How will Trump handle losing the election?

blatham

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 03:34 pm
@izzythepush,

Sorry, missed that earlier. It's a very fine wall. But I think that was a cow audio file. A Canadian cow. They're the best cows in the world.
blatham

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 03:41 pm
By the way, very good audio file here with Brian Beutler and Norm Ornstein - 'After Trump, the Deluge" https://newrepublic.com/article/138157/primary-concerns-episode-34-trump-deluge
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:10 am
@blatham,
Here's some context.

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 05:32 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you kindly. Very gratifying to find that Britain continues to look out for it's very best colony.

(ps... whoever that 3rd tier host is, he needs to spend some time in a steam bath with Graham Norton).

(pps.... to correct the perception some might have regarding my thoughts, let me tell you that nobody has more respect for America than I have. Believe me. My respect is amazing. Nobody's ever seen anything like it.)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 05:42 am
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 05:58 am
There are reasons why I continue to harp on the consistent modern conservative strategy of de-legitimizing any Democratic president. One over-arching gain they believe can be achieved is solidifying an absolutism re anti-liberal ideology - it is, axiomatically, always wrong (unworkable, oppressive, anti-American) whereas conservative ideology is always correct and righteous.

But there are other perceived benefits as well. Here's an example:
Quote:
On Wednesday, in an essay in the Federalist, Cato Institute legal scholar Ilya Shapiro went further, suggesting that Republicans refuse to appoint any high court nominees put forward by Clinton.

“As a matter of constitutional law, the Senate is fully within its powers to let the Supreme Court die out, literally,” Shapiro wrote. “I’m not sure such a position is politically tenable — barring some extraordinary circumstance like overwhelming public opinion against the legitimacy of the sitting president — but it’s definitely constitutional.”
http://wapo.st/2eee1pE
To the degree that a sitting Dem president can be de-legitimized, to that degree conservatives like Shapiro can forward ideas or policies or strategies that appear to justify the revoking of norms - "Clinton is so bad/evil that she should never be allowed to appoint SC (or lower court) justices".

And let's note here that such strategies sit on a rejection of democracy. The popular will as expressed in an election is irrelevant wherever conservative ideas are rejected. This was most clearly evident after 2008 when Dems won the WH and both Houses and the GOP's first and main talking point was that conservative ideas and policy plans ought to be implemented because that was what Americans wanted.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 06:39 am
Here's another example of Republicans working to damage the legitimacy of a Dem president:

"House Oversight Committee Chair Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) is gearing up for “years” of investigations into Hillary Clinton’s record should she win the presidency on November 8.

“It’s a target-rich environment,” Chaffetz told the Washington Post in a story out Wednesday. “Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.” http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jason-chaffe...

This strategy began in earnest when Bill Clinton arrived in the WH. The extremist element on the right had become very influential during Reagan's presidency and Clinton's victory over Bush Sr was seen as a vile usurpation of conservatives' proper place as the imperial power in the nation. Then we saw it all happen again with Obama. And now we are seeing it repeat even before the election has taken place.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 06:43 am
@farmerman,
I work at a private college for 6 years now.

I have an excellent sense of humor. Maybe it's too cerebral for you?
DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 06:50 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe it's too cerebral for you?

Maybe you do have a sense of humor.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 06:51 am
@McGentrix,
You didn't exactly answer his question: when did you leave government work to go work at Liberty University as campus PD?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:37 am
@blatham,
Quote blatham:
Quote:
This strategy [endless investigation of Democratic presidents] began in earnest when Bill Clinton arrived in the WH. The extremist element on the right had become very influential during Reagan's presidency and Clinton's victory over Bush Sr was seen as a vile usurpation of conservatives' proper place as the imperial power in the nation. Then we saw it all happen again with Obama. And now we are seeing it repeat even before the election has taken place.

That hit the nail on the head. FDR was such a pivotal figure in American history and for 40 years after he was gone the Democrats dominated politics in the US. When Reagan won big he was considered by conservatives the Conservative Roosevelt-the man whose legacy would dominate American politics for decades after. Then when Reagan's vice president, Bush 41, won, (making it three consecutive terms of a GOP White House), the concept of the White House becoming permanently Republican became written in stone in the conservative viewpoint.

Adding to the confidence, in 1992 Bush 41 was riding high with his victory over Saddam Hussein in Kuwait, most of the first line Democrats were passing 1992 by and were aiming for 1996, when they figured they would not have to face an incumbent then-popular Republican. That left the Democrats to fight it out among the second teamers for what appeared to be a doomed nomination. Against this competition, Clinton achieved the nomination.

So when Clinton actually won the election, the conservatives, stoked by daily tirades on the newly popular talk radio, were in high dudgeon. How dare this stupid hick from Arkansas that nobody even knew six months ago become President?. After that, the nonstop "scandals" commenced, followed by nonstop investigations, and here we are.

One of the things that is going to be most satisfying, should Mrs. Clinton win, is that all the hate and vituperation flung at the Clintons and the Obamas will have netted the Republicans zero as far as the White House goes, and the loss of an entire generation as far as the future goes. Young people aren't buying the Republicans' message, and that will hurt them down the line as well.
oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
you need to make sense and try to verbalize your positions with something more than baseless opinions. You are evidence free. J ever notice that your entire argument degrades into repeating slogans about how dems want to tqke your guns??.

Hold on here. Just what is supposed to be baseless?

You have frequently expressed your desire to see the Second Amendment repealed so that laws could be passed that would otherwise violate people's rights.

You know very well that the goal of the Democratic Party is the complete eradication of American freedom. You have first-hand knowledge of it.

What is wrong with me pointing out that the Democrats are out to violate our rights, when that is exactly what they are doing?
saab

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:55 am
A bus in Copenhagen advertising for US Americans to vote
There is a video
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sf-blander-sig-i-amerikansk-valgkamp-med-trumps-rullende-oejne#!/
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:57 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
the Democratic Party is the complete eradication of American freedom

You really do live in another universe. Show us proof that the democrats are taking away American freedoms?

Rather, it's the republicans working to suppress voters and voting in this country.

I know facts don't mean much to you, but here's some of the credible articles on republican suppression on voting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/republican-voter-suppression/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/opinion/republicans-and-voter-suppression.html?_r=0
blatham

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:28 pm
@Blickers,
Nice post, Blickers. Thanks.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:39 pm
@Blickers,
With the GOP "no" congress, I think the American people are tired of the useless GOP members. With Trump at the helm of their party, many GOP congress members are denouncing Trump. Interesting times.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:07 pm
@saab,
Quote saab:
Quote:
A bus in Copenhagen advertising for US Americans to vote
There is a video
http://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/sf-blander-sig-i-amerikansk-valgkamp-med-trumps-rullende-oejne#!/

I saw it-it's very funny. If you are interested, use Google translate. I don't think a Danish party making an anti-Trump advertisement aimed at Americans living in Denmark constitutes "interfering with an American election". Non Americans have the right to voice their opinions on American politics.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You really do live in another universe. Show us proof that the democrats are taking away American freedoms?

It is kind of silly to ask for proof after it has just been provided dozens of times.

All those crazed attempts to violate the Second Amendment that the Democrats always perpetrate over and over again count as attempts to abolish our freedom.

cicerone imposter wrote:
Rather, it's the republicans working to suppress voters and voting in this country.

Telling Democrats that they can't cheat is hardly voter suppression.

cicerone imposter wrote:
I know facts don't mean much to you,

Don't be so dishonorable. I'm the one who always adheres to facts.
parados

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
All those crazed attempts to violate the Second Amendment that the Democrats always perpetrate over and over again count as attempts to abolish our freedom.

Please give us one piece of legislation used to ban all guns proposed by Democrats.

You have already said that banning some guns is OK. (We will see if you can be consistent in your arguments.)
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:36 pm
@oralloy,
You consider your opinion as fact. Beyond silly. You have never provided any credible source for your opinion.