Click to save the rainforest (#52 - Down but not out)

Stradee

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:05 pm
oops, tried posting the larger pic of the 'breaching whale' but for some reason the link didn't transfer the larger photo url.

Great photo ehBeth! Hoft, can you transfer the pic you received from c.i.?
0 Replies

wordworker

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:59 am
Something keeps eating my post...and it *isn't* moi!!!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:20 am
wordworker,
It's the "Etherial Myth!" that keeps eating your posts. Sort of a tongue tied explanation?

All clicked.................................

WHERE'S Aa???????
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
woodworker, there's no explaination - just conjecture - kinda like huh?

cool crisp day - n' all clicked
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 08:53 am
and scientists are baffled (?)

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=572318
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:36 am
This is hard to believe - who says orcas can't sue? Please follow this great moment in jurisprudence:

............."If Congress and the President intended to take the extraordinary step of authorizing animals as well as people and legal entities to sue they could and should have said so plainly," Judge William A. Fletcher wrote in an 18-page opinion for the panel.

The lawsuit was brought against Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on behalf The Cetacean Community -- defined as the world's whales, porpoises and dolphins....................................................

Btw, Stradee knows I've been following this sonar debacle from the beginning and the only next step is to have suicide divers put on their scuba gear and suffer brain hemorrhages, same as the orcas, other dolphins, whales - their brains ARE like ours. Will keep you posted!

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=3OXKZBNR1EW3SCRBAEOCFFA?type=scienceNews&storyID=6559365
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:53 pm
Wonder how come I stopped receiving email update notifications? Huh, huh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:57 pm
given the ongoing tweaking happening to the site, anything's possible.

it's getting better every day <can you hear me singing?>
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
sumac,
I received 2 updates last night that said this forum is closed or something like that.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
Hamsters must be stoned again.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
Didn't President Bush say something to the effect that if he had been around at the time he would have opposed the Dred Scott decision by the Supreme Court? Any lawyers here? If the slaves weren't chattels incapable of legal representation, how come he doesn't support having other intelligent creatures represented just as Dred Scott was?
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
What?
0 Replies

just susan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 03:53 pm
Sumac, I lost my updates, too. had to turn them on again-- don't know why.

I clicked.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 04:14 pm
Helen, the only problem with people in the armed forces contacting brain damage from diving at the same time sonar blasts occur, is if the person is injured, they cannot sue the government. We saw what happened with Viet Nam vets suffering from debilitating diseases caused by Agent Orange and god know what else. The government refused taking responsibility after the war, and didn't admit there was a problem until years afterward when many of the vets had either killed themselves or died from the very ailments they were trying to hold the government accountable for.

Now, if you or me happen to be scuba diving at the very moment sonar blasts occur and are injured - then we have a suit. Course, by the time a brief filed and a federal judge consents to hearing the case... well you get the idea.

The only way we can sue the government for killing and destroying whales and dolphins is by granting rights to animals - something we've been attempting to do for many years.

EarthJustice and Defenders of Wildlife are organizations supported and originated by Attorney animal advocates. They have taken the Bush administration to court several times - won a few, lost a few. In the interum, the administration took steps to weaken provisions of The Endangered Species Act. Norton, in the meantime was taking charge
of our wildlands via the Bureau of Land Mangement <and the rest of the crooks at the Department of the Interior were helping to change the Endangered Species Act> The Navy, even though a federal judge halted the sonar blasts, resumed blasting after the study period expired, even though it was proven <as you well know> sonar blasts were killing marine mammals. The good science was rejected in favor of Naval superiority (?) with other nations following the U.S's lead. Even though their are 'districts' where sonar can be used, marine mammals can't read
'don't swim here' signs.

Revisions of the Endangered Species Act
http://forests.org/articles/reader.asp?linkid=33784

We'd need a revised Dredd Scott decision for animals enslaved in factory farms - however, two states have already banned the use of gestation crates, and some companies are refusing to purchase 'product' from suppliers that do not treat farm animals humanely. Venemen was forced to review the use of downed animals for human consumption after the mad cow scare, only because the beef industry was suffering profit losses. Go figure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:03 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,581,336.8 square feet!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:21 pm
ehBeth, what's with the leaderboard? Is there a certain time of day when team stats are posted? Seems each time I click the link, the list isn't visible.

Are we all having a difficult time linking and receiving e mail notifications?

Must be planetary... Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:44 pm
Hey, stradee!

I don't know what's happening with the leaderboard. It comes and goes by whim it seems. I can see our team results when I go 'inside' the aktbird account.

You know how after you click you get a thank you notice. On the same page, it shows your current total - that is where I'm getting the "you and your friends" info for the aktbirds. I get the same info for my little subteam the same way.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:47 pm
I've sent a note to Jeff at care2 customer support. He's answered a couple of other questions, so maybe he'll have time to respond to my question about the leaderboard. <crosses fingers and eyes>
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:49 pm
ehBeth ~ Thanks Smile
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 06:54 pm
hugmark
0 Replies