islamic-state/ar-BBGYGBt?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2017 12:44 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Is your desire to take out revenge on the monster Bashar Al Assad worth the lives of:
"The report from the Syrian Center for Policy Research said that at least 470,000 Syrians have died as a result of the war."

Those people were not killed by any effort to get revenge on Assad (or by any other effort to oppose Assad).

Those people were killed by Assad.

TheCobbler wrote:
I wonder what would have happened if we had just left Syria to handle its own crisis instead of dropping bombs on their cities?
What if we had let the Middle East handle its own war?

No need to wonder. That's exactly what we did do.

What happened was: Assad massacred a huge number of innocent Syrians and you posted a bunch of gibberish that tries to excuse that massacre.

TheCobbler wrote:
Are we in the US and Europe really the "moral high ground"?

Yes.

TheCobbler wrote:
Bomb their cities, equip the enemy and reject the refugees...

That's what your buddy Assad is doing. That's not what America is doing.

TheCobbler wrote:
A recipe for disaster and genocide if I ever heard one...

Yes. Your buddy Assad is quite the genocidal monster. You should be ashamed for regurgitating his pro-genocide propaganda.

TheCobbler wrote:
But, but, the Arab spring?
Arab spring! My ass!

In other words, how dare those Syrians ask to live in peace without being murdered by your buddy Assad.

TheCobbler wrote:
Just another US/Euro led war where, incidentally, hundreds of thousands MORE innocent Arab civilians die in the process, oh, so we can take out a "monster"...

The US and EU have nothing to do with the genocidal war that your buddy Assad is waging against the Syrian people.

TheCobbler wrote:
See the pattern?

Yep.

Assad commits genocide. You try to justify Assad's genocide by babbling about an imaginary war. Rinse. Repeat.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 01:24 am
@oralloy,
Orally wrote:
Those people were not killed by any effort to get revenge on Assad (or by any other effort to oppose Assad).

Those people were killed by Assad.

Comment:
"Those people" were killed by our weapons that we gave to the "'rebels" who in turn gave them to ISIS...

They were killed by ISIS usurping land and resources with "our" weapons.

Assad was just defending his soverign territory!

We had to go in and bomb ISIS because they had our weapons... Assad just stood back and watched the carnage wrought by our bumbling forces because we never should have armed the rebels in the first place!
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 09:38 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
"Those people" were killed by our weapons that we gave to the "'rebels" who in turn gave them to ISIS...
They were killed by ISIS usurping land and resources with "our" weapons.

Nope. Those people were killed by your buddy Assad.

TheCobbler wrote:
Assad was just defending his soverign territory!

Assad is deliberately perpetrating a genocide against the people of Syria.

Your support of that genocide is revolting.

TheCobbler wrote:
We had to go in and bomb ISIS because they had our weapons...

We had to go in and bomb Islamic State because they were a terrorist haven from which 9/11 scale attacks could be organized, much like Afghanistan was under the Taliban.

TheCobbler wrote:
Assad just stood back and watched the carnage wrought by our bumbling forces because we never should have armed the rebels in the first place!

Our forces were not bumbling. The bombing of Islamic State military targets was quite effective.

There is no shame in helping genocide victims to defend themselves.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 10:25 am
@TheCobbler,
It's not revenge it's justice. He is a war criminal and should be tried in the Hague, not least to put off any future war criminals.

It wasn't Europe or America that acted in Syria but Russia. Without Russia Assad would have been toppled years ago.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 01:56 am
Facts don't change, the majority of Syrians are Sunnis. Assad has been waging war against the Sunnis. Pretty much every Sunni in Syria will have had someone they love killed by Assad.

Those are the facts, and Assad will not be able to rule a stable Syria with only the support of the Alawite community and few Christians.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 01:47 am
@izzythepush,
So let's kill every Syrian so we can get Assad?

Who are the real criminals?

I would love Assad out of power but who will replace him? ISIS?

So we depose Assad and kill millions of innocent Syrians in the process just to put in place a government even more devilish?

Regrets of a Revolution? Libya After Qaddafi
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/regrets-of-a-revolution-libya-after-qaddafi/

Five years after Gaddafi, Libya torn by civil war and battles with Isis
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/16/libya-gaddafi-arab-spring-civil-war-islamic-state

Libya Today: From Arab Spring to failed state
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/04/happening-libya-today-170418083223563.html

So this is why we armed the rebels so they could arm ISIS so they could kill Assad and create another failed state with civil war?

The Syrians has one enemy before. With Assad gone they would have enemies everywhere. And who gets rich? The military complex. Who should be tried at the Hague? Really...

Call the cat, to kill the fly, call the dog to kill the cat, call the lion to kill the dog, call the bear to kill the lion...

And then what do we do with the bear?

And Assad is not my buddy, but there is much worse than Assad. Trump!

I seem to recall Assad voluntarily giving up WMDs.

Would the "rebels" do that? Would Trump do that?

Would Russia, North Korea, Israel or Iran do that?

Five years after Egypt’s Arab Spring: ‘We didn’t need a revolution’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/10/five-years-after-egypts-arab-spring-we-didnt-need-a-revolution/?utm_term=.4934943c97b9

Egypt's long, bloody road from Arab Spring hope to chaos
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/27/middleeast/egypt-how-we-got-here/index.html

After the Arab spring
The ruining of Egypt
https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21703374-repression-and-incompetence-abdel-fattah-al-sisi-are-stoking-next-uprising

5 Years After the Revolution, Egypt’s a Hell After a Paradise
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/walid-akef-/egypt-revolution-anniversary_b_9081840.html

FIVE YEARS AFTER THE ARAB SPRING, TUNISIA’S GOVERNMENT IS A MESS
http://www.newsweek.com/five-years-after-arab-spring-tunisias-government-mess-416121
izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 03:30 am
@TheCobbler,
You don't understand what is going on, and you're deliberately putting words in my mouth. You have decided that the only problem in the ME is the jihadists, that we should embrace every other player in the region regardless of how repulsive they are just as long as they're anti jihadi.

It didn't work in Cuba when Communists were the bogie men, the ordinary people rose up against the tyranny of Batista. And look how pro America they've been in the intervening years.

You've been told about the industrial scale torture and murder perpetrated by Assad against his own people and you're completely unmoved because they're not American. How do you think that attitude plays across the ME? For all it's fancy words about democracy all Americans care about is oil, wealth and power, and you won't have anyway near as much as that if the ME is democratic.

The support of the moderate Sunni rebels was, like every American action in the ME, ill thought out and under funded. That allowed some funds to be siphoned off to Jihadists and for Putin to portray himself as fighting Jihadis and supporting a legitimate government.

Sunni Muslims are still the majority population in Syria, its attitude towards America is dependent on how Assad is treated, and what you advocate is a recipe for disaster.

Assad, along with other key players, should be charged with war crimes and an extradition warrant issued to make life very difficult for him. Now he won't be extradited right away but it will make foreign travel very hard for him and will keep up the pressure. Sanctions should also be used to freeze bank accounts, stop him using the vast personal wealth hidden in Western bank accounts and stolen from the Syrian people.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 05:50 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
So let's kill every Syrian so we can get Assad?

Not that getting Assad would kill every Syrian (it would probably save Syrian lives in fact), but who exactly is proposing to get Assad?

Certainly not the Trump Administration or the former Obama Administration.

TheCobbler wrote:
Who are the real criminals?

Assad is the real criminal.

TheCobbler wrote:
I would love Assad out of power but who will replace him? ISIS?

I kind of like the Libya model where we just kill the bad guy and leave the people to govern themselves.

TheCobbler wrote:
Regrets of a Revolution? Libya After Qaddafi

I don't like the way Hillary wanted to violate the Second Amendment, but when it comes to Kadaffy she got it right. The Lockerbie victims all rest easier now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXDU48RHLU

TheCobbler wrote:
So this is why we armed the rebels so they could arm ISIS so they could kill Assad and create another failed state with civil war?

We didn't do very much in the way of arming the rebels.

The Syrian people would be better off with a failed state than suffering genocide at the hands of Assad.

TheCobbler wrote:
Who should be tried at the Hague? Really...

Assad should be. Really.

TheCobbler wrote:
And Assad is not my buddy,

You sure seem happy to spread his pro-genocide propaganda.

TheCobbler wrote:
but there is much worse than Assad. Trump!

Nonsense.

TheCobbler wrote:
I seem to recall Assad voluntarily giving up WMDs.
Would the "rebels" do that? Would Trump do that?
Would Russia, North Korea, Israel or Iran do that?

Trump, Russia, and Israel all lawfully possess WMDs.

The rebels didn't have WMDs to begin with.

Iran seems to be giving up their illegal pursuit of WMDs, although time will tell.

North Korea is going to be a problem.

TheCobbler wrote:
Five years after Egypt’s Arab Spring: ‘We didn’t need a revolution’

Says the military dictator that ruthlessly crushed Egyptian democracy.

TheCobbler wrote:
5 Years After the Revolution, Egypt’s a Hell After a Paradise

What would anyone expect of a military dictatorship that brutally suppresses democracy?

TheCobbler wrote:
FIVE YEARS AFTER THE ARAB SPRING, TUNISIA’S GOVERNMENT IS A MESS

Last I heard the Tunisians were doing pretty well for themselves, democracy-wise.

Granted, the progress of Tunisian democracy is not something that I closely follow.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 03:27 pm
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20374448_456558518056827_9116437133541525667_n.jpg?oh=c2bb6a260761f2e48dde3394719584e6&oe=5AB668CF
oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 06:20 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
http://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20374448_456558518056827_9116437133541525667_n.jpg?oh=c2bb6a260761f2e48dde3394719584e6&oe=5AB668CF

So, is she saying that we should sit back and do nothing to protect the Syrian people while Assad commits genocide against them? Or is she saying that we should act to protect the Syrian people from Assad's genocide? Or is she supporting Assad's genocide against the Syrian people by helping to spread his pro-genocide propaganda about an imaginary war against Syria?

Let me guess, it's that last one.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2017 11:55 am
We are Refugee

The bombs they fell
We had to flee
I left my city with my family
We are refugee

We've tried to find a home
No one will take us in
We are without a country
We are refugee

We are just like anyone else
Trying to make a good life
We are not the enemy
We are refugee
We are refugee
We are refugee

Instrumental

Our city is nothing but dust
There is no one we can trust
We live with hunger in poverty
We are refugee

Our neighbors and friends
We may never again see
We call on mercy to hear our plea
We are refugee

Maybe there will be
An end to this indignity
But ‘til the day we are free
We are refugee
We are refugee
We are refugee

RexRed
12/27/2017

http://rexred.com
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:32 am
Gunman’s attack on Christian church in Cairo leaves at least 9 dead
The Islamic State takes responsibility as a man opens fire outside the church, leading to a shootout.
http://www.pressherald.com/2017/12/29/gunman-attack-on-christian-church-in-cairo-leaves-at-least-nine-dead/

"More properly arm the rebels"!!! (cynical)

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:41 am
@TheCobbler,
America never armed any rebels in Egypt, just the military rulers. Most of IS funding is from wealthy individuals in the Gulf.

The reprehensible behaviour of IS does not excuse that of Assad.

Interesting that you post about 9 dead Christians killed by IS, but ignore the 41 Shia they killed two days earlier. Your bias is showing.

Quote:
At least 41 people have been killed and more than 80 wounded in a suicide bomb attack in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

A Shia cultural organisation was the target but the Afghan Voice news agency was also hit. So-called Islamic State said it was behind the attack.

The interior ministry told the BBC an explosion at the Shia centre was followed by at least two more blasts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42500769
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 08:18 am
@izzythepush,
The US armed the rebels who in turn gave these arms to ISIS which has global reach.

I expect, if a = b and b = c then a = c is too much for your brain to handle.
oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 02:33 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
The US armed the rebels who in turn gave these arms to ISIS which has global reach.

You continue to mischaracterize the Obama Administration's arming of the rebels. We did not give them much in the way of weapons. And whatever of our weapons ended up in the hands of Islamic State hardly made any real difference.

In fact, by being involved in arming the rebels, the Obama Administration was able to have a say in what sorts of weapons were provided, and was able to prevent other countries from providing Stinger missiles to the rebels.

The weapons that we provided are of little use to Islamic state in attacking global targets. It would have been far different if we'd not been involved and someone had given them Stinger missiles.

TheCobbler wrote:
I expect, if a = b and b = c then a = c is too much for your brain to handle.

Except a doesn't equal b and b doesn't equal c.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
Abc are all about you can handle, but there's a whole alphabet out there. Like most people who don't understand a complex situation you offer ridiculously simplistic causes and solutions.

If, as you allege, a direct the arms supplied to anti Assad forces by the US are now being used by IS in Cairo there will be some sort of paper trail. You got anything to back up your claims, or is it just you making **** up to fit your preconceptions?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Jan, 2018 08:58 am
Quote:
Twenty-five civilians are reported to have been killed in air strikes on two towns in the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta area outside Syria's capital, Damascus.

The Syria Civil Defence said one of its rescue workers was among 18 people who died when what witnesses identified as Russian jets bombed Misraba.

Another six people died in suspected Russian strikes on Arbin, it added.

Some 400,000 people in the area have been under siege by Russian-backed Syrian government forces since 2013.

Last week, the government permitted Red Cross teams to evacuate 29 critically-ill patients from the Eastern Ghouta as part of a deal that saw rebels release the same number of prisoners.

Hundreds more patients are in urgent need of evacuation from the enclave, where there are only 107 doctors and severe shortages of medical supplies.

The Syria Civil Defence said Russian jets fired "seismic missiles" on residential areas of Misraba overnight, causing several buildings to collapse.

Nine women and two children were among the 18 people killed, it said, adding that the number might rise because some of the injured were in a critical condition.

One of the organisation's volunteer rescue workers - who are commonly known as the White Helmets - died after a "double-tap" strike on one building.

The Syria Civil Defence said two children and two women were among the six people killed in the air strikes on Arbin, and that another three civilians were killed by government shellfire in Beit Sawa.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based monitoring group, put the death toll from the three towns at 23, and also said the warplanes that attacked Misraba and Arbin were believed to have been Russian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42566063
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2018 04:18 pm
Putin Finally Went Too Far
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-finally-went-too-far/ar-BBKM0N5?ocid=spartanntp

My opinion...
Should we be fighting Assad? Militaristically? No. Sanctions? Yes
Should we be fighting Isis? Militaristically? Yes. Sanctions? Yes
Should we be fighitng Russia? Expulsions of diplomats and sanctions? Definitely Yes. Militaristically? That remains to be determined.

We should build up countries militarily that are bordering Russia so they can remain autonomous and free from Putin's scourge. They should be united so if Putin makes a move towards one, they can all counter that move in one united front.
oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2018 04:35 pm
@TheCobbler,
So you finally agree with me and Obama.
0 Replies