How will Trump handle losing the election?

roger

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:45 pm
@seac,
Political contributions are not deductible. I bet it's the same for campaign expenses.
seac

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:11 pm
@roger,
Roger you are right. Campaign expenses are not tax deductible. It should be though.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:18 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not sure if anyone other than Jespah has tried to answer so I'll try a serious take:

I think Trump is going to be a bigger version of Sarah Palin. By that I mean my guess is that this is the end of the road for him insofar as political campaigns go, I expect that the GOP will figure out how to get this yolk off their necks. But he'll become a political personality like Sarah Palin (but higher profile) and become a reality TV politician. And like Sarah Palin and the tea party types, he will be putting pressure on the GOP towards more extremism, while they urgently need to reform and broaden their base to appeal to the voters of the future.

In short, I expect him to be a loudmouth on the sidelines for a while but not run in the next election.
snood

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I think Trump is going to be a bigger version of Sarah Palin.

Palin has become a laughingstock for even some of her former fringe-dwelling fans. You think Trump will be, as well?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:21 pm
I have been leaning to he will become less vocal about politics and more into TV.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 11:22 pm
@snood,
Eventually of course, I'm referring to Sarah Palin right after they lost. She was a "political celebrity" for a while. I think Trump will be more so and have longer staying power.
lmur

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:46 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
....I expect that the GOP will figure out how to get this yolk off their necks....

Perhaps use the eggs for custard pies? (I have nothing substantive to add).
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:47 am
@lmur,
Lol, stupid autocorrect must not have liked "yoke".
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 03:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

This election increasingly looks like Hillary's to lose and there is not as much intrigue into its outcome to me as a result.

That's dangerous thinking, it allows people to vote for Trump as a protest, or not even bother voting. That's what happened here over Brexit, nobody thought it would happen, UKIP leader Nigel Farage even accepted defeat just after the polls closed. Then the results started trickling in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 10:50 am
@Robert Gentel,
Between the Palin negatives and Trump negatives, it seems Palin was a 'better' candidate.

This article is rather revealing:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-dunn/how-to-take-down-trump-sarah-palin_b_8113786.html
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 11:13 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not going to vote, so no matter what I think it won't affect anything (and in Texas my vote doesn't make any difference anyway).

There's entirely too much handwringing about people's political positions and opinions around here. No it's not dangerous, it won't make a single bit of difference what I do. I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning every second for the rest of my life than I do of having any influence on Trump being president or not.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You don't consider a Trump presidency dangerous?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Not only dangerous, but many top brass will leave a Trump presidency.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/16/pentagon-troops-it-s-us-or-trump.html

I wonder why the media has not made this information better known? It's really an important issue to this country.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 07:18 pm
Here's one of the obvious excuses for losing. Of course he said the primaries were rigged at the same time he was winning.

'Donald Trump pushed attention away from his criticism of the Muslim parents of a slain American soldier, questioning the integrity of the American electoral process on Monday.

"I'm afraid the election's going to be rigged, I have to be honest," Trump told a crowd in Ohio.
Trump had previously accused his rival Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party of rigging the presidential debate schedule. He also accused the Democratic National Committee of fixing its primary against Sen. Bernie Sanders.'

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/01/trump-im-afraid-election-will-be-rigged.html?_source=Facebook
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2016 07:27 pm
@izzythepush,
It's not that, I simply understand how voting works in the US and understand probabilities. My last US nexuses (I live overseas) were California and Texas. Because whoever wins the state gets all the delegates and because California is not enviably going to go to the Democrats and Texas to the Republicans I have a greater chance of being struck by lightning every second for the rest of my life than influencing the election.

Lightning is dangerous too, but you don't see me walking around with a lightning rod either.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 08:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm not going to vote, so no matter what I think it won't affect anything (and in Texas my vote doesn't make any difference anyway).

I'm not going to vote either and in Massachusetts the election vote will go to Mrs. Clinton, whether I vote or not.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 08:09 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You don't consider a Trump presidency dangerous?

No
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
For white male heteros, there might not be as much perceived risk.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 08:46 am
@snood,
Being white and hetero isn't much protection against a nuclear confrontation.
snood

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 09:46 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah I hear you. I still think that its psychological protection, if nothing else. That is, a white male hetero might feel like they have more in common and less to fear from Trump.
0 Replies