Why Is The US Fighting Assad In Syria?

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 08:28 pm
Can someone tell me the reasons why we are arming "rebels" with US military weapons to fight Bashar al-Assad?

Is this part of the "Arab spring" that chased Muammar Gaddafi into the Libyan desert and shot him?

I understand why we are fighting ISIS, but Assad? I do not understand that part of the war.

We are arming rebels to fight Assad and ISIS is showing up with American made weapons... where is ISIS getting these weapons?

I am not sure I agree the war against Assad is worthy of our military involvement, I am not knowledgeable enough about this, so this is why I am asking...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,187 • Replies: 164

seac

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 10:04 pm
@TheCobbler,
If I recall, it has to do with human rights issues and use of chemical weapons on the civilian populace. Assad is also allied with Russia, all the excuse the warhawks in Washington need to condemn his regime and start another war there. Why don't we just leave them alone. The different muslim factions are killing each other rather well, and don't need our help.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 10:13 pm
@TheCobbler,
The US' animosity against Assad dates from the Cold War. It had aspirations of installing a more western oriented government in Syria and took the opportunity, incompetently, that the protests and the ensuing civil war presented to do so. ISIS threw a wrench in the works, as it were.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 02:00 am
@seac,
The tea party is more corrupt than Assad why are we not slaughtering them? lol The tea party has attempted to violate every human right known.

Assad also voluntarily gave up chemical weapons and had we not supported a war against him the refugee suffering, deaths and displacement would not be so egregious.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 03:59 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/13775485_1629390447390379_6906850712532006418_n.jpg?oh=b89b766ad3f723eb8b812ece8571b642&oe=5853166F
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 01:31 pm
@TheCobbler,
I am against any more US involvement in the Middle East. Further meddling will only widen the wars within a war there. I see Assad as a positive mover in the region. He has a vision of modernizing his nation and doing away with traditional images of muslims. Women can dress like the westerners and not be covered up like walking blankets. Opposition to this by ignorant traditionalists is fueling the civil war there. Sad to say , but eventually the conflict will leave the entire country in bombed out ruins. Such is the way of Islam. No matter what help the US can give, the fighting will not end as revenge killings will continue.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 05:41 am
@seac,
I am not necessarily against Assad at this time but I am not against all military involvement in the Middle East. Terrorists states can not be allowed to stand. Terrorists states have human rights atrocities that make Assad look like an angel. I am not sure I am for arming, erm... "rebels"...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 07:54 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/13932916_134986216942515_5155012724726708017_n.jpg?oh=9a1cf9a972b8c7325df675f404fe938e&oe=581EDE25

A bit of humor...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 08:14 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
I am not sure I agree the war against Assad is worthy of our military involvement, I am not knowledgeable enough about this, so this is why I am asking...

What gave you the idea that we are arming people to fight against Assad? Unless there has been a big policy shift during the Olympics (which I doubt), we are doing no such thing.

But Assad is a horrible criminal who has murdered countless innocents in cold blood. If we did choose to oppose him with force, the only reason we would need is "human decency".
TheCobbler

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 05:11 am
@oralloy,
I have not said we are arming people, are we aiding the Syrian rebels? (whatever that means?)

This is a question not a statement.

I think we should be helping Putin and Assad secure and rebuild Syria so the refugees can go home and try and "rebuild". They are much better off in derelict buildings in Syria than huddled in masses like vagrants on city streets throughout Europe and the world. So Assad is corrupt and responsible for human rights deaths. Putin hates gays. Well I got news for you all (being a homosexual myself) sometimes gays can be too aggressive at their recruitment tactics. Putin may have been right in smacking them down a bit. Putin will have to deal with the church once they have created a radical sub culture of terror in Russia. Assassin nuns and monks that will eventually oppose his legitimacy to rule. Putin thinks the church is his friend. He has much to learn about what the church has done to rulers in the past.

What do you think the coalition war in Iraq did? Violently killed a million Iraqis including innocent civilians. Our political leaders are responsible for these human rights atrocities too, these deaths make Assad look like mother Teresa.

I am not making any claims I am just wondering why we are not helping Assad rebuild his war torn country. I would rather see Assad run Syria than "rebels". Assad we know, rebels are a complete unknown... How do we know these rebels won't turn Syria right over to ISIS? There is a REALLY good possibility they would. It might be in our better interest to oppose these rebels and try and restore Syria's borders.

Assad also was known for allowing western customs into his country too.

It is said that Saddam violently killed 100 thousand people. Well, America and our worldwide coalition went in and violently killed a million. Million!

I am not making judgments but it is perhaps time to help Syria restore order.
They are much better off with Assad as Iraq was perhaps better off with Saddam (who knows).

I don't care about the "Arab spring", we liberated Iraq from their self proclaimed king and the population voted in the most draconian sects of their religion.

These kings and royals are better for the Middle east than democracy is until they can educate their masses with science over religion.

Secular schools are the only way forward towards peace in the Middle East.

Bush totally blew it when he secured Iraq, he should have demanded a change in the education hierarchy.

When we defeated Japan and Germany we deposed the royals/rulers and demanded they change their societal structure.

Bush just left the country to slip rigth directly back into their old ways.

This was the most a egregious of all errors.

Oh "we must not step on their religious freedom" poppyfuckingcock!
New secular text books should have been written and the religious clerics should have been marginalized to Sunday school only.

Bush let the Iraqi church waltz right back into the state.

The same mistake was done in Libya and Egypt. People brainwashed by religion vote for people like Trump... Consider that.

This why we live in a republic rather than a democracy in the US. The founding fathers knew what mob/rebel rule could lead to.

This is why we have super delegates too.

This is why we have high courts and this is also why the president can declare marshal law. Because we are a republic bound by our secular constitution at all costs, even at the cost of democracy.

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2016 09:54 pm
Libyan forces say they capture mosque, prison from Islamic State in Sirte
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/libyan-forces-say-they-capture-mosque-prison-from-islamic-state-in-sirte/ar-BBvSYuN?ocid=spartandhp
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 01:20 am
Iraq executes 36 men convicted in ISIS massacre of hundreds of soldiers
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/08/21/iraq-executes-36-men-convicted-in-islamic-state-massacre.html
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 01:22 am
Prominent Iraqi cleric issues decree against anti-LGBT violence
http://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/08/19/prominent-iraqi-cleric-issues-decree-anti-lgbt-violence/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2016 08:54 am
Iran says Russian use of air base for Syria strikes over 'for now'
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-russia-iran-idUSKCN10X0QP

THANK YOU!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2016 11:21 am
@seac,
seac wrote:

I see Assad as a positive mover in the region.

Like Saddam Hussein and Hitler were positive movers?

Quote:
The torture victims of Bashar al-Assad's most infamous prison

Thousands of photographs of torture and execution in regime custody present 'damning evidence' of crimes against humanity, Human Rights Watch says

Nine hundred and 50 days after his disappearance, the corpse of 14 year old Ahmad al-Musalmani was found in the Syrian regime’s catalogue of death.

The images of murder in custody, taken by a former Syrian military photographer known only as Caesar, were posted online last year in the hope that some of the 11,000 bodies photographed in Damascus military hospitals between 2011 and and 2013 might be identified.

As a testament to private mass murder in the twenty first century, Caesar’s images were unlike anything the world had seen. Eyes had been gouged and limbs drilled right through. Most astonishingly of all, each crime had been awarded its own serial number. But none carried names.

Today, Human Rights Watch has identified 19 of those victims for the first time, shedding light on the conditions endured by detainees in at least five government-run detention centres which are thought to have held at least 117,000 people since anti-regime protests broke out in March 2011.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/12053991/The-torture-victims-of-Bashar-al-Assads-most-infamous-prison.html

Why do you think IS was able to gain traction in the region?
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 06:54 am
@izzythepush,
Was the US and Europe positive movers when we used mustard gas, carpet bombs and agent orange on North Vietnamese and Cambodian civilians?

Was dropping nuclear bombs on a civilian cities in Japan a "positive mover"?

Should the US and Europe be bombed out of existence like we are doing to Assad (and Saddam) for having used such extreme tactics? We were the ones who sold these chemical to Assad and Saddam.? Our congresses approved the sales...

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

People do crazy things when faced with total annihilation.

We need to band with Assad and Russia (as distasteful as it may seem) and rid Iraq and Syria of ISIL and let bygones be bygones. Forgive and forget.

How about our assignation coup in Chile? Henry Kissinger still lives and breathes at 93yo...

Do the US and other western countries and entities deserve to exist after such atrocities perpetrated in the past in the name of "progress"?

Time to stop pointing fingers and deal with the real threats to the world.

Assad did willfully give up his chemical weapons while we in the US and our allies still have stockpiles of the stuff. Why, if using it is so "unethical"?

We don't have prisons for terrorists because most of them are dead, killed violently on the battlefield, obliterated by our bombs...

ISIL gained access to the region because the US and our allies forced Assad out and ISIL took advantage of the vacuum we facilitated.

Many of Syria's military are dead because we armed rebels to kill them.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:01 am
@TheCobbler,
You leave us out of Vietnam. That was nothing to do with us.

You speak as if it's all down to America and Russia. It's not. This is not an American backed venture like Chile, this is a popular uprising against Assad. It would have succeeded as well were it not for foreign interference. Why do you think you can tell those same people to 'forgive and forget?'

Here's a bit of Realpolitik for you, the rebels will not agree a peace that keeps Assad in power. If a peace is imposed there will be another uprising. There's already a **** ton of weapons in Syria and there's a siege mentality. Assad cannot deliver peace regardless of how forgiving America feels.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:12 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy wrote: You leave us out of Vietnam. That was nothing to do with us.

Comment:
Ummm, you might reconsider that last statement Izzy. Smile

Britain’s Secret Support For US Aggression: The Vietnam War
https://markcurtis.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/britains-secret-support-for-us-aggression-the-vietnam-war/

Also
The rebels have no track record on how they would govern either.

What if the rebels do depose Assad and put ISIL in charge?

Is ISIL better for democracy and the Syrian people than Assad?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:49 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
What if the rebels do depose Assad and put ISIL in charge?

Is ISIL better for democracy and the Syrian people than Assad?

That's a question only someone very ignorant of the region could ask. The FSA would not put IS in charge, and there's also all the other Islamist factions who don't necessarily see eye to eye with IS. There's also the Kurds Turkmens and other minorities before you even consider the Christians and the Allawites who Assad represents.

You don't seem to grasp the complexity of the situation, it's either or with you.

Britain's support of a cold war ally is nothing compared to the savage butchery America perpetrated in Vietnam.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 12:40 pm
@izzythepush,
Democracy puts leaders in charge and if the deluded, brainwashed population votes for ISIL then that is what we get.

Then we can say in the west, "damn, that was a really stupid war..."

We have large portion of people in the US voting for Donald Trump, don't tell me it doesn't happen.

I respect you Izzy and a value your opinion also realizing we are on the same team. Smile