US Launches Airstrikes in Libya Targeting ISIS

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:30 pm
US Launches Airstrikes in Libya Targeting ISIS

Quote:
U.S. warplanes hit the ISIS stronghold of Sirte in Libya in support of the Tripoli government's efforts to retake the port city, the Pentagon said Monday.

The airstrikes were authorized by President Barack Obama on the recommendation of Defense Secretary Ashton Carter and Joint Chiefs Chairman Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement.

The release didn't describe the duration of the strikes, the type of aircraft used or whether they were land- or carrier-based.

The airstrikes were requested by the Libyan Government of National Accord, which is based in Tripoli and is supported by the United Nations, according to the statement. The strikes were aimed at defeating ISIS "in its primary stronghold in Libya," it said.

Efforts to retake Sirte have bogged down in recent weeks, and the U.S. will provide additional airstrikes to oust ISIS from the city, the statement said.

"GNA-aligned forces have had success in recapturing territory from ISIL thus far around Sirte, and additional U.S. strikes will continue to target ISIL in Sirte in order to enable the GNA to make a decisive, strategic advance," the statement said, using another acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

"These actions and those we have taken previously will help deny ISIL a safe haven in Libya from which it could attack the United States and our allies," it added.

ISIS established its primary north African base in Sirte last year, taking advantage of political upheaval in Libya following the ousting of ruler Moammar Gadhafi.

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm listening, but want to reread what I posted on the earlier Libya episode, and consider what I think now. I'm no Isis fan but I'm not all so sure airstrikes are a great idea. Also not so sure they aren't a great idea.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
We created the power vacuum that made it a failed state, I think we have the obligation to help the when ISIS moved into the vacuum.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'm not disagreeing, ]probably agree, but I also think we accumulate more people despising us. Or maybe not. How we do our power helping interests me.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 06:28 pm
It seems like we have created the world's bogeymen each time we make a realpolitik move in this world, and it seems like we should have learned this by now.

Look more closely at Syria. We are the bad guy.

I can't imagine either of the horrific presidential candidates left holding the reins of Syria or Libya.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2016 03:52 am
@Lash,
Says the person who voted twice for Dubya. You should have learned after the illegal invasion of Iraq, no WMDs, no link to 9/11 and no vision for what would come post Saddam. Yet after that debacle you still gave him your vote.

If you really look at Syria you'll realise it's not one big homogenous entity. Along with the Allawites, Sunnis, Shias, Kurds and Christians there's all sorts of other groups: Yazidis, Druze, Ismailis, Twelvers, Armenians, Assyrians, Syriacs, Circassians, just to name a few.

They don't all see America as the bad guy, far from it, a lot aspire to Western democracy and want more Western involvement.
Lash

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 07:16 am
@izzythepush,
I did learn, obviously. Why didn't you?

I'm well aware of the varied groups and alignments. We are so worried about trying to effect a weak Iran in the region, we've been impeding others' fight against ISIS. Of course, then we pay off Iran for hostages...

A lot of US money and arms are being thrown in this situation stupidly with no clear goal.

We empower criminals who rise up to slaughter is and others. We should reduce our involvement to humanitarian efforts under the auspices of the effing seemingly useless UN. Isn't this their deal? Wtf are they doing?
Lash

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 07:22 am
An easy-to-read primer. http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syria-civil-war-barack-obamas-policy-has-utterly-failed-and-left-him-looking-less-effectual-on-the-a6872506.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 08:03 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I did learn, obviously. Why didn't you?

I'm well aware of the varied groups and alignments. We are so worried about trying to effect a weak Iran in the region, we've been impeding others' fight against ISIS. Of course, then we pay off Iran for hostages...

A lot of US money and arms are being thrown in this situation stupidly with no clear goal.

We empower criminals who rise up to slaughter is and others. We should reduce our involvement to humanitarian efforts under the
auspices of the effing seemingly useless UN. Isn't this their deal? Wtf are they doing?

Only Hillary is allowed to evolve, didn't you know?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 08:15 am
@Lash,
You didn't learn obviously. You voted for Dubya after the invasion. I was against the war from the off. It was obvious it was bullshit right from the beginning.

The only thing obvious about you is that your liberalism is ersatz. You're not fooling anyone.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 08:18 am
@edgarblythe,
I'm not a Clinton supporter, I'm not even an American. I do see how dangerous a Trump presidency will be. It will be catastrophic, especially for those of us this side of the Atlantic who have to deal with the consequences of American imperialism.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
I was against both Iraq wars and the ones to follow, from the beginning. I have been telling acquaintances and friends for as long as I remember that the western powers don't ever know what they are doing in that part of the world.

I have never defended Trump in any serious way. Clinton either, for that matter.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
You're not Lash. I know you're genuine and I have a lot of respect for your principled position.

Lash is a rightwinger who latched on to Sanders because she thought he could not win. For every one of her anti Trump posts there's ten anti Clinton ones.

While you and I were marching against the war she was voting Republican.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
You cannot judge a person's right to change. I voted for Reagan - once. Biggest mistake in my voting history.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2016 12:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know bullshit when I hear it. You voted for Reagan once, she's a dyed in the wool Republican, and I just don't buy it. Especially her faux enthusiasm for Jeremy Corbyn when she doesn't know the first thing about him or the Labour party.
Lash

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 08:57 am
@izzythepush,
You like US military cock-ups just fine when Democrats are responsible for them.

Izzy cred on moral high ground re screwy US military intervention: evaporated.

NEXT!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 09:02 am
@izzythepush,
Why in hell would a right winger want Bernie to win? He polls better against Trump than Clinton.

You are nonsensical; and you and your crew of Clinton apologists will say anything to discredit someone who calls the American democrat establishment on their ****. You really want to try to sell the mindless story that politics is the good party vs the bad party.

They are BOTH eating our lunch and snickering at us. Stop helping them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 09:21 am
Horrible news today from people on the ground in Syria. It's being described as The Stalingrad of Syria. They say imagine the Yin and Yang symbol of fighters; the siege has snowballed into two pushing masses.

Or two guys choking one another.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 09:32 am
For Twitterists wanting insiders to read:
Ian56789
IvanSidorenko1
Hamosh84
AlArabiyaEnglish
HassanRidha
RTAmerica. Yes, they have some good pieces. Filter.
KyleWOrton

The siege was thought to have been broken today, but it's on again.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2016 09:36 am
@izzythepush,
Explain neoliberalism.

Oh yeah, that's right. I made up the term, per you. How about discussing issues and stop being the Donald Trump on the thread, attacking messengers of information you don't like.

This is an important topic.
0 Replies