Click to save the rainforest (#52 - Down but not out)

HofT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:49 am
http://www.orcanetwork.org/news/imagesnews/babies/L-101-_-Bubbles.jpg
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:58 am
More pics of baby orcas at:

http://www.orcanetwork.org/news/babies.html

In the pic I posted, the baby's name is Luna and her mom is called Splash!
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
Beautiful pics, HitT-Helen.
Matrix, dear friend - I'm back in business and all clicked in - thanks a million!
0 Replies

just susan

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:34 am
Right, HofT, but the problem is that now there are humans who depend on the water from those glaciers. Tibetans will probably have to find a new home.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:14 pm
Hi Matrix, feeling much better today - flu replaced with a cold and the meds seem to be working well. Thanks. Smoke cleared replaced with three days of winter storms - thunder and lightening forecasted for the evening hours. Cleared this afternoon for a few hours allowing the cats outdoor activities - and Mr. Will feeling much better, thanks. He's stilll not eating much food yet, waiting for his system to clear - but he is drinking lots of water - a good sign. The little guy sure had me worried!
Couldn't figure out what was wrong with him due to the fact he's got a large inoperable tumor sitting atop his noggin - and descerning what could be the cause of an ailment difficult. He'll be fine now though.

Hi ya Hoft! Great orca pics and info!

Hi Little K and Setanta! good seeing you at the rainforest thread!

justsusan, my god girl! I sure hope the next few months will be lots better for you. Glad your dad's memorial went well, and you're safely at home. Wow, your grandfather one of the lucky ones seeing Alaska
during the 50's. There sure have been significant geological changes since then. NASA's Climate Change data interesting also.

http://gcmd.gsfc.nasa.gov/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:00 pm
clicking clicking clicking
wondering whatever happened to Aa
sure hope she's ok
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:03 pm
flu replaced with a cold? hmmmmm
i guess that's an improvement
i had a run-in with a flu-cold thing in September - i still don't recall everything i did at work on the worst 3 days
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 282 friends have supported 1,579,697.8 square feet!
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
I got two updates that said "restricted access".
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
ehBeth, yep. First got the flu <chills, fever, etc.> then a few days later, the cold started. With congestion have replaced flu meds with cold and cough meds. At work generally i'm moving and sit infrequently
a good thing or i'd be asleep at the desk. Although i do really well until someone asks me a question. My responses lately? A "huh"? followed by a blank stare... Embarrassed I can relate Smile
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:54 pm
All clicked - - -

Great Orca photos HofT - thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:18 pm
danon5 wrote:
Setanta,
IMHO Wolfie is the most outstanding genius to write a note for us.

. . . While in the real world published genius seems to arrive from personal strife - apparently, Mozart could be alluding to his relationship with his father. (?) shrug Confused

In the letters that Leopold sent home while touring with his daughter and the boy (originally, Leopold took Wolfgang along so that he could teach him music while his sister toured and sang--but "Wolferl," as they called him, showed incredible talent), it's obvious that there was a loving relationship between the father and his children. Haydn is the real rags to riches story. I consider these two to be the most influential in all of orchestral music--and Wolferl had what i venture to say was unique talent--truly unique, never having been seen since in such a degree. Constanza wrote that "he wrote in great haste" and that he never blotted the pages, nor corrected an error. I don't think composition came so easily to Haydn, but whereas Mozart was making great things with the existing forms, Haydn created new ones--the modern symphony, the string quarter--and he was as likely to rewrite an entire movement, and in one case an entire symphony, rather than correct a passage.

Them two boys knock me out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:31 pm
danon - since we seem to have misplaced Aa and the aktbird (though I notice that andy did click today), would you like to go ahead with starting #53?

for inspiration I'll offer link

Quote:
Sedition: Fifty-three ways to lie

10/10/03 - There are two effective ways to lie. The first is to tell only part of the truth. The second is to tell the truth in such a manner that nobody will believe you. - Robert Heinlein

The English language is a magnificent and fascinating construction. It contains in its non-scientific vocabulary nearly 620,000 words, which is the most of any language and more than twice that of the runner-up (Spanish, with about 290,000). This is primarily a consequence of the checkered history of the British Isles, combined with further evolution of the language beyond the borders of Britain in America, India, and Australia.

Since most modern languages provide adequate means to express objects, actions, qualities, and ideas both concrete and ephemeral, one might wonder what function all those other words perform in the proper application of the English language. Surprisingly, most of the words do not fulfill some grammatical function idiosyncratic of English; most languages have the same principle parts of speech as English and are nearly equally verbose in executing those parts, the exceptions to this rule mainly being dead languages or languages that have not changed much from their ancient forms.

The vast plurality of the vocabulary surplus is, surprisingly, in nouns and verbs. However, this is not so nonplussing once you stop to ponder it. Most objects or concepts have at least two nouns that indicate them, and many have more. A pen is a pen, but it's also a writing implement, a stylus, and a stylograph. Noun synonyms, however, don't hold a candle (to use an idiom) to verbs that indicate conceptual action.

Let's take a verb that is dear to the heart of every politician: to lie (in the sense of truth, not physical position). Off the top of my (politician's) head, infinitives that are functionally equivalent to 'to lie' include: to fib, to prevaricate, to dissemble, to deceive, to obfuscate, to slander, and to equivocate. The politician sitting next to me added: to embellish, to spin, and to fabricate. A quick look at a pocket thesaurus indicates several more, including such juicy ones as: to falsify, to mislead, to malign, to perjure, and to pervert. All told, in common usage, there are no less than fifty-three different verbs that hold in common the expression of the concept "to not tell the truth". And that doesn't count compound verbs, of which there are hundreds. Each verb describes the same concept, but have different connotations or preconditions attached to them, thus greatly expanding the ability for subtle and accurate communication in English.

This amazing plurality and great range of choice has some unpleasant consequences, however; the subtlety of English with regard to word choice is only useful if both parties to a communication have the same range of vocabulary.

The average English-speaking person never uses more than 15,000 distinct words in their entire life, and a person with a 'great vocabulary' rarely uses more than 30,000; the entire works of William Shakespeare, the writer with the largest demonstrated vocabulary, only contain 29,066 unique words. The upshot of this startling statistic is that no English speaker really knows the English language in any exhaustive sense; the most gregarious writer employed, at best, 5% of the language. Not even addressing the issue of flexible grammar (which English has probably more than any other living language), vocabulary alone would indicate that native English speakers often confront a serious barrier to communication when it comes to connotation, subtlety, and word choice.

Why should you care? Well, the realm of unsure meaning and muddled implications is the haven for those who wish to mask their crimes in clever language, or to impugn an innocent person's reputation. It is exceedingly easy to take any immoral act and describe it in positively praiseful language, and just as easy to take any moral act and describe it such that it seems to be a horrible crime. You don't think so? Not too long ago, I watched as Faculty Senate vetoed a change proposed by Student Senators to the academic calendar rules to guarantee two weekday reading days because, in their words, it would encourage students to have 'poor academic rigor'. Now, I have to ask, how many of those professors were motivated by 'academic rigor' (a phrase most can't define if you ask; I asked), or whether it was it would interfere with their vacation plans or their academic symposia. Here we have a case of a despicably selfish motive being dressed up as a virtuous defense of the halls of academia. All it took was judicious use of the powerful instrument that is the English language.

The point is, whenever you listen to someone (especially a person of authority) justify themselves or their actions, always be wary. A fun thing to do in your head while you're listening is to take some of the words in their speeches and replace them with synonyms, and see whether it still sounds as good or as bad as the speaker intends. You may be (un)pleasantly surprised.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
Before we move, may I correct a previous entry: the baby Orca in the pic is Aurora, not Luna.

Luna is Aurora's brother who got separated from his family somehow and is wandering alone - see post by Matrix for details and links. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm
Hottie - we don't move fast 'round here - and we can always bring the baby Orca along with us Very Happy
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:17 pm
Thanks, E-Beth - one feels always so welcome on your threads. Btw, are you on C.I.'s mailing list?

He e-mailed a riotously funny picture of an orca rising up to check out a boat, and a dog leaning over the side of the boat to say hello. I can't post it here from the mailing, but asked him for the pic's internet address and hope he'll send it to me - I put that pic on my portable's start screen this a.m. and have been smiling each time the computer started...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:01 pm
Yes, I got that set of pix. I'm trying to find the originals - they were at go.to/funpic
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
grrrrrrr
haven't found out how to get at them yet
i WANT the original of the pile of fox kits - made me think of my pack
sort of like this pic sort of sends the essence of baileyness

http://www.martialartstraining.com/Art/foxes.jpg
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:20 pm
Ok, ehBeth, I'll start workin on the 53. Your post - re lying and half to no truths - sounds very interesting. Sounds like the Shrub talking.

Setanta,
You obviously have looked into the history of the two musicians. Haydn's entire living room has been installed in the museum at Eisenstadt, Austria. That's a short drive S of Vienna. And, the Wolferl, ehBeth can tell you that the "erl" attached is an endearment usually reserved for the kids but occasionally used with adults. Also, if you have the opportunity to visit Vienna - you may go by the "really big" cemetary there and see all of the famous composers burial places. Except of course that Mozart is actually buried in the St. Marxer Friedhof on the E side of the city. It is the small things like that that I like to show the people I take on tours of the city. And, the site of his actual death - the house no longer stands - but the site is known - isn't far from the residence of Salierie.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 09:48 pm
http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10089000/10089724.jpg
0 Replies