Language and Propaganda - an example

Blickers

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 11:19 am
@georgeob1,
The fact that you disagree with the inclusion of Darwin on the list of books to be burned doesn't mean you still aren't endorsing the book burning party.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:00 pm
What is unquestionably written was your endorsement of a group of conservative writers lumping books by Freud, feminist pioneer Betty Friedan, John Maynard Keynes and the Kinsey Report along with books by Marx and Hitler as the Top Ten Most Harmful Books Ever Written. You would spare Darwin, though, so I guess that means you're not entirely gone.
blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Re: McGentrix (Post 6312207)
McGentrix wrote:

While I understand why you do it, could you stop posting links as bit.ly links? I think it's a bad habit for people to become accustomed to clicking such links but unless I can hover over a source and see where it is actually leading me I will not follow them. People should never follow blind links.

exactly

I don't get this. Does anyone here think I'd disguise a link to something ugly?
blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:29 pm
Landing in our "har de har har" folder this afternoon:
Quote:
"My personal belief and nothing has been decided yet. I would [move through] and repeal [the ACA]and then go to work on replacing," McCarthy said. "I think once it is repealed you will have, hopefully, fewer people playing politics."
[/b] http://bit.ly/2gCZKqZ
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:30 pm
@blatham,
It's a general rule. I don't follow links when I can't see where it's going beforehand - and I mean that I can see it by hovering over the link.

I'm not following a blind link from anyone and tell people exactly what McG said - People should never follow blind links.

It's easy enough to offer shortened links here (and still let people see what sites they are going to).

I know this concern isn't new to you. I've seen ossob mention it to you several times.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:36 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

What is unquestionably written was your endorsement of a group of conservative writers lumping books by Freud, feminist pioneer Betty Friedan, John Maynard Keynes and the Kinsey Report along with books by Marx and Hitler as the Top Ten Most Harmful Books Ever Written. You would spare Darwin, though, so I guess that means you're not entirely gone.

No you've got it wrong again. I said that I found such lists and, as well such sweeping judgments as Blatham (and now you) are making to be non productive, (i.e. useless and delivering no particulat benefit to anyone). It is simply an observable fact that the great majority of the books listed from Lenin and Marx to Keynes and Erlich's Population Bomb have been proven bu history to be wildly inaccurate and fallacious. I exempted Darwin because, though arguments persist, his work has been proved accurate and as providing relaicble predictions.
blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It's easy enough to offer shortened links here (and still let people see what sites they are going to).

And how is that done?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:41 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It is simply an observable fact that the great majority of the books listed from Lenin and Marx to Keynes and Erlich's Population Bomb have been proven bu history to be wildly inaccurate and fallacious.
The list was about the "Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries" not, if they were wildly inaccurate and fallacious.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:52 pm
@blatham,
See that nice URL button above the reply box (if you've got BBCode Editor open - if not , click on that first)

click on the URL

you'll get this

[url][/url]

throw your link inside the first set of brackets with an = (thanks to George from Boston)

[url=live link][/url]

then put a word/phrase/pic/anything in the middle between the brackets

[url=live link]your random stuff[/url]

hit reply (though I used Preview the first few times I did it to make sure I got it right)

this

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154996-d981632-Reviews-Bobby_s_Hideaway-Mississauga_Ontario.html

turns into this

reviews for Bobby's

or maybe

http://www.dine.to/images/logo_bobbyshideaway.gif

(the link is under the photo)

__

you can make it as plain or crazy as you want ... but people can still id where the link is going by hovering over it ... try it ... hover over the Bobby's logo ... you'll see it 's going to tripadvisor

___

it takes me about 5 - 10 seconds to complete the process

Blickers

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 01:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote Walter:
Quote:
The list was about the "Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries" not, if they were wildly inaccurate and fallacious.

Exactly. Lots of books are wildly inaccurate and fallacious, but not harmful. Having far right writers-not just ordinary people, but a movement's supposed intellectuals-lump books they disagree with as being in the same class as Hitler is disturbing.

By the way, what's so bad about Betty Friedan? Are you advocating the barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen approach? Because that was the norm among a vast majority of people at the time she wrote, and that was what she was primarily fighting.
blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 02:01 pm
@ehBeth,
That will work just fine. Thanks you!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 02:11 pm
Brian Beutler is one of my favorite contemporary political writers.
Quote:
The Danger of Doubting Donald Trump's Legitimacy
...And there’s a real upside to allaying their doubts through a recount. In the Trump era, truth will be under enormous strain. Voters of all persuasions will be beset by mass disinformation campaigns meant to eliminate points of consensus that allow open societies to make reasoned public decisions. Liberals should get habituated to driving home inconvenient facts to help people through the constant Orwellian struggle to see what is in front of their noses. Letting widespread doubts about the election fester would make matters worse. Telling people the election was above board without showing them will not help.

The most persuasive, but under-discussed argument in favor of auditing the election in Wisconsin is that it will pull many Americans out from under a penumbra of confusion and propaganda. At least some of the people demanding it will have their faith in the integrity of the election restored; our institutions will be better off; people can focus on resisting Trump the old-fashioned way.

But Trump doesn’t care about this kind of stabilizing dividend. To the contrary, he sees mass disaffection, and the erosion of accepted truths, as a source of political strength.

“By attacking the very notion of shared reality, the president-elect is making normal democratic politics impossible,” the writer Ned Resnikoff explained. “When the truth is little more than an arbitrary personal decision, there is no common ground to be reached and no incentive to look for it.”
Beutler
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 02:30 pm
Also, Walter's tip to McG looks useful, and I saved it. Plus so is your tip, Beth, something I've long known how to do but had forgotten I could use it for these shorties.

http://able2know.org/topic/336473-6#post-6312212 - for Walter's tip

Adds, I don't worry about your stuff, Bernie, but I don't always feel like reading everything.
blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 02:42 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Adds, I don't worry about your stuff, Bernie, but I don't always feel like reading everything.

Yeah, that's what I thought you were trying to tell me. A key reason I used bitly was that it used to (may still) have a function where you could check to see how many others had clicked on your link. That was valuable, if often disappointing. And these days, I can do without further disappointment. Like yesterday when I walked naked past the mirror and forgot to not look.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:03 pm
@blatham,
your link names are cracking me up

good work Smile
roger

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:14 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Are you advocating the barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen approach?

For future use, it's "barefoot in winter; pregnant in summer."
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:15 pm
@blatham,
Still funny man after all these years. Count that as the second time I've laughed today.

Roger's quip not bad either.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 04:21 pm
@Blickers,
I'm so old that I tossed Friedan when I bought the book. Changed my mind shortly afterwards. 1963, a key year for changes by me.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:42 pm
@ehBeth,
thanks for the mentoring.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:47 pm
@blatham,
it was worth it to see what titles you're coming up with Laughing

now I'll be stalking you