Red Mercury makes a comeback

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:05 am
The New York Times has an article about the hoax substance which first surfaced in 1979 and was widely discussed in the media in the 1990s. Apparently an Isis commander had been trying to obtain some. Older people will remember the stories about how it could be used to make terrifyingly powerful miniature nuclear devices, e.g. a neutron bomb "the size of a sandwich bag". The general verdict was that red mercury is a kind of unobtainium, arms traffickers' marvelous elixir, a lure, the central prop of a confidence game designed to fleece ignorant buyers. Possible scam victims in the 1990s are alleged to have included Osama Bin Laden and the Tamil Tigers. The current version of the scam involves a variant called "spiritual mercury" known since Roman times, and obtained from ancient tombs (I kid you not!). I wonder if the scam was operated by greedy con artists posing as arms dealers, or whether state players such as intelligence agencies hoped to glean useful information. Whichever, it is an interesting development. I am reminded of the women in Chechnya who conned Isis out of travel money by pretending to be impoverished jihadi bride wannabees. (As they say, all's fair in love and war).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/magazine/the-doomsday-scam.html?_r=0

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,724 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 03:33 am
It could be a psy-op designed to make Isis look ridiculous.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:13 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Ill sell my major stash of red mercury. Its gonna cost though. Send me your credit card information . Ill deliver it by drone.
farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
Lookee here buyers. This is somatha bestass red Hg you can get your paws on.
    http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/mineralmuseum/50231de2.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Ill sell my major stash of red mercury. Its gonna cost though. Send me your credit card information . Ill deliver it by drone.

I'm not at all sure I like the sound of that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:34 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I remember hearing a story about a rush to buy old singer sewing machines because it was rumoured they contained red mercury or something similar.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:07 pm
Let's hope they knock themselves out looking for it. Lord knows there are enough foul substances that actually exist and which they, conceivably, can get their hands on.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 01:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One can make a nice return on selling "red mercury" to the jihadijits.

Tell em that they just need to believe in Allah and itll work.

I only saw one sample of the real stuff in my life. When Tes started this thread I looked in my puter files and found that it was from Thuringia Germany. (I have no idea where that is)

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
I seem to remember it as a name of a salami type food.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2015 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Aha!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuringian_sausage

Make of that what you will..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 02:00 am
Thuringia, a well-forested state in Germany, is located in the east-central part of Germany. Bach was from Thuringia. He didn't hang around.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2015 05:52 am
@Setanta,
Thanks. According to my notes the U mining areas of Thuringia were where the actual"red mercury" mineral, coccinite, was from. The only problem is that it has none of the properties that our Jihadi Jerks seem to believe in.
0 Replies