Click to save the rainforest (#52 - Down but not out)

danon5

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:20 pm
Ahhh, a new Wildclicker thread!!!

This is a good thing.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:40 pm
ehBeth, we learned so much from the threads, and yes --- Stan Rogers
music <Northwest Passage - From Fresh Water> his 'White Squall" was <if i'm not mistaken> the theme song of a movie of the same name.

The pic you posted for the new thread is the location for not only for the "Piano" movie, but also the Zena tv series! Poor Holly Hunter sitting on the sand waiting...and Zena galloping along the seashore atop her horse. What a combination Very Happy

I found a link explaining sand components including those of seashells and mollucks...black sand...and lava effects...that i found interesting.

http://www.hawaii.edu/gk-12/evolution/laurar.sand.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:46 pm
1 Carolyn I. 884 _____ 35.364 acres

2 Aktbird57 .. 865 _____ 34.666 acres

7 matrix500 890 _____ 12.583 acres

142 oststr111 821 _____ 1.146 acres

143 Bailey B. 930 _____ 1.144 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:47 pm
ehBeth, those were terrific threads! Sure hope all the wildclickers will drop in now and again to say "hi".

Hi Danon, welcome home!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:49 pm
OMG, we're almost the number l team! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:51 pm
and the clicker who is #500 has 25,857.652 sq. feet

Check your totals next time, and see how close you are to making it onto the leaderboard. There was a time when the aktbirds just dreamt of making it onto the leaderboard. Now the aktbirds are #2 - and gaining on #1 - and one of the teams that is a huge component of the aktbirds is # 7. We definitely couldn't be doing this without Matrix and her team. Well, we could, but it would be slowwwwwwwwwwwer.

Matrix - I hope you're letting your team members know that we really value them as WildClickers <doffing virtual hat to Team Matrix>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 06:53 pm
You're right, Stradee. Seeing the leaderboard numbers was a real OMIGAWD moment. Less than an acre between us and number 1.

This is great news for the rainforest!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 07:06 pm
ehBeth, i'll say! yaaayyy!!!!!!!!!!

<doffing hat to Matrix and all the wildclickers>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:46 pm
Omygawd, Stradee, you just made me so homesick for Punalu'u and the black sand beach there. It is all volcanic rock. ground fine as the finest sand, and very large turtles come out to bask sometimes. And if they're not on the beach, chances are good of seeing one or two or more of the big critters in the tide pools among the rocks, waiting for the tide to come in and give them a safe passage back out to the sea. There's an old Hawaiian legend about a turtle who rescued a drowning child and brought him back to shore. It is told to make the children understand that turtles are their friends and should not be molested in any fashion. There's a plaque and a small statue on the beach at Punalu'u to commemorate this reputed rescue.

It's barely 60 degrees F. in Boston right now and I sure as hell wish I was at Punalu'u right now, where it's only a quarter to five, still daylight, and the temp. has got to be a minimum of 75.

(Good poem, too.)
0 Replies

annoverboard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:08 pm
Just clicked... first the first time in quite a while. Glad to be back. AnnO
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:18 pm
Ann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

annoverboard

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:42 pm
Hi dlowan! So many dear, familiar names here. The avatar option's great. Mine (at least for now) is a close up of my furry friend, Minnie.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:02 pm
Love it!!!!!!!

Great photo..

So - what 's up in Ann Land????
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 11:13 pm
Merry Andrew, i've not visited Hawaii yet, but my daughter and hubby
travel to the Islands each year. Not sure if the following picture is of
Punalu, but the link directs to other Hawaiian sites as well.

http://www.hawaiipictures.com/pictures/black_sand_beach_1.html

Turtle Facts:
The good news for Hawaii's turtles is they are a protected species. Hawaii's isolation, particularly with the unihabited northern end of the Hawaiian chain of islands - turtles nest peacefully.

The Mauna Lanai resort on the big island releases hatchlings each year,
protecting them from natural predators. In the wild, only 20% of the
hatchlings survive the journey from nest to ocean.

What a cool rescue story, Merry! Thanks
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:07 am
Wow all this and Ann Overboard,too! I've been trying to track you down.

Ebeth, It's so long ago, I'd forgotten I had an account here - so when the message said that "wayfarer" was already listed, I thought it was somebody else!

Where's Aa?

Oh, Matrix, how COULD you have guessed! I'll tell you more about it tomorrow - have to run off now. Do you have my info? Do I have your email?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 05:59 am
Thanx for that great pic, Stradee. No, it's not Punalu'u; there's no cliff like that at Punalu'u. But, heck, black sand is black sand. And in Hawaii black sand is always volcanic debris.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 06:48 am
Morning,

Wow, we have a bunch of early risers this Sunday morning.

All clicked.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:07 am
G'day all!

wayfarer - Aa is working on reclaiming her Aa account here. She was here as Aa, then returned as Aatruly. Hopefully, she'll be back in her 'regular' suit soon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 07:38 am
Very cool cat avatar, AnnO. Did you take the pic?

Clicked!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:24 am
Clicking everyday, but no time for postings.

Have a great trip, wayfarer.
0 Replies