Why Is The US Fighting Assad In Syria?

oralloy

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:32 am

Bad news. Probably nothing that can be done to stop it from happening though.

Quote:
One consequence of the latest diplomatic failure may be that Gulf Arab states or Turkey could step up arms supplies to rebel factions, including shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles, something the United States has largely prevented until now.

One U.S. official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss American policy, said Washington has kept large numbers of such man-portable air defense systems, or MANPADS, out of Syria by uniting Western and Arab allies behind channeling training and infantry weapons to moderate opposition groups while it pursued talks with Moscow.

But frustration with Washington has intensified, raising the possibility that Gulf allies or Turkey will no longer continue to follow the U.S. lead or will turn a blind eye to wealthy individuals looking to supply MANPADS to opposition groups.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-usa-idUSKCN11W2NN
0 Replies

sky123

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 12:16 pm
@nimh,
Iranians don't fight in Syria for Assad. They fight for their own security.
If they didn't stop ISIL and those murderers that your country calls them moderate, sooner or later, their next target was Iran and they had to fight them inside their borders.
That is why US is behind anti-Assad groups in Syria.
It's been a serious question in my mind that this America that now talks about the glory of democracy and a peaceful solution for Syria, is the one that was silent when torrents of Saudi dollars poured toward ISIL.
Poor ISIL...! They were nothing more than a toilet paper. After being used, it's time to throw them into trash bin and have a prestigious snobbery in front of the cameras.....
Iranians are used to see such trickeries from US. In the war that Saddam imposed against Iran, as long as Iran was on the defensive side and Saddam was going forward into their borders there were no sign of American democracy! (with do respect call it trickery), but soon after they took the control of the war and put Saddam on the defensive, those western countries started to talk about the necessity of peace!!! (What a tricky world we are living in..)
Quote:
His regime has killed more people than ISIS (or the rebels)
noting that I'm not pro-Assad at all, we both need to update our data.

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 01:01 am
Considering the latest revelations of Russia meddling in our democratic election and launching cyber warfare using WikiLeaks it has become abundantly clear to me why we are opposing Assad and Putin.

I just wanted to know why and now I do.

Putin may hope Russia does to meet the same fate that Syria has undergone.

Maybe the Russian people will soon tire of their war mongering dictator.

Putin thinks his neighbors care about his politics... they are setting him up for a great fall.

Iran and China etc... would love a piece of Russia...

Just like Russia took parts of Germany after the great war consider this as a winning strategy today with Russia's neighbors.

The spoils of war do seem enticing when they belong to your immediate neighbor.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 03:59 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Iran and China etc... would love a piece of Russia...

Where did that come from? Iran is a close ally of Russia's. Clearly you don't have a clue about what's going on in the ME which is why you spout such uninformed horseshit.

And I'm sorry, but it is horseshit, you need to educate yourself on what's happening over there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26116868
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:23 am
@izzythepush,
I am aware Russia and Iran are in cahoots but they are also like fire and ice.

One is Russian orthodox Christian and the other is a strict form of Shiite Islam.

Close allies??? HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Iran would love as piece of Russia and so would every one of Russia's neighbors.

You don't call your allies infidels or Islamic devils....

Remember Russia took a large part of German territory in the war with Germany.

The west is more friendly to Islam than Russia considering we have millions of Islamic people living peacefully within our borders (except for a few radicals).

Unlike Russia who not more than a year or two ago was bombing Islamic settlements with their own borders.

YOU need to study the history more.

Deadliest High Profile Terrorist Attacks In Russia (Photos)
https://www.rt.com/news/322495-deadliest-terrorist-attacks-russia/

Suddenly they are best buddies right? Wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:29 am
@TheCobbler,
You don't seem to understand the difference between Shia and Sunni. That would be a good place to start.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:42 am
KGB Reportedly Gave Arab Terrorists a Taste of Brutality to Free Diplomats
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-01-07/news/mn-13892_1_soviets

The Hezbollah, or Party of God, (also HizbAllah or Hizbullah) is an Iranian movement formed at the time of the Iranian Revolution to assist the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and his forces in consolidating power.

Close allies? LOL

Sure the West is at odds with Iran in some ways but so is Russia and we don't have Iran directly on our border.

The US also has a thriving and "free" Islamic population unlike Russia which has a population that is even more radically against Islam than the US thanks to Putin's long standing Donald Trump style of racist, religiophobe rule.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 06:50 am
@izzythepush,
Yes I do understand the difference... I have for years. I don't even have to look the terms Shiite and Sunni up. I don't even ever get confused between the two factions of Islam.

Please stop assuming I am not educated in Middle East affairs.

I don't know everything but I do know quite a bit.

Shiite has historically been the more radical of the two aside from ISIS.

My country has been at war for the last 20 years that I can recall.

That was when my education "started"...

To call Russia and Iran "allies" is a joke.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:05 am
@TheCobbler,
I'm not assuming everything, I'm going by what you posted. What does the downing of a Russian airliner in Egypt or a terrorist attack by Chechens in Russia have to do with Iran?

If you know the difference between Sunni and Shia why do you use incidents of Sunni terrorism to back up your claim that (Shia) Iran and Russia aren't really allies?

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:07 am
I might also mention that the US has been a source for freedom and liberation in the Middle East while Russia has been a negative force that subdues human rights including religious and I am sure Iran does not take much favor in that idea of being subdued by a Christian orthodox neighbor with a fascist dictator.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
It's called history Izzy... Iran (Shiite) and Russia also have a history of conflict as do the Sunnis.

I posted the link.

Russians sent the gonads of their Iranian hostages to Iran...

Sound like allies?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:14 am
@TheCobbler,
Mentioning **** is a lot easier than answering a question.

America is a source of freedom and liberation? You might want to tell the Houthi rebels in Yemen that.

America has consistently propped up the most repressive regime in the ME, Saudi Arabia, a country where women aren't even allowed to drive. It destabilised Iraq leading to the spread of Jihadists throughout the region and it supports the persecution of the Palestinians.

A source of freedom and liberation? You really are having a laugh.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:16 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Russians sent the gonads of their Iranian hostages to Iran...

Sound like allies?

Sounds like bollocks. Got a source for that, or was it just some geezer down the pub that told you.

We have History, real History, yesterday was the 950th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.
TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:17 am
@izzythepush,
They fired at us, oh your forgot to mention that.

Yes I watch the news too.

I probably learned of it before you did.

Liberate Ireland then laugh.

Isolate yourself from the European union then laugh...
izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:21 am
@TheCobbler,
You really are ignorant. Liberate Ireland? It is bloody liberated, the South is independent, and the North is autonomous. If you knew anything about Ireland you would know that the majority of people living north of the border want to stay in the UK.

Still no source for your ridiculous assertions.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 07:23 am
@izzythepush,
I posted this above please learn to click on links.

KGB Reportedly Gave Arab Terrorists a Taste of Brutality to Free Diplomats
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-01-07/news/mn-13892_1_soviets

I guess you don't know how to click on links

JERUSALEM — The KGB has adopted novel, brutal and apparently effective methods of dealing with terrorists who attack Soviet interests in the Middle East, an Israeli newspaper reported Monday.
The Jerusalem Post said the Soviet secret police last year secured the release of three kidnaped Soviet diplomats in Beirut by castrating a relative of a radical Lebanese Shia Muslim leader, sending him the severed organs and then shooting the relative in the head.
The incident began when four Soviet diplomats were kidnaped last September by Muslim extremists who demanded that Moscow pressure the Syrian government to stop pro-Syrian militiamen from shelling rival Muslim positions in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli.
The militiamen, the Jerusalem paper said, did not cease their attacks, and the body of one of the Soviet diplomats, Arkady Katkov, was found a few days later in a field in Beirut.

The KGB then apparently kidnaped and killed a relative of an unnamed leader of the Shias' Hezbollah (Party of God) group, a radical, pro-Iranian group that has been suspected of various terrorist activities against Western targets in Lebanon.
Parts of the man's body, the paper said, were then sent to the Hezbollah leader with a warning that he would lose other relatives in a similar fashion if the three remaining Soviet diplomats were not immediately released. They were quickly freed.
The newspaper quoted "observers in Jerusalem" as saying: "This is the way the Soviets operate. They do things--they don't talk. And this is the language Hezbollah understands."
Six Americans, missing for up to two years, are presumed to be kidnaping victims in Lebanon.

Allies?
perennialloner

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:43 am
@TheCobbler,
Um, you do realize that happened before the fall of the Soviet Union. Since the fall of the USSR, Iran-Russia relations have dramatically changed. They wouldn't have been considered allies in 1986.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 08:59 am
@izzythepush,
I'm rereading this thread, and agree with you completely so far, except for this -
"Americans never let their ignorance of a topic get in the way of having a strong opinion."
Your generalizations about 325 million people are annoying. Try adding the word some, eh?
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 09:00 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Considering the latest revelations of Russia meddling in our democratic election and launching cyber warfare using WikiLeaks it has become abundantly clear to me why we are opposing Assad and Putin.

Define opposing. The Obama Administration certainly has no intention of allying with Assad. But the Obama Administration is NOT taking military action against Assad.

The reason why we want nothing to do with Assad is because he is actively perpetrating genocide against the Syrian people.

The reason why we are NOT taking military action against Assad is because Mr. Obama has concluded (correctly I believe) that unless the US went all in with a full-scale ground invasion, our military action would not do anything to improve the situation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 09:27 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

They fired at us, oh your forgot to mention that.

Saudi Arabia is conducting a brutal war against the majority Houthi population, America is financing it. The Houthis didn't fire at America until after a funeral was bombed, action which was condemned by the UN.

The Houthis had every right to fire back at those supplying their oppressors.
0 Replies